IGNORED

Teen Mom Star Calls rape "a sorry excuse" for abortion

Mela99

Sigh. I was hoping it wasn't Catelynn as I liked her. But she is naive. If she gets any kind of degree in social work and is employed as a public social worker of any kind, she'll lose that attitude in a week, tops. Of course, I also don't think she would have the kind of grit needed to remain in the job for very long.

Still, I almost prefer this to rape/incest exceptions because I feel they are more honest. Those who make the exception say that they aren't shaming women because they are for LIFE, but that it's okay to abort the fetus if the mother didn't choose to have sex. They refuse to see the hypocrisy there. Why is a baby conceived in rape more okay to kill than one conceived through consensual sex?

However, they wouldn't like my answer, as I believe that any woman should be able to abort for any listed reason and it's between her and God, ultimately.

Catelynn has flip flopped on her career goals a few times before. I remember for awhile she said she wanted to go into nursing. There was an episode where and Tyler visited at a community college and spoke with an adviser who discussed the pre-reqs for nursing and I remember she freaked out. She also lied about her grades to that adviser. She and Tyler are naive about a lot of things. Tyler has talked about social work or being a psychologist, but he seems dim about those careers. When I used to post about TM on IMDB, one poster said that she got the feeling that Tyler thinks that he can set up a counseling practice without a graduate degree.

I wouldn't be surprised if Catelynn drops the social worker goal at some point.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She has become a martyr with anti-choice people. I haven't looked the iMDB boards for Teen Mom in awhile, but a couple of years back there were several posters always praising Catelynn for not aborting. But they didn't praise the other girls for not aborting. I liked Catelynn and Tyler on their 16&Pregnant episode. But as the Teen Mom series went on I started to dislike both of them. They got bad grades in school and I believe they didn't finish high school until 19. I also recall that both missed a lot of school after the baby was born. All of the teen moms have their flaws, but sometimes on IMDB and twop, C&T were seen as saints for putting Carly up for adoption. C&T's drug use has been known for a few years, they had myspace pages that showed them drinking and smoking pot.

I have a friend who is an adopted and she is very anti-choice and always uses the adoption is alternative abortion motto. She has said the cases in which abortion should happen are if the mother's life is in danger. She was apart of Facebook group that wad called something like "Adoptees Against Abortion". That group doesn't exist anymore. My friend used to post anti-choice things on FB quite a bit, but in the past year she hasn't posted anything. Maybe her opinions have changed. As for Catelynn, maybe her opinion will change on aborting children conceived through rape. The adoption agency she used was discussed once on IMDB and someone said that it was a very conservative Christian type organization.

The other Teen Moms chose not to abort (pro life good), but they also kept their babies to raise them as single parents (even if they were with the baby daddy when the baby was born, it didn't stay that way). Catelynn and Tyler gave their baby to a nice Christian couple (pro life perfect), that makes them the wisest of the Teen Moms. :roll:

I agree with those who think Catelynn knows that she would keep a rapist's baby, and therefore all other women should too... and it's something she'll grow out of if she goes into real social work. If she goes to work at a Pregnancy Crisis Center, maybe not. I think they're staffed by volunteers, so she could skip all the schooling and go right to "counseling" women in the Christian way. This option might not broaden her world view.

OMFG, I hate the "I could have been aborted if my mother hadn't chosen adoption!" argument. I was born to teen parents who had already put up one child for adoption. I have met my "sister" and we are both pretty staunchly pro-choice, although we both easily could have been aborted. Knowing that my parents easily could have chosen abortion doesn't make me anti-choice any more than knowing about my conception makes me pro-drunken unprotected teen sex, without which I wouldn't be alive. It is such a lame argument.

I agree. And another reason that it doesn't make sense logically is because you can make the opposite argument, too-- there are people who were only born BECAUSE of abortions. Like, y'know, me. My grandmother has told me countless times that if she and my grandfather hadn't chosen an (illegal, self-performed) abortion in the 40s, they never would have had my mother later on, and thus I never would have been born. Think the pro-lifers would appreciate this as evidence for why abortion is a good thing? :?

