IGNORED

Maxwell parents naive or just simple?

YPestis

Guest Anonymous

I have a theory.

The Maxwell's are amazing at trolling.

Once upon a time they decided to see how many people they could trick into believing they do things the way we see them. This resulted in fame and money.

Meanwhile, things are really different. When they aren't doing the whole dog and pony show bit, they wear normal clothes, and do fun things. Sarah isn't married either because she hasn't found anyone, isn't interested, or is gay and obviously they can't show that.

So yeah... the Maxwell's are just really good at putting on a show lol

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a theory.

Once upon a time they decided to see how many people they could trick into believing they do things the way we see them. This resulted in fame and money.

Meanwhile, things are really different. When they aren't doing the whole dog and pony show bit, they wear normal clothes, and do fun things. Sarah isn't married either because she hasn't found anyone, isn't interested, or is gay and obviously they can't show that.

Show business! Exactly!

I was the only girl in our house growing up so I got my own room, ha! Even Steve Megalomaniac wouldn't expect me to bunk with a shitload of boys.

As for friendships, my siblings and I are closer in general as adults, although as kids we got on with each other as well as any children living together. I did notice that our respective age differences had more than a little to do with it. The two older brothers were closest in age, being born in 1980 and 1981, then I came along in 1986, and finally my youngest bro in 1989. So as children, J and E had each other; and so did me and M, which worked out nicely.

J married his high school girlfriend and they settled down in our hometown, they now have two children of their own. The only reason I don't really ring them directly etc is because they're always round Mum's house anyway! E emigrated to America (Denver) in 2006 and married a Californian girl he met there. They moved to Pittsburgh last year and we're always sending each other pithy emails regarding various politics/newsbites on our respective sides of the Atlantic. I left our hometown for the big city as soon as I was legally entitled to do so (age 16 in the UK) and haven't been back since. Mum was OK with this, as she had raised us to be independent and stand on our own two feet, although she did remark that I was probably the only teenage girl on our estate who hadn't secured accommodation by getting pregnant! :lol: M still lives in the maternal home, and he likes it, although I know he'd like to move in with his longtime girlfriend eventually. (Their financial situation is currently making it hard). I guess I'm closest to him if I had to pick, he's a lovely guy, although I wish he'd stand up for himself more.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to give you my life story! Thanks to anyone who's made it this far.

Anyone have any guesses on what the Maxwell "girls" could be talking about all day? As a chatterbox I understand the desire to be around others all day and talk my head off. But, I can't figure out how they can fill all that time with chatter when they have limited access to the outside world, and no hobbies/activities/interests of their own.

Here are my guesses as to what the "girls" could talk about, in no particular order:

1. Snarking on immodestly dressed women at Costco, and at Maxwell conferences (there seems to be an abundance of immodesty at those conferences... ironic).

2. Recipes, very boring recipes

3. Skirt Patterns, shapeless ones

4. Beige Fabric

5. Cute things the nieces and nephew did (which is actually normal)

6. Any others?

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the Maxwell women's hair. Don't get the criticism of something so.... not an issue.

Back to the OP: I think both Teri and Steve are controlling fucks, in their own ways. Steve abused and brainwashed Teri when she was at her most vulnerable, after years of back pain and depression. And Teri replaced control over her own life with obsessive minute-by-minute scheduling of her children, right from babyhood.

While reports from the blog only ever show sweetly smiling sisters, I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah is also exercising her own control over her younger siblings. All that disappointment and bad feeling has to be chaneled somewhere...

To me, their hair is a symptom of the control in their lives. They need a different hair care regime and products from their mom, but that isn't ok in the Maxwell prison. They dress the same, wear their hair the same, use the same shampoo (probably no conditioner, that would be an idol), there is no chance to find out what works for their bodies. Hell, they probably all use the same maxi pads, no matter what they need.

Anyone have any guesses on what the Maxwell "girls" could be talking about all day? As a chatterbox I understand the desire to be around others all day and talk my head off. But, I can't figure out how they can fill all that time with chatter when they have limited access to the outside world, and no hobbies/activities/interests of their own.

