IGNORED

Miscarrying woman denied an abortion, dies (Ireland) MERGED

ceg045

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is heartless.

Although I have to ask if the sac was leaking fluid why couldn't they at least start antibiotics if they wouldn't remove the fetus?

I will never understand this. Ever. The bible exhorts us to preserve life. I hope this stupid bastard never practices medicine again.

Beyond fucked up. Its enraging how a 31 year old woman is less important than a dying fetus.

Get that Jericho? Be careful what you wish for.

Beyond fucked up. Its enraging how a 31 year old woman is less important than a dying fetus.

Get that Jericho? Be careful what you wish for.

Can't agree with you more!! It seems odd to me that people care more about an unborn fetus then they do for human life. Couldn't the hospital see that she was in danger?

Can't agree with you more!! It seems odd to me that people care more about an unborn fetus then they do for human life. Couldn't the hospital see that she was in danger?

I am sure they could, but it was not "life threatening". Until it was. And then it was too late.

Abortion is allowed to save the life of the mother in Ireland, but there was no indication that this was a life-threatening issue until the woman was very ill. This is the America that the GOP wants for us.

I am sure they could, but it was not "life threatening". Until it was. And then it was too late.

Abortion is allowed to save the life of the mother in Ireland, but there was no indication that this was a life-threatening issue until the woman was very ill. This is the America that the GOP wants for us.

I don't recall that being the law when I lived there. I remember a few cases of ectopic pregnancies allowed to rupture the tube before the mother was allowed to get any kind of surgery, because to do otherwise was an abortion in the eyes of the law.

Situations like the ones listed in the article weighed heavily in my decision to move back to the US. I was getting married and did not want to be pregnant in a country that would let me die if something happened to the fetus. Granted, it's no longer illegal for a woman (from Ireland) to travel abroad for an abortion. But what if I didn't have that kind of time? Pre-eclampsia, placental abruption... anything can happen. Despite that no one attends church anymore, the Catholic church has a huge hold on the psyche and laws of that country. It's heart breaking.

I don't recall that being the law when I lived there. I remember a few cases of ectopic pregnancies allowed to rupture the tube before the mother was allowed to get any kind of surgery, because to do otherwise was an abortion in the eyes of the law.

Situations like the ones listed in the article weighed heavily in my decision to move back to the US. I was getting married and did not want to be pregnant in a country that would let me die if something happened to the fetus. Granted, it's no longer illegal for a woman (from Ireland) to travel abroad for an abortion. But what if I didn't have that kind of time? Pre-eclampsia, placental abruption... anything can happen. Despite that no one attends church anymore, the Catholic church has a huge hold on the psyche and laws of that country. It's heart breaking.

Do you see abortion becoming legal, or at least some of the restrictions relaxed in the near future? Divorce, birth control etc have all been recent, albeit rapid developments in the past 15 odd years.

DH and I talked about moving there, but aside from the Euro crisis thr abortion issue is a major factor. If we did move there I would not want to live outside of Dublin. You get out in the sticks and the old stool culchies are thick even today.

Hey Jericho! I just posed this question to you in the other thread, but over here's good too. How does letting a woman die preserve life? Or do you just not count women as people?

Actually, scratch that. You can't even handle the one thread.

I looked it up on Wikipedia and it appears to be legal when the mother's life is threatened. A legal book is cited that I cannot search. Sorry for the poor reference; looking around, a lot of places on the internet discuss it only being legal to save a mother's life but I cannot find a hard cite.

The pain and suffering this woman went through is unconscionable! I can't even begin to imagine what she went through. I hope the doctors that caused the death of this woman burn in Hell.

Do you see abortion becoming legal, or at least some of the restrictions relaxed in the near future? Divorce, birth control etc have all been recent, albeit rapid developments in the past 15 odd years.

DH and I talked about moving there, but aside from the Euro crisis thr abortion issue is a major factor. If we did move there I would not want to live outside of Dublin. You get out in the sticks and the old stool culchies are thick even today.

Honestly, I think it'll be legal in a couple more decades. And sure there is divorce in Ireland now but it takes upwards of four years to be granted one. It's quite expensive. Usually a married couple will simply live separate lives yet still share the same house (different bedrooms, of course).

Dublin is my favorite city. I truly wish we could have stayed there.

I wonder if there was a racist element in the doctors' decision.

If this story is reported correctly, and the facts are as ststed (I never believe the press 100%) they should all be struck off anyway, for manslaughter. They knew that baby would not survive, but they still sacrificed the mother and made her suffer until she died

It is heartless.

Although I have to ask if the sac was leaking fluid why couldn't they at least start antibiotics if they wouldn't remove the fetus?

I don't understand that at all. My membranes ruptured prematurely with my first child and second child. I was on huge doses of IV antibiotics. Since BoyKay wasn't viable yet, I was strongly "encouraged" to abort (I'm sure the doctors didn't mean to be asses about it, but it was more like urgent pressure combined with scare tactics). The statistics for cases like that are so grim that the majority of women do abort, and I can't fault them at all for that. It's just amazing and horrible to know that this happens to women in this day and age, especially when they're right in the damn hospital. I can't imagine how she must have felt, asking for them to begin a procedure that would save her, and being denied. Sickening. Her husband and family must be utterly devastated.

I just don't get it she wasn't asking to abort a healthy pregnancy she was only asking them to speed up a miscarriage that was already in progress. If her water had broken and she was fully dialated there is no way a 17 week fetus could survive. Even if their laws prevented them from removing the fetus, that should have made putting her on antibiotics and constantly monitoring for signs of infection a priority. The doctor expected it to be over in a few hours after more than a day couldn't he have at least given her some petocin since most doctors consider it highly risky for a woman to have had her water be broken that long without delivering because of the high risk of infection? I really don't understand why she wasn't on an antibiotic if they were determined to just let nature take its course. Also the husband keeps mentioning she was in agony for two days were they not giving her anything for pain either?

I started another thread on this, didn't see this one. I'll abandon the other.

There have been some changes in law in recent years.

http://www.safeandlegalinireland.ie/ind ... ew=article

I see things changing slowly. The first private clinic opened not long ago in Belfast but that is UK jurisdiction. TBH there's a lot of apathy towards this issue because its really easy to get an abortion. Most people hop on a cheap flight to London. But that doesn't cover situations like this poor woman. I am surprised by this story. Most obs will cooperate in a situation where the mother's life (or health) is at risk. Written up as a D&C or 'induction'. I think this was just a bad doctor in more ways than just his morals.

This story is ALL OVER the media, radio, papers etc today. Things like this often light the pilot light if you know what I mean..

Archived