IGNORED

Things you like and/or learn from Fundies- mostly Duggars

homeschoolmomma1

I like the idea of being debt free and our family will continue to try- I think I got the idea from the Duggars in early specials, but it really took off from Dave Ramsey corse.

hmmm I can't think of anything else...

So what do you all like and/or learn from the Duggars or Fundies in general.

I like the idea of having a big family....sometimes. But never Duggar big, maybe 8-10. I mainly think of how I could do it way better than them.

I also wear skirts most of the time now, but mainly short ones.

Some of the ideas to keep stuff organised are good too, the common sense ones anyway, not ones that take away the children's individuality or are about shoving as many kids in one small space.

Sometimes I get good recipes/natural-living ideas from them. I used to part of a homemaking/homesteading group on FB that was made up of almost all fundie or fundie-lite women, and there were always good veggie-heavy recipes, advice for gardening, and other little life hacks. I was little sad when the admin shut down the group so she could spend more time in prayer.

I also like wearing long skirts, but then again I've always preferred skirts over pants.

I can't think of a damned thing.. There are things that I feel the fun does have sorta co-opted from the hippies. I'll probably pull my hair back with a bandanna till I get it cut post-Xmas. I like wearing long skirts sometimes, but I don't want to be thought of a fundie. Of course, my skirts do have a hippie vibe to them; they are not the long denim things that J'slaves wear.

On a recent flight to Memphis, a fellow passenger asked me as we walked toward baggage claim if I were an old hippie. He was one to!

Not a single thing except learning I don't want to be their type of Christian.

I like the idea of being debt-free but I think for most people (i.e. anyone who wants to go to college) it would be tough and maybe even impossible to ne debt free.

I also like the idea of family being close to each other as long as everyone does have a life outside of their family as well.

I like that they've got me to appreciate my family for not being fundie nuts, and the fact that I am able to live life as an independent woman, ie go to university, get a job and move out which I would not get to do if I was a SAHD.

I always liked the debt free idea. I had managed to get debt free, including my house (condo), but then I got married and it all went to hell. Not that Mr. Womb is a big spender, but he did have a mortgage and then we got a job transfer to an expensive state...

Anyway, I didn't learn that from fundies, but it is certainly a value we have in common.

To take my birth control pill every morning.

I love your response, countessrascal!

That reminds me of something my sister-in-law told me a few months ago. My niece had gotten married this summer. She is still in college and has a year or two left. Anyway, her mom told me that when the newlyweds were going on their honeymoon and had to come back because the bride had forgotten her birth control. My niece was homeschooled most of the time ( mom and dad are teachers) and was maybe raised a bit fundie-lite, but no kiddies for her right away.

The only things I've learned from anyof them is what not to do/how not to live.

Agree!! Makes me greatful for everything that I have. I am glad that in my world I don't have to marry I guy I don't really know or even like and have more kids then I can handle.

I like wearing long skirts and I like having long hair.

I like the idea of being debt free.

I like the character qualities they claim to espouse but completely fail at.

Other than that, I can't think of much.

That I might not want kids at all and that's okay. Or maybe 1. Needing a hockey bus to drive somewhere? Oh hell no. Not ever.

I like the idea of being debt-free but I think for most people (i.e. anyone who wants to go to college) it would be tough and maybe even impossible to ne debt free.

I also like the idea of family being close to each other as long as everyone does have a life outside of their family as well.

This! I would rather be paying student loans then not have the college degree. We also have a mortgage. It's less then it would be for us to rent so I think it was a better choice for us.

I learned to make sure I give my children plenty of individual attention and allow them to do things around their own interests. Not that the Duggars do that but watching the show really brings home the importance fo those things for me.

Fundies have taught me a few things.

Fundies pulled me out of the feminist closet. For many years I would not admit I was a feminist. Honestly I did not see the need for feminism. I was raised by a father who supported everything I did and I was surrounded by equally like minded men. Then I stumbled upon the "prairie muffin manifesto" and slid down the fundie rabbit hole. Suddenly I had to stand up for what I believed. Similary, fundies have helped me clarify my religious views (I'm an atheist). I have also picked some useful tips on cooking , home organization, cleaning, menu planning etc. I have no interest in household duties and really just want to get on with things in the most efficient fashion. Why not let the fundies who seem to glory in housework do the heavy lifting (so to speak) in planing and organizing the house stuff.

From the Duggers I learned this: NEVER get a perm like their girls have or use the amount of hairspray JB does.

This.

Agreed.

And debt-free is nice, but for me, it isn't realistic. Once I'm done with school - two BAs, one law degree, and a mediation certification - I'll be about 200k in the hole.

And we just bought our house in April, so...

Guest Anonymous

1. To be grateful that I have a husband, not a headship.

2. To also appreciate being able to think/read/listen to/watch anything I please.

3. To feel sorrow for other women who don't have (1) and (2)

Things I like: the more trendy clothes. I know fundies' motivation for it is COMPLETELY different than mine, but its nice how they can still look pretty without wearing short skirts and low-cut tops. For me its really a comfort issue, I don't like showing off too much cleavage. I like long skirts, I like layered tops. I don't like the sexist bullshit that men can't control themselves so I have to dress differently.

What I've learned from fundies:

-That fundamentalism is full of nutcases and psychopaths

-That fundamentalism is nothing without the abuse of women and children

-That a theocracy run by fundies would be an utter failure and what political scientists might colloquially refer to as a clusterfuck.

Good things that that Fundies have taught me:

--I like the idea of being debt free. I'm a fan of thrift shops(but I couldn't buy stuff like shoes or underwear 'cause EWWWW)

--Being appreciative of my family and the fact that I'm free to do as I wish and not have to have a headship.

--Being appreciative of the fact that I've been exposed to a lot of things thru travel/books/movies/reading/music/school and the fact that I can pursue anything I wish.

--Crafts....though I couldn't wear frumpers ALL the time.

==============

Bad Things:

--The Duggars and their ilk are the most ignorant bunch of people that Ive ever seen and I hope like hell that I never have the pleasure of running into any of them because I might seriously slap the ignorance out of them.

--I despise the fact that the certain folks in the Republican Party are Hellbent on making this country into a Christian theocracy.

-- My cat is more Christian than some of these people and he just stares and mews for food or bites when he wants affection.

--For a bunch of Christians, they are more prejudiced than anyone that I ever met. Why aren't they raising money for Sandy victims...or even doing something nice for the Sandy Hook kids? Instead of going on and on about how it's the WOMMINS/TAKING GOD OUT OF SCHOOLS/EBIL GAYZ/F**KIN LIBRULS fault, DO SOMETHING TO HONOR THEM YOU IGNORANT TRASH!

I think the debt thing is really admirable.

Jim Bob has a good work ethic, too bad Smuggar didn't inherit this but the older girls & John David did.

I think they have the best of intentions, but have sadly been sucked into this ATI thing.

Archived