IGNORED

The Pope, blessing someone trying to execute gay people

Gil

I see shit like the OP and have to ask: Why are people still Catholic? Especially those that insist they're not homophobic and use birth control and are not "like that," why do they even bother? What exactly does the church do that is so amazing that people are willing to be a part of such a shitty organization?! /end rant

What exactly is a "blessing"? What is involved? What does it signify? I've never understood this.

It's exactly what it sounds like. The Pope himself conveying a blessing to a person. It's a pretty BFD to be touched by the holy father. They see him as being the closest being on earth to God. Being touched by him is like being touched by God.

Why are people still Catholic? Well, I can only speak for me. And I'm pretty sure I'm considered the heretical cafeteria type. Man isn't infalliable. I can still abide by the basic doctrines of Catholicism and not submit to the bat shit crazy of anti abortion, gay marriage, birth control, etc. None of that is in the bible. I guess I always looked at it like... I dunno, having Bush for president. I hated him and everything he did, but I never ceased to believe what America stands for. He wasn't everything the country was about, just like I believe there is so much more to Catholicism than whatever idiocy comes out of Ratzinger's trap. I still can't get over the fact that one of the first things he spoke out against was Harry freaking Potter. We were at war, and he talks about a children's book being EBIL.

My Catholic influence was my maternal grandmother (who I saw every day of my life growing up and was incredibly close to), and I have to admit, that she is a great deal of the reason I remain so bonded to this church. She came here from Italy, was a devout Catholic, and I loved hearing bible stories from her, all her rosaries, and the smell of incense and candles and the wonderfully dramatic ritualism. She died unexpectedly, and to cope with the overwhelming loss, I turned to the church. There are times when I can close my eyes, hear soft Latin chants, and kneeling there in the pew, I swear if I turned my head I would see her there next to me. I can't let that connection go. It's why Steve and I want to marry in a Catholic church -- not a mass ceremony since he isn't Catholic -- I want her there with me that day. I can't take my fiance home to her and ask her blessing, but I will ask for the blessing of her church, which meant so much to her.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'd be considered a heretic by conservative Catholics. I'm not doing any family planning bull, I will not submit to a husband, and sorry, I still eat meat on Fridays. I focus on the love and acceptance and tolerance and charity that Jesus implored for his church to be built on. I believe in communion, and I pray to the saints. I do what Christ laid out - not a corporation of corrupt men. To me, that is the heart of Catholicism.

It's exactly what it sounds like. The Pope himself conveying a blessing to a person. It's a pretty BFD to be touched by the holy father. They see him as being the closest being on earth to God. Being touched by him is like being touched by God.

This is not particularly helpful.

Does being "blessed" make you more likely to go to Heaven? Does is wipe out any sins? Or is it just like how I would have felt at 16 if I had shaken hands with a Beatle?

I think that it means now God will look more favorable on you, if you are blessed by a holy person, especially a Pope. Things are more likely to go your way, you may be more prosperous, have better health, etc. I'm an exChristian and I know that a lot of people think having elders and/or the pastor of the church praying for them, anointing oil on their heads, etc will bring special healing etc.

What a horrible, horrible act by this awful, petty, hatemongering man.

Here is a headline about the pope that made me laugh at him this week (from The Stranger's Slog):

That Motherfucking Power-Hungry, Self-Aggrandized Bigot In the Stupid Fucking Hat Joins Twitter

Goddamn, I am sick to death of the bigotry.

I was highly entertained by the Pope sending his first Twitter message, how entirely appropriate for a Twit like him to miss the send button and have a lackey do it for him. He "blessed" followers in his tweet? Huh? I thought a blessing occurred when the Pope or other priest looked at you and made the sign of the cross on your forehead or raised his hand or whatever? Nope, blessings can now be sent through cyberspace.

As for him blessing a murderer, yep, that's what Rome does. One look at history and there you have it.

This is not particularly helpful.

Does being "blessed" make you more likely to go to Heaven? Does is wipe out any sins? Or is it just like how I would have felt at 16 if I had shaken hands with a Beatle?

No, being blessed does not up your chances of going to heaven, and it doesn't wipe out sin. The best I can describe it is the person doing the blessing asks God to be with the person they bless. My grandmother was on her deathbed, and I had to go home to the States. I didn't tell her I was going, just said, "I have to leave now, yiayia, as I did every day I was there during her final days. She was so weak, but she raised both her hands and said "May the Lord bless you and keep you, and may His light shine upon you all the days of your life." She had never said that before. THAT is a blessing. I didn't get a ticket to heaven, but I sure got all the love my grandma had to give, which is good enough for me. I suppose it kind of was like shaking hands with John Lennon.

Mela, I total understand you about wanting to marry in the Catholic church based on the love you had for grandmother.

Fuck Ratzinger and all the religious power feeders to the 50th circle of hell. I'm sure Jesus had no issue with gay people but would have major issues with Benedict.

What a horrible, horrible act by this awful, petty, hatemongering man.

Here is a headline about the pope that made me laugh at him this week (from The Stranger's Slog):

That Motherfucking Power-Hungry, Self-Aggrandized Bigot In the Stupid Fucking Hat Joins Twitter

Goddamn, I am sick to death of the bigotry.

Just checking that you do know that title is from Tim Minchin's "Pope Song", because if not you must give it a listen.

He's just so fucking pro-life, isn't he?

He's pro-life unless you're gay, a woman, not a Catholic... basically he's pro fetus. But once they're born, the Pope doesn't care.

This sickens me but I'm not surprised.

Archived