IGNORED

What Does This T-Shirt Mean?

debrand

I found this on a site run by two Christian, young men. It is probably something obvious against gay marriage but I just don't get the meaning.

63dcc93fd02cf1df1cdff04c05d24027_large.jpg?1345077097

kickstarter.com/projects/lukesmith/bold-threadz

It's a reference to the idea that the two become one entity in marriage - there are references to husband and wife becoming one in God's eyes in both Hebrew and Christian scriptures.

Probably is supposed to mean man + woman = relationship, or maybe man + woman = family.

What it really says is those "defending marriage" suck at math.

Guest Anonymous

One man and one woman make one marriage? One man and one woman 'become one flesh'?

It's so difficult to decipher. It pretty much fails at the one thing that slogan t-shirts are supposed to do.

It's the belief that when you get married you're 'one' with your spouse... that part I get. I suppose the picture is just their super condescending/patronizing way of making a stand against gay marriage, since the stick figures are clearly one male and one female.

So much for being fruitful and multiplying. These morons can't even master addition.

Even before I turned into a godless heathen, I never liked the idea of people "being two halves of a whole" or "completing each other" in a romantic relationship.

But anyway, I believe it's an anti-gay shirt implying only one man and one woman can complete one holy union of matrimony, as defined by the Christian god.

ETA: This is the part of the Bible they get this from: Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. So they are no longer two but one flesh.

It's a reference to the idea that the two become one entity in marriage - there are references to husband and wife becoming one in God's eyes in both Hebrew and Christian scriptures.

Doh! I should have known. However, I think that the shirt will only make people believe that the company can't add. :lol:

Also, I thought the phrase becoming one flesh implied sexual intercourse. Or maybe that is where my dirty mind always went when I was religious :shifty:

Seems to fail at design, cleverness and kerning. Maybe logic, too.

All their shirts are like that. And I don't know why they don't just start a Zazzle or Cafe Press shop. Then they wouldn't need a kickstarter for inventory.

All their shirts are like that. And I don't know why they don't just start a Zazzle or Cafe Press shop. Then they wouldn't need a kickstarter for inventory.

They are speshul snowflakes and need their own store, because they are their own bosses. Can't be giving money to heathens! And is it just me, or are those shapes and fonts just standard windows/photoshop stuff? How sad.

I don't think it's about gay marriage. I think it is just saying that when a man and a woman get married they become one (according to their beliefs) so 1+1=1 not 1+1=2. Just trying to be clever, I guess.

Guest Anonymous

They are just not good at this. These are some of their other slogans:

'Don't follow your heart'

'FAITH own it. don't borrow from dad.'

ETA: This is also on the page (prepare to roll your eyes):

We have both set out on a mission to combine both of our God-given abilities to design, print and sell t-shirt designs that will motivate people to think Biblically about life, using the power of God’s wisdom to communicate.

well since the woman is submissive and less should it not be 1+ 1/2+ 1/2= 2 since the ego of the man inflates him at least 1/2 and the wife is only 1/2

I don't think it's about gay marriage. I think it is just saying that when a man and a woman get married they become one (according to their beliefs) so 1+1=1 not 1+1=2. Just trying to be clever, I guess.

This is exactly how I understood it.

I thought it was weird the kickstarter video they weren't wearing their own shirts. Surely they could cough up to buy a prototype to model in the video.

I don't get it. Ok, so marriage is two people becoming one. Why can't two people of the same gender become one when they get married?

I don't get it. Ok, so marriage is two people becoming one. Why can't two people of the same gender become one when they get married?

No reason why they can't. It would be pretty interesting to see if that verse was used in reference to gay marriage. I used to go to a gay church (MCC church), but I don't remember the verse being mentioned even though they held plenty of commitment ceremonies (this was long before gay marriage was legally recognized anywhere.)

But what about the "last time I checked" part? That seems to be referring to gay marriage in that last time they checked a man and women made a marriage or something stupid like that. With Isaac Botkin and Peter Bradrick as backers it being against gay marriage makes the most sense.

I first thought of the man and woman becoming one flesh thing. In that they're saying in a same sex relationship, there can't be the whole penis goes into vagina and makes babies thing, which does not compute for these people.

Whatever it really means, it's stupid.

But what about the "last time I checked" part? That seems to be referring to gay marriage in that last time they checked a man and women made a marriage or something stupid like that. With Isaac Botkin and Peter Bradrick as backers it being against gay marriage makes the most sense.

I first thought of the man and woman becoming one flesh thing. In that they're saying in a same sex relationship, there can't be the whole penis goes into vagina and makes babies thing, which does not compute for these people.

Whatever it really means, it's stupid.

They must have checked a very long time ago, then.

We have both set out on a mission to combine both of our God-given abilities to design, print and sell t-shirt designs that will motivate people to think Biblically about life, using the power of God’s wisdom to communicate.

Too bad this mission from God won't include a kickass car chase.

I found this on a site run by two Christian, young men. It is probably something obvious against gay marriage but I just don't get the meaning.

63dcc93fd02cf1df1cdff04c05d24027_large.jpg?1345077097

kickstarter.com/projects/lukesmith/bold-threadz

It means that SOTDRT isn't so great for learning math.

Archived