IGNORED

Interesting blog of ex-Orthodox. Alas, it's in Hebrew.

AuntCloud

Posts can be long and a bit rambly but she has a sharp insight, especially about the early days when she was still in the fold. She talks about being repeatedly told how special they were, and about her wardrobe growing up ("Three A-line skirts, brown or black, not too tight, not to wide, not too flowy. A couple of men's button-down shirts so your waist doesn't show. One white women's button-down shirt for Shabbat". Also, how her parents methodically forbade her associating with other girls, finding something ungodly with each friend she brought home. She married young and had kids, moved from house to house and between countries, and finally left about 2.5 years ago.

At least you can look at the photos.

http://www.tapuz.co.il/blog/net/ViewEnt ... Id=2415619

...and there's a detailed post about life with 9 mostly-younger siblings and an older sister who enjoys housework about as much as Joy-Anna Duggar. Her description of a typical morning and afternoon-evening at their house leaves me breathless: spending an hour getting her screaming baby brother to sleep, helping her siblings with their homework, helping bathe and dress them and do her little sisters' hair, being woken up from sleep because she didn't do the dished, and doing her homework late at night, in the shed. She also admits she doesn't have a lot of patience for children and even then she was hoping for a small family.

Interesting find, thanks! My google translate handled it pretty well.

I'm in Firefox; do you know how to get it to automatically translate like the page does in Chrome?

Ironically, what saves her is working. Most Jewish Orthodox women must work outside the home to support their Torah-studying husbands. She repeatedly says how much she enjoys working, how she loves her children but finds it exhausting, how she is thrilled at doing something she's good at.

It's almost a mirror-image of isolationist fundie-dom: instead of living in the back of beyond she lives in this nosy community, where the neighbor can call her father if the dares empty the trash with no socks on so her toes are showing (omg toes!!). Her dad, wisely, asked him how come he was paying so much attention to his daughter's toes. School is a place to be judged and blamed for imaginary modesty transgressions, and she longs to be married to she can use make-up and wear sneakers, another modesty no-no at school. Funny how modesty standards vary - a standard fundie girl wearing make-up and flip-flops would be tagged as the epitome of immodesty in an Orthodox community.

Its also weird how much the standards vary in regards to make up and clothing from one community to the next. It sounds like this girl's mother was a total b*tch. The idea that the other ultra Orthodox girls in her class were having sleep overs and hanging out but she couldn't participate for imagined issues. Its one thing to be religious,its another to use religious "reasons" to imprison your kids.

Since when are sneakers immodest?! And Flip Flops?! In the summer I see plenty of sandals on the Yeshiva girls. Not flip flops, but there are TOES! And sneakers the rest of the year. This woman has an awful mother. I guess at least she wasn't confined to being a SAHD. Funny how the fundies have created a fate worse than being a man's baby machine. I wonder what's next?

Archived