IGNORED

Warren Jeffs end of the world prediction

If I were the FBI, I would be very worried right now.

Local law enforcement in the "Two Towns" is controlled by the FLDS, so they are worthless.

Arizona has been doing daily patrols since July and the department of justice is also keeping an eye on them. Still, no one is allowed on YFZ without permission or a warrant. There has been some strange building going on there all summer. Including the construction of an amphitheater.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/outside-police-to-patrol-polygamist-community/

I don't believe there will be a mass suicide but I do predict that more followers will fall away when his prediction doesn't come true. I hope that they all come to their senses and get out but I know that won't happen.

That's scary, especially as he's chosen Joseph Smith's birthday. I hope his followers dont do anything silly. Maybe when the end doesn't come more of them will join one of the splinter groups.

Are the hardcore still in Texas?

That's scary, especially as he's chosen Joseph Smith's birthday. I hope his followers dont do anything silly. Maybe when the end doesn't come more of them will join one of the splinter groups.

Are the hardcore still in Texas?

There has been little news from the ones at Texas. There are reports that some of the people have been moving to other communities around the country.

There has been little news from the ones at Texas. There are reports that some of the people have been moving to other communities around the country.

Weren't there rumblings about the Texas group moving to North Dakota? Or maybe it was some other group.

Apparently there aren't that many people at YFZ any more. Some may have gone to Pringle, SD, and there's another "refuge" somewhere in Colorado. Another thing to keep in mind is that the state of Texas has posted a seizure notice for YFZ and there's likely to be a sheriff's sale soon. Some of the heavy equipment seems to have been shipped off to Pringle and the ampitheatre was abandoned.

One of my friends is guardian ad litem (that is, she represents the interests of the kids) for eight children of a polygamist father who was kicked out of the FLDS. The judge just gave primary custody to the father earlier this month because the mothers couldn't guarantee the minor children wouldn't be married off, kicked out or shipped out of state. My friend spent part of last weekend in Colorado City. I've dropped her a line to see if she knows anything about the end of the world talk. Oh, and this isn't the first time, either. The FLDS version of the rapture was supposed to have occurred something like 15 years ago. Obviously, it did not.

mmmm....Pringles.

I just don't understand sticking with something after the prophet was so obviously wrong. But, I guess. brainwashing.

mmmm....Pringles.

I just don't understand sticking with something after the prophet was so obviously wrong. But, I guess. brainwashing.

Psychologists and sociologists have done studies on this, and there is always a certain percentage of people who will just double down on believing, even in the face of overwhelming refutation of the doomsday predictions. There's a great book from the 1950s called When Prophecy Fails, by Leon Festinger and others, about a UFO cult in the US and what happened when the sky brethren didn't come. One of the things the researchers found was that there were certain people in the group to whom group identity was more important than objective reality, and those people reinforced each others' beliefs.

I worry about the children. This all sounds like a Jonestown in the making.

He cancelled Christmas about three weeks ago, all decorations had to taken down. Anyone that were celebrated Christmas would be excommunicated, wives and children would be taken from them and given to someone who followed the rules.

Whew! I was so worried about tonight, but I'm safe until Sunday. NASA told me it's not true, but I believe Warren Jeffs. His predictions always come true.

But for real, I am worried about those poor people in the cult. Generally with fundies, I only really feel sorry for the children, but in the case of the FLDS, even the adult women don't have a choice or a chance to leave. It really just makes me so sad.

This is all very, very worrisome. Rather than joke about Mayan predictions, I've been wondering/worrying about the possibility of FLDS mass suicide. If Warren Jeffs decided the members should all die, is there really anything law enforcement could do to stop them? How often does Jeffs communicate with FLDS community leaders? Are these communications monitored, so law enforcement could possibly interfere ahead of time?

This is all very, very worrisome. Rather than joke about Mayan predictions, I've been wondering/worrying about the possibility of FLDS mass suicide. If Warren Jeffs decided the members should all die, is there really anything law enforcement could do to stop them? How often does Jeffs communicate with FLDS community leaders? Are these communications monitored, so law enforcement could possibly interfere ahead of time?

I also wonder this. I know that the authorities are not allowed on the property, but would they be able to get there in time to make a difference if a mass suicide was ordered? It really scares me. I know that they are probably on alert that it might happen, but the FLDS seem to be very good about dodging authorities and finding legal loopholes. It's all just really scary. I really hope that another prediction fails to come true without much acknowledgement. I also really hope that people see the light after this.

I also wonder this. I know that the authorities are not allowed on the property, but would they be able to get there in time to make a difference if a mass suicide was ordered? It really scares me. I know that they are probably on alert that it might happen, but the FLDS seem to be very good about dodging authorities and finding legal loopholes. It's all just really scary. I really hope that another prediction fails to come true without much acknowledgement. I also really hope that people see the light after this.

