IGNORED

"I'd bomb all the muslims so they'd believe in Jesus!"

Trynn

I got super upset at bible study last night. For a multitude of reasons, actually, but this one tops it. At the beginning of bible study sometimes we have discussion questions. Last night's was, "If you knew that the world was going to end in 6 months, name 2 serious things you would do and one non serious thing." Most of the answers were fairly normal; go out and do a bunch of wild things, travel the world, go to New Zealand, swim with dolphins (ok, that one was mine.)

And then one of the girls goes, "I'd bomb (I didn't quite catch the name of the country she mentioned) so that all the Muslims would no longer believe in Allah (did I spell that right?) and then they'd all believe in Jesus and become Christians."

Me: sputters

Other girl: I'm not sure that that could actually happen.....

Me: *struggling to come up with words* I don't think believing in Jesus would be quite the reaction to being bombed by a bunch of Christians...

Other Girl: Well hey, it's the end of the world, go for it.

Most other girls (we just happened to be a group of all girls, it was a co-ed bible study) seemed to be in agreement.

As you can see, sometimes I struggle to put concepts into words.

These are girls that I have always thought of as really cool, very caring, very sincere individuals. I therefore am confused as to how they can think this way. Aside from the logic being unbiblical, it's not even logical.

And then the speaker talked about how he went to Europe and started asking people about God and Jesus and the bible and almost everyone he talked to had NEVER HEARD ABOUT EITHER ONE!!!!1!!!!1!!!!!1! And, personally, I find that hard to believe, but, I've never been to Europe... but I still can't quite swallow that one.

I don't know. I guess I'm just... disillusioned? And more than a little upset.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

That's disgusting, but I don't expect anything less from Americans.

Your entire nation seems to be hell-bent on destroying everything in the ME, except the apartheid state of ``Israel``. And it's not just the fundies who think like this, it's (imo) 95% of you since most of you still support the fantasy of a ``war on terror``.

I've been to Europe, and while I didn't ask anyone about their religious beliefs, the whole continent is crawling with churches and cathedrals. Christian and catholic churches and cathedrals. I'm pretty sure most Europeans have heard of those concepts.

Your entire nation seems to be hell-bent on destroying everything in the ME, except the apartheid state of ``Israel``. And it's not just the fundies who think like this, it's (imo) 95% of you since most of you still support the fantasy of a ``war on terror``.

What is with you lately? As the movie quote goes; "Whats your damage, Heather?"

Your posts have been erratically aggressive and you seem to be craving some form of response or reaction.

So, I'm just not even going to touch on the hypocrisy of what you said, and tell you to either deal with your issues, or STFU!

ESAD/DIAF.

Guest Anonymous

Your posts have been erratically aggressive and you seem to be craving some form of response or reaction.

So, I'm just not even going to touch on the hypocrisy of what you said, and tell you to either deal with your issues, or STFU!

ESAD/DIAF.

>>I'm just posting my opinion.

>>I haven't been aggressive, I've been very nice. It's some of you that have been calling me names :( and acting aggressive.

So, I'm just not even going to touch on the hypocrisy of what you said

>>Please touch on it. I'm interested in knowing how I'm a hypocrite.

Those women were being utterly ridiculous, and disgusting. I would be choosing a new Bible study to attend.

Agree I can't/can believe someone would say something like that.

The ironic part is: Muslims do believe in Jesus.

Sounds like these people need to learn more about other religions.

I bet they'd be surprised to learn that their god and Allah are, in fact, the same god. The differences between Islam, Judaism and Christianity really comes down to who they believe the savoir is (please correct me if I'm wrong).

More like 40-50% of us, the numbers aren't quite in yet. See the recent posts re: the last election.

Yep, I've heard this sentiment (and others like it) numerous times. Generally from fearful overcompensating uneducated older gents, but I can see their offspring repeating this. I always follow it up by asking how, exactly, that would work. Usually the response I get is, "Y'know, like the Crusades" which is odd since I'm pretty sure the Crusades didn't really result in a ton of heartfelt conversion stories.

These are the same people who believe Ameriker is at war with Islam after the terrorist attacks. I don't understand how people of faith A can bomb people of faith B and result in conversion. Were there a lot of American conversions from Christian to Islam in the spring of 2002? No, but somehow, in an alternate reality "it would just work".

Please carefully consider the vibe of the Bible study before your next meeting. Is this a group you can trust to grow together in faith? Is there another alternative?

Did you ever go back to the other thread and explain if your answer to the healthcare problem in America was that everyone would suddenly by magic be nice if there was no government? Because you kind of left that thread hanging. You criticized with only giving vague, not based in reality solutions to the problem.

I resent this. Not all Americans think this way. And actually, a lot of Americans are beginning to become disillusioned with the war on terror, especially college students, at least, from what I've seen. It's just that so far the demographic of those who don't agree with the war on terror is a little too young to do much about it.

Please carefully consider the vibe of the Bible study before your next meeting. Is this a group you can trust to grow together in faith? Is there another alternative?

