IGNORED

Business ideas ladies?

razingruth

I'm flat-flat broke. We're talking "soda that's been open 9 days, flat" broke. Last week, a local woman came up to me and asked me to speak at her craft night. The church was to give me $300 up front and $300 after. Being as it is Christmas, I decided I could really use the money.

So, I prepped. Found out about the beliefs of the church I was attending and prepared a slideshow showing what it was like to grow up Quiverfull. My end message being: follow the Lord! But, follow him with the sense, ocmpassion, and reason he gave you.

The talk went well. They had suggested the prices so I didn't know what was happening when one of the members asked for my "up front" $300 back. Turns out, they didn't pack them in like they'd anticipated and my money was now needed to take care of reimbursing the caterer and crafter. So, I got screwed. :/ She said I might get the last three hundred...someday. WTF?! I was supposed yto get it now. I had so wanetd to go to Disneyland with my Ellie. :/ How can I do this again without getting ripped off?

Maybe talk to a literary agent, see about parlaying this into a book deal? You could do it, you know. You write well enough.

The agent I was dealing with doesn't do this sort of personal appearane stuff until the book hits a level of sales that I will never reach. I did this becaue I am out of the trailer and back in the car/tent. I thought if I could make that 600, then I could get a more permanent place and go spend Christmas with Ellie.

The agent I was dealing with doesn't do this sort of personal appearane stuff until the book hits a level of sales that I will never reach. I did this becaue I am out of the trailer and back in the car/tent. I thought if I could make that 600, then I could get a more permanent place and go spend Christmas with Ellie.

I would not have returned the $300 up front. You fulfilled your part of the bargain. Of course that doesn't help you now. I would definitely have a written contract the next time, which would include that your fee will not be returned.

Guest Anonymous
I would not have returned the $300 up front. You fulfilled your part of the bargain. Of course that doesn't help you now. I would definitely have a written contract the next time, which would include that your fee will not be returned.

Ruth, is there any chance of your taking these lowlives to small claims court?

And contact your local media if you do file. That's appalling behaviour from anyone, let alone a church. You did your job, promoting the event was not part of it so you are in no way responsible for poor attendance.

This.

I can't believe the church had the cheek to ask for the money back.

wow, the fact that they even asked for that money back is mind boggling!

As far as business ideas...do you have any crafty/sewing skills? You can set up an Etsy shop and sell things there. Lots of competition, but you have a good following and that would help.

...and I second the contract thing. Your up front fee is non returnable....the after fee could be negotiable should something like low attendance occur.

This:

And this:

And finally, this:

And contact your local media if you do file. That's appalling behaviour from anyone, let alone a church. You did your job, promoting the event was not part of it so you are in no way responsible for poor attendance.

I second the Etsy shop idea! Maybe you could babysit? Or do housekeeping or cooking for people? I did this kind of thing when I was in college and needed to earn quick and easy cash.

What happened to you is horrible Ruth. I would definitely try to get the money back somehow.

Are you "ok" with being public now? You could do an online question and answer via skype(or some other video meeting site) and charge $5 a person to participate. Since you already have the slide show assembled, it wouldn't be that much work.

Could we possibly shame the church into giving Ruth her money back? And yes, up front fees are nonrefundable. Unless you agreed to help foot the operations costs, you are NOT on the hook for that.

Back when I was a social worker, some of my clients were getting "bills" from a church they never attended or maybe visited once. The church wanted to build a Christian Life Center and buy some vans. I threatened them with a very public shaming (they are located in a suburb of Nashville, lots of media!) No money was returned, but the invoices stopped coming.

That is horrible that they did that to you!! So sorry, I have no words, do u like animals? You can try dog walking or maybe house sitting, see if someone in the area is going away and they r willing to have someone come and housesit.

I mean, why is it more important to pay the caterer and the crafter but not pay you? I think that is so invalidating. What a shame you happened to have that $300 with you that night.

I mean, why is it more important to pay the caterer and the crafter but not pay you? I think that is so invalidating. What a shame you happened to have that $300 with you that night.

Because the caterer is the sort to make a big fuss, while a young woman doing them a favor would probably be embarrassed and go on her way to avoid a confrontation? I second/third/fourth what everyone else said: raise a big fuss. Send a certified mail demand letter. If they ignore the first, send a follow up certified letter with threat of legal action. That may just be enough to make them pay up.

If you don't want to burn bridges with this group, though, you may just be out of luck... Next time you do something like this, have a written contract that states when you will get paid, and under what circumstances (if any) that may be modified. Note any changes in writing on a signed and dated addendum. Give copies to all parties involved, and always send an email after you discuss changes over the phone or in person ("I wanted to send this message to rehash our conversation to make sure we're on the same page. Just to confirm, we decided to X, Y, and Z. Can't wait to work with you! Regards, Ruth").

Good luck!

edited to remove generalization

I can't believe they had the nerve to ask for the few back! Holy cow. YOU aren't responsible for how they "pack" people or how much the caterer or crafter charge ~ you are only responsible for doing the work you for which you were hired and you did that.

Was it the main pastor or head person of the church, or just the leader of the crafting group that you spoke with and returned the $$ to? Could you try to address this issue with someone else or the entire congregation during a large Sunday service in front of everyone that attends the church? My guess is that if everyone that attends there becomes aware of what happens you will be reimbursed for your services, and the person who is responsible for the shameful way that you were treated will get his/her rightful comeuppance.

