It seems that most of the other fundies we discuss here, manage their money pretty wisely compared to Abigail and Jon. They seem to be the worst so far. I'm still not a huge fan of Zsu and PP, but Zsu would never spend money on a renting a cello or taking fencing lessons while on a limited budget. The only time I can see giving a injured child a $20 plus dollar gift is if it is broken bone and you have the money for it. I broke my ankle when I was 13 right when summer vacation started. My parents bought me CDs and a couple of other things like board games. If my parents didn't have money for that stuff, they probably wouldn't have bought stuff for me.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still playing amateur psychiatrist, I'm convinced that Abigail has NPD. She has NEEDS; other people, including her children, have WANTS (including food, medical care and emotional support). The prognosis for her ever being able to see anything/anyone except herself as the center of the world is zero. And I do believe she will wind up with adopted kids. Much--not all, so don't jump on me here--of adoption is an industry, and where there is a willing consumer someone will find a way to fulfill her wishes. As posts from other crazy adoptive fundies have shown, there are networks that provide children without much regard to the life they will live with their adopters. I would be very happy to be proven wrong in the case of Abigail.

And I still can't believe anyone thinks a pre-assembled (she said she was going to put it together) model of the city of Paris is an appropriate present for any child. Even a Parisian one.

Still playing amateur psychiatrist, I'm convinced that Abigail has NPD. She has NEEDS; other people, including her children, have WANTS (including food, medical care and emotional support). The prognosis for her ever being able to see anything/anyone except herself as the center of the world is zero. And I do believe she will wind up with adopted kids. Much--not all, so don't jump on me here--of adoption is an industry, and where there is a willing consumer someone will find a way to fulfill her wishes. As posts from other crazy adoptive fundies have shown, there are networks that provide children without much regard to the life they will live with their adopters. I would be very happy to be proven wrong in the case of Abigail.

And I still can't believe anyone thinks a pre-assembled (she said she was going to put it together) model of the city of Paris is an appropriate present for any child. Even a Parisian one.

That totally makes sense, I know someone who has actually been diagnosed with NPD and she acts similarly to Abigail in regards to money. One minute she is recklessly spending money on herself, the next minute she is complaining about how she cant afford to pay the bills and is on the verge of losing her house.

This is a really good link about narcissists: http://www.lightshouse.org/npd-the-diso ... z2G0Cyyzcc

Sounds a lot like Abigail to me.

A link from the same site about narcissistic parents: http://www.lightshouse.org/the-narcissi ... z2G0Cyyzcc

Given that I have a close family member with NPD (undiagnosed, but it's obvious if you know how the disorder manifests itself), alarm bells were going off in my head every time I read Abigail's blog. She is most definitely a narcissist, and I feel really bad for her children. I used to feel bad for her husband, but now I'm convinced that he's almost as bad, if not just as bad as she is, because he constantly reinforces her and enables her insanity.

• 10 months later...
This is a really good link about narcissists: http://www.lightshouse.org/npd-the-diso ... z2G0Cyyzcc

Sounds a lot like Abigail to me.

A link from the same site about narcissistic parents: http://www.lightshouse.org/the-narcissi ... z2G0Cyyzcc

Given that I have a close family member with NPD (undiagnosed, but it's obvious if you know how the disorder manifests itself), alarm bells were going off in my head every time I read Abigail's blog. She is most definitely a narcissist, and I feel really bad for her children. I used to feel bad for her husband, but now I'm convinced that he's almost as bad, if not just as bad as she is, because he constantly reinforces her and enables her insanity.

Wow, it's chilling how well the article about narcissistic parents describes some fundie parents *cough*Michelle*cough*

I do think Abigail would profit from therapy, either that or she is just trying to out-Carmelite the Carmelites, monastic poverty, suffering like Jesus and all that. You know, something like "I can't be a real nun, but I can at least try to be more Carmelite than my fellow Third Order Carmelites, HA, TAKE THAT, worldly scum."

However crazy she might sound at times, I wouldn't wish a miscarriage like the one she had on my worst enemy.

I do think Abigail would profit from therapy, either that or she is just trying to out-Carmelite the Carmelites, monastic poverty, suffering like Jesus and all that. You know, something like "I can't be a real nun, but I can at least try to be more Carmelite than my fellow Third Order Carmelites, HA, TAKE THAT, worldly scum."

However crazy she might sound at times, I wouldn't wish a miscarriage like the one she had on my worst enemy.

She made the miscarriage so much worse, though.

Most people would have had a D&C and been done with it. She had to do it the most agonizing way possible, place an obituary in the paper, and take a free burial plot meant for a child that actually existed on the earth.

Sorry, but I lost sympathy sometime around week two of the melodrama.

Abigail seems to have a glimmering of self-awareness that she needs mental help, but then she attributes it to the wrong cause and seeks the wrong kind of help, like when she joined the support group for people with codependency problems.

I'm honestly worried that she hasn't posted in a week, except for photos of the funeral that were quickly taken down.

She made the miscarriage so much worse, though.

Most people would have had a D&C and been done with it. She had to do it the most agonizing way possible, place an obituary in the paper, and take a free burial plot meant for a child that actually existed on the earth.

Sorry, but I lost sympathy sometime around week two of the melodrama.

That's what I meant - she HAS to suffer, she has to find the most painful option of doing things and that's the one she will choose. It would be fine (if slightly strange) if she were a single woman (sitting in a Carmelite cell somewhere, maybe), but since she is married and a mother her actions have an impact on other people, for heaven's sake.

I always wonder about the husband - are they driving each other deeper into esoteric Catholic practices, is he going along with it to humor her, are they equally devout?

I always wonder about the husband - are they driving each other deeper into esoteric Catholic practices, is he going along with it to humor her, are they equally devout?

I would guess equally devout. I have known and observed a lot of men with significantly more devout wives, and for the most part they will go along to get along, except where it comes to financing the blessings of heaven ;). I don't know any man who merely goes along with his wife's religiosity who is willing to accept the possibility of a quiver of children in order not to rock the religious boat.

When I was a teenager, I babysat for a family who had a family who had a bunch of kids. The husband got a vasectomy on the sly. The wife just believed she couldn't have any more. I am guessing Jon wouldn't do this, but maybe it happens sometimes.

I think that Jon is just as crazy as his wife.

Absolutely. When she allowed comments he would wade in occasionally. He's every ounce as nutty as Abigail is.

Archived