We have aeros in Australia, Mint, chocolate and choc caramel, although they stopped making the strawberry one years ago. Maybe an Australian grocer could help? I know some larger cities in America have them

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have aeros in Australia, Mint, chocolate and choc caramel, although they stopped making the strawberry one years ago. Maybe an Australian grocer could help? I know some larger cities in America have them

Lilith, you're making me drool. We only have the mint version in Europe!

As for Abigail, fucking hell, she's worse than Emily (of Emily and Dna fame) and Kendal combined! It'll serve her right if her kids rebel by turning into materialistic, money-obsessed megalomaniacs - actually no, I wouldn't wish that on society. Is she the person who considers herself an emotional orphan because her parents didn't have more kids, or some such crap...?

Imagine an apple allergy. I always had difficulty digesting apples, but in my 20's I started to get hives from it. I now can eat very small amounts of well cooked apples, but still have bad digestion issues. (and I own multiple apple trees that came with the house)

Don't feel bad. I also have a little apple allergy. It's not bad, but I can't eat much. Try a banana allergy too. I cannot eat bananas. I can't stomach them and they mess with my throat. :( Apparently I am also allergic to string beans and cantaloupe. I've had some reaction to the string beans, but not the cantaloupe. I was told certain pollen allergies can cause allergies to some fruits and vegetables. I feel for you Wolfie and Spider Burps. Allergies and intolerances suck.

Enough of the Aero conversation. Penguins win and will always win hands down ;-)

When I was listening to coverage of the mall shooting in Oregon yesterday, the psychologist being interviewed had a great term he applied to these random shooters that I think also applies to Abigail: collector of slights. They hang on to every perceived slight against them no matter how small, and use it to reinforce their skewed view of reality.

Hu, "poverty"

When I was a guard I had zero hour contract. Sometimes no work.

Then you search a gutter for coins, hide from the landlord and I'm ashamed but five finger discount.

Fuck off abigail try that for a bit.

romanticisation of being broke sucks.

Wow, what a lovely attitude toward other people who are poor but aren't as lovely and pious as she is. She complains about people looking down on her, but at the same time, she's looking down on someone else. I think for Abigail, "poverty" is just another excuse for drama--like her post on how she was the most abused child EVAR because, daycare. It sounds as if she's about to use "poverty" as an excuse for not caring if her kids have combed hair and clean clothes. Poor kids--it's not enough for her just to raise them and love them. She has to find some reason why she's SPECIAL. Honestly, I think this is some kind of personality disorder, and it bugs me so much that her religion provides her with ego strokes for her super-piety, instead of gently explaining that this is not okay and she needs help.

Thank you for saying this. She romanticizes "poverty," but she shows exactly what she thinks of the poor right there.

And let me just say this - my mom took her children to daily mass for many years, even when many would consider the family "poor" and she never had a problem with behavior or hair brushing. My mom is certainly not perfect, but the words "stupid" or "feral" would never be used in our direction, and that's because she busted her ass for her kids.

Don't feel bad. I also have a little apple allergy. It's not bad, but I can't eat much. Try a banana allergy too. I cannot eat bananas. I can't stomach them and they mess with my throat. :( Apparently I am also allergic to string beans and cantaloupe. I've had some reaction to the string beans, but not the cantaloupe. I was told certain pollen allergies can cause allergies to some fruits and vegetables. I feel for you Wolfie and Spider Burps. Allergies and intolerances suck.

Shall we have a pity party? I'll bring the apple pie banana bread green bean casserole peanut butter fudge plain white rice.

Aeros are amazing. They do Aero Bubbles now, which are bags of little round spherical Aeros. Wow.

And Galaxy bars...nomnom.

OMG they have chocolate stars out for the make a wish foundation atm, these massive chocolate stars filled with aero chocolate. SO. GOOD.

Get thee behind me! I just got my BGL to under 300. :/ Notlisteningnotlisteningnotlistening!

I responded to Abigail, and tried to be gentle about it.

My childhood was similar to emmidahl's and I have to admit I loved it, not because of any romantic notions about not having money, it was just a good time. Abigail is really blessed and yet she seems to see everything through a filter of smiling through tears.