(ETA: If you are comfortable doing so; and I'm also making a huge leap in assuming that the folks that go to the church there are decent and compassionate people who would want to right a wrong that has been done. I must be getting sappy.)

Guest Anonymous

I'm so sorry to hear the church screwed you over. I agree with others that you shouldn't have had to repay the money and they would thoroughly deserve to be named and shamed if you wanted to do that.

Personally, from what you have said, I would have thought that the most immediate focus for you right now needs to be crisis management. Are you claiming any benefits to which you are entitled? Are there any food banks, shelters or other charitable resources that could help tide you over?

Beyond that, is there any work at all available over the Christmas period? Any agencies to which you could sign even for the odd day's work? Does your former college have any schemes to support their graduates? Have you any contacts there that you could reach out to, who might have ideas for you?

As to the book/personal appearances thing, it is hard for me to see how you could use that to achieve your immediate goal of getting to Disney for Christmas. Unless you have an actual book proposal and an actual publisher who is ready to sign an advance cheque then there is probably a long way to go before you can make money out of articulating your experiences in that way. The bare bones of your story is already out on the net for free and you'd likely need to add to it substantially (eg sell out Darth Daddy openly) in order to get people to buy a copy. If you start making PA's in advance of an imminent book publication, you are vulnerable to getting screwed over again in various ways and if you tell the 'sensational' parts of your story in person then you risk others outing you and your family once the event is over.

I'm being cynical here but you said you are desperate: the one possible way I can think you might get immediate financial help for Christmas is via the donations button on your blog. I know you've been through 20 rounds with supporters and detractors on that issue and I'm not at all sure it would be the best long-term solution for you but it's there as a possibility.

What the church group did was inexcusable. Go to the pastor and explain your situation and how you were treated. They must have at least 300 in petty cash to cover you. And tell the pastor or deacon or whoever that you are in an untenable situation and living out of your car.

Perhaps they can find a place for you or help you connect with services? A lot of churches, and synagogues have services like that. You don't have to be a parishioner or even a member of the religion.

My advice is to also seek seasonal retail employment. There is a shortage out there and someone will hire you. Lots of smaller stores like Williams Sonoma and Sur La Table or Ann Taylor might be pleasant places to work. Plus it could mean longer term employment after the holidays. I know less than a month's worth of work isn't much, but its a start. I know how hard it is to work towards a degree and end up in retail or food service. But, its a stop gap measure. And many people start out in retail but, with a degree and some hard work, end up in corporate at these stores. I know quite a few people who prefer working at Whole Foods and Trader Joes to their office jobs (good pay and better work environment).

Where are you located? I know that the Jewish Federation here in PA (but also in many other places) runs career development centers. You don't have to be Jewish to seek services, in fact most people who do aren't. There are also similar Catholic run charities. They can also help you apply for food stamps, emergency housing, and other services. Think of them just as stop gap measures until you get things going.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Ellie's parents might be a good place too. I know it might be awkward and certainly you don't want them to think you're a leech. But, they know your situation. Maybe they can at least sponsor your trip to Disney with them. Or perhaps they can connect you with a friend or relative that has a spare room. Maybe someone knows someone else who has a job for you....

To make a short story long, ask ask ask. Ask for help, ask for advice.... Its amazing how helpful people are. Most people have families to fall back on. You don't have that. So ask. Ask for job leads and housing leads. You'll be amazed at what people can do. I don't want to talk down to you but the way things work is that people generally get jobs and find places to live through word of mouth and through others helping them. Most jobs are never posted, and the nicest apartments/rooms to rent aren't either. They get passed from one person to another by talking.

For instance, a classmate of mine has a nice part time job. I told him that I'd love a job like his. Well, actually, he's leaving it for something else in January..... So he gave them my resume as a replacement. Its how he got the job too... a friend who worked there knew that they needed another person and gave his resume to the director of the organization.

And you have some level of community here too. Perhaps someone at FJ knows of a job... maybe a position as a nanny or a caretaker for someone older. Something with housing involved. Or they know of someone who needs a house or pet sitter. Maybe a shop that needs another pair of hands...

Okay, will stop ranting. Good luck.

take them to tv court and let judge judy tell them a thing or two. your appeaarance fee is $1000, rooming, transportation and food, in addition to anything you might win from the other side.

stay away from williams-sonoma. they are a bad bad store. they are not a small store, they are part of a large chain with over 1,000 stores among all the brands. they have been known to fire people the day before benefits begin. you are discriminated against if you are NOT homosexual. trust me, i have been there. i would advise anyone not to buy things from them, they buy in bulk from sweatshops and repackage it here into retail units, thereby it's made in america. anything they sell, you can find for 1/2 the price and twice the quality if you look hard enough.

The pastor emailed this morning and asked Mr to come in for a talk. I told him I needed to be paid just as everyone else who provided service needed to be paid. He told me that the lady who booked me misunderstood the budget for that particular group. I said that I undrrstood things happen but that that didn't mean I should suffer for her mistake. He played the wwjd card on me and asked if I would "write this off to getting my message out ". I told him that it wasn't about that and I expected payment. He was really unhappy but said he would see what he could do. I am unimpressed with this church. I told him that part of my message was standing up for myself and that he needed to do what was agreed upon. We shall see.

Annie- I am still working as a server and greeter. The trailer situation was entirely my fault as I didn't read the contract really well and missed a payment for slip rental on top of trailer utilities...thought it was all in one and didn't think slip rent was charged annually. My mistake and the car I bought is a van with space to lay down. I am ok in that regard and this will be temporary. I have to admit that I have a tendency to panic.

Archived