IGNORED

Rebeccaleventy got her house all did up for Christmas!

contrary

Meh. She's fine as she is and I'm glad she is telling her detractors to piss off.

:clap:

I can't stand it when someone says, "she would be really pretty if (insert some beauty ritual said person is supposed to subject themselves to)".

That said, I think she came across really well. She seems like a very genuine, kind person. Such a vast difference between her and some of the other bloggers we read.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She strikes me as someone who would be very loving to her kids if she had kids of her own. She seems to have a mothering vibe toward the little blond girl w/ the long hair (can't think of her name, but she has at least one brother).

It's nice to see Rebecca getting a spine and standing up for herself but it it's back to the same old same old. It's a public blog, folks are free to comment and speculate. It's nice to see that she was welcoming all the FJ posters comments.

• 1 month later...

I really think she would improve her looks with makeup-especially concealer. I wouldn't post a comment to her blog suggesting it though.

Good on her for standing up for herself!

Guest Anonymous
I really think she would improve her looks with makeup-especially concealer. I wouldn't post a comment to her blog suggesting it though.

Good on her for standing up for herself!

Isn't digging up a two-month old thread quite a strong statement to make on whether someone should wear make-up, though?

Isn't digging up a two-month old thread quite a strong statement to make on whether someone should wear make-up, though?

It's also kind of shallow? If it's her choice not to wear make-up then let it be - I choose not to wear make-up 99% of the time (mainly because I'm too lazy and rub my eyes all the time so would just destroy it) and I'm fine with that, I'm not a model or fashionista, nor is Rebeccaeleventy and she's fine with it. Snarking on batshit insane beliefs/pratices is fine, snarking on appearance, not so cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Her dad wrote a post responding to some (seemingly) old speculation here about them. Apparently he was an alcoholic. Good on him for getting sober!

Jerry must Fancy himself a Brit-lit author with those Random capitalizations.

Meanwhile, Rebecca says:

The Lord's blessed us with so much more snow than last year! I'm thankful for that. When it's winter, I like it to look and feel like it.

...because apparently winter = snow in every part of the world.

Her dad wrote a post responding to some (seemingly) old speculation here about them. Apparently he was an alcoholic. Good on him for getting sober!

Hmm, interesting read (and also interesting he calls out specifically to FJ). I hope he'll talk more about it, but I'm guessing his listed his PO box purposefully to not have to. Just doing the math of the date he listed as 1979, I'm trying to put some other facts together from his book where he states he has 5 kids (but the blog post only lists Rebecca and Annah), and I'm wondering if he was arrested for doing something and maybe spent some prison time?

I guess he'll talk more about it if he wants to.

I don't understand what he means here - could someone explain?

By the way, I was sooo far off course that when I started telling people I was saved, that asked " why was the building on fire? " They couldn't believe God would have me either.

Guest Anonymous

I think he is saying that he was behaving so badly, at that time, that the only reason they could think of for him turning to God was if the building was on fire and he turned to God in a panic, thinking he was about to die.

I don't understand what he means here - could someone explain?

He's a terrible writer (can't imagine what success he has had with his book), but what I took that to mean was that he was so far into his habits that his friends were probably not the type that would believe he had decided to become a Christian. And they were asking him "Why, was the building on fire?", as if he was forced to change his beliefs or jump from a burning building in order to become a Christian. Just a guess.

Guest Anonymous

Hmm, interesting read (and also interesting he calls out specifically to FJ). I hope he'll talk more about it, but I'm guessing his listed his PO box purposefully to not have to. Just doing the math of the date he listed as 1979, I'm trying to put some other facts together from his book where he states he has 5 kids (but the blog post only lists Rebecca and Annah), and I'm wondering if he was arrested for doing something and maybe spent some prison time?

I guess he'll talk more about it if he wants to.

To be fair, you have previously implied that he may have committed one of the worst crimes imaginable, based on the way the family appears to you in photos - what on earth do you expect him to say?

I don't have great admiration for any family that keeps their daughters poorly educated and at home as a general policy matter, but unless there is any real evidence of other wrongdoing, I think we need to be careful of not crossing a line here.

LOL -- amazing the difference that a little comma can make.

"Why was the building on fire?" and "Why, was the building on fire?" can make a huge difference in interpretation.

There's a little book out there for any of you punctuation lovers that's been out for many years called "Eats, Shoots & Leaves". A must-read, for sure. Especially if you are planning to write a book and not hire a professional editor!

To be fair, you have previously implied that he may have committed one of the worst crimes imaginable, based on the way the family appears to you in photos - what on earth do you expect him to say?

I don't have great admiration for any family that keeps their daughters poorly educated and at home as a general policy matter, but unless there is any real evidence of other wrongdoing, I think we need to be careful of not crossing a line here.

