IGNORED

Awkward Moment When a Creationist Gets Outwitted 11 year old

doggie

Snap. The Creationist's only defense was pointing out the age of the questioner over and over. How demeaning. If that were my kid, I'd have said something.

Shaking my head at the 2x2=4 example. No, math is not taught on the basis of revelation from authority.

I don't think the kid needed any help. He was doing fine on his own.

The guy had one argument the kid shot him down and all he could do was spin out of control. When you come to a debate with a pea shooter and it backfires you are pretty much done for.

That video is totally bizarre - the Creationist guy talking fluently and confidently - and nothing he said making any sense whatsoever. I really couldn't work out what his point was supposed to be most of the time - but he sure seemed convinced by it.

Hey, Eric!

2 smileys: :geek: :geek:

Count the smileys -- total: 4

Nobody needs a supreme being to see that.

Also, using math to illustrate your point might be a bad idea for you, Eric, since a seeming inability to figure out how much tax God wanted him to pay landed your father in jail.

I liked this, from the comments:

CHV6g.jpg

Hey, Eric!

Also, using math to illustrate your point might be a bad idea for you, Eric, since a seeming inability to figure out how much tax God wanted him to pay landed your father in jail.

CHV6g.jpg

I don't understand the image :oops: - is it satire?

I don't understand the image :oops: - is it satire?

It's just an illustration of the kind of "argument" Hovind presented -- starts out sounding like it might have meaning, then degrades into nonsense, but the speaker still declares himself the "winner."

Hey, Eric!

CHV6g.jpg

That does pretty much sound like most of the arguments that I've had with fundy acquaintances. Starts out sounding okay, and then quickly degenerates into something that makes no sense whatsoever.

I think that the fundie is saying that you can't know anything if you don't know everything? That doesn't even make sense. Maybe he is trying to poorly make the point that there has to be an ultimate power that explains what is true?

There is no proof for a higher power and it is senseless for fundies to pretend that there is. I've always respected religious people who admitted that they can not prove that there is a god. They believe because they wish to believe. Religion fulfills a need that they have. As long as they aren't trying to convert me, that is a good enough answer.

Does anybody have a transcript of the video?

I don't know if there is a transcript but I can tell you basically what was said. The child asks what proof there is for god and points out that saying you feel that there is a god might just be your mind talking to you.(the 11 year old was much more articulate)

The fundie rambles a bit. He seems to be saying that if you can't know everything than you don't know anything. He then says that if he never lied then you could accept that 2+2=4?(Question mark is because I'm not certain if that is what I heard)

The 11 says that he knows 2+2=4 because it is and that the man still hasn't offered proof for god's existence.

Does anybody have a transcript of the video?

get a thousand monkeys typing and you will get the gist of it. well the monkeys may make more sense.

That does pretty much sound like most of the arguments that I've had with fundy acquaintances. Starts out sounding okay, and then quickly degenerates into something that makes no sense whatsoever.

Dear Baby Jeebus, please make fundie pretzel logic STOP! How? Give them a fucking sign that it's okay to go to real schools and colleges, even Christian ones these morons deem too liberal. :roll:

Wow, Hovind really needs to read Bertrand Russell, though I fear he would stumble over the multi-syllable words.

This information may not be new to any of you, but I'll risk it. I recognized the guy's last name and wondered if he might be related to Kent Hovind who was a lecturer on Creationism for years. I grew up in a conservative Christian environment and remember watching one of his (Kent Hovind's) videos with a friend. But while we would never have questioned the absolute accuracy of the Bible at that point, we did agree he was crazy about some things. He was against basically anything government sanctioned - from marriage licenses to taxes. I just looked him up on Wikipedia and....

Since January 2007, Hovind has been serving a ten-year prison sentence after being convicted of 58 federal counts, including 12 tax offenses, one count of obstructing federal agents, and 45 counts of structuring cash transactions. He is incarcerated at the Federal Correctional Institution at Berlin, New Hampshire.

The whole Wikipedia article is pretty morbidly interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind

For instance:

However, Hovind's court room behavior was in stark contrast to phone calls he made while in jail and played by the prosecution.[169] The tapes, posted online by the Pensacola News Journal, included one conversation with Kent and his son, Eric Hovind, plotting to hide a motor vehicle title and property deeds to prevent the government from collecting the property to pay for owed debt.[170]

Oh, yeah, and he makes a point of calling himself Dr. Hovind, but his degrees are bogus and his "dissertation" was never completed and contained basic spelling errors. Many Creationist organizations repudiate any connection.

His 'paper' is online somewhere. I read it a while back and it's as funny as fuck. Trouble is it isn't meant to be funny. It starts with, "hello, my name is Kent Hovind". It's a real WTF. I'll try and find it again and post a link.

His 'paper' is online somewhere. I read it a while back and it's as funny as fuck. Trouble is it isn't meant to be funny. It starts with, "hello, my name is Kent Hovind". It's a real WTF. I'll try and find it again and post a link.

Here's a link to the Cliff's Notes version of the 'doctoral dissertation' (I am putting that in quotes because he got his pseudo-PhD from a diploma mill), as well as a critique, and a link to the actual paper as supplied by Wikileaks. And as an extra added bonus, there is a link to PZ Myers thoughts on the whole thing.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kent_Hovin ... ssertation

This information may not be new to any of you, but I'll risk it. I recognized the guy's last name and wondered if he might be related to Kent Hovind who was a lecturer on Creationism for years. I grew up in a conservative Christian environment and remember watching one of his (Kent Hovind's) videos with a friend. But while we would never have questioned the absolute accuracy of the Bible at that point, we did agree he was crazy about some things. He was against basically anything government sanctioned - from marriage licenses to taxes. I just looked him up on Wikipedia and....

Yep -- that's why I mentioned his possible math issues. :lol:

BTW, I love your user name, and appropriate avatar.

And I just finished watching the 1943 film version!

That was awesome. I hope I can have kids like that.

You should meet my son, 17 year old Master Sola. He's all kinds of awesome at fighting off religionistas on gaming forums. I plan on inviting him here when he turns 18, he's definitely his mother's son!

Archived