The other Teen Moms chose not to abort (pro life good), but they also kept their babies to raise them as single parents (even if they were with the baby daddy when the baby was born, it didn't stay that way). Catelynn and Tyler gave their baby to a nice Christian couple (pro life perfect), that makes them the wisest of the Teen Moms. :roll:

I agree with those who think Catelynn knows that she would keep a rapist's baby, and therefore all other women should too... and it's something she'll grow out of if she goes into real social work. If she goes to work at a Pregnancy Crisis Center, maybe not. I think they're staffed by volunteers, so she could skip all the schooling and go right to "counseling" women in the Christian way. This option might not broaden her world view.[/quote]

I can see Catelynn doing something like that. She and Tyler both are very impressionable and they are being pimped out for publicity by the Bethany Christian Services. As I mentioned before, I wouldn't be surprised if Catelynn decides not to go into social work. I can also her working for BCS and doing a lot of unethical shit.

Some of these commenters make me want to :angry-screaming: and :angry-banghead: at the stupid. I agree with AmberBear: The world cannot revolve around you beliefs, idea(l)s, and or opinions such as abortion, creationism, and Christian theocracy. No matter if abortion is seen as a fact proven by statistics religious pandering websites that babies cells are killed destroyed. And if you're desperately trying to prove your pro-life opinions, base it on scientific fact, not religious emotion backed by religious websites and their "statistics". See, that's the difference people who claim that abortion is killing teh babies proved by "scientific fact that agrees with the Bible" and people who prove that evolution happens without having an agenda: the evolution theorists have observable, recordable, no agenda-setting to prove their religion right behind their theories.

They just want to teach the facts. But according to the speshul religious snowflakes, that's bias. And I suppose to them it's not bias if a communist hands out Marxist tracts and a Christian hands out Chick tracts. After all, they both have a right according to fundies, right? And now I'm going off topic... :oops:

Out of curiosity I checked out the IMDB boards and Catelynn's rape comment hasn't been discussed there, but there an article from October in which the adoptive parents of Carly were interview and they admitted that they were picked by C&T before MTV had selected C&T for 16 and Pregnant. So a lot of the 16&P episode was staged. I'm not surprised that things were staged other 16&P/Teen Mom participants have spilled on staged events.

http://theashleysrealityroundup.com/201 ... -teen-mom/

Just who does this little bitch think she is making judgement calls against women who have been raped? She disgust me with all of her ignorant pro-life rhetoric.

Ugh, yes. Hyperemesis is one of the reasons I aborted (the others were poor overall health, poverty, lack of health insurance, and pregnancy with multiples). I lost my job, I needed a ton of dental work afterwards, and it re-triggered my panic disorder because among my phobias is vomiting*. I'm also terrified of the dentist...

I hate how anti-choice people act like being pregnant is some trivial inconvenience. It's not like being out of clean socks, people.

*Still, though I've been through a lot of therapy since and can now throw up without it ruining my entire week.

I have never been pregnant, but I used to vomit a lot when I was a little kid. I too had to get dental work.

Lurker here coming out to comment.

For as long as I can remember I was a Pro-Life advocate. Always spouting my big mouth that there had to be another option. Adoption is always an option. Life slapped me in the face pretty hard and knocked me off my pedestool. I was raped by a family member. My former Brother in law. I never reported him because I felt like I was the one to blame. I put myself in the position to be in a compromising position. He used that to get his way. since my rape was not violent, I always felt it would be a he said she said situation. I got pregnant from this encounter. I had 4 boys already with my husband and I talked to my husband in depth and we decided to keep the baby and say it was his. Well, my brother in law found out about the pregnancy and took a stab in the dark that it was his. He continued to harass me. Telling me he was going to take me to court for cusody, telling me he would kidnap the baby and leave the country, tell me how he would make up lies to CPS to get my other kids removed from my home. I realized through this that sometimes, all those other options I was so sure to preach about are sometimes not available. I couldn't put the baby up for adoption if he was going to try and estabilish paternity, I could keep the baby and fight but at what cost to my boys? I made the choice in this situation to have an abortion. I made the choice to protect the 4 I have and sacrifice the one I didn't. I was 8 weeks along and I still feel it is the right choice. It also made me learn that choice is very important. You can not predict every scenario and pretend to know.

I have since had 4 losses. I wonder all the time if it is due to the choice to abort. I will never know but I also have no regrets.

I hope Catelynn grows up and realizes this herself someday and I hope for her sake she doesn't change her attitude the same way I had to.

