IGNORED

I was denied birth control

BelieveinScience

I think it's important to figure out if they were really out of the birth control. If she's refusing based on moral grounds, but lying about it, that tells me that she's not supposed to do that. If company policy says she's allowed to refuse on moral grounds, then why is she lying and claiming that it's out of stock?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's important to figure out if they were really out of the birth control. If she's refusing based on moral grounds, but lying about it, that tells me that she's not supposed to do that. If company policy says she's allowed to refuse on moral grounds, then why is she lying and claiming that it's out of stock?

She never claimed it was out of stock. One of the claims she made was my prescription expired. Same claim she made with my migraine med. I can't find the package for my birth control but according to the bottle my migraine medication doesn't expire until 12/6/12.

I did send a letter into corporate. I don't like the idea of it going viral, news stations involved. I can not talk in public. If I had someone like experiencedd to talk I think it'd be okay but I'm not like that at all.

I understand. I'm super shy and introverted in person, but I love complaining in writing because I'm assertive and can be downright brutal there. I also wouldn't go to the media, though I might threaten it.

I don't want to push you into doing anything you're uncomfortable with but I do hope you'll file a complaint with the Maryland Board of Pharmacy, at the very least (I'll even help you write a complaint letter/fill out the complaint form if you need it) I think it's important for us to stand up to injustice, even if it makes us uncomfortable to do so, because the bottom line is that we can afford to be uncomfortable. You have the ability to transfer your perscription to another pharmacy, can afford to travel to each pharmacy if necessary to pick it up, and the know-how to stand up for your rights. The poor single mother of three who spent her last available cash on a bus ride to that pharmacy to pick up her birth control pills, who isn't able to transfer her perscription to another store, and who doesn't have the internet to find out how to make it known that her rights were violated- that's the person you should file these complaints for.

This will not end up on the news or going viral unless you make it that way. The pharmacy and various boards are probably eager to avoid this kind of scandal.

Just so you don't worry about it.

I am the same as Valsa. I love writing angry letters. I saved one I wrote because I liked it. lol I am not good in person or on the phone. I had to make a complaint call once and I wrote down everything I wanted to say beforehand so I didn't get flustered. I just told myself to stick to my script and not let whatever they tell me convince me to back down or anything. Anyway, I am really glad you send a letter to corporate and you should be proud of yourself for that! I agree with filing a complaint with the pharmacy board. Get a loudmouth friend to go with you to find out what her name is, if you can. We are definitely standing behind you. I like the suggestion of contacting NARAL as well, since they will have more experience and maybe they would have people who could help you or help represent you so you don't have to do as much of the speaking up parts that make you uncomfortable by yourself.

I am the same as Valsa. I love writing angry letters. I saved one I wrote because I liked it. lol I am not good in person or on the phone. I had to make a complaint call once and I wrote down everything I wanted to say beforehand so I didn't get flustered. I just told myself to stick to my script and not let whatever they tell me convince me to back down or anything. Anyway, I am really glad you send a letter to corporate and you should be proud of yourself for that! I agree with filing a complaint with the pharmacy board. Get a loudmouth friend to go with you to find out what her name is, if you can. We are definitely standing behind you. I like the suggestion of contacting NARAL as well, since they will have more experience and maybe they would have people who could help you or help represent you so you don't have to do as much of the speaking up parts that make you uncomfortable by yourself.

I do that too!

I had to complain about my mother being denied pain medication by our local low-income health clinic and wrote everything down. I wrote down how I was going to ask for the medical director of the clinic, how I was going to explain the situation to the medical director, what I expected to happen as a result of my call, and what action I was going to take if I didn't get the result I wanted. I even tried to anticipate the different ways they might try to dismiss and/or deflect my complaint and plan out what I would say to each of those.

I felt like I was in the Game of Thrones universe.

Go in with a witness* and ask her again. See if she refuses. If she does, get her name and report her again. If she doesn't, still get her name, and report to corporate that she refused you on your own, but not with a witness there who could have testified to her refusal.

*Don't make it clear they are a witness. Just have them hang around there.

It's not her business to make moral decisions for you.

This. And the letter. I wish I could come to Maryland and be assertive for you (because then I could also check the box for having sex with my guy, despite not being married).

So much this. If pharmacists are allowed to refuse to fill prescriptions because of their religious beliefs or moral objections, they should be required to say so. There should be a standardized statement they should have to recite when presented with a prescription, AND the pharmacy should have to display a sign stating that "[name] is exempt from filling prescriptions for BC or the 'morning after pill' due to moral/religious objections" WITH a photograph and the first and last name of anyone working there who had requested such an exemption. This "oh, that brand is out of stock right now" or whatever other bullshit they come up with is NOT taking a stand, it's just being a lying weasel.

