IGNORED

Kidist doesn't know why Nat. Americans are in TG parade

super skeptic

I don't have enough time to go through all of the Kidist threads/posts - I could have sworn that someone had mentioned her rough geographical location. If I'm not delusional, could someone dig that up?

IIRC - Jarvis/Bloor, or thereabouts. She mentions that she's in the Rosedale ward.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never got into Kidist that much, as I think she is seriously genuinely mentally ill. I can't snark on someone who is on the doorstep of a psychotic break.

Question is...does anyone think she is dangerous? I get the drift that she could potentially be violent when she does...the hatred is that palatable.

Pembroke Street, between Gerrard and Dundas.

This is publicly available information I found using Google.

I never got into Kidist that much, as I think she is seriously genuinely mentally ill. I can't snark on someone who is on the doorstep of a psychotic break.Question is...does anyone think she is dangerous? I get the drift that she could potentially be violent when she does...the hatred is that palatable.

This!

I think she is seriously ill and her illness is escalating. Snarking on Kidist is somewhere between mocking the afflicted and poking a rattlesnake. I draw a line at that, personally. If her diagnosis is as bad as I think it probably is, yes she could potentially become dangerous. If off her meds, and without family or adequate mental health supports.

Even with meds, family and adequate supports. -- pyschotic breaks can and still do happen.

I've said before in another thread, the form one symptom of her mental illness takes (the extreme racism) is repulsive. And totally irrational, and delusional in a person of color. I think we have all noted that.

Oddly enough, people of all ethnicities, cultures and classes can be mentally ill. Kidist's Ethiopian heritage, her membership of an elite class prior to her becoming an exile, and her status as an exile/refugee and immigrant may obscure her mental illness.

I'm all for snark, but not on someone as obviously mentally ill as Kidist. I just think it is wrong.

ETA. Deleted a sentence after rethinking.

I never got into Kidist that much, as I think she is seriously genuinely mentally ill. I can't snark on someone who is on the doorstep of a psychotic break.

Question is...does anyone think she is dangerous? I get the drift that she could potentially be violent when she does...the hatred is that palatable.

I concur. There is something deeply troubling about her posts.

So... what's her diagnosis? I'm not a very good internet psychologist so the best I can come up with is raging psychopath, but clearly others here have ideas as to what's eating poor Kidist. Schizophrenia maybe?

I have not read all the posts concerning the Stinking Lousewife or Kidlist, but I did want to say that Laurence can be a woman's name. My grandmother had the middle name of Laurence and Laurence Owen won the US Ladies Figure Skating Championship in 1961. Tragically, she and the other members of the US team were killed in a plane crash in Belgium on their way to World's that year.

Nope; Larry Auster's definitely a guy.

And someone speculated on her recent trips to New York, and what kind of income she might have that allows her to go. My guess is that she has family there--maybe one or both of her parents are still alive?--who pays her way. She's certainly not making a living as a writer (much less a textile designer or photographer), and I don't believe for a minute she ever did. A few articles sold to fringe-conservative publications years ago does not equal a writing career.

This!

I think she is seriously ill and her illness is escalating. Snarking on Kidist is somewhere between mocking the afflicted and poking a rattlesnake. I draw a line at that, personally. If her diagnosis is as bad as I think it probably is, yes she could potentially become dangerous. If off her meds, and without family or adequate mental health supports.

Even with meds, family and adequate supports. -- pyschotic breaks can and still do happen.

I've said before in another thread, the form one symptom of her mental illness takes (the extreme racism) is repulsive. And totally irrational, and delusional in a person of color. I think we have all noted that.

Oddly enough, people of all ethnicities, cultures and classes can be mentally ill. Kidist's Ethiopian heritage, her membership of an elite class prior to her becoming an exile, and her status as an exile/refugee and immigrant may obscure her mental illness.

I'm all for snark, but not on someone as obviously mentally ill as Kidist. I just think it is wrong.

ETA. Deleted a sentence after rethinking.

