IGNORED

Need Netflix suggestions -- what should I see/watch?

Mela99

What good movies/tv shows/documentaries are out there that I should see? I feel like I am in a netflix rut.

Feel free to throw in indie stuff, lesser known. I'll watch pretty much anything if it is good.

Arrested Development, Psych and Futurama are the only TV shows my husband & I both agree on

Star Trek: TNG is there ( and some others, but Picard will always be my captain)

Thor & Captain America are both good

Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel & Charmed

Merlin

Nat Geo's Appalachian trail

Hmm, I look forward to see other suggestions !

Looking at my top rated items that not everyone will have heard of:

* I love Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations and Andrew Zimmerman's Bizarre Foods.

* If you liked movies like Scream or Cabin in the Woods (horror deconstruction), there's Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

* Similar in that's it a horror deconstruction, but playing it even more for laughs is Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

* Carnivale, an older HBO show, was very good, and often compared to Twin Peaks, only with a more consistent mythology.

* Cold Comfort Farm is great if you like British humour and classical literature.

* What's Up, Doc? is a great 70's movie paying homage to the screwball comedies.

* If you like anime, Darker Than Black is, well, dark, but very good.

* Everybody's Famous is not going to be everybody's taste, but I loved it, as did my family.

* If you like Tim Burton, The City of Lost Children has some of that same surreal, dream-like atmosphere.

* Also if you like Tim Burton, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari -- see where he gets all his ideas!

* Neverwhere is a British mini-series written by Neil Gaiman.

* The Education of Shelby Knox was a documentary look at youth activism and a Texas girl's rising liberal tendencies.

* The Infidel is a comedy about a Muslim man who finds out he was adopted and his birth parents were Jewish at the same time that his son's fiance acquires an almost extremist conservative step-father.

* Lo is the story of a man who summons a demon to try and get back his girlfriend, who's been kidnapped by Hell.

* I loved Girlhood, a documentary following two girls in the juvie system.

I love Arrested Development, Futurama (don't forget the movies that go after season 4, which are listed separately), How I Met Your Mother, Firefly, Louie.

One show I never thought I'd like and was not interested in one bit, but ended up liking, is The League. It's pretty raunchy sometimes, and all the characters are unlikable, but for some reason it makes me laugh.

If you like science there are tons of great shows. Some that we've liked are NOVA Science Now: How the Brain Works, Into the Universe, NOVA: Making Stuff, Discovery Atlas: Uncovering Earth. The How Stuff Works series is also pretty interesting.

I thought Mary and Max was a nice animated movie for adults. A couple docs I haven't watched yet but are in my instant queue are Selling God and For the Bible Tells Me So.

If you like quirky, try the BBC's Doc Martin.

If you like lawyers, there is Damages. Glenn Close is great in it.

Death at a Funeral - the British version. Somewhat slapstick, totally hilarious. The US remake is crap.

Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz - Both star Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Darkly humorous, but I'd only recommend them if you have a somewhat strong stomach. There are definitely some humorously gruesome moments

Idiocracy starring Luke Wilson. I'm surprised how many of my friends have missed this comedic gem about a future where pretty much everybody is rather ignorant and uneducated.

As for TV shows - Community, Arrested Development, Parks & Recreation, Undeclared, and of course, Freaks & Geeks. In case you can't tell I'm partial too smart, quirky comedies. :)

I love Arrested Development, Futurama (don't forget the movies that go after season 4, which are listed separately), How I Met Your Mother, Firefly, Louie.

One show I never thought I'd like and was not interested in one bit, but ended up liking, is The League. It's pretty raunchy sometimes, and all the characters are unlikable, but for some reason it makes me laugh.

If you like science there are tons of great shows. Some that we've liked are NOVA Science Now: How the Brain Works, Into the Universe, NOVA: Making Stuff, Discovery Atlas: Uncovering Earth. The How Stuff Works series is also pretty interesting.

I thought Mary and Max was a nice animated movie for adults. A couple docs I haven't watched yet but are in my instant queue are Selling God and For the Bible Tells Me So.

The League is hilarious. I watched it before I ever watched an entire football game. The jokes are hilarious regardless. The little girl is Dave Foley's daughter. Now I play fantasy football, because it's way more fun than watching football. :)

Is Carnivale on streaming Netflix?????

