• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
MamaJunebug

Russell Brand and the WBC!

MamaJunebug

Not a fan of Russell Brand, but the video at http://www.towleroad.com/2012/11/brand.html

showed a little bit of ... brain? on his part.

He actually invited two members of the Westboro Baptist Church to his talk show. They presented him with a typical WBC protest sign, FAG PIMP BRAND, which Russell says that in England would simply mean he sells cigarettes. I was kinda hooked from there on in.

Didn't watch the whole thing, though, since it became a little repetitious.

Edited by OnceUponATime
adding tags

kpmom

"The holy spirit ain't got a pen." :lol:

I'm not a big Russel Brand fan either, but he did a good job here.

There's a big part of me though that hates seeing this tiny group keep getting publicity simply because they found a legal way to do something disgusting and outrageous. I imagine they eat it up that they've gotten such attention.

jaynie

I don't always like Russel Brand*, but I think he's smarter than he usually acts. He's written some pretty good articles on addiction as well, and one on the London riots that was pretty thoughtful.

Meanwhile, whether or not it's a good idea to give these loons publicity, it's REALLY satisfying to see them so cheerfully mocked. I guess it's like arguing with trolls. Some people think it's pointless, some people think it's hilarious, and some people think it provides insight to other people with similar views, even if the troll will always be a troll.

*his comedy, I mean.

Alecto

I am not a huge fan of his comedy style, but I have a lot of respect for his work in addiction issues and also with the homeless. Literally, this man goes out and takes at least one or more homeless people to breakfast almost every day.

I also respect that he chose his sobriety over his marriage. That's not an easy choice.

0KidsAndHappy

Brand is very intelligent, specifically when it comes to religion. I know he a comedian and his show is meant to be funny, but he really could have had a great debate to prove just how hypocritical they are. He could have done it comically, too ... Asking to see their clothing tags, finding out which foods they eat that would send them to hell. I never see anyone do anything like that in interviews with them.

JenniferJuniper
Brand is very intelligent, specifically when it comes to religion. I know he a comedian and his show is meant to be funny, but he really could have had a great debate to prove just how hypocritical they are. He could have done it comically, too ... Asking to see their clothing tags, finding out which foods they eat that would send them to hell. I never see anyone do anything like that in interviews with them.

I kept waiting for him to go there. He was far too kind to them.

I did lol over the hug he managed to wrangle out of the younger one though.

Kellbells

Long time lurker, first time poster. I too respect Russell's work with homelessness and addiction. I wish he could get more press for how smart and well spoken he can be with subjects like this, maybe we would see this side of him more often. I thought the body language was interesting. Maybe it's just me but it looked like they couldn't figure out whether to laugh or be pissed. It's funny until you realize that they really think those things are true.

Shea

Not a huge fan of Brand, but I liked this a lot more than the usual WBC interviews. It at least had some comic relief, although a more serious debate showcasing Brand's intelligence would have been nice too. I agree that giving them a lot of attention is a disservice, but I'm sure a lot of people (like me) find them fascinating to watch in a car-crash these-people-are-disgusting kind of way.

MamaJunebug

I honestly had no idea about Brand's work w/homeless nor that sobriety was a factor in his divorce from Perry.

Thanks for the info!

BravaAmica
I honestly had no idea about Brand's work w/homeless nor that sobriety was a factor in his divorce from Perry.

Thanks for the info!

I knew about his work with the homeless but not that his sobriety was threatened by his marriage to Perry. I'm glad he chose what was best for himself, even if it meant some emotional pain at the time.

debrand

Thank you for posting about this. I showed it to my kids and was impressed at how well Brand did. It seemed like the members of WBC didn't know how to take Brand.

Now I want a shirt that reads, "The Holy Spirit ain't got a pen."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Mood Updates

• 47of74
      47of74 is now feeling Giddy
    • Gobsmacked
      Gobsmacked is now feeling Meh
    • Screamapillar
      Screamapillar is now feeling Wine time!
    • 47of74
      47of74 is now feeling Giddy
    • JoyfulSel
      JoyfulSel is now feeling Giddy
  • Recent Status Updates

• mango_fandango

mango_fandango

Thought it was time to change my avatar to a guinea pig who was actually mine!! This is Fudge, the first piggie I ever had, and sadly the first one to die. She was very "talkative" and I haven't had one as talkative since. 
      · 0 replies
    • finnlassie

finnlassie

Gathered my courage and went to look at rings at the jeweller. "So, what's the situation, engagement, or...?" "NOPE, NEITHER, JUST LOOKIN, Iwannaseealltheprettyrings"
      · 0 replies
    • louisa05

louisa05

Sick rabbit. Our vet is out of town. Can't find a vet that treats rabbits to see him. 😓
      · 9 replies
    • PumaLover