I have to say that there are some people I generally avoid snarking on for various reasons, and Kidist is one of them. I will read the threads to see what she's saying now, without giving her blog clicks, but I avoid comments for the most part. I had a friend in high school who had a psychotic break and I finally ended up breaking all contact from her, and only recently accepted a friend request on FB. (about 15 years later)

So... what's her diagnosis? I'm not a very good internet psychologist so the best I can come up with is raging psychopath, but clearly others here have ideas as to what's eating poor Kidist. Schizophrenia maybe?

No, as I've said elsewhere I think bipolar with a hefty dose of PTSD (which is my diagnosis too).

If this is correct Kidist and me tilt to different sides. I'm rapid cycling, but I tend very much towards manic, which is why I'm talking to you at 3am. (I do know. Small said to me today "Why do you have blood down your shirt and aren't talking right?") I think she might tend towards depression, which is why she might see other races and even her own race as out to harm her. (She may not know, if my Internet diagnosis is correct.)

I think what she's sometimes saying is "I am frightened, life hasn't always been kind, and I need to blame someone." That's what my depression looks like too, except I blame myself. When I'm manic it's when everyone needs to know my interests. Mine revolve around weaponry, terrorism and Marxism. Kidist is going for fashion and artistic design. But I can see the same thing in it which says "But I NEED YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS IMPORTANT POINT".

I actually lie awake worrying that people haven't understood the difference between single shot firing and multiple bursts when it comes to recoil. I suspect Kidist suffers from the lack of a sound night's sleep as well.

No, as I've said elsewhere I think bipolar with a hefty dose of PTSD (which is my diagnosis too).

If this is correct Kidist and me tilt to different sides. I'm rapid cycling, but I tend very much towards manic, which is why I'm talking to you at 3am. (I do know. Small said to me today "Why do you have blood down your shirt and aren't talking right?") I think she might tend towards depression, which is why she might see other races and even her own race as out to harm her. (She may not know, if my Internet diagnosis is correct.)

I think what she's sometimes saying is "I am frightened, life hasn't always been kind, and I need to blame someone." That's what my depression looks like too, except I blame myself. When I'm manic it's when everyone needs to know my interests. Mine revolve around weaponry, terrorism and Marxism. Kidist is going for fashion and artistic design. But I can see the same thing in it which says "But I NEED YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS IMPORTANT POINT".

I actually lie awake worrying that people haven't understood the difference between single shot firing and multiple bursts when it comes to recoil. I suspect Kidist suffers from the lack of a sound night's sleep as well.

What are your views in us commenting/ snarking on her here? Do you think she should be off limits? Would you hope people didn't discuss what you see as your manic excesses?

No, I think it's fair play (in my case). I am excited about things when I'm manic and talky and I understand from responses offline and online I fuck up.

For Kidist, I think the same thing. Fair play. What you're excited about is what you're interested in. People say to me "but that's gross" and I have never understood it because it's fascinating. Kidist is fixated on racial issues. I do not get why people don't want to know. For Kidist, I don't get the fascination but I suspect the feeling is the same.

Thankyou for your perspective JFC. And I find your obsessions fascinating. Whatever fuels it, your dedication to class warfare to create a better world always makes me think.

I enjoy your posts too JFC, and although I don't have time to post as much as I'd like, some of your more, shall we say, more outspoken posts make me :lol: and :clap:

Back to Kidist. No one can diagnose on the internet, let alone try a differential diagnosis! She could definitely have bipolar disorder/PTSD but to me her fixations and delusions seem more in the direction of schizophrenia. She reminds me of someone I know with that diagnosis who also obsessively published her delusional rants to the public. Who knows? Schizophrenia is often misdiagnosed in women who have bipolar disorder.

I'm not handslapping here. Really, snark on if you want. I'm just trying to say that I, personally, don't want to snark on Kidist and try to avoid threads about her these days because they make me feel stabby. I will give a heads up as to why these threads make me stabby for informational purposes only. :)

Someone upthread was making fun of her perfectly respectable Ethiopian last name. I got annoyed (and edited out a sentence snapping at that person) because it seemed to me to veer in the direction of gross insensitivity at best, and the very racism that we are calling out Kidist for at worst. Not typical behaviour for that poster at all. I usually like her (his?) posts.

Also, others were joking (I hope it was joking) about confronting Kidist at her place of work, accompanied by a person belonging to an ethnicity that Kidist hates.

