IGNORED

‘Queer at Patrick Henry College’ vexes school’s chancellor

silvia

http://www.loudountimes.com/index.php/n ... cellor456/

OK, this sounds positively Orwellian: Patrick Henry College's chancellor proclaims that because gay people are not permitted at the school, it's simply impossible for them to exist. As head of an educational institution, Michael Farris is doing a bang-up job teaching his students how to deal with 'sin' in the wider world: cover your ears and screech, "I can't heeeeeeeear you!"

But bully for the former students/ blog writers for starting a real dialogue about issues of sexuality on campus!

(Edited to update link.)

I can understand people who say they don't approve of homosexuality. Whatever, that's dumb, but okay, they can disapprove of it. I disapprove of people who wear clothes with huge store/brand logos on them, Uggs, and too much perfume.

But the people who say they "don't believe in" homosexuality - really? It's not a GHOST we're talking about here. There's no doubt that homosexuality exists. You can disapprove of it, hate it, get mad at gay people, whatever, but this bullshit about how they don't believe in it makes me THE CRAZY. It's like saying you don't believe in your goddamned CHAIR. It exists independent of your belief, asshole.

I can understand people who say they don't approve of homosexuality. Whatever, that's dumb, but okay, they can disapprove of it. I disapprove of people who wear clothes with huge store/brand logos on them, Uggs, and too much perfume.

But the people who say they "don't believe in" homosexuality - really? It's not a GHOST we're talking about here. There's no doubt that homosexuality exists. You can disapprove of it, hate it, get mad at gay people, whatever, but this bullshit about how they don't believe in it makes me THE CRAZY. It's like saying you don't believe in your goddamned CHAIR. It exists independent of your belief, asshole.

There was a great editorial in the NYT a few years ago talking about how people really need to stop saying they "don't believe in" evolution, because it's not Santa Claus--the theory of evolution exists independently of whether or not you "believe" in it, and to act as though you get to pick and choose which scientific principles exist in your world is ridiculous. I wish I could find it--it was awesome!

http://www.loudountimes.com/index.php/news/article/queer_at_patrick_henry_college_vexes_schools_chancellor/

OK, this sounds positively Orwellian: Patrick Henry College's chancellor proclaims that because gay people are not permitted at the school, it's simply impossible for them to exist. As head of an educational institution, Michael Farris is doing a bang-up job teaching his students how to deal with 'sin' in the wider world: cover your ears and screech, "I can't heeeeeeeear you!"

But bully for the former students/ blog writers for starting a real dialogue about issues of sexuality on campus!

This link may work better.

http://www.loudountimes.com/index.php/n ... cellor456/

Some people feel that anyone can be "tempted" to do homosexual acts. They do not believe that anyone is intrinsically gay. Those are some of the idiots who believe that ex-gay therapy works. I also think that some of those people are so fucking deep in the closet that they should be meeting the White Witch any time now.

Some of the people who are leaders in the LGBT community here in Upstate SC are grads of Bob Jones or were faculty there till they came out and were fired.

This is the same as the Iranian president who, when questioned about his country's treatment of gays, replied there were no gays in Iran! Yeah, love fundies who decide they'd deny the existence of anyone who counters their ideas rather than face it. That's always healthy.

'Ere, when I lived in Japan I was told by one of my university lecturers "There are no homosexuals in Japan and there never have been". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My response to that was "Poor Mishima. He must have been bloody lonely." *headdesk*

'Ere, when I lived in Japan I was told by one of my university lecturers "There are no homosexuals in Japan and there never have been". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My response to that was "Poor Mishima. He must have been bloody lonely." *headdesk*

Laughing. Can't do emoticons on TapaTalk, but that is bloody funny!

Some people feel that anyone can be "tempted" to do homosexual acts. They do not believe that anyone is intrinsically gay. Those are some of the idiots who believe that ex-gay therapy works. I also think that some of those people are so fucking deep in the closet that they should be meeting the White Witch any time now.

There's a reason many anti-homosexual activists will ping people's gaydar. In my experience, the straighter you are, the less you care about people being gay, because it simply doesn't affect you.

It's the same old "LALALA I CANNOT HEAR WHAT YOU SAY LALALA" business. If they say it loudly enough and often enough, it becomes truth.

If this kind of behavior isn't enough to convince Patrick Henry students and professors that their leader is a false prophet, I don't know what will.

My local fundie church's sign this week read "Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make it any less true" and I thought immediately of evolution. I'm guessing that's not exactly what they meant but maybe god was guiding them to the truth.

“It’s a good question,†Kane said. “And there are a few answers ... I know for me, if my parents were going to sign off on a loan for school, it had to be fundamentalist college.†(Farris said he does not consider the school to be “fundamentalist.â€)

Looks like the not believing= not true dogma is pretty ubuquitous at PHC

Looks like the not believing= not true dogma is pretty ubuquitous at PHC

Yeah, kind of like how the Duggars don't consider themselves to be "Quiverfull." Snerk.

Archived