IGNORED

The Duggar's Influence

Fundilicious

So I was on pinterest looking up Thanksgiving crafts and a pin led me to this ladies blog (whom happened to be Fundy). I became curious (as I normally am when I run across new Fundy blogs) and start looking at her blog from the beginning. She starts her blog off by writing a 4-part post on choices. Basically she explains why she stays home, breeds many children, and home schools.

However, what struck me as sad is that she really came into this after watching the Duggars. She chose homeschooling materials based off of the Duggar's recommendations, and then choose to wear skirts only because the Duggars did it.

What I find interesting about the Fundy community is how often they preach to not make other things an idol. Do they not see how they are idolizing the Duggars? When you are only looking to the Duggars as an example and copying everything they do, you are idolizing them. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Anywho- just wanted to share my "find" today. Link is (I don't know how to break a link so sorry- I'm using the annoying DOT) inallyoudo.net/2010/10/19/choices-2/

I can't help thinking how proud the Duggars would be if they read this! Their mission is turn people to their style of living.

All fundies seem to have an idiol. their version of a nasty hateful god or some sweet talking asshat they think is next to god. (duggers ak gothard or frothy) They seem to worship anyone that seems to have more power then them or is more godly.

I imagine you already have to be fairly immersed in the fundy world to not roll your eyes at the Duggars in the first place. She'd be using someone else's materials if she hadn't found the Duggars.

If you choose to be a SAHM, forego any attempt at family planning, ruin your children's education by SOTDRT-ing them, and choose to limit your wardrobe to skirts and dresses only because of something you see on television- you're a moron who will likely be naturally removed from the gene pool soon enough as it is.

Eh, she never says she did anything only because they did. She seemed to get ideas from them and then (she says) research them on her own and with her husband. So obviously the Duggars are an influence but she does say she wouldn't do something JUST because they do.

:roll: It drives me crazy how fundies are so obsessed with certain rules, like not having any idols, when in reality they idolize people like Gothard or the Duggars.

I think the Duggars do have some influence with people who are already feeling guilty (what would be consider "convicted" in fundie speak) about their own lifestyles.

Every church I have ever visited regularly promoted some degree of, "God loves you as you are. BUT, once you really accept him, he will work on your heart and that will change your behaviors." Basically, if you are a Good Christian on the inside, it will show on the outside. In my opinion, this message is presented over and over again until people start to feel guilty about not making changes; they will be told this guilt is God convicting them to make changes.

So, if you have someone like that who is ripe for the picking and then you throw a Duggar show on top of that and then when the wavering person can find the bible verses that Michelle or JB or whoever speaks about (ie, research), yes, I can see how the Duggar's "ministry" could lead people to skirts only, limited tv, SAHM/D, etc. I don't think they would feel like the Duggars are an idol, because the foundation of guilt has already been laid.

But, as an outsider, I agree with you re: the Duggars as idols. Even in small microcosms, such as a church, there seems to always be a "perfect" family that all the other families want to be like -- the wife is "prettier" than the other women, the husband is more successful (God's Blessings, you know), the kids are well behaved, the house is bigger and decorated better, you get the point. Idols, all of it.

:roll: It drives me crazy how fundies are so obsessed with certain rules, like not having any idols, when in reality they idolize people like Gothard or the Duggars.

It drives me crazy as well. I hate reading the comments r the Maxwell blog, many of their "fans" want to be just like them. I have even see comments of people saying although they had great childhoods. They respect Teri & Steve-o more.

I also think the Duggars would be proud. Don't they always say, they chose to do the show to further their ministry? Or something similar to that?

I also think the Duggars would be proud. Don't they always say, they chose to do the show to further their ministry? Or something similar to that?

It would be hard to imaging the Duggars being anything but proud (Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goeth before destruction...", not withstanding.) Heck, I'd be proud if I could influence people into doing something that I thought was right (note: right, not righteous.)

THIS

Yup they have spouted the line several times. They have annoyed people with that line. My friend's uncle is a minister and he gets annoyed with the Duggars saying that they "minister" through their TV show.

I think a lot of people find themselves deep in fundie culture for one simple reason: Being a grown-up means making decisions and choices. It is scary to have to make your own choices and be responsible for the consequences. It is easier to follow the trail blazed by others. Especially if those others declare themselves prophets of God and caretakers of his flock. And they (fundie leaders) are able to sweep negative consequences under the rug better than most.

It is scary to have to make your own choices and be responsible for the consequences. It is easier to follow the trail blazed by others.

I think you've put that really well. Sad really - they don't want to make choices so they make just about the worst choice possible.

Also that blog - What's the weird 'Breed - love' thing at the top?!

If you choose to be a SAHM, forego any attempt at family planning, ruin your children's education by SOTDRT-ing them, and choose to limit your wardrobe to skirts and dresses only because of something you see on television- you're a moron who will likely be naturally removed from the gene pool soon enough as it is.

I agree. This lifestyle is unsustainable. The first generation of followers had and education and a fairly normal life before joining the movement. Their kids and grandkids, however, are/will be so sheltered and have no real life skills. Most will be doomed to a life of poverty, and then will realize that everything they have been taught is a lie, and leave the movement.

I agree. This lifestyle is unsustainable. The first generation of followers had and education and a fairly normal life before joining the movement. Their kids and grandkids, however, are/will be so sheltered and have no real life skills. Most will be doomed to a life of poverty, and then will realize that everything they have been taught is a lie, and leave the movement.

Most second-generation fundies seem to be supported by their parents anyway, even long after marriage. That's the only way to sustain the movement.

Yes, but unless you're fundie royalty, that support can't last for too many generations, especially when we're talking about large and mega large families. And at some point the fundie royalty will run out of money. It's just not a sustainable movement in the long term. Think about those fundie families that are living in abject poverty that we don't know about because they don't blog, have social medial sites, and fly under the radar. My heart aches for for those children who are being forced to live like that.

It would be hard to imaging the Duggars being anything but proud (Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goeth before destruction...", not withstanding.) Heck, I'd be proud if I could influence people into doing something that I thought was right (note: right, not righteous.)

I'm not sure Michelle really believes it is right, maybe it's just that what she needs to be happy is to constantly have a baby.

Most second-generation fundies seem to be supported by their parents anyway, even long after marriage. That's the only way to sustain the movement.

Unless your the Bates, where your son supports you and the entire family.

Ashley at ourhappilyeverafters, also a friend of Lyndsie's, just visited the Duggars and gushed endlessly about how wonderful and wise Michelle is, how sweet they all are to open their home, how adorable and well-behaved the children are, etc. There are lots of the standard side-huggy pics.

We looked to our right, and THERE IT WAS! The house! Like a group of ridiculous teenagers, we started screaming. It was ridiculous and hilarious at the same time!

Come on, Michelle is not Elvis, or even Anne of Green Gables.

It was such an honor and privilege to be in the Duggar home and experience first-hand their godly, warm hospitality and love. Michelle kept saying, "You are just the sweetest friend!" and "Thank you, friend!" I laughed and said "I am one of Michelle's FRIENDS - I have MADE it!" and we all laughed so hard.

Yes, you have truly found your place in life. :roll:

Every now and then I see a reader comment under a Duggar article along the lines of cliche statements like "why do you click on the article if you do not like them", "who are you to judge, hater, are you jealous or what", "what's the problem, they are not on government assistance and they love their kids" etc.

THIS is my problem. Influence.

Archived