I think that this would be very ill advised for many different reasons. I'm certainly not saying that all people with mental illness are violent, far from it, but there is something about Kidist that makes me worried. And I think her illness is escalating.

I've also posted elsewhere that there are very valid reasons that people with various diagnoses go on and off their meds. Some anti-psychotics have horrible and permanent side-effects. Sometimes people enjoy the "high" of a manic period. And sometimes *I* wonder why some people have to be drugged up to the eyeballs with these anti-psychotics just to make us, the general public, feel more comfortable around them. I was once on a committee with a person who has Tourette's with a verbal tic -- yes the insults, slurs and pejorative words kind! Meetings were difficult, to say the least, although we all knew the cause and that we should not take it personally. Some of the language thrown around would have probably made even JFC blush. I was merely the "witch," but the c-word and the n-word were also used liberally.

But I digress. Snark on.

Here's my devil's advocate position on this. It seems that Kidist has been doing this for a very long time. I don't doubt that she has unstable characteristics and is probably a very unpleasant person. Maybe she has some form of mental illness. Heck, she could even have some level of autistic behavior where she is so unaware of her actions and how they look to others. But, we've all met die-hard racists and haters. Are we to say that every hateful bigot out there is somehow mentally ill? Bigotry by its very nature lacks logic and reason. This is just my opinion, but if we excuse her bigotry then should we excuse the people who have quoted her to back up their own hatefulness? Isn't everyone here whether it be Zsu Zsu or the Pearls or the Duggars mentally ill because they follow cultish groups, spew hateful rhetoric online in their personal lives, and encourage destructive behavior?

I'm speaking as someone who has suffered from depression and anxiety (and still do). I know how hard it is to deal with mental illness, and mine wasn't nearly as severe as what I've seen others suffering through. What I'm saying is that she could simply be a hateful person who has isolated herself and is becoming more hateful as her life gets worse. She is trying to find scapegoats and make herself feel better about her bad life choices. And she has plenty of reinforcement of that hate online from supporters.

I don't want to start a war and I'm not a troll. I'm just trying to present my view on this. If she's mentally ill then at least she lives in Canada where she is entitled to free healthcare. Then again she would never seek it unless she was forced to. If she's truly unhappy and there's help out there for her then I pray she takes it.

I've also posted elsewhere that there are very valid reasons that people with various diagnoses go on and off their meds. Some anti-psychotics have horrible and permanent side-effects. Sometimes people enjoy the "high" of a manic period. And sometimes *I* wonder why some people have to be drugged up to the eyeballs with these anti-psychotics just to make us, the general public, feel more comfortable around them. I was once on a committee with a person who has Tourette's with a verbal tic -- yes the insults, slurs and pejorative words kind! Meetings were difficult, to say the least, although we all knew the cause and that we should not take it personally. Some of the language thrown around would have probably made even JFC blush. I was merely the "witch," but the c-word and the n-word were also used liberally.

So, you're saying that somebody with Tourette's is the same as somebody who is psychotic?

Having relatives and close friends, as well as siblings of close friends with severe mental illness, I have seen meds save people's lives. If these people had not been medicated, they would be dead now. One friend's sister nearly died in an overdose when trying to self medicate, she also nearly killed an infant niece while in a psychotic state. She is now doing much better in a group home and on the proper medications- from what I see of her life, she's very happy to be alive, even if she can't live on her own. (as much as most of us treasure our independance) Not to mention that her family is very happy to have her alive and able to function. Two family members drank themselves to death because of depression. Another is still alive because they got medical help- and they are happy to be alive and not depressed. Depression isn't the same as psychotic, but it still is serious. And it's amazing that modern medicine has come up with treatments for it. And some people who have manic or depressive phases can be dangerous to others, as well as themselves. Harm doesn't only happen in depression or severe psychosis.

We can't diagnose over the internet, but we can look at somebody and think that yes, they appear to have a mental illness. I'm watching another person right now who is posting all sorts of bigotted things on FB, and combined with other things they post (such as Kidist's thoughts about what other people are thinking, or staring down people), I also think that they are mentally ill. I don't think anybody would say that she was mentally ill if she didn't go on and on about what other people thought of her and put thoughts in their heads. We don't think that the majority of the people we snark on are mentally ill, because they don't obsess the same way that Kidist does.

