CNN was tipped off that hundreds of FLDS kids were taken out of school and shipped over to Hurricane, Utah (23 miles away from the twin cities of Hildale, UT and Colorado City, AZ) and sent reporter Gary Tuchman out to investigate.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/07/w ... =allsearch << video here

Not only is it child labor and the kids being taken out of school, but they're not getting paid AND the work is being done for an non-FLDS property owner in Las Vegas, NV.

Where are the authorities on this? Why do they let this happen?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe since they were caught on film it will force some action. But like you ask, why did it come to this?

When 20/20 did that special a few weeks ago about the FLDS family that had to sneak away because their father was declared a "son of Perdition", the son in the family went into a lot of detail on air about how the FLDS makes money in contract work by underbidding other contractors. The reason they can underbid is they use free child labor. There was no follow up on whether the Utah attorney general had any investigations going about that. We are talking boys as young as seven laying concrete!

Maybe since they were caught on film it will force some action. But like you ask, why did it come to this?

It comes to this because they are women and children with no voice. Shame on Utah's law enforcement and child protection arms for leaving these innocents in the hell Jeffs created.

Re: underbidding construction:

My uncle did a lot of contracting work in northern AZ and frequently complained about how his firm routinely was underbid by FLDS firms. It got to the point where he finally moved on to something else, because they basically had a monopoly.

I don't know why the authorities have never been able to do anything about it. The FLDS uses up these boys by making them do back-breaking labor, and then tosses them out on their asses as soon as they are old enough to start eyeballing the young wimminz. Absolutely inhuman.

Edited for spelling fail.

The FLDS has been going crazy lately. They still follow Warren, who continues to excommunicate almost everybody. He has outlawed toys for children, pets, and sex between married couples except for 15 chosen men. He has outlawed certain COLORS. He is insane and they keep following him.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55401 ... s.html.csp

An interesting story about women leaving the FLDS

But conditions grew worse. Lyle Jeffs, they said, began to issue directives from the pulpit. Unmarried women had to give up their cellphones, then any jobs where they dealt with the public. Those who were married couldn’t have sex. Children had to give away or sell their bicycles, trampolines and other toys. Women couldn’t be treated by male doctors or wear ribbons or flowered bobby pins. In fact, nothing with flowers on it.

Members had to wake up at 5 a.m. No naps. Women had to use reusable feminine hygiene products. Camping was forbidden. Members could clean house with only homemade soap and a bucket for rinse water. Only the right hand could touch that water.

Church security began watching her, she said, after she talked to her apostate mother during a visit to her workplace. And worshipping at the massive meetinghouse every Sunday, hearing the directives streaming from the pulpit, became almost physically painful.

"It started to feel like bullets in your chest," Helen said.

The quieter, more contemplative of the twins, she suffered under the new rules. A capable, high-tech seamstress and manager at work, Helen would come home and lie in her bed, staring at the ceiling. After the women were pushed out of their jobs, all three girls were relegated to making soap.

Thinking of her parents as apostates ate at Helen, but she yearned to be good, righteous and obedient to the faith. When she sought advice from church elders, they’d tell her to tune out conflicting emotions.

"I think that’s why I can’t cry anymore," Helen said. "So many times I wished I could just go to my grave."

—

Leaving the fold » The three friends were eager to marry and start their own lives. But no members of the FLDS have been allowed to marry since Warren Jeffs’ arrest in 2006.

Eventually, more cracks started to show in all three girls’ resolve to stay true to the FLDS church. Instead of following the rules that required all members of the new United Order to go to the bishop’s storehouse for everything they needed, they drove to Walmart to buy shoes and disposable feminine hygiene products.

In September, they hatched a plan for the twins to see their mother for her birthday: Allie dropped them off, but stayed in the car and kept driving around town so everyone would think the friends still were with her.

Another time, all three girls snuck in the back door while mother Helen was playing piano.

"I said, ‘Give your mother a hug,’ " Allie said.

"And I said, ‘Can I do that?’ " Heidi said. She could and she did — even though her mother was an apostate.

Heidi reached her breaking point about a month ago after a marathon church meeting in which Warren Jeffs’ "revelations from God" were recited for about seven hours.

One edict in particular broke her resolve: the command not to "have sympathy for apostates," she said.

CNN was tipped off that hundreds of FLDS kids were taken out of school and shipped over to Hurricane, Utah (23 miles away from the twin cities of Hildale, UT and Colorado City, AZ) and sent reporter Gary Tuchman out to investigate.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/07/w ... =allsearch << video here

Not only is it child labor and the kids being taken out of school, but they're not getting paid AND the work is being done for an non-FLDS property owner in Las Vegas, NV.

