IGNORED

The Ruth Institute

Deleted07

I did a search and couldn't find a topic dedicated this site and their cray-cray! So hope you don't mind my starting it and sharing about them here...

ruthinstitute.org

What brought them to my attention was this Video, that is going around -

zl0WrRE4IvY

_

Long story short OMG Did you know your children at college might be meeting gay people?!? We have to stop this now before it gets any worse and they catch the gay!!! *Sarcastic paraphrasing* but that is the basic tone for this video -

Their website features banners stating "I support NATURAL marriage. One Man. One Woman. For Life." :roll: and talks about their pershekushuns!111!

"In an age where traditional marriage is under assault from all sides, Christians must help young people not only understand the value of marriage, but also how to prepare for marriage and how to defend marriage in their spheres of influence. This is precisely what Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse and the Ruth Institute are doing.

Their facebook page can be found [link=http://www.facebook.com/TheRuthInstitute]here,[/link] I encourage you to report it to facebook for hate speech, against gender or orientation.

This kind of stuff never fails to shock and appall me!

I did a search and couldn't find a topic dedicated this site and their cray-cray! So hope you don't mind my starting it and sharing about them here...

ruthinstitute.org

What brought them to my attention was this Video, that is going around -

zl0WrRE4IvY

_

Long story short OMG Did you know your children at college might be meeting gay people?!? We have to stop this now before it gets any worse and they catch the gay!!! *Sarcastic paraphrasing* but that is the basic tone for this video -

Their website features banners stating "I support NATURAL marriage. One Man. One Woman. For Life." :roll: and talks about their pershekushuns!111!

Their facebook page can be found [link=http://www.facebook.com/TheRuthInstitute]here,[/link] I encourage you to report it to facebook for hate speech, against gender or orientation.

This kind of stuff never fails to shock and appall me!

That enormous crucifix on her chest! Well, at least we recognise her front. What kind of doctor is she, a medical or a PhD? People like this make me seriously doubt the quality of American universities.

She could be an EdD or a ThD. Hell she could even be a chiropractor or naturopath. There's no telling what kind of education she has.

Well I posted a comment on the FB page and within 2 minutes it was gone and the comment section closed (for me that is)

Next year I'll visit my dear friends in the USA, I wonder if I am allowed into the country at all.

A few more of my comments and I will be considered subversive, hence a persona non grata because of my abject comments.....

Gays: more influential than advertising, apparently.

Life would be a lot easier if I were endowed with the powers fundies think I'm endowed with.

Lol! I never understood that line of thinking. My kindergarten teacher was a lesbian. So was my elementary school gym teacher (they even dated each other lol). My first grade teacher came out as a lesbian years later when I was in high school. A high school friend came out as gay after graduation. When I was working retail, two of my managers were gay men. At one point I also had a lesbian co-worker, but she didn't work there for long. I also had a gay friend in college. By these people's logic, I should be a lesbian, yet I am straight. :roll:

To any fundamentalists reading here, in case you haven't heard this already:

If you're nodding along with Dr. J. because you personally have had disturbing impulses while associating with one of Them . . . Oh, honey, it's okay. Nobody's doing anything to you. You're just bisexual. What you choose to do about that is up to you.

She could be an EdD or a ThD. Hell she could even be a chiropractor or naturopath. There's no telling what kind of education she has.

She has a PhD in economics. Here's info from Wikipedia:

Jennifer Roback Morse is the President and Founder of the Ruth Institute, a project of the National Organization for Marriage for the promotion of man/woman marriage. The Institute's mission is to "make marriage cool" by promoting the idea of lifelong, committed marriage. She speaks on college campuses and at other venues around the country on issues concerning marriage.

Morse is a former teacher of economics at George Mason University. She is now a part-time Research Fellow at the Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty.

A Catholic, Morse is a married mother of two: a girl born in 1991, and a Romanian boy she adopted that same year, at the age of 2.

To any fundamentalists reading here, in case you haven't heard this already:

If you're nodding along with Dr. J. because you personally have had disturbing impulses while associating with one of Them . . . Oh, honey, it's okay. Nobody's doing anything to you. You're just bisexual. What you choose to do about that is up to you.

:clap: yup

So an anecdote about an event is supposed to portray some gay agenda to make us all ebil gays?

Here's what I heard: RAs are supposed to organize events. Gay RA organized an event that includes Drag and welcomed in Catholic RA. Catholic RA said no way, and Gay RA wanted to know why (he probably knew that she was being a homophobe and wanted her to be outright in saying it). Catholic RA doesn't want to participate and wants a non-ebil gay influenced event and is whining that she has to plan it herself!!!! I'm sure that there was some stipulation in RA expectations that all RAs help plan events and she is shirking her responsibilities by not helping with Evil Drag Event as well as not planning an alternative event. Seems like Gay RA was giving her an opportunity to help out at Drag Event so she wouldn't have to be saddled with running her own event. And now the Gay RA is being demonized for it.

