IGNORED

The Bible is a love letter!

xReems

So, a few weeks back, I posted a blog that's written by a 25 year old Christian loving girl. She's the wife of a an ex-Jump5 (Christian teen pop band) member and seems a bit fundie-lite in my opinion. She posted a new post, explaining how a love letter form your husband is similar to reading the Bible. According to her, reading the Bible gives you the same feelings as if you're reading a love letter from your spouse. Umm..am I the only one who feels a tad bit grossed out about that? I love God but I would never compare reading the Bhagavad Gita to reading a love letter from my boyfriend. For some reason, it irks me to the core whenever I hear people say things like "I'm married to God!" or "I want a husband who treats me like how our Lord treats me." (Yes, I've heard a girl say that). That's just disgusting and wrong on so many levels. That's exactly what I felt when I was reading Ashley's post when she was comparing the Bible to receiving a love letter. As usual, she ends the post with advertising the Bible and how she's willing to send one to anyone who hasn't experienced the same feeling she gets when reading it. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll keep God and boyfriend separate from each other. I understand people's love for God but please please please keep that separate from the love you feel with your significant other.

ashleyradford.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-love-letter-to-you.html

If the Bible is a love letter, its a pretty messed up one and I wouldnt want to meet the kind of person who would send something like that to their partner.

If the Bible is a love letter, its a pretty messed up one and I wouldnt want to meet the kind of person who would send something like that to their partner.

Unless its Song of Songs... ;) The rest of it reads like Game of Thrones.

Two comments:

That's a miscategorization of what the Bible is, but it's something you hear a lot among fundies. That's because, in their minds, God whispered the words of the scriptures to the writers, who wrote them down and they were miraculously preserved down to today. Similar fundie miscategorizations include calling the Bible a handbook for life or God's cookbook for living or some such.

The Bible is a collection of documents that have been given high spiritual significance over the centuries. The documents were written by different people with entirely different purposes and can't all be lumped together. That's seriously misreading the texts.

Yeah right. My favorite parts of the love letter are the cursing people for eating from a tree, drowning everyone, endorsing rape and genocide and then, finally, killing your own son.

Ugh.

I don't know...there's an awful lot of sex in Game of Thrones. I'd throw the Song of Songs in there too!

SHIT! I like Game of Thrones :(

Just having the Bible and love letters in the same sentence is donwright creepy. The love you have for God and Christ are not even same as the love you have for your spouse. Thix ix the first time I've heard this.

Similar fundie miscategorizations include calling the Bible a handbook for life or God's cookbook for living or some such.

BIBLE ~ Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth

^^^ one that many former 'friends' of mine were always using.

BIBLE ~ Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth

^^^ one that many former 'friends' of mine were always using.

I was trying to remember that acronym. Thanks!

I'm currently taking a year off from my Ph.D. in Russian lit to get an MA in Religious Studies for the sole purpose of understanding the concept of "love" in Christianity. It is a VERY.COMPLEX.CONCEPT., and the fact that people who (unlike me) are actually Christians and believe this stuff and take it seriously cannot be bothered to understand the nuances in their own Scriptures and traditions make me crazy.

Edited because I can spell. :)

As most of you are already aware, the Bible is not a letter or even a book, but rather a large collection of letters, books, poetry, chronicles, and so on (some parts of which by no means exist to woo readers).

Some parts of the Bible are quite wonderful: the Beatitudes, for example; and The Good Samaritan. Joseph's forgiveness of his brothers so many years after they betrayed him. There was Jesus' preservation of Dorcas and her wonderful skill which she used to help those in need. The Book of James also comes to mind.

But it is course I think the Book of Ruth is best. My husband has been very ill of late and just this evening successfully came through a surgery and is now back in ICU.

I took our wedding contract and asked a pastor to bless it. I veiled my face and promised again never to leave my good husband:

"Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.

Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."

--Ruth 1:16-17

In that sense, then, parts of the Bible are a love story.

There must even be some fundy girls indoctrinated with courtship snorting and thinking 'Biblical romance is an oxymoron, no way can the Bible be a love letter'.

Archived