(BTW, the ten commandments don't say anything about birth control, but I'm pretty sure there's something about lying in there.. right??)

This is disgusting. What are women who need to take the pill continuously due to medical conditions supposed to do?

I thought the bible passage that all this anti BC stems from was this one 'And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.'

I don't see any mention of 'His brothers wife shalt not use sponge of the sea when Onan goes 'in unto' ;) to receive not seed.

You could just take both prescriptions - you have the bottle for at least one of them- to another pharmacy and they would transfer the prescriptions. You would have the meds you need and could still write your letters.

I would write the letters to the local manager and the corporate offices of this chain pharmacy.

the pharmacy should have to display a sign stating that "[name] is exempt from filling prescriptions for BC or the 'morning after pill' due to moral/religious objections" WITH a photograph and the first and last name of anyone working there who had requested such an exemption.

Actually, I'd like to amend this to read "[name] is exempt from filling [specific list of prescriptions] due to moral/religious objections" (not a full list of brand names or whatever, but a list of the specific types of prescriptions, e.g. hormonal contraceptives) to prevent them suddenly deciding to refuse, for example, BelieveinScience's migraine prescription. And they should not be allowed to refuse any prescription unless they have asked for this exemption in advance. They want to take a stand, fine- make 'em own it. Truth in labeling. As a consumer, I should be able to walk into a pharmacy and know whether I am going to be able to get my prescription filled without judgement or have the choice to take my business elsewhere.

Actually, I'd like to amend this to read "[name] is exempt from filling [specific list of prescriptions] due to moral/religious objections" (not a full list of brand names or whatever, but a list of the specific types of prescriptions, e.g. hormonal contraceptives) to prevent them suddenly deciding to refuse, for example, BelieveinScience's migraine prescription. And they should not be allowed to refuse any prescription unless they have asked for this exemption in advance. They want to take a stand, fine- make 'em own it. Truth in labeling. As a consumer, I should be able to walk into a pharmacy and know whether I am going to be able to get my prescription filled without judgement or have the choice to take my business elsewhere.

I like this idea very much. Also, I would like their schedule to be made publicly available so that a person could schedule their shopping around this person.

BIS, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and that you are now suffering. It shouldn't have happened. You have received some excellent advice, and I hope the pharmacist and pharmacy are held accountable for this. I'm sending good thoughts you're way.

IF (and it is a big if) they were legitimately out of the brand of BC you needed, it shouldn't be too much of an issue for them to locate some for you. There have been times that I have come in with less common prescriptions and have been told that they do not carry it but that they can either A) Order it for me and have it within 48 hours for me to pick up OR B) Call around FOR me to find a place that carries it. That is called customer service! Honestly, i think she was just being a judgy bitch and i applaud you for speaking up!!!

^I agree. There used to be a chemist in my suburb which never seemed to have stock of anything that was slightly uncommon. But the pharmacist would usually fill the prescription by the next day.

IMO there are only a few BC pills that the majority of people take. Being out of them is like being out of Prozac , Valium or Zoloft.

If this is a major chain like CVS, just go to another branch and get your pain meds and probably your birth control as well. The major chains usually keep your perscriptions on file in their computer system, so call in your refill to another store and go pick it up. If you still have the piece of paper, just go to another pharmacy and get your pain meds. Call your doctor, have the birth control perscription transferred to another pharmacy and go pick it up. I understand why you are upset, and you should write a letter, but why on earth are you still going to a pharmacy that repeatedly gives you poor service?

IF (and it is a big if) they were legitimately out of the brand of BC you needed, it shouldn't be too much of an issue for them to locate some for you. There have been times that I have come in with less common prescriptions and have been told that they do not carry it but that they can either A) Order it for me and have it within 48 hours for me to pick up OR B) Call around FOR me to find a place that carries it. That is called customer service! Honestly, i think she was just being a judgy bitch and i applaud you for speaking up!!!

QFT.

If the pharmacist was not willing to do either of these things, that should be noted in the complaint letter as well. Not only does it make the "out of stock" line sound suspicious, but it would also indicate bad customer service in the event that it was actually true.

I highly doubt that its legal for her to refuse to refill your floricet. There is no ethical/ religious reason to opt out of refilling pain medicine. I would talk to the manager. Let them know whats going on. If the manager wont do anything then I would talk to the store mananger and switch pharmacies. Let the store manager know your reasons for switching.

Fioricet can be, and is, abused--and it can be addictive. If your pharmacist hates you and is unethical, she can claim that she thought you were taking it unsafely/selling it/whatever which is a legal reason to refuse to fill. A friend of mine prescribes me my Fioricet and he always tells me to call him directly if the pharmacy refuses to fill it (I usually go through a bottle of 90 a month, so it's a lot). Maybe you can have your doctor's office call?

