IGNORED

Teen Mom Star Calls rape "a sorry excuse" for abortion

Mela99

I had to share this with people would could provide the correct reactions. Have at it.

If people are so concerned with preserving life, what about the life that has been shattered and destroyed by rape? I volunteered at a women's crisis center and some of the things these women suffered I would not wish on my worst enemy. How they can go on with their lives is a testament to human nature. Spending fifteen minutes reliving their nightmares was eough for them. But spending nine months and then the rest of your life with a flashing reminder in your face is inhuman.

http://teenmomtalk.com/catelynn-lowell-talks-abortion/

I also loved her "Well I met lots of kids who've been given up for adoption because of rape, just cause "there" dad is messed up doesn't mean they will be"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. The comments section is all kinds of fuckery too. Nothing like some good old fashioned victim blaming to perpetuate rape culture.

Completely agree with Catelynn. It is still a baby… the method of conception does not change the meaning of life! why should the baby be punished because the mother cannot handle it. ya I’d feel bad for her but not as bad as for the murdered child.

I have 3 kids and a life currently in progress. I can't believe someone would want to force me or one of my daughters to carry a rapists baby, a pregnancy we never signed up for, thus altering our entire lives forever. While I PERSONALLY would probably not choose abortion due to my own PERSONAL RELIGIOUS beliefs, I would never expect others to live up to my standards, and I would never want them to force me to live up to theirs!

I think that's exactly the right attitude to have!

It just makes me sick when a few cells are given more rights and respect than a woman who has survived something as horrific as rape.

Not wishing ill on the commenters, but I wonder how many tunes would change if they were a rape victim? I hope they never have to find out.

Sigh. I was hoping it wasn't Catelynn as I liked her. But she is naive. If she gets any kind of degree in social work and is employed as a public social worker of any kind, she'll lose that attitude in a week, tops. Of course, I also don't think she would have the kind of grit needed to remain in the job for very long.

Still, I almost prefer this to rape/incest exceptions because I feel they are more honest. Those who make the exception say that they aren't shaming women because they are for LIFE, but that it's okay to abort the fetus if the mother didn't choose to have sex. They refuse to see the hypocrisy there. Why is a baby conceived in rape more okay to kill than one conceived through consensual sex?

However, they wouldn't like my answer, as I believe that any woman should be able to abort for any listed reason and it's between her and God, ultimately.

What an ignorant statement. I used to watch that show a few years ago and I always sort of liked Catelynn, since she seemed to be one of the least dramatic girls, but it does seem she's very naive.

I've never watched this show and don't really care to, but it's obvious this young woman is likely regurgitating what's been taught to her instead of actually thinking things through; putting herself in the rape victim's shoes. It's easy to be high and mighty about a situation you've never been in yourself.

I think if you think it's a life then rape shouldn't be an excuse, because it should receive the same rights regardless. Someone saying "it's a life, but in cases of rape it's okay" bothers be worse.

Either way she's wrong because you shouldn't need any reason for abortion. Why do people care what stupid non-entities like this girl think?

*sigh* I agree w/ Maude. She still strikes me as a very naive person. Even if she's one of the more mature Teen Moms. That says something right there. Even being in the situation of having been raped, I don't know WHAT I would've done had I become pregnant. Probably would not abort, but I can't fault someone for doing so. I think her opinion will probably change at some point. Ya know?

well this is who is giving advice.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/09/17/catelynn- ... marijuana/

Oh yeah, because none of us here have EVER gone near recreational vegetation. :roll:

Look, she was a kid who went through something extremely traumatic (giving up her baby), with an abusive loser of a mother and and a stepfather with the same stellar qualities who also cycles in and out of jail. I vote for cutting her some slack. Hopefully one day she will grow up, but she is more worthy of pity than snark, IMHO.

I haven't watched this show either, but that comment made me me angry. This teen mom sounds like a judgmental bitch. That's the last thing a woman who got pregnant from a rape needs to hear.