Aw, bummer. When I saw the title thread "Ruth Institute" I thought RazingRuth had started an institute to help fundies escape/come back to the mainstream. I like my scenario better.

If Dr Morse came to my alma mater, clutching her pearls about LGBT RAs, she would have been laughed off campus. And it's a Catholic school.

Also, I'm STILL trying to figure out how dressing in drag is a sin. :think:

If Dr Morse came to my alma mater, clutching her pearls about LGBT RAs, she would have been laughed off campus. And it's a Catholic school.

Same with my Catholic Alma Mater.

The death throws of a dying breed. I've been married for 5 years and somehow am not threatened by gay marriage. The only defense the haters have is the Bible...there is absolutely no argument outside the biblical arguments.

Same with my Catholic Alma Mater.

Yep, same. Our GSA was the biggest club on campus.

Actually, what she is complaining about happened to me in college. I grew up in a pretty homogenous Catholic town. Not fundy or outright hateful, but the older generation is pretty conservative. I remember being shocked in high school when a teacher (who we knew was Catholic) talked so nonchalantly about her gay relatives because it was such a taboo topic and shouldn't she think being gay is a sin? Our high school had one out lesbian couple but the first time I really interacted with gay people (who were out, at least) was in college. My roommate senior year was even a lesbian! Unfortunately, she didn't make me a lesbian. Maybe it was because she already had a girlfriend so didn't need me.

Amazingly, gay people were just regular people. Kinda disappointing.

Sexual orientation has been added as a protected class in my school district's bullying policy, so I think my hometown is taking baby steps despite our resident (non-denominational Christian) fundy who shows up to every board meeting to bitch about how we aren't promoting traditional family values and are wasting all of her money paying (unionized) teachers. I swear the only reason she doesn't homeschool is so she can complain about how terrible our school district is.

Snickerz, I thought the same thing :D

Somewhere in the old testament it does say in the bible that genders should have their own separate clothing. However, one pastor I've heard suggests that that really means you're not supposed to have one uniform for both genders, not that women shouldn't wear pants/men shouldn't wear skirts...

personally, I think it's kinda like mixing the wool with the flax (in fabric) or going out to dig a hole every time you poop; relevent to the time, but not to now.

Assuming this story is true - that one dorm RA organized a drag day and attempted to bully another RA into attending, that would be an abuse of his power and he should lose his position.

The student in question should have filed a complaint with whatever campus authority disciplines RAs.

Here's the thing I don't get, however: On what grounds would the allegedly homosexual RA have a right to demand the other student develop an alternative event merely because she had chosen not to attend his? That sounds either like a cock-n-bull story or at least like there's another side to it - surprise, surprise - that The Ruth Institute either hadn't heard or didn't share.

Religious people pushing their beliefs on the entire population = totes ok.

RA asking a student why she doesn't want to participate in an event = OMG PERSECUTION!!111

It is all so clear now!

Religious people pushing their beliefs on the entire population = totes ok.

RA asking a student why she doesn't want to participate in an event = OMG PERSECUTION!!111

It is all so clear now!

Of course! If the Catholic RA had organized a prayer group, and the gay RA had declined to participate, it would have totally been within her rights to badger him into it, and in fact she'd be doing him a favor because she's spreading her beliefs to the heathens!

By the way, I'm doing my master's at a Catholic university (after K-undergrad at heathen institutions), and other than the occasional cross on the wall, it's pretty liberal. We just had a teach-in about trans issues where one speaker even snarked about whether she could say certain things under the banner of a Catholic university, and everyone laughed. No pearl-clutching.

Oh, and if being LGBTQ were contagious, I'd be all of the above by now. I'm pretty much the token straight among my friends.

I take it from their name that their idea on how the one-man-one-woman romantic relationships should work is that a woman should get married, have her husband die young, then pledge eternal devotion to her mother-in-law. When times get tough because they are poor and have few options as a female couple to make a living, the more beautiful of the pair should sneak into some rich guy's bed at night and swindle him into marrying her, and then insist that the mother in law stays because that's what ought to happen when you pledge eternal devotion to someone, even someone of the same sex. Yup, marriage, very cool.

I reported the page to facebook, & had an email this morning saying they were unable to determine that the page violated their terms of service or was harassing anyone. :evil:

Archived