Enough of the Aero conversation. Penguins win and will always win hands down ;-)

When I was listening to coverage of the mall shooting in Oregon yesterday, the psychologist being interviewed had a great term he applied to these random shooters that I think also applies to Abigail: collector of slights. They hang on to every perceived slight against them no matter how small, and use it to reinforce their skewed view of reality.

I've heard another psychologist compare people like that to scarab beetles who carry their own dung with them until they die in place because they can't move any more. These people carry the perceived slights until it basically smothers them. Not all of them turn into shooters, but they can do a lot of damage to those around them. Abigail makes me want to scream at her. Figuratively of course.

I've heard another psychologist compare people like that to scarab beetles who carry their own dung with them until they die in place because they can't move any more. These people carry the perceived slights until it basically smothers them. Not all of them turn into shooters, but they can do a lot of damage to those around them. Abigail makes me want to scream at her. Figuratively of course.

^^^^^^^^^^eleventy!!!!!!!!!!!

Hence the reason we have no contact with my MiL. (And the secret reason I'm glad we live over 4 hours away. Let's just say that she's a proud supporter of the 2nd Ammendment and has fired shots at people.)

Imagine an apple allergy. I always had difficulty digesting apples, but in my 20's I started to get hives from it. I now can eat very small amounts of well cooked apples, but still have bad digestion issues. (and I own multiple apple trees that came with the house)

I ate some fresh pineapple recently and I had a weird reaction. My tongue went numb and tingly and afterwards it felt like I had burned it. I really hope it wasn't an allergic reaction, I love pineapple. :-(

Which grocery store do you have that carries mint Aero???? I had some in Vancouver in 2001, and still miss the darn things, but can't bring myself to pay Internet prices for them. If I'd only known, I would have brought some home with me (I got smart and brought Jaffa Cakes home from Ireland, but they got a bit dry after 6 months). My sister lived in Dearborn MI, and I could never get her to buy some for me while she was over the border - and now she lives in Florida, which is Aero-less. At least I can find Jaffa look-alikes here.

Meijer's and the Aero bars are only $1! They also have Kinder, sometimes Galaxy bars, Jaffa Cakes and these really good salt and cider vinegar chips/crisps. It's in their international aisle (they also have a "Southern" section in the international aisle which cracks me up). Most of the stores around here have Cadbury drinking chocolate (obsessed with this stuff!) and Bisto stuff and usually digestives. San Pellegrino is starting to catch on too. I don't know why... we are closer to the Bible Belt than Canada, but I am not complaining!!

I would check if you have any grocery stores in your area owned by immigrants or that cater to an immigrant population (my grandparents have a Polish grocery store that has dirt cheap Kinder - those boxes with 8 little bars). I have heard World Market is good too but there aren't any near me. Er... Amazon sells cartons of them too :oops:

I know someone else quoted me earlier too. I don't live close to Canada now :( , my parents are close enough that we went on vacations there a few times, though. I have been thinking of doing a day trip or road trip when I am back there for a longer period of time. Luckily my parents have a UK import store, which is expensive but amazing. They bake and cook traditional foods (they will even cater... I threatened to order haggis for a college graduation party and I think that is why I didn't have a party haha), sometimes have IrnBru (even though I think the legality of that in the US is also up in the air?), and are willing to special order for you so I think I will do that once the teas I brought back run out. We have a German import store too which *sometimes* has Kinder Eggs if you are lucky. Still sad they are illegal here :violin:

I have heard of caramel Aero... I am just going to pretend they don't exist though because I have no way to access them :whistle: I do know someone in Australia but the cost of shipping would probably be crazy right? Strawberry sounds great too, too bad they discontinued it.

Meijer's and the Aero bars are only $1! They also have Kinder, sometimes Galaxy bars, Jaffa Cakes and these really good salt and cider vinegar chips/crisps. It's in their international aisle (they also have a "Southern" section in the international aisle which cracks me up). Most of the stores around here have Cadbury drinking chocolate (obsessed with this stuff!) and Bisto stuff and usually digestives. San Pellegrino is starting to catch on too. I don't know why... we are closer to the Bible Belt than Canada, but I am not complaining!!