If this is a major chain like CVS, just go to another branch and get your pain meds and probably your birth control as well. The major chains usually keep your perscriptions on file in their computer system, so call in your refill to another store and go pick it up. If you still have the piece of paper, just go to another pharmacy and get your pain meds. Call your doctor, have the birth control perscription transferred to another pharmacy and go pick it up. I understand why you are upset, and you should write a letter, but why on earth are you still going to a pharmacy that repeatedly gives you poor service?

If its a locally-owned pharmacy, it might be the only one in town and its bullshit to make anyone go several miles out of their way just for treatment. I have no clue where BelieveInScience lives other than Maryland, but if she's in a small town she doesn't have nearly as many options as city people do. I really wish people would stop assuming small town residents have the same access to things as city residents do.

But if it is a chain pharmacy, it can be a major pain in the ass to transfer prescriptions to a new branch. I've moved sevetal times in the last two years thanks to college, and eventually I just started stocking up on BC before winter and summer breaks.

If its a locally-owned pharmacy, it might be the only one in town and its bullshit to make anyone go several miles out of their way just for treatment. I have no clue where BelieveInScience lives other than Maryland, but if she's in a small town she doesn't have nearly as many options as city people do. I really wish people would stop assuming small town residents have the same access to things as city residents do.

But if it is a chain pharmacy, it can be a major pain in the ass to transfer prescriptions to a new branch. I've moved sevetal times in the last two years thanks to college, and eventually I just started stocking up on BC before winter and summer breaks.

If she's considering going up the ladder and complaining to corporate, it's proooobably a chain. ;) Small towns in the North are nothing like small towns in the South, in my experience; no matter where you are in Maryland, either DC or Baltimore is always a stone's throw away. I lived in a tiny town in Maryland, but I could still drive to another town to get whatever; when I lived in the mountains of NC, driving to another town for something could be a whole day event.

That being said, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Internet pharmacies like Walgreens online. No pharmacist involved, plus you get everything delivered to your front door!

She never claimed it was out of stock. One of the claims she made was my prescription expired. Same claim she made with my migraine med. I can't find the package for my birth control but according to the bottle my migraine medication doesn't expire until 12/6/12.

In college I worked in pharmacy. This particular pharmacist sounds like a gem. (*snort*) If she's claiming that your prescriptions have expired you can't trust the bottles or the information that the pharmacy has in the computer automatically anymore; there is the possibility that she could either be altering it (she could be either doing this on purpose, or someone could have accidently entered refill information as 1 refill instead of 12, for example.) Pharmacies usually also have a "notes" section where additional information about patients may be entered. If a pharmacist suspects that a patient is "drug-seeking" and enters that into the computer; it pretty much guarantees that a patient going into any store within that chain will have some issues with the pharmacy helping them to get refills on pain meds. Complaints from patients with these labels are also generally ignored. I've known pharmacists who have applied various types of labels to patients in the computer systems to cover their own asses, and the sad thing is that most of the time it has worked. Good pharmacists are like gold; but the rotten ones can screw you over big time. Do you keep copies of your prescriptions and compare things like the number of refills when you get the bottles?

Are you willing to name and shame the pharmacy?

Also re: expired. I believe that controlled drug prescriptions are good for 6 months after they are written, and everything else is one year, so her excuse is utter BS.

Are you willing to name and shame the pharmacy?

Also re: expired. I believe that controlled drug prescriptions are good for 6 months after they are written, and everything else is one year, so her excuse is utter BS.

Let me put it this way.... I moved from the West Coast (W = first letter!) and the pharmacy is all over the country! Now I live on the eaSt Side of the county.... (S = last letter) :D

Let me put it this way.... I moved from the West Coast (W = first letter!) and the pharmacy is all over the country! Now I live on the eaSt Side of the county.... (S = last letter) :D

Hey I used to work for that same chain :) . I actually worked with a pharmacist who would not dispense the morning-after pill. She was fine with birth control pills though (she was a bit of a hypocritical Catholic who took b.c. but still believed the morning after pill could cause an abortion). Our location didn't even stock the morning-after pill, not because of her but because we rarely recieved scripts for it and it would most likely expire before being dispensed. She would at least call around to other locations (even other pharmacies if needed) to see if they had it and would transfer the prescription over the phone so it would be ready when the patient arrived. We generally did that with anything we did not have in stock unless the patient was ok with waiting a few days. What this pharmacist did to you BIS was inexcusable. If your medication was truly out of stock, she should have checked other locations for you and transferred it to a location that had it in stock. I would definitely complain. I hope you find a pharmacy that treats you better and that this woman recieves some sort of disciplinary action.

Archived