Here are my guesses as to what the "girls" could talk about, in no particular order:

1. Snarking on immodestly dressed women at Costco, and at Maxwell conferences (there seems to be an abundance of immodesty at those conferences... ironic).

2. Recipes, very boring recipes

3. Skirt Patterns, shapeless ones

4. Beige Fabric

5. Cute things the nieces and nephew did (which is actually normal)

6. Any others?

Yes number 5 is normal, my parents, my siblings, and I often talk of the cute things my niece does, and how much we are looking forward to newbies arrival in February, the difference is: I don't live with my parents. I live in a different town from them. I have a job (that we also discuss, just as we discuss their jobs). It is normal to talk about but why talk about it when you see the same things. We talk about the cute things my niece does because we don't always see the same things because my parents watch my niece if my sister and brother-in-law are working at the weekend or are busy with things that wouldn't suit my niece. Or I watch her. But not always together.

Guest Anonymous

Elderly. Not some elderly people. Not some elderly folks. Just some elderly. They're objects to be condescended to, not human beings with personalities. Just some elderly. :angry-teeth:

Sorry for the tangent.

I've always hated the way the Maxwells refer to old people. They're individuals, not a generic "elderly" herd, and their residences are NOT petting zoos.

And why is it "sweet" that "the elderly" are there? I hate that being old and leaving the house to go to a concert is "sweet". What's "sweet" about it?!

No, what would be "sweet" is for the little Maxwell nieces/nephews to go up to "the elderly" and give them a hug.

Lots of horrible people get old, assuming that they are sweet due to their age status is silly beyond belief.

My sense is that Steve is especially approving of "the elderly", preferably the least functioning ones, because they are unable to talk back , question or challenge his preaching. By the way, how does he demonstrate his love and respect for his own mother? In the past two years I remember her being mentioned only once when Chris and NR Anna made a visit.

My sense is that Steve is especially approving of "the elderly", preferably the least functioning ones, because they are unable to talk back , question or challenge his preaching. By the way, how does he demonstrate his love and respect for his own mother? In the past two years I remember her being mentioned only once when Chris and NR Anna made a visit.

That's an excellent question. Why doesn't he visit his mother? Or if he does, why doesn't he mention it? That would be a good topic for a Dad's Corner -- sort of a spin on when the child becomes the parent. He's probably riddled with guilt about not having any relationship with his mother. Granted, my mother has Alzheimer's, too, and it is nearly impossible to have any kind of relationship when the disease is present, but Stevie should talk about it more. Find a way to minister to THAT element of the "elderly" since presumeably he's got direct experience.

That's why his 'church' is at a nursing home. A captive audience. Many just wheeled in without actually choosing to be there.

I have a theory.

If the Maxwell blog and dog and pony show is all just a piece of performance art, it's the best piece of performance art EVER. I mean, if these people wind up being a bunch of freaky hipsters from New York City, they are GENIUSES. My mind would be blown.

As for the "Flowers in the Attic" reference, I had the EXACT same thought. I read a series of articles and studies a few years ago about sexual dysfunction in tightly controlled and repressed religious groups. One article talked about the extremely high incidence of homosexual male sexual contact among otherwise heterosexual men in Saudi Arabia. The experts interviewed in the article talks about how this is not uncommon when you have individuals -- particularly men ages 18-35 -- who live in an incredibly repressed environment and have no meaningful interactions among women outside of their own families.

Similarly, I've heard about high rates of incest among families that tightly control and restrict access to the outside world. It's just a breeding ground for dysfunction.

I agree with several other posters. In this family it's ALL about parental control. Teri in Mom's corner says, There are times when they have different opinions that spark lively discussions. How can you have a lively discussion in a family culture that forbids absolutely any opinion about anything that differs from Steve's opinion?