For as long as I can remember I was a Pro-Life advocate. Always spouting my big mouth that there had to be another option. Adoption is always an options. Life slapped me in the face pretty and knocked me off my pedestool. I was raped by a family member. My former Brother in law. I never reported him because I felt like I was the one to blame. I put myself in the position to be in a compromising position. He used that to get his way. since my rape was violent, I always felt it would be a he said she said situation. I got pregnant from this encounter. I had 4 boys already with my husband and I talked to my husband in depth and we decided to keep the baby and say it was his. Well, my brother in law found out about the pregnancy and took a stab in the dark that it was his. He continued to harass me. Telling me he was going to take me to court for cusody, telling me he would kidnap the baby and leave the country, tell me how he would make up lies to CPS to get my other kids removed from my home. I realized through this that sometimes, all those other options I was so sure to preach about are sometimes not available. I couldn't put the baby up for adoption if he was going to try and estabilish paternity, I could keep the baby and fight but at what cost to my boys? I made the choice in this situation to have an abortion. I made the choice to protect the 4 I have and sacrifice the one I didn't. I was 8 weeks along and I still feel it is the right choice. It also made me learn that choice is very important. You can not predict every scenario and pretend to know.

I have since had 4 losses. I wonder all the time if it is due to the choice to abort. I will never know but I also have no regrets.

I hope Catelynn grows up and realizes this herself someday and I hope for her sake she doesn't change her attitude the same way I had to.

I'm sorry about what you went through. My heart goes out to you. I also hope Catelynn grows up.

For as long as I can remember I was a Pro-Life advocate. Always spouting my big mouth that there had to be another option. Adoption is always an option. Life slapped me in the face pretty hard and knocked me off my pedestool. I was raped by a family member. My former Brother in law. I never reported him because I felt like I was the one to blame. I put myself in the position to be in a compromising position. He used that to get his way. since my rape was not violent, I always felt it would be a he said she said situation. I got pregnant from this encounter. I had 4 boys already with my husband and I talked to my husband in depth and we decided to keep the baby and say it was his. Well, my brother in law found out about the pregnancy and took a stab in the dark that it was his. He continued to harass me. Telling me he was going to take me to court for cusody, telling me he would kidnap the baby and leave the country, tell me how he would make up lies to CPS to get my other kids removed from my home. I realized through this that sometimes, all those other options I was so sure to preach about are sometimes not available. I couldn't put the baby up for adoption if he was going to try and estabilish paternity, I could keep the baby and fight but at what cost to my boys? I made the choice in this situation to have an abortion. I made the choice to protect the 4 I have and sacrifice the one I didn't. I was 8 weeks along and I still feel it is the right choice. It also made me learn that choice is very important. You can not predict every scenario and pretend to know.

You are amazingly strong. It is women like you who make me want to keep fighting. <3

jafrmano, I am sorry you had to make a choice that was clearly so hard for you, and that you were the victim of such violence and cruelty from a family member.

It's vanishingly unlikely that having had a termination had anything to do with miscarrying later pregnancies. If you have a chance to talk with your OB-GYN about this, she or he might be able to set your mind at rest.

Best to you.

jafrmano, I am sorry you had to make a choice that was clearly so hard for you, and that you were the victim of such violence and cruelty from a family member.

It's vanishingly unlikely that having had a termination had anything to do with miscarrying later pregnancies. If you have a chance to talk with your OB-GYN about this, she or he might be able to set your mind at rest.

Best to you.

You are correct in that and I didn't mean it as it was a likely effect of the termination. In fact, both my OB and extensive research indicates it most likely isn't. I just meant it as it crosses my mind and even though I could use that a reason to continue to find fault in my choice, I don't. I made the right choice for my family at the time and the choice is something everyone deserves. :)

Thank you for the kind words.

While I PERSONALLY would probably not choose abortion due to my own PERSONAL RELIGIOUS beliefs, I would never expect others to live up to my standards, and I would never want them to force me to live up to theirs!

And that's what I consider pro-choice. :)

I wonder what CateLynn would say if adoption just wasn't an option. I mean, to say "adoption is always an option to abortion" would not be a realistic argument to make if she lived in my country where we have no system with adoption. Max. 5-6 children get adopted each year here. We rely heavily on the foster care system and the idea that a child should be taken care of by his/her bio-parent(s) (if it so means the soc. services must provide help/support in the home for 10 hours a day).

I have to admit that until very recently, I was extremely anti-choice. I had the same opinion as Catelynn about rape. I have since realized how wrong I was. Hopefully Catelynn will wake up and realize this too.

Archived