PumaLover

Mr. Puma just surprised me with a much newer, much faster laptop! Now I can read more FJ! Yay! #besthubbyever LOL.
      · 1 reply
    • nst

nst

I start my new part time job today in a non profit company. 
      Not nervous because it's part time. 
      I am so glad I am no longer with the professor. 
      I just want to be a ray of light and service 
      · 2 replies
    • LittleOwl

LittleOwl

Apparently I am trying Bouldering on Saturday.  With the upper body strength of a flower, this can only end well... right? 
      · 4 replies
    • OyHiOh

OyHiOh

Went to a writer's group meeting yesterday.  First time I've gone to this group's meetings.  Different from other groups I've participated in - this one was a series of prompts and exercises.  I was in a bit of a mood going in - Father's Day weekend for a recent widow is no laugh matter; several social/annoying things happened at Shabbat service in the morning, and one of our service leaders made a "somebody really should" statement of the writing variety and once I hear someone say "someone really should" I usually can't unsee the idea until I've had a try at it.  We did a word association map for one exercise, then wrote something based on part or all of the word map.  I picked a section of the map that had some references to knives and fancy dress balls to write from.  I'm pretty proud of what I wrote in 15 minutes but it's pretty clear that I was in a "mood."

The night of the long knives came and went as a plague on the first born of the land.  Men perfectly healthy went to bed only to be jerked from sleep with knives against their throats.  Here were the leaders of men, thrust against walls at the point of a stiletto, there the young men only following their orders, and over there again the family men who didn't exactly plan to pursue this path but perfectly content where they'd found themselves.  At the end of a blade, deep in the depression years, taking their payslips home at the end of the week feeling they'd done a good job, and a little extra for mother in the kitchen. The years of children, church, and kitchen. The good women. Most of them not owning a fancy pair of shoes or a party dress, for who had time?  The children needed their mothers at home, the men away at work.
      The children of course, were not silent.  Soldiers burst into their homes, dragged their fathers out of bed.  Mothers clutching their husbands, children wailing for their papas. The ones who understood left quietly, reassuring the children on their way out - it's a special exercise, I couldn't know about it beforehand, otherwise I would have told you.  Hush child, I'll be home in a few days. They knew they'd be lucky to make it to the end of the block, of course, but let the children hope for a little bit longer, before all hope fell away and their eyes opened to the hatred their own fathers had taken part in.
      Others didn't understand, resisted and fought against the soldiers who came into their homes.  They'd believed in the banners and flags, they'd stood and cheered, they'd enjoyed seeing fear cross the faces of those who understood.  Now they themselves fought back in fear. Fear of losing their lives for who could possibly know what comes next? Wagner wrote of Valhalla, their wives faithfully attended church; surely there was something to greet them when the heart stopped quivering, trying to pump blood flowing onto floors, and truck beds, and sidewalks.  
      · 1 reply
    • Dreadcrumbs

Dreadcrumbs

I'm hooked on Duolingo. It's more helpful than I initially thought.
      · 0 replies
    • mollysmom

mollysmom

Almost lost my little dog Molly today  Thankfully she seems to be ok but the next 24 hours are crucial. My ex husband came home to find her blanket wrapped around her neck real tight and she was just laying on the floor. He got her untangled and the blanket had blood on it and she had pooped and peed (probably so scared while it was happening) She started coughing up blood and her one eye is all bulged out and bloody. He called me and I told him to get her to the nearest emergency vet and I would meet him there. They said she's really lucky to be alive. They said to keep a close eye on her breathing the next 24 hours but after that if she's ok she should be fine. They sent her home with eyedrops and an anti-inflammatory medicine for her little neck. I'm so happy that she is ok but man, my heart is broken just thinking about how terrified my poor little baby was! I really really hope dogs have short memories so she doesn't remember this but even thinking about how she was most likely struggling just breaks my heart. I know she's "just" a dog so this is probably silly to alot of people, I totally get that, but she is my baby. I never had children. Molly is my baby. Everytime I think about how she was probably feeling I just cry. But I'm so glad she's alive.
      · 10 replies
    • AliceInFundyland

AliceInFundyland

Ch. 3 Sneak Attack
      While in bed, two ants appear on my arm. Instead of approaching this logically, I spray the ant spray straight behind my nightstand.
      Unventilated.
      Immediately. Don't do that.
      · 3 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

• Popular Tags