IGNORED

Mormon Mommy blogs

YPestis

I have an unusual Mormon friend. She grew up with a single mother (her father took off when she was very young). Part of her childhood was spent with her grandparents in Utah and the rest with her working mom. She is in her 30's and never married. She is practicing and still goes to temple, but I wonder how she does it being single at that age in Mormon culture.

As much as I abhor the FDLS, at least they are more honest IMO. The Mormons just magically had God tell their prophets to give up polygamy when they were up for statehood. Oh how very convenient...it seems like God will tell them anything if it benefits their money machine they call a church.

In main stream mormonism, polygamy still exists in heaven :think:. The excuse I was given for not practicing it now is that they had to change it because it was the law of the land.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well maybe in the Ozarks, it's very pretty there. :?

Nope. They believe it's near Independence. Independence ain't pretty (the courthouse is nice, though, and the Community of Christ temple is a real eye-catcher). And there's Adam-ondi-Ahman which is where they believe that Adam and Eve lived after getting expelled from the garden. It's in Daviess County, MO. And someday the call will go out (supposedly) for all believing Saints to go back to Jackson County, MO (where Independence is) to await the return of Christ. He's going to show up at Temple Lot (which is owned by an off-shoot of an off-shoot). It's all kinds of fucked up around here. :doh:

I think Mormonism is extra bizarre because it is a product of the 19th century. Unlike Jesus or Moses or Mohammed, we have legitimate independent sources on Joseph Smith's life. We have access to newspapers and court records and whatnot from the time. Experts know about the theological discourse that was going around in upstate New York at the time and how closely the book of Mormon mirrors it. So, while there's no evidence that the exodus ever happened or that Jesus was crucified and rose from the dead and that Mohammad rose to heaven, we know much more about the life of and times of Joseph Smith than we know about the history of the ancient Israelites, what was happening in Judea around the year 30, or what was going on in Saudi Arabia in the 6th century, and that makes the claims of Mormonism seem particularly bizarre.

That is exactly what sparked my interest in mormonism (which predates my interest in fundies).

It's not a matter of taking things on faith - the whole mormon story and philosophy and Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, can be and have been totally discredited. Which makes the many believers and the growth of the church particularly fascinating to me.

I think Mormonism is extra bizarre because it is a product of the 19th century. Unlike Jesus or Moses or Mohammed, we have legitimate independent sources on Joseph Smith's life. We have access to newspapers and court records and whatnot from the time. Experts know about the theological discourse that was going around in upstate New York at the time and how closely the book of Mormon mirrors it. So, while there's no evidence that the exodus ever happened or that Jesus was crucified and rose from the dead and that Mohammad rose to heaven, we know much more about the life of and times of Joseph Smith than we know about the history of the ancient Israelites, what was happening in Judea around the year 30, or what was going on in Saudi Arabia in the 6th century, and that makes the claims of Mormonism seem particularly bizarre.

This. While I don't think it makes sense to claim that Mormonism is ~so crazzzyyyy~ compared to other religions, I still think the fact many people find it so strange makes sense, given the time range. Do I personally think it's that much weirder to think that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri? Not particularly, but I'm not religious, so it's all sort of the same to me, and it all sounds kind of bonkers. It's just easier I think to harp on the strangeness in Mormonism because it seems so obviously made up to us in a way that things from much farther in the past can't. There's a sense of the mythical when we think of, say, 'Judea around the year 30' that doesn't exist when we consider Western New York or Nauvoo in the 1840's. Like you said, we kind of know what was going on then in a way that is a lot more concrete.

She has so much talent, I have a lot of her stamps. They certainly are a motivational couple. If you're ever down feeling sorry for yourself go read her blog.

I found Jason's blog sometime after Cole was born. I started following Kolette's blog after that. I like both of them, they didn't talk about Mormonism a lot and Jason used to interfaith activities quite a bit. I wish Jason would return to blogging. I found him and Kolette to be inspiring compared to Stephanie and Christian Nielson.

I love all of these blogs, the Mormon ones, the organising ones, the crafty ones, the homeschoolers, the simple life homesteaders (all my old favourite homsteaders have flouned or given up the internet -anytips on new ones?)

I think the at that Mormonism can be successful shows how futilethe fight against religion is. People will believe anything they want to, no matter how much evidence there is tat it's false.

No strong-arming involved---I think it's a combination of "everyone should keep a journal" teachings, and bored stay at home moms with too much money.

If there's pressure to look perfect it's a damn sight easier to do it on a blog than in real life. Maybe blogging a perfect life gets the home visitors off their back?

A friend and I have an ongoing joke where we take blog-style pictures for each other, then follow up with the wider shot or another angle or a pic taken two minutes later when the cherubs are fighting. And of course, by taking te pics, sending each ither messages we're guilty of not being present with our kids.

Archived