Oh, easy:

a) Should we read Psalms or Proverbs today during our 5am Bible time?

b) Should we start the Elderly's church service with "Daddy On His Knees" or "Trust and Obey"?

c) Should the wreath for Joe's house be white on top and red on bottom, or red on top and white on bottom?

d) When we help Mel clean her house, would it be better to start with the laundry or to polish her cabinets again?

e) On our daily walk, would we rather turn right or left at the intersection?

f) In the eleven-thousandth blog picture of John and Anna posed like a married couple instead of siblings, should he put his left arm around her shoulders or his right?

g) When we make the poppyseed bread for our caroling gifts, would it be better to mix the seeds in with a spoon or a spatula?

So, you see, I'm sure the Maxwell daughters have many exciting and spirited disagreements all the livelong day.

Guest Anonymous

The boys had to eat dry crackers for lunch the time that they had a lively discussion about whether cats were better than dogs. So, I'm thinking nothing gets too hotly debated these days.

Oh, easy:

b) Should we start the Elderly's church service with "Daddy On His Knees" or "Trust and Obey"?

c) Should the wreath for Joe's house be white on top and red on bottom, or red on top and white on bottom?

d) When we help Mel clean her house, would it be better to start with the laundry or to polish her cabinets again?

f) In the eleven-thousandth blog picture of John and Anna posed like a married couple instead of siblings, should he put his left arm around her shoulders or his right?

g) When we make the poppyseed bread for our caroling gifts, would it be better to mix the seeds in with a spoon or a spatula?

So, you see, I'm sure the Maxwell daughters have many exciting and spirited disagreements all the livelong day.

h) Brown, beige, blue, brown and beige, brown and blue, beige and blue, just beige, just blue, or just brown? SO many discussions to have!

Oh, easy:

:lol: It is funny...but also sadly probably true.

The boys had to eat dry crackers for lunch the time that they had a lively discussion about whether cats were better than dogs. So, I'm thinking nothing gets too hotly debated these days.

LINK PLEASE!!!!

I tend to agree that both parents may have mental health issues. Gah what a boring life they lead. Sarah is 1 year older than me & when I think about her life....sure I have messed up, had my heart broken, done stupid things but have also done great things, made good choices, gone to uni, travelled the world, lived overseas, falled in love 3 times (damn I have given away pieces of my heart yet love my future husband with the same intensity but a deeper passion than the first one. Wrong again fundies)

Makes me sad for the kids.

The Maxwells just went up another rung on the jerk-o-meter. Those kids were probably one step from angelic, and on a car trip no less.... And then were punished for showing the slightest bit of spirit. And I don't care about the reason, you don't leave your kids locked in a car.

How to kill a child's spirit and soul and turn them into a personality free automaton with no will and no life... brought to you by the Maxwells.

This is marketing. The Maxwells are a business. So are the Duggars. It's no different from the 2am infomercial selling a paintbrush gadget that you realize you just have to have. Titus2 is a scam, and a dangerous one at that. When the infomercial paintbrush breaks, and it will because most everything from infomercials break, you only lost $19.95. Maxwell and Duggar marketing leaves emotional scars that will stay with people for a long time. They don't want to help people. If they did, they'd be spreading the word for free. They're neither naive nor simple. That's marketing. It's how they feed themselves and pay their bills. This is how they make their money to survive. Of course they are going to paint a pretty picture. If they didn't, they wouldn't have any money.

"Making right the wrong" should have involved ripping Steve a new one for being such an abusive fuck and then driving off in the sunset with Uriah.

:greetings-clappingyellow::handgestures-salute::greetings-clappingyellow:

Look at one of the comments. See what their marketing does? Can't live without the infomercial paintbrush.

"I really needed to read this today after trying to get 3 children 6 and under ready for church and being 8 months pregnant with #4 (while my husband was at church leadership meetings). Sometimes I feel like my children will never stop fighting and tattling on one another, but reading this gave me a glimmer of what their relationships could be like in the future if we raise them the way the Lord has put on our hearts to do."

Archived