I wonder if adopting it her kid has made Catelynn a martyr in some anti choice circles. If those types have got to her, they maybe simultaneously validating her difficult decision and grooming her to be a anti choice spokesperson.

I wonder if adopting it her kid has made Catelynn a martyr in some anti choice circles. If those types have got to her, they maybe simultaneously validating her difficult decision and grooming her to be a anti choice spokesperson.

That may be part of it. The adoption agency she used was Christian, so there could be an anti-abortion agenda there.

I also get the impression that Caitlyn didn't really want to give up her daughter, but she felt she had to because of her circumstances. She wants her baby so much and can't understand another woman's POV.

Oh, wow...some of the comments on that page are infuriating. What is with anti-choicers being so emphatic that "science" is so firmly on their side? They become indignant if that is challenged. They will throw things out like "it has unique DNA" as if that is some magic bullet to end all debate? They never bother to go to the next intellectual step and ask if DNA, a heartbeat, etc. are indicative of something important. THAT could at least be a potentially meaningful debate (although ultimately irrelevant because I am pro-choice primarily because of bodily rights arguments. I don't care if it's a miniature talking person in my uterus..it still has no more right to use/invade my body than anyone does).

The amount of shaming in some of those comments makes me want to scream.

i can't believe she pushes for adoption so hard, when her whole experience was put on tv for the world to see how badly it messes up the birth mom psycologically

The thing with an unwanted pregnancy is that there's never an easy choice. While adoption might have been right for Catelynn in her situation, that's not going to be the case for every woman. Why should she be treated like a martyr and a woman who makes the equally difficult choice to abort be shamed? Ugh.

Guest Anonymous
Oh, wow...some of the comments on that page are infuriating. What is with anti-choicers being so emphatic that "science" is so firmly on their side? They become indignant if that is challenged. They will throw things out like "it has unique DNA" as if that is some magic bullet to end all debate? They never bother to go to the next intellectual step and ask if DNA, a heartbeat, etc. are indicative of something important. THAT could at least be a potentially meaningful debate (although ultimately irrelevant because I am pro-choice primarily because of bodily rights arguments. I don't care if it's a miniature talking person in my uterus..it still has no more right to use/invade my body than anyone does).

The amount of shaming in some of those comments makes me want to scream.

The comments are awful. I always know I should avoid them, but they always draw me in:

This one is presented as the ultimate 'gotcha' question:

#1. Please explain to me what it is that you think humans breed in their bodies if not a human child. Also, define the term “fetus.â€

Followed up with this gem of non-existent logic:

A baby is a young child. A “fetus†is a young child, thus logically we can conclude that a fetus is a baby.

And then this:

What we are trying to do is “dangerous†but slaughtering 50 million unborn human children is humane? You have a skewed sense of reality.

It makes me so angry.

I have mentioned a few times before that I had a pregnancy scare after being raped. I knew in that moment (pissing in a pot in a sexual health clinic) that I absolutely would have an abortion if it came to it (thankfully, I wasn't pregnant and hadn't contracted any STDs). I do respect other women's choices if they want to carry that pregnancy to term, either to raise the baby themselves or have it adopted, hence the term 'pro-choice'.

ETA: another fun comment.

Everyone pro-choice should have been aborted. It’s a victory for all women!

Oh yeah, because none of us here have EVER gone near recreational vegetation. :roll:

Look, she was a kid who went through something extremely traumatic (giving up her baby), with an abusive loser of a mother and and a stepfather with the same stellar qualities who also cycles in and out of jail. I vote for cutting her some slack. Hopefully one day she will grow up, but she is more worthy of pity than snark, IMHO.

How old is she now? How old was she when she got pregnant?

But guys...abortion hurts their feewings!! Didn't you see the commenter who cries every time she sees sea baybeez?! Abortion should be illegal cause it makes people sad!

She was pregnant when she was 16-17. I think her daughter's about 3 now which would make her 19-20

Young enough that she's still growing into her brain. Let's all hope for a weather change in her attitudes as she grows up further.

Archived