Where are the authorities on this? Why do they let this happen?

After the raid on Short Creek in the 50s made them look sooooo evil, the police and lawmakers pretty much left the FLDS to their own devices (which is why it took so long to charge Warren Jeffs with anything).

Besides, who would report the crime? It won't be the underage boys working construction - they have no idea there are laws against child labor. It won't be the parents of the boys, calling the cops would bring punishment upon them (plus the cops in Colorado City and Hilldale were part of the FLDS). It won't be the owner of the building being constructed, police involvement would delay building completion and legitimate labor would cost more money.

All parties involved either had something to gain (FLDS bosses, building owner) or didn't know they had rights (the boys working construction), so no one told the police.

It's similar to illegal immigrants working construction in the US - the builders save money and illegals don't want risk deportation, so no one complains and the police don't get involved.

They closed the medical clinic in Colorado City and also the pharmacy about two weeks ago. If they try to mail order, the elders take their prescriptions and will not give them to the person that needs it. If you have a medcial condition that means you have not prayed hard enough and you need to report to the meeting house every morning and pray for 8-10 hours per day.

Other new development they are now recording the mileage on all vehicles in the community on a daily bases so they know how many miles people are driving. Also they have gas rationing if you need more than you are allowed you have to go talk to elders and explain why.

I am waiting for something really bad happening, Jonestown type

It comes to this because they are women and children with no voice. Shame on Utah's law enforcement and child protection arms for leaving these innocents in the hell Jeffs created.

It's not just Utah. FLDS Polygamists live in both Utah AND Arizona. I also happen to live in Arizona. I also remember how the state legislature voted down a proposal during the last legislative session to step up county law enforcement oversight to that portion of Mohave County, Arizona. The state attorney general found money elsewhere to give to the county to step up its patrols in Colorado City.

So yeah, I'm trying to figure out what I can do to get my state to step up and protect these kids. Anyone got ideas?

It's not just Utah. FLDS Polygamists live in both Utah AND Arizona. I also happen to live in Arizona. I also remember how the state legislature voted down a proposal during the last legislative session to step up county law enforcement oversight to that portion of Mohave County, Arizona. The state attorney general found money elsewhere to give to the county to step up its patrols in Colorado City.

So yeah, I'm trying to figure out what I can do to get my state to step up and protect these kids. Anyone got ideas?

I am not trying to Debbie Downer, they is nothing. The state legislature & attorney general is going to continue to turn a blind eye to all the crazy stuff that is going on up here. I hate to say this about Arizona Legislature, if it has nothing to do with Gun, GOD, Gays, illegals (can't think of a G word for that) they don't care. Sad but true.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55401520-78/helen-allie-jeffs-flds.html.csp

An interesting story about women leaving the FLDS

This is probably the longest story I've ever seen in the Salt Lake Tribune, and it is definitely worth a close read. Things are seriously fucked up in the twin towns. (They have been for a long time, but they're a lot worse now.)

Women couldn’t be treated by male doctors or wear ribbons or flowered bobby pins. In fact, nothing with flowers on it.

I will never, ever understand this. Women can't see male doctors. But FLDS women will never be allowed to become doctors and are most likely not allowed to see doctors outside the community. Therefore, FLDS women are probably denied all medical care whatsoever. It makes me sad to know that these women are so brainwashed, they can't see that this is the ultimate message that the FLDS does not care about women and never will.

They had one female flds nurse practitioner in their maternity clinic. They excommunicated her and shut the clinic down.

They had one female flds nurse practitioner in their maternity clinic. They excommunicated her and shut the clinic down.

They shut down the clinic but did not excommunicate her as long as she follows the new medical laws that they have come out with. As of today she is still in the community and trying the figure out how to help her patients, we consult with her often on her more difficult cases.

They shut down the clinic but did not excommunicate her as long as she follows the new medical laws that they have come out with. As of today she is still in the community and trying the figure out how to help her patients, we consult with her often on her more difficult cases.

Well, that's good, but sometimes you need doctors and hospitals for the difficult cases. Do you know if they're prepared to transfer a pregnant woman needing assistance to Kingman or St. George? Something tells me that Warren Jeffs has such a grip on the town that they can't get around him, even if he is 1000 miles away. :(

Well, that's good, but sometimes you need doctors and hospitals for the difficult cases. Do you know if they're prepared to transfer a pregnant woman needing assistance to Kingman or St. George? Something tells me that Warren Jeffs has such a grip on the town that they can't get around him, even if he is 1000 miles away. :(

Since there are very few pregnant women at the present time, ban on sex except with the chosen 15 old men. There are six trained midwives in the community who are monitoring them. Two of the high risk patients have already been moved, to undisclosed bunker. The real concern are the other people in the community that have serious medical issues and without medication they could die, it is being withheld right now. Since they will not let the Air evac land any longer plus they fired the EMTs there is no way people can get to medical care without breaking the new rules. We will have to see after this weekend what will happen, Elder meeting and according to people in the know there are 3 10 page letters from Jeffs outlining his new views.