I don't count myself an expert on sexual abuse AT ALL. I have just learned a lot of the tragedy through personal friends I've known all my life that I had no idea were being abused. They look almost normal on the outside when you are young and their age and then you realize years and years later, when they tell you what was going on, that there really was something going on.

And I was not implying with my last statement that JK is an abuser. I just wonder if he got arrested for some other beverage-related trouble and spent some time in jail/prison.

ETA: Apologize for this being incredibly poorly written, but I am tired and waiting for dough to rise so my kids can have cinnamon rolls in the morning.

Off topic, looking through some of the cake pics I really really really just want to send Rebecca one of those thingies that trims the top of the cake so it is level. If you're going to decorate a cake you need it to be level, you can't just slap frosting on a cake right out of the oven b/c they are never even on top. The girl has potential because she clearly has something she likes to do but no one is really encouraging her by letting/pushing her to get trained and find a place outside of the house to do her craft.

Off topic, looking through some of the cake pics I really really really just want to send Rebecca one of those thingies that trims the top of the cake so it is level. If you're going to decorate a cake you need it to be level, you can't just slap frosting on a cake right out of the oven b/c they are never even on top. The girl has potential because she clearly has something she likes to do but no one is really encouraging her by letting/pushing her to get trained and find a place outside of the house to do her craft.

Oh! A Cake Leveler. They are super awesome and not very expensive.

Rebecca does have potential and I think she's a genuinely nice, caring and compassionate person. The young lady can wrap gifts like nobody's business judging from her photos. I can put a gift in a bag.... :cry:

I've identified with Rebecca, having had a hopeless love for a guy who was just totally unavailable.* If I've commented negatively on her before, it's because I was careless with my posting and I'm properly ashamed.

That disclaimer aside, I find Mr. Jerry's post to be both oblique and .... what can I say? -- faithful! He describes the saving grace of God as I was raised to understand it. "God is merciful; God's mercy toward me is not for a thing I've done right, but for Jesus' sacrifice for me."

So at this point, I've got a bit of identification with him, too.

And believe me, I've identified with the wife/mother, having been an emotional overeater most of my life, and it shows.

All that said, let's do the math. If Rebecca turns 21 this year, she was born in 1992.

Jerry's conversion happened in 1979 -- 13 years before Rebecca was born. Let's say Jerry was 19 at the time - he had plenty of time between birth in 1960 and conversion in 1979 to have done some pretty rotten things. None of them could involve family members who weren't born 'til he was in his 30s.

I think his capitalization of certain words is more for emphasis than random capping. Doubt he's interested in learning about italics or bolding, as this was a one-time, guest post.

And yep, but for a comma, his wry ending would have been pretty clear.

I just hope Rebecca finds a nice guy who isn't a Maxwell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The guy I loved was so handsome, well-groomed, funny and loved Broadway shows! Why did he have to be gay? Whyyyyyyy???

I still say that this family is MILES and MILES ahead of some of the creepy bullshit we typically see here. They at least appear kind and humble, and I believe that they all love each other. Do I totally disagree with their lifestyle? You bet. But I get the vibe that they are decent people.

Also, the comments on how she could improve her looks are just disgusting. She doesn't need to change herself for anyone.

**disclaimer** There may be things I haven't read that would change my mind about them.

Woah sorry my comment about concealer improving her looks was such a touchy one for so many people

I have those same dark circles under my eyes & feel naked without concealer. If I don't wear it people make comments about how unwell I look :)

No offense meant-seems i really pissed people off. Must have sounded a lot worse that I meant it.

Woah sorry my comment about concealer improving her looks was such a touchy one for so many people

I have those same dark circles under my eyes & feel naked without concealer. If I don't wear it people make comments about how unwell I look :)

No offense meant-seems i really pissed people off. Must have sounded a lot worse that I meant it.

Delurking to say that I thought it was okay.

Listen, Rebecca was raised by her parents to be a wife... they have denied her the opportunity to have choices. But, now they have realized (like so many fundy parents) that they need their very own stay at home helpmeet house elf and so they encourage her to stay frumpy and look old and worn so that no man will look at her twice. I can't imagine that she's happy being ignored and passed over by any men that she comes in contact with. And I doubt that it is truly her choice to stay frumpy. I doubt she's ever made a significant choice in her life. She will be kept as a child, constant companionship for her parents, and extra help in housework for forever. This is equally true for the Seven Sisters and many other fundie girls. their parents raise them to be objects for a man and then they will keep them as objects for their own uses.

How can you be delurking, 11 minutes after your last post?! :mrgreen:

Ya, just delurked today for a bit. I should have said delurking again... back to lurking...

Guest Anonymous

Ya, just delurked today for a bit. I should have said delurking again... back to lurking...

Ah, I was only kidding! You have a high post count and your name is familiar so I didn't know you had been in lurkdom. :)

ya, been trying to do less of the internet thing and didn't want to be in the midst of the regime change drama so I just read up on my favorite cray cray fundies and then lurked back into the hole that is school.

Archived