IGNORED

Racism? Or just mean?

phoenissadido

AnonymousNovember 13, 2012 7:49 PM

Lady, what the heck are you doing complaining over some models outfit? Go do something useful in your life. And they're Native Americans or First Nation people, not Indians. Get a life.

The term First Nations generally isn't used in the US, except when talking about Canada, and only then by people who are very culturally aware. I know plenty of US Native American/Indians who prefer to be called American Indians (or even just Indians). The Navajo tribe (probably Zsu's greatest exposure) uses the term Indian on their website, and not Native American. My state is home to the largest Native American/Indian population west of the Mississippi river in the US, and our largest tribe uses both Native American and Indian on their website. I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to picking a term when there are multiple options, and no universal agreement.

I just watched a little part of 'toddlers and tiaras' how on earth is it possible in a puritan country, such as the USA, a contest between toddlers dressed up like little tarts is perfectly ok and a Veronica Secret show is child inappropriate.

I think it's because the point of "toddlers and tiaras" is to smugly think you're so much better than the contestants - the show doesn't present that world in a good light at all, it's more of a "can you believe this???? *I* would never let my child do that, our family is higher class than that" while the Victoria's Secret stuff is done with approval, you're supposed to want to buy the clothes.

In the unwritten code of US entertainment, it's okay to show all sorts of tawdry things, violence, or what have you, as long as it's done in a disapproving way. You can have terrible violence and murder on TV shows as long as authority always wins in the end, the cops are good guys, etc. With sex they draw the line tighter (and no one is showing actual forbidden body parts on "toddlers and tiaras" either) but you can imply the sex if it leads to downfall. Have slutty sex, get murdered (pretty much every horror movie plot ever). But a show that either shows the "bad guys" (meaning, not on the side of authority) winning, shows authority figures as corrupted, OR shows people having sex with no shame and enjoying it as the "good" characters on a show is far more controversial. You can find such shows but they're regarded as more "edgy" or on cable or only in certain timeslots, etc.

But the main thing is, "toddlers and tiaras" is not actually in favor of that world. It's there for the snarking, just like Jerry Springer guests and the like. They're there to be made fun of. It can be quite exploitative of the guests.

Ok, for a start, how does she know what Adam and Eve were? Is she saying that she knows the mind of God? Blasphemy!! :roll:

Secondly, why bother with the black dress when she's so clearly seen this model in her scaddies already, before she blocked out her body for the rest of the adult women on her blog to see. Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted?

Thirdly, she's scraping the barrel for things to get holy about, daft bitch.

Fry bread sounds pretty good :D

As for the headdress someone should ask her how she would feel if someone went around parading a fakey variety of US military medals and uniform just for a fashion statement at some drunken frat party, got the entire thing wrong, and then laughed it off with "what? Why so sensitive? I'm just trying to HONOR them! I mean, they were so fierce when doing all the babykilling and stuff, man"

Both. Zsu is a class one bitch.

She has been sitting on her hands, so as not to bite her talons to the quick because she could not pour vitriol on the recent election.

Hatred is to Zsu what shite is to the rest of us. Gotta get it out.

She really does get off on it doesn't she? As well as the racism and general bitchiness, I was just having a wee skim over her blog, in particular the bits about homeschooling. Somebody who evinces that much general hate, and who also teaches her children at home to keep them safe from "perverts", obviously does not have the most pleasant and rational of personalities.

She really does get off on it doesn't she? As well as the racism and general bitchiness, I was just having a wee skim over her blog, in particular the bits about homeschooling. Somebody who evinces that much general hate, and who also teaches her children at home to keep them safe from "perverts", obviously does not have the most pleasant and rational of personalities.

Check her lovely views on IVF and Homosexuality. Her husband is a peach as well 8-)

UGH! Just crawled out from under my long-time lurker rock to say this lady absolutely makes my blood boil. Jesus/God is love, but apparently this particular 'follower' has a pass to be anything but? GROSS.

Also, just my two cents, I always say 'American Indian'. I'm an eighth Alabama Coushatta and that's how I've always heard my relatives refer to themselves. :)

Check her lovely views on IVF and Homosexuality. Her husband is a peach as well 8-)

I've never really had an in-depth trawl of her blog, and now I need a nice lie down. I'm particularly impressed with the IVF posts where she so seamlessly links not-so-subtle racism with the need for fertility treatments.