Nope. I'm not saying mental illness is the same as Tourette's. Gah! I can see that it may have been interpreted that way though. Damn. Sorry. My bad writing skills.

I was describing a difficult situation caused by a disability where a person with one form/symptom of Tourette's (not all people with Tourette's have inappropriate language verbal tics) was behaving in a way that made others seriously uncomfortable. The person with Tourette's that I was describing risked being beated to a pulp every day of his life as he walked around shouting racial, homophobic and sexist slurs in downtown Boston. It was "reasonable accomodation" that protected him in the workplace. He was on meds, but even high -- verging on dangerous -- doses did not control the symptom.

If, and only if, because we are only speculating over the internet, Kidist does have a mental illness, then that is also a disability - with a symptom, overt racism/paranoia, that causes us to be uncomfortable and want to confront it. Reasonable accommodation, reasonable understanding and sensitivity to a sickness (disability) that is not the person's fault. Is that a better analogy?

Phew. I hope that clarifies?

Meds can definitely help, and I'm pro-meds myself. I've taken them for anxiety, depression and some (possible) PTSD symptoms myself. They are not a magic bullet, however. It is a huge balancing act to get the right meds in the right dosage and some of the side-effects of higher doses of may anti-psychotics are horrible. And permenantly disabling in ways that compound the very problems they are supposed to "cure." I have some understanding of why people don't want to take their meds, that's all. The medical establishment and general public labels them non-compliant and judges them. It is just not that simple.

I'm smiling a little because I thought I was the person playing Devil's Advocate here on one of the other (there are many) Kidist threads. Quite a few people think that Kidist is not mentally ill but just a spectacularly disgusting racist.

You may all be absolutely correct. I'm usually all in favor of giving bigots and racists a metaphorical sock in the jaw, but there is something about Kidist that gives me pause. I suspect serious mental illness with an onset perhaps in the late teens/early 20s.

I don't know. I would still urge caution on anyone wanting to confronting her in person, and I decline to snark on her myself.

That is all. Peace.

Edit for riffles and more clarity. Hope I caught them all.

Palimpsest, I think that totally makes sense.

I agree with you that it's utterly wrong to go and confront Kidist. I fail to see what the point in this would be. She's not going to say "Oh yeah, I was mistaken! Thanks for clarifying"

However it may be interesting to

see
Kidist, which was what FJists were saying, I think. She's sorta a rightwing celeb "A BLACK PERSON WHO SIMULTANEOUSLY WISHES SHE WAS WHITE AND BELIEVES SHE IS! WE WON THE JACKPOT GUYZ". And considering on FJ we discuss the theological right (I haven't seen any discussions of liberation theology here) I don't think it's bad necessarily to discuss her thoughts as a reflection of wider right wing thinking.

She is, unfortunately, a tempting target. I think if we had consensus she was mentally ill feelings may change.

I think her racist views are vile, as racist views are.

I also think she comes across as mentally unbalanced, although I couldn't even think of a diagnosis. It's unusual for someone to be so overt, commenting on people in public, commenting at people she sees, delivering verbal broadsides with no provocation. She seems also to reframe every situation to fit with her view, like when she assumes people are agreeing with her, when they are probably just trying to avoid confrontation. Her world is a construct that isn't congruent with anyone else's reality.

I would be careful about what I said about her because I personally don't think she is fair game. (Opinion, not handslap, OK?) She seems to exist in a hostile, incomprehensible and terrifying world, almost in isolation, which is sad. Does she have any friends? It doesn't seem like it. She is an unlikeable character: the question is, is she unlikeable because she has a genuinely unpleasant character or is she unlikeable because she gives off that 'I'm rabid and potentially dangerous' vibe, so you shy away from her like you would from a real mad dog.

Difficult. Do you call someone out on their views no matter what you think their mental status is, or do you make allowances? (Although the question is immaterial in her case as she has no comments allowed.)

Artemis, it's totally not handslappy at all! You put it in a way that made complete sense to me and made me think about it differently, and I thank you.

I'm not sure about the difference between mental health issues and basic errors. I am, as I've said, bipolar. And I would ALWAYS want to be corrected if I go wrong.