I would check if you have any grocery stores in your area owned by immigrants or that cater to an immigrant population (my grandparents have a Polish grocery store that has dirt cheap Kinder - those boxes with 8 little bars). I have heard World Market is good too but there aren't any near me. Er... Amazon sells cartons of them too :oops:

I know someone else quoted me earlier too. I don't live close to Canada now :( , my parents are close enough that we went on vacations there a few times, though. I have been thinking of doing a day trip or road trip when I am back there for a longer period of time. Luckily my parents have a UK import store, which is expensive but amazing. They bake and cook traditional foods (they will even cater... I threatened to order haggis for a college graduation party and I think that is why I didn't have a party haha), sometimes have IrnBru (even though I think the legality of that in the US is also up in the air?), and are willing to special order for you so I think I will do that once the teas I brought back run out. We have a German import store too which *sometimes* has Kinder Eggs if you are lucky. Still sad they are illegal here :violin:

I have heard of caramel Aero... I am just going to pretend they don't exist though because I have no way to access them :whistle: I do know someone in Australia but the cost of shipping would probably be crazy right? Strawberry sounds great too, too bad they discontinued it.

Haggis isn't that bad! They shouldn't knock it until they try it :mrgreen:

Irn Bru is still technically illegal, but you can occasionally find it at Irish/British import stores or at Celtic type festivals. One time DH bought a case and it cost $60 :shock: I nearly killed him over that.

Oh yes, I'm obsessed with Cadbury's drinking chocolate too. I have some in my cupboard right now, waiting for me as an after dinner treat.

Haggis isn't that bad! They shouldn't knock it until they try it :mrgreen:

Irn Bru is still technically illegal, but you can occasionally find it at Irish/British import stores or at Celtic type festivals. One time DH bought a case and it cost $60 :shock: I nearly killed him over that.

Oh yes, I'm obsessed with Cadbury's drinking chocolate too. I have some in my cupboard right now, waiting for me as an after dinner treat.

Why are Irn Bru and Kinder Eggs illegal, just out of curiosity?

Abigal responds to the question of whether or not she is poor. Also, she and her husband are looking into adopting a special needs child.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2012/12/am-i-poor.html

Abigal responds to the question of whether or not she is poor. Also, she and her husband are looking into adopting a special needs child.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2012/12/am-i-poor.html

Guess she decided it was too much of a crapshoot waiting to conceive a CF child herself :roll:

I seriously hope any agency reading that entry about how completely flat broke she is would never let her adopt any child, much less one with special needs who will likely require more money than a typical child.

I love how people in the comments are excitedly asking her about 'baby #6'. This is the woman who has called herself a Ukrainian orphan and casually mentioned puking from chemo when neither were remotely true. Baby #6 is probably (hopefully) also a figment of her imagination. I'm kind of terrified that they're trying to adopt a special needs child. She can BARELY manage the children she already has. This is the last thing she, her family, or that child needs. If you can't manage your money or go a day without having an emotional breakdown, you seriously do not need to be thinking about adoption. But this is another star that Abigail would love to be able to add to her Super Catholic crown.

Why are Irn Bru and Kinder Eggs illegal, just out of curiosity?

I'm not sure about Irn Bru. I think it has to do with the ingredients. Kinder Eggs are because of a choking hazard, I guess they assume the plastic part could pop open in their mouth or something.

And yes, Peas and Carrots, the Irn Bru was expensive! I think each can was $4-5. The store owner said they were going fast lol. I'm not really a huge fan but my sister loves it. My family came over to visit me and that was all she drank the whole trip. LOL

we lived in voluntary and temporary simplicity, not poverty. I joke about being raised poor and by American standards we were, but it is not the true poverty of hopelessness and endless need. Real poverty is not admirable, it is despicable. It destroys the human spirit.

This.

Being poor means no expensive swim teams; it means that when my oldest needs a new musical instrument, she busks until she has the money saved and then buys it outright. Herself.

This. At least you know it won't be forever, because you and your husband have a plan and are working to make it happen, and will do what you have to do to make sure needs get met.

From her unbelievable "am I poor" post:

My family's only savings account right now has $80 and we have one IRA worth $300. Everything my husband makes walks right out the door each month.