Since there are very few pregnant women at the present time, ban on sex except with the chosen 15 old men. There are six trained midwives in the community who are monitoring them. Two of the high risk patients have already been moved, to undisclosed bunker. The real concern are the other people in the community that have serious medical issues and without medication they could die, it is being withheld right now. Since they will not let the Air evac land any longer plus they fired the EMTs there is no way people can get to medical care without breaking the new rules. We will have to see after this weekend what will happen, Elder meeting and according to people in the know there are 3 10 page letters from Jeffs outlining his new views.

I just want to say I'm glad there's someone sane up that way keeping an eye on things.

I wonder how long these guys can keep up the crazy before more young women decide to just up and leave? After all, they can't marry and have kids because the guy who does the matching is in prison, so they're being denied everything they were brought up to expect. And yeah, I believe they expect the "gathering up" to happen Any Day Now, but I seem to recall it was supposed to happen years ago before Warren's father died, and obviously didn't since we're all still here.

When 20/20 did that special a few weeks ago about the FLDS family that had to sneak away because their father was declared a "son of Perdition", the son in the family went into a lot of detail on air about how the FLDS makes money in contract work by underbidding other contractors. The reason they can underbid is they use free child labor. There was no follow up on whether the Utah attorney general had any investigations going about that. We are talking boys as young as seven laying concrete!

When he escaped at age 17, he could not read because was sent out to work instead of school.

The father (Lorin Holm) of two of the young women mentioned in the news story above has won custody of his eight minor children from his two wives. One of his attorneys argued the mothers couldn't protect the daughters from underage marriage and the sons from expulsion. Now we'll see if the mothers drop the kids off by 6 pm today as expected, or if they decide to abscond with them.

The child labor is an everyday thing. It is not just FLDS in the area but now mexican contractors are using their sons that are way under 18, 10-12 is the starting age. The economy in southern Utah stinks compared to a few years ago and lowest bidder wins. What bothers me is big celebrities have homes here and they have polygamous crews or underage non-polygamous crews and workers and they have the money to pay more.

My washer was giving me problems and I had a extended wartanty through Lowes and they sent out a polygamous group to fix it. At first just the husband/father came in. He brought his 2 younger sons in. They were not 18 for sure and it was a monday morning. I called Lowes and said I was not comfortable with who they sent out, and explained the ages of the kids. It took some pushing but they told him to leave and sent another repair service out the next day.

The problem needs to be solved via big stores and city/state jobs checking into more then the lowest bidder. The honest contractor can't compete with free labor. I find it just as sad seeing young mexican children learning concrete at age 10 as I do flds boys framing homes at 10. St george has several dual immersion 100% spainish speaking schools so there is no excuse that the 10-14 year old mexican children are not in the school. It offers a 14 hour day program at no charge so parents can work.

My washer was giving me problems and I had a extended wartanty through Lowes and they sent out a polygamous group to fix it. At first just the husband/father came in. He brought his 2 younger sons in. They were not 18 for sure and it was a monday morning. I called Lowes and said I was not comfortable with who they sent out, and explained the ages of the kids. It took some pushing but they told him to leave and sent another repair service out the next day.

WOW that is messed up. I have no idea what I'd do if that happened.

the feds took away policing powers from some of these communities (Colorado City, Hilldale) because the police were protecting FLDS (returning underaged wives to their husbands, harassing non FLDS land owners), too bad they haven't been able to do much about this.

Just thought I'd note here that Lorin Holm was able to pick up his eight children by two of his wives without incident last night. A judge awarded custody to Holm on Friday in part because the mothers could not demonstrate they could protect the girls from being taken off without notice** or that the boys couldn't be ejected from the FLDS community, again without notice. One of my friends is the guardian ad litem for the kids and was there for the custody handoff last night.

**It's not marriage anymore, since apparently no marriages have been solemnized since 2006. But girls have been disappearing, being moved around.

The most baffling thing about the unflinching loyalty of the FLDS members in Hildale/Colorado City is that they were pretty much rejected by Jeffs when he moved his chosen to Texas. He abandoned these people and they will do anything to win back his favour.

The child labour thing is nothing new. Lots of adults in these communities work on credit, or at least without getting a real wage. It happens everywhere there is an FLDS presence. There may be some legal loophole that they are getting through, perhaps claiming that their work is credited in the United Effort Plan. I don't know.

Archived