Friday Night Lights is a wonderful show.

I have recently become completely obsessed with Sons of Anarchy, too. The first 4 seasons are on streaming Netflix, and OMG.

I haven't seen Carnivale available...in fact I don't think there are any HBO shows available.

Oh god, The League is AMAZING.

Right now I'm working my way through 30 Rock and BBQ Pitmasters (reality competition show). Oh, and Rules of Engagement, which I have no love to watch when it's really on TV, but on Netflix, why not?

The BBC SHerlock series. 6 episodes of awesome with Benedict Cumberpatch (his real name)

He was hot when he was younger too, and a talented comedic actor in 'Forty Something' with Hugh Laurie.

The League is hilarious. I watched it before I ever watched an entire football game. The jokes are hilarious regardless. The little girl is Dave Foley's daughter. Now I play fantasy football, because it's way more fun than watching football. :)

Yeah, I hate football in any form-that's why I never thought I'd like it. Very surprising.

He was hot when he was younger too, and a talented comedic actor in 'Forty Something' with Hugh Laurie.

I cannot wait until Season 3!!!!

BTW, Downton Abbey is on Netflix. To add to the British theme try MI-5, Doctor Who, and Torchwood.

Firefly, Numb3rs, and Lie to Me ~ three series that I watched through on Netflix and LOVED. (I'm often apprehensive about etching something new - these, I'm glad I tried them)

ETA: Thank you Experiencedd for suggesting FortySomething. I put it on my Disc queue on Netflix!!!!

Have you caught the unaired 60 minute pilot? Its a similar plot to the first aired 90 minute episode but they changed quite a few things around when they re-shot it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpa6do_sherlock-s01x00-unaired-pilot_shortfilmsSadly, it will be fall 2013 until new episodes are available. The story is that they are so involved with other projects and put as much effort into every 90 minute EP as people would into a feature film that it just takes time. Those Brits with their quality over quantity!!! :-)

Can I also suggest Lark Rise to Candelford to anyone who wants a period piece featuring a strong female lead.

Guest Anonymous
The BBC SHerlock series. 6 episodes of awesome with Benedict Cumberpatch (his real name)

That isn't his real name. His name is Benedict Cumberbatch.

Spaced british comedy. Black Books another british comedy (and utterly,completsly brillant.) Being Human UK. The Murdoch Mysteries ,a canadian steam punky show set in turn of the century Toronto. Strong female characters. I love Justified too. And Arrested Development.

Watch the documentary 'Selling God'. It was made in 2009 and features none other than Rick Santorum.. Wonder what Joshie Poo would say about the things ol' Rick has to say?

The documentary "First Position," which is available on Watch Instantly, which follows several young ballet dancers as they compete at the Youth America Grand Prix. There's some criticism that it's too "rah-rah"ish and doesn't show the negative side of these types of competitions, but I still found it fascinating. I tend to like "peeks" into niche communities, especially ones that involve young prodigies.

Not sure which of these are on Netflix, but here goes:

TV shows - mostly sci fi or comedy, a couple of dramas

No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (HBO, only one season, based on a series of books)

Firefly

Babylon 5

Farscape

Numb3rs (or however it's spelled)

Psych

Monk

(most any of USA Network's original series lately are good, actually)

TBS has a new hour comedy called Wedding Band that's pretty good so far

All of the Stargates (although Universe was iffy at times, and needed a better light bulb budget)

X-Files, but feel free to skip the post-Mulder seasons

Northern Exposure, but again, you can skip the post-Fleischman episodes (except for the finale) IMO

Canadian/British TV:

Da Vinci's Inquest

Corner Gas

Flashpoint

Due South

Jeeves & Wooster

Blackadder

Ballykissangel

Monarch of the Glen

Merlin

Foyle's War

Movies: lately I'm on a Marvel Comics kick, thanks to Avengers - Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America, Thor, etc. Also just got both of the Robert Downey Sherlock Holmes movies in the Black Friday sales, and of course Pixar's movies. And if you've got three-hour chunks of time and like fantasy, I think the Lord of the Rings movies are top of the line.

That's a start. My DVD shelf is downstairs, or I could come up with more, I know.

Archived