I usually do go to two bible studies: a Seventh Day Adventist one, and a non denominational one., this comes from the non denominational one. ... this is really the first time any of them has said anything offensive. In over a year. I've disagreed with the theology before, but they've always been careful to respect everyone, at least, before. I don't know what I'll do for sure, but you can bet that if I hear much more of this, I will stop going.

If you bombed them, wouldn't they be dead and thus unable to change their belief system?

If you bombed them, wouldn't they be dead and thus unable to change their belief system?

That's what I was wondering. Maybe she's thinking that all the Muslims will be gone and they can just repopulate with Christians?

Unless you have in mind something like LDS posthumous baptisms. But yeah, in most cases, the only conversion happening during a bombing is from alive to dead.

in most cases, the only conversion happening during a bombing is from alive to dead.

I think the only other conversion you'd get from bombing anyone is the conversion from normal person to violent fanatic out to avenge death of their family. That would be my response anyway if a Christian bombed me.

Yep, I've heard this sentiment (and others like it) numerous times. Generally from fearful overcompensating uneducated older gents, but I can see their offspring repeating this. I always follow it up by asking how, exactly, that would work. Usually the response I get is, "Y'know, like the Crusades" which is odd since I'm pretty sure the Crusades didn't really result in a ton of heartfelt conversion stories.

What's the saying about ignorant of history = doomed to repeat it?

And then the speaker talked about how he went to Europe and started asking people about God and Jesus and the bible and almost everyone he talked to had NEVER HEARD ABOUT EITHER ONE!!!!1!!!!1!!!!!1! And, personally, I find that hard to believe, but, I've never been to Europe... but I still can't quite swallow that one.

I'm European and I promise you that whoever told you that is mad OR lying OR they visited communist Albania and only communist Albania. Or I suppose just possibly everyone they talked to thought that answer was the quickest way of getting rid of scary religious nutcase.

I've found that the more excited someone is about the 'end times' the less compassionate that they are. This might be because in the evangelical Christian scenario people are going to be thrown into eternal torture for taking a mark that allows them to buy food to feed their kids. You have to be pretty cold blooded to think that this is proper punishment for a desperate parent. I've known people to get pretty darn excited about the suffering of all those nonChristians.

Well that's scary as shit. Here's hoping you aren't planning to go back.

*side note*

The Bible has very violent themes, and "God" was often behind the bloodshed (this included ordering the deaths of innocent women and children) so it always kind of surprises me when someone goes all :o when it's pointed out that the roots of this Christianity are based on violence. The concept of hell alone could tell you that even if you tossed out the rest of the book.

Usually the response I get is, "Y'know, like the Crusades" which is odd since I'm pretty sure the Crusades didn't really result in a ton of heartfelt conversion stories.

Yes, let me see, the Crusades: ultimately, after six (or was it seven?) crusades, the Christians lost.

Like you I'm a relatively new poster to FJ and I live outside America but that's where our similarities end.

Why make the sweeping claim that 95% of Americans support the war on terror? You've been around here longer than I have yet I know if you make sweeping generalisations or claims without backing them up you'll be called on it. That is ... ahem ... fundamental to FJ.

Guest Anonymous

Did you ever go back to the other thread and explain if your answer to the healthcare problem in America was that everyone would suddenly by magic be nice if there was no government? Because you kind of left that thread hanging. You criticized with only giving vague, not based in reality solutions to the problem.

I'll go there now.

Guest Anonymous

Why is Israel in quotes here? (Well, they aren't quotes, but you know what I mean). If anything, 'apartheid state' should be in quotes because the comparison between Israel and South African apartheid is opinion. Are you actually doubting that Israel exists?

Regarding the original topic, it makes absolutely no sense to bomb people if you think the world is going to end. If you were religious, and your religion specifically told you not to kill people, and you knew you were about to be judged, then killing people is absolutely the last thing you would ever do.

I would have replied, 'How the heck do you think bombing anyone would convince them their religion is wrong and the people who bombed them were right? Were you convinced to convert to Islam because some radicals Muslims flew a plane into the trade towers?".

Interestingly enough, I did meet a conservative Christian (son of a pastor, no less!) who told me that sometimes he feels like throwing a nuclear bomb into Muslim countries (he didn't specify which one). He said he's aware we would never do it but he sometimes feel like that would solve our problem.

His fellow compatriot, a devout Catholic, while also in agreement that Islam is a Bad Religion feels all Muslims just need to be taught how to be good Christians and learn that "thou shalt not kill" is a commandment and that would be the end of radical Islam. Glad to know that complex issues fueled by endemic poverty, corrupt governments and decades of stagnation can be resolved through bombings and the Bible. Having just suffered through four hours of classes, I didn't feel like telling them off so I just ignored most of that conversation. Maybe I should have said something. Even though we were on a college campus, it seemed like religious bigotry was still accepted. Then again, neither guy thought I would be Muslim (being Chinese) and an uncovered female so they probably felt comfortable saying this to me. I wonder what people say about China outside of my hearing.....

Archived