I will never,ever as long as I live, work out how people can claim to be so "godly" whilst they stew in such deep pits of their own hatred.

*edited for spelling

Fry bread is wonderful! I have so many memories of my Kookum (grandmother in Cree) making fry bread and bannok. It's made by mixing flour, salt, baking powder and water together then frying it in oil or shortening. You can make them into a sweet treat by topping with cinnamon sugar or have it be savory with a soup or stew.

That sounds a little like what we call Elephant Ears at the county fair - a big piece of fried dough sprinkled with cinnamon or powdered sugar. (where's the drooling smilie icon?)

That sounds a little like what we call Elephant Ears at the county fair - a big piece of fried dough sprinkled with cinnamon or powdered sugar. (where's the drooling smilie icon?)

Another great thing about fry bread is Navajo tacos, where the bread is the base for taco fillings. Back before all of the budget cuts, my local university held a community festival every spring towards the end of April, and the Native American students club sold those tacos.

]What is fry bread? It sounds great just from the name. I imagine it to be like eggy bread, but probably wrong on that.

As for Zsu, she's like my particular pet hate Kidist - there's no help for her. Although I suspect strongly that Kidist has mental health issues, and Zsu's just a bitch.

Why would anyone wear something which has a particular social or cultural significance if they knew that they didn't have that background and it would offend everyone who did? I mean people can get annoyed by anything, granted (I have spent the last three days in a state of constant annoyance), but it should be fairly obvious what's wrong with that picture.

Its like Native American donuts. And it is beyond out of this world delicious. Now I want some....

Yum, Fry Bread.

I think there are some Alaska Natives who refer to themselves as First Nation, but I can't be sure. I know there are some tribes that call themselves Eskimo, and others take offense, and some prefer Native American, and some refer to themselves as Indian. So I guess I'll give her a pass. Although the bullshit about Adam and Eve was completely off base and topic.

Zsu is wackadoo

Another great thing about fry bread is Navajo tacos, where the bread is the base for taco fillings. Back before all of the budget cuts, my local university held a community festival every spring towards the end of April, and the Native American students club sold those tacos.

Damn it, now I want a Navajo taco! I wonder if there's any such thing as gluten free frybread...

As for the headdress someone should ask her how she would feel if someone went around parading a fakey variety of US military medals and uniform just for a fashion statement at some drunken frat party, got the entire thing wrong, and then laughed it off with "what? Why so sensitive? I'm just trying to HONOR them! I mean, they were so fierce when doing all the babykilling and stuff, man"

We do have someone doing that, a lot, and posting it all over the internet. He does not do it at drunken frat parties, but during 'manly romps' and 'anaconda hunting'. His last name is 'is a tool'

UGH! Just crawled out from under my long-time lurker rock to say this lady absolutely makes my blood boil. Jesus/God is love, but apparently this particular 'follower' has a pass to be anything but? GROSS.

Also, just my two cents, I always say 'American Indian'. I'm an eighth Alabama Coushatta and that's how I've always heard my relatives refer to themselves. :)

I refer to myself as American Indian or Indian rather than Native American. My Canadian relatives refer to themselves as Native or First Nations. It seems to be personal preference, sort of like African American and Black.

Also fry bread for those who ask is sort of like a cross between naan bread and county fair fried bread dough/elephant ears. I know some people make a sweet version, I've only had it as savory.

Man, now I want fry bread. And head dresses as fashion is insulting. If the goal is to be insulting, fine. That's your right. But don't claim it's "honoring" Native culture. Unless I get to cut up an American flag to make underwear and call that honoring the United States.

Zsu's at it again: http://stevenandersonfamily.blogspot.co ... ss-on.html

Seriously? Even as an atheist, I'm fully happy not to wear anything that other cultures find private or important to them. And the crack about the frybread just seems unnecessarily cruel. (Or characteristically cruel, if you prefer.)

I'm pissed off at that woman who left that in the comments: "She chooses to have an eating disorder, I had one for yrs bla bla bla, I chose it myself to have this disorder." (Paraphrasing.)

Things like that pisses me off to no end. Can you read, dumbass: eating DISORDER. No one chooses to have a disorder! Makes me wanna punch something.

Archived