There are...well, it's complex. But hearing other people's point of view helps me correct errors. I can see where I've made the mistake, which is not always easy to instantly spot just from hearing myself.

Having said that, it may not work for everyone. I do not think it works for Kidist. It may be the case we shouldn't attempt it.

Palimpsest, I think that totally makes sense.

I agree with you that it's utterly wrong to go and confront Kidist. I fail to see what the point in this would be. She's not going to say "Oh yeah, I was mistaken! Thanks for clarifying"

However it may be interesting to see Kidist, which was what FJists were saying, I think. She's sorta a rightwing celeb "A BLACK PERSON WHO SIMULTANEOUSLY WISHES SHE WAS WHITE AND BELIEVES SHE IS! WE WON THE JACKPOT GUYZ". And considering on FJ we discuss the theological right (I haven't seen any discussions of liberation theology here) I don't think it's bad necessarily to discuss her thoughts as a reflection of wider right wing thinking.

She is, unfortunately, a tempting target. I think if we had consensus she was mentally ill feelings may change.

I'm glad I made sense that time. Thanks JFC! :D

Yes, Kidist is a very tempting target. I also don't see the point in confronting her. I doubt it would affect her thinking in any way.

Also, if my speculation is correct about her, sometime soon she is going to blow her top at work if she hasn't already. Conclusively. That will almost certainly end up with her being fired. Sorry, but reasonable accommodation won't cover her if she explodes in a racist rant at a customer in a clothing store!

I actually question whether she is currently employed at that store. It may have been a temporary job or long gone. Until the person chimed in here about having seen her *perform* in public, I wondered whether she was just wandering around Toronto muttering her rants to herself and imagining her personal confrontations and conversations with baby sitters waiters, road workers, security guards, etc.

I really don't see any problem with discussing her views in the context of extreme right wing racist views either. It is also, I forgot to say above, when the discussion goes in the direction of *Well, all Amharas think they are the elite* that I tend to get a bit stabby. Kidist is not really representative of the Amhara people, nor of most Ethiopians. She is in something of a category of her own!

And Artemis, I agree. I tend to think that mad dog may be the way Kidist comes across.

Now, she's posted a "poem" by Larry Auster.

Poem? Grocery list.

A Thanksgiving Poem

Limestone.

Granite.

Marble.

Iron and other metals.

Wood.

Wool.

Cotton.

Cows.

Pigs.

Fowl.

Fish.

Wheat.

Corn.

Potatoes.

Oranges.

Apples.

All kinds of fruits and vegetables.

Nuts.

The coffee plant.

Black tea.

Plants that can be fermented producing alcohol.

And then, her response. You know, because it's important that the world at large read her thank you note to some other guy on the internet for writing a poem in which he lists food, metal, wood and fibers with a period. after. each. one. It really makes a difference!

GAH.

*headdesk*

Now, she's posted a "poem" by Larry Auster.

Poem? Grocery list.

And then, her response. You know, because it's important that the world at large read her thank you note to some other guy on the internet for writing a poem in which he lists food, metal, wood and fibers with a period. after. each. one. It really makes a difference!

GAH.

*headdesk*

Ooh, can I play? I wrote a poem about the content and subject matter of freejinger!

Fundies.

Racists.

Bigots.

Homophobes.

The far right and other dodgy political positions.

Misogynists.

Creationists.

All kinds of improbable religious beliefs.

Child abuse.

Doug.

Phillips.

Is.

A.

Tool.

Trolls that can be fermented using nail polish.

So do I pick up my nobel prize for literature at the Hive Headquarters, or what? And do you think Kidist will quote me?

Except Larry never posted that as a poem, but as a list of things he's thankful for on thanksgiving.

She is so weird.

When I watch drunken elephants on Youtube I too am thankful for plants that can be fermented into alcohol (or in this case, self-ferment, talk about bootstrapping!).

Thanks for the insights into Kidist, everyone. She's definitely an interesting one, if a little hard to pity. Still, that life of hers sounds pretty miserable. Sad really.

This woman is utterly batshit crazy.

She is so off her rocker crazy that you sort of hope it's someone just yanking our chain.

Archived