IGNORED

Afghan teen's father turns down marriage offer, bad result.

shesinsane

You know how a woman is gorgeous, wonderful, and pretty until she turns a guy down, then she's an ugly man-hating bitch? Some men in Afghanistan took it to a whole new level.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/11/29 ... latestnews

Afghan police have arrested two men in the murder of a 15-year-old girl after her father refused a marriage proposal, the Telegraph reports.

The girl reportedly was collecting water from a stream in her village in northern Afghanistan when she was attacked, and her throat slashed.

Police say one of the suspects recently proposed to marry the girl, but her father said she was too young to be engaged, the Telegraph reports.

"At this stage it looks like they wanted to marry her and the father refused, so they killed her," said police spokesman Syed Sarwar Hosseini, according to the Telegraph.

The two men were arrested on murder charges and remain in police custody, according to AFP.

I'm glad that minds are changing in Afghanistan so that 15 is too young to marry, now they have to work on that whole "if I can't have you, no one can" part. The two men were arrested, but unless the father of the dead girl has a lot of money and power, I doubt they will be punished for their crime. Makes me glad to be in America, where if I turn down a guy's offer chances are the worst he'll do is say bad things about me to his buddies.

I'm glad that there are sane people like this father who realized he a 15 year old can wait on marriage. Too bad he is punished for his decision. I have hopes that the girl's family will see justice. The judicial system in Afghanistan is horrible though. Most families end up using tribal justice to get any results.

Unfortunately, tribal justice sometimes don't work out well either. There have been instances where young girls from the criminal's family are arranged to be married into the victim's family to assuage hard feeling, plus a payment of blood money. In those cases, the actual killers will not serve any jail time, instead punishment falls on the young girls sacrificed to the victim's family as new wives. This arrangement is like a prison sentence to the young girls exchanged, who are already vulnerable by marrying into another family, but now has to contend with living amongst people who may take anger out on them.

I don't know if that area of Afghanistan practices this type of tribal justice. Whatever happens, I suspect it will be biased against the girl. The judges may hesitate about severely punishing the men for murdering a female, as girls are still seen as chattel in many parts of Afghanistan.

That's sad. The father was sane enough to realize that 15 was too young for marriage, yet his daughter was killed because he tried to do what he thought was best, which was likely to wait until she was older before having her get married. The sad thing is that girls are still chattel, and if there is tribal justice, the girl's family won't get the murderers punished.

WTF? The suitor couldn't take the girl's daddy's rejection, so said suitor kills her? That's just EVIL!

Archived