IGNORED

Fundie Preppers riding on the Bugout Bus

lilah

Not sure if this is a fundie family (they wear jeans) but's it a large family are super into prepping for the The End of the World As We Know it. Their super awesome plan is that when bad things happen they will hop on a bus and drive off into the sunset. They are super snobby about the folks in NJ/NY who didn't prepare for disaster as well as they did. (except that if they got hit by a storm and gas lines were ridiculous as they were in NJ/NY then a bus that gets 10 miles a gallon is a really awful contingency plan)

Here's a tour of their bus .bugoutbus.blogspot.com/2012/04/preparing-designing-ark.html

snobbery towards NJ/NY residents

bugoutbus.blogspot.com/2012/11/hurricane-sandy.html

Nice bus, actually, but not sure how practical that would be in a real "bug out" situation. They mention a lot of the interior being made out of "bombproof... plywood"

Nice bus, actually, but not sure how practical that would be in a real "bug out" situation. They mention a lot of the interior being made out of "bombproof... plywood"

That was kind of cute actually and soooo fucking pretentious.

Behind the rear wheels is a large propane tank, the diesel fueling point and an 50 gal accessory tank for gasoline for the generator with an electric fuel pump which can be used to fill other things such as chain saws and motorcycle's

At this point I'm like ok they have a wood burning stove and like motorbikes.

Next to that there is a large closet for hanging your clothes which will accept full length dresses keeping them clean and wrinkle free.

Yup. I absolutely want my full length dress to be wrinkle free during the apocalypse.

This is the second exit in the bus. Which is great to have in an emergency? Also it gives you a peek at the large storage bay underneath the bed. another thing I like about this door being right by my bed is I have fast access to combat the "enemies" whatever they may be, outside in the middle of the night.

Ok. Moving swiftly along.

And like everything else on the bus they have been made bomb proof out of solid hickory and Baltic birch plywood.

I'd have gone with Kevlar, but to each their own.

The Pantry. If you’re going to live in a bus in a bug out situation or boon docking for long periods of time, you are going to need to store and have access to allot of food. This pantry will help in that area and it will make accessing the food easy. As you can see there is plenty of room in there and it’s built strong so go ahead and load it up. In the future there is going to be a spice rack on the inside of the door, which will hold a large amount of spices. After some quick math it looks like you can hold 162 cans of food on the middle shelf alone!

Spices are good. I think.

It’s also "green". Environmentally that is, (or in color if you want). We save the bus from landfills, we also can use recycled parts from RVs that are no longer on the road for materials that would plug up landfills. (This is what we did with our own personal bus). You can save yourself while saving the planet! It’s green that it can be lived in remote wildernesses without being a permanent structure, polluting the land. For those who wish you could easily live in it full time traveling the world year round consuming only sunlight, wind dead wood, and used cooking oil. I mean how much better could it get? It would cost you almost nothing to live!

Pal, it get's 12 miles to the gallon.

But this is my absolute favourite, there is a wee picture with this legend attached.

Bus trip to Disney 2010

I can't imagine that thing getting far on a highway clogged with zombies. Speaking of which, considering the backdoor strategy, he's setting up the kids as bait so he can hightail it.

I do like the freezer/refrigerator idea, I've seen it before. We are planning long range to self sufficient energy wise and this makes a lot more sense than a propane fridge.

Yeah, that's a pretty cool bus. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that these people sound rather nasty and frankly kind of nuts. Quick access so she can combat the enemies in the night...? Is she expecting the zombie apocalypse? Sounds paranoid.

Be a victim of zombies. Not fashion.

According to my Zombie Apocalypse Handbook (yeah, big nerd, I own one, it's hilarious) in the case of the undead walking the earth you're supposed to shave your head and wear skin-tight clothing so that the zombies have nothing to grab onto and drag you away with.... Long skirts = Zombie Apocalypse Fail.

Aren't zombies supposed to be attracted to BRAINZZZ?

The less you have of these, I guess, the easier to avoid said zombies. Problem solved.

According to my Zombie Apocalypse Handbook (yeah, big nerd, I own one, it's hilarious) in the case of the undead walking the earth you're supposed to shave your head and wear skin-tight clothing so that the zombies have nothing to grab onto and drag you away with.... Long skirts = Zombie Apocalypse Fail.

That's common sense! I don't have the handbook, but that's what I thought about long dresses: zombies will grab onto it as you run away! Heavy pants (jeans, canvas, etc) that will last would make it easier.

so, in the event of the zombie apocalypse, the Maxwell women will go first!

Also bicycles are better transportation.

Duly noted :lol:

I really want a Zombie Apocalypse Handbook.

After the apocalypse, there'll be lots of used cooking oil to power the bus.

I don't think these folks have thought their plans through very well.

I think the whole matter is validating spending the money. What they want is a fancy bus for family vacations, but they can justify the cost by saying they are getting it for preparedness reasons.

I think the whole matter is validating spending the money. What they want is a fancy bus for family vacations, but they can justify the cost by saying they are getting it for preparedness reasons.

ALECTO don't suck the fun out of it!!!! :shock:

But yes you are most likely correct. But it is far more enjoyable to imagine Zombies jumping in their back window rather than Minnie mouse.

The bus looks really cool and the kids probably love it. But it won't survive a bomb. And if the world ends, well, I don't think keeping clothes wrinkle free will be a top priority.

The bus looks really cool and the kids probably love it. But it won't survive a bomb. And if the world ends, well, I don't think keeping clothes wrinkle free will be a top priority.

We don't have that kind of School bus thing here just normal bus or coach. It is very, very cool. The whole RV thing is not huge here either. Small country shit weather. Caravans though. How the Brits love their Caravans.

I would love an RV. Not for the Apocalypse just you know for the mundane things. Holiday.

I have seen converted Ambulances. The VW is still a biggie here.

Refurbing a bus like this would actually be a fun DIY project if you have the skills, money, and time. I wouldn't mind having one for vacations/road trips, but in no way would I expect it to stand up to anything catastrophic. Alecto is probably right in that they had to pull an excuse out of their asses to justify spending the money on this little "project" when really they just wanted to do it for fun. I don't see why they felt they needed an excuse though, since this is a pretty cool RV substitute. Hell, they could have spun it as a learning project for their kids and it would have been more acceptable, believable, and less foolish than calling it a bug out bus.

Archived