But you can afford the cello rental, and fencing lessons.

c) my nerves about acing exams in Law School (and college) made me very preformance driven. To let off stress I engaged in unhealthy and sinful behavior (i.e. have pre-marital sex or "fornication" as we Catholics describe that sin).

Oh no, a college student who got laid because they needed some stress relief!

It was a total act of trust that I quit working while having $103,600 dollars of student loan debt to become a stay-at-home Mother. I didn't make a "choice" like how I choose what to have for dinner. I just felt God tugging my heart firmly in one direction. God is so good, he even eased me into it. First I thought I was staying home for 6 months, then 'just a few years." When I finally really got that God was asking me to stay-home (and this is a very personal mission. My family has been out of the Catholic Church for 500 years--my maternal ancestor literally sign the pledge from Henry the VIII asking the Pope to annul his first marriage--God told me "I need your full focus because we've got to create a new Catholic Culture in one generation)--I was scared. I put up a little sign on my home-made alter "Jesus if you want me, I cost $103,600!

I call it stupidity.

And how come God always says what people want to hear? Plus, I love how she slips in her "better than all of you" history tidbit.

I'm a really poor mother. I did not have any skills to raise children before I became a Catholic. I've got a tendency for anxiety and depression. Thankfully, they are objectively "light" according to my therapist. But it's still there and I in a situation where there's a lot of pressure. I'm pregnant often. I've got next to no extended family support. My husband works long hours. Most of my kids are highly sensitive and gifted--which means that they are a joy, but an extra challenge to parent.

On the first bolded, I would say she still doesn't have any skills.

On the second, WHY KEEP HAVING MORE? I'm sorry, but I have just found myself in a place where I want to tell these women to STFU and quit whining.

". In regards to constant discipline, "I was a parent poor in spirit." I prayed about that. The answer was to "rent a cello." That seems so weird, but the cello is super, duper relaxing for me. I get my little cello lesson in during the day--it is no problem to have extra amounts of patience to discipline consistently and kindly my five feisty kids under age 10. With the cello, there is totally room in my heart to mother more babies in my life.

I have nothing.

The baby does not have baby socks (I've lost all but two pairs that I have to rewash all the time) and she only has one pair of hideously ugly silver shoes--but I have a fifth baby in my heart! I have a cello! I have a wonderful glowing Marriage that gets sweeter and more mushy every single year.

I, I, I. As usual.

I ate some fresh pineapple recently and I had a weird reaction. My tongue went numb and tingly and afterwards it felt like I had burned it. I really hope it wasn't an allergic reaction, I love pineapple. :-(

It is, but I have that problem and it never escalated like the apple allergy did, so I still eat pineapple and ignore the swelling. It happens to my siblings too.

I forgot to comment on the instrument thing. Do her kids go to regular school or does she homeschool them? We all rented instruments from the public schools because it was only $25 a year. They weren't always the most expensive brands or newest instruments but you couldn't beat the price.

I'm not sure about Irn Bru. I think it has to do with the ingredients. Kinder Eggs are because of a choking hazard, I guess they assume the plastic part could pop open in their mouth or something.

And yes, Peas and Carrots, the Irn Bru was expensive! I think each can was $4-5. The store owner said they were going fast lol. I'm not really a huge fan but my sister loves it. My family came over to visit me and that was all she drank the whole trip. LOL

IIRC, the reason that they're illegal is because somebody claimed that the kids wouldn't know the difference between the candy and the toy, and they'd eat the toy and choke on it.

Apple allergies: My sympathies. In the past six or so years, I've slowly been developing reactions to certain foods - it's apparently related to my wicked pollen allergies, a cross-sensitivity of some kind. If I eat raw apples, cherries, carrots, or a couple of other foods - basically all the less expensive, easy healthy snacks that I like - my mouth itches. And I rubbed my eye once after slicing an apple, and it was like spring pollen season all over again. I need to find an allergist and see if the allergy injections might help with that, although just the spring/summer allergies are enough to make me consider it anyway (despite the needle phobia). Darn, I miss Ranier cherries.

Apparently food allergies don't respond to allergy shots- what I've been told is to go ahead and eat very small amounts, but keep benedryl around just in case.

My airborne allergies have been helped by allergy shots, except dogs. ugh. I like dogs.

Archived