I also worry about a possible mass suicide, as Warren Jeffs is crazy enough to order it, and he's brainwashed his followers to the point where they might follow through with it. Carolyn Jessop even said that she thought Warren might order such a thing in her book Escape, and since he still controls his cult from prison, it's a scary possibility.

Why the hell is he allowed to communicate thqs much with the sheeple while serving a life sentence.

Why the hell is he allowed to communicate thqs much with the sheeple while serving a life sentence.

Because we don't take away all the rights of the incarcerated. Although I have found myself wishing he'd break the rules so his ability to make phone calls would be taken away.

Anyway, per my friend: The FLDS are expecting Warren's imminent deliverance from prison. Problem is, he's not getting out of prison and the world is not going to end. And when the world doesn't end it will be the followers' fault. It's their fault he is in prison. If they were more righteous they would be worthy of having Warren's most "holy" and "righteous" self in their midst. *snort* One of the men kicked out for not being righteous enough said *he* was concerned that Warren may have them chugging the Flavor-Aid. (If a former high-ranking follower says this, I think it's worth noting.) Warren recently decreed all males were to get circumcised. A mental health professional my friend talked to believes this type of demand for mutilation is a sign of escalation towards possible violence.

"Jeffs is one scary, narcissistic sociopath." -- that's a quote, and N. should know, she's been having to deal with the fallout of Warren's crazy now for a couple of years.

I believe the Mohave county sheriff is aware and I have no doubt they'll lay on extra patrols and have contingency plans in place if something weird goes down.

I don't know how it is post-conviction, but pre-conviction, he was being held in a private jail. Basically, in these privately-held prisons, if a prisoner has money, he pretty much can pay for just about anything short of his freedom, because private prisons are all about money, not justice. Jeffs could afford the hugely over-inflated price of phone cards and literally spend all day on the phone with his minions, which he pretty much did.

Yeah, privatization is always a great idea. :roll:

Beyond creepy

"We are very concerned because we are seeing that movement of children being separated from their parents,†said Tonia Tewell, executive director of Holding Out HELP, a non-profit group that helps those seeking to leave polygamy.

Tewell traveled to Colorado City, Arizona and Hildale, Utah this past weekend to deliver food and supplies to residents now that the only grocery store in town is closed.

Tewell fears that FLDS members in Utah and Arizona might be making a similar trek soon. She said she saw evidence of that Sunday night when she witnessed children being loaded on a bus.

“We watched them drive down the street and load other children up,†Tewell recalled “We definitely saw the pillows and did see the children trying to get into the storage compartment below the big bus.â€

Tewell said her organization received several calls this past week from mothers inside the FLDS community who said they were being asked to sign away their children.

“Technically Lyle Jeffs is their father or Warren is their father,†Tewell said.

Former FLDS member Isaac Wyler said he has also seen evidence of families being broken up.

“They call them ‘velcro marriages’ now because they can come apart and be put together so easily,†Wyler said. “Children are working on their fourth dad.â€

Wyler said parents are being told not to show affection towards their children.

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/st ... 3195.shtml

IIRC, the end of the world has been predicted by Jeffs/FLDS more than once, and when it fails to happen, it is because the people aren't devout enough to be raptured (or whatever the FLDS term is).

In other words, it would never be Jeffs' fault, it would be the fault of the followers for not being good enough.

CNN's about to run a segment about this. Apparently FLDS shops are closing and police are very worried about the situation.

CNN's about to run a segment about this. Apparently FLDS shops are closing and police are very worried about the situation.

Here's a link to the video: http://www.cnn.com/video/?utm_source=dl ... -times.cnn

To quote my attorney friend, "It's pretty crazy there right now." There are unsubstantiated rumors kids are being moved around, but even tracking that would be difficult. If you watch the video, you'll see why--observers are harassed by young men in what are called "plyg rigs." The main grocery store is closed and it's my understanding there's not even a convenience store to buy groceries at. Not everyone in Hildale/Colorado City are members of the FLDS, there are the members of the Centennial Park community (aka "Second Ward") that split off something like 20+ years ago and there are more than a few people who have been kicked out of the community. The hope is that if the grocery store doesn't reopen, someone from Centennial Park will open one, but I'm thinking the faithful are going to run out of food before that eventuality occurs.

And, of course, the Second Coming is not going to occur and Warren Jeffs is not going to be miraculously delivered from the jail cell that he is justly incarcerated in. And his followers will be berated by him and piled on with even more actions designed to prove their faithfulness and loyalty. Not a good situation.

I think that is partially due to the FLDS getting everything from a distribution center now. Warren Jeffs told everyone to take all of their possessions to the distribution center. Its then redistributed according to Warrens will.

Archived