IGNORED

Slight heel, matching stuff = LADY

super skeptic

Kidist cracks me up. (She's at ---> cameraluc.blogspot.com)

WorkersFransBlog1.jpg

I think it was my relatively well-put-together ensemble that partly got the attention of the construction worker:

- I have matching gloves and scarf

- My hat (a 1920s style cloche hat) and my boots match

- My boots have a slight heel (not those unwalkable stilts all the rage these days, or flats for the majority which lives off ugliness which hit the pavement with no shock absorption ), and have a slight sheen

- The tan winter jacket stands out against the blacks and grey all around

- The brown handbag contrasts with the tan of the jacket

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or maybe the construction worker was just a genuinely decent guy?

Of course, it's also possible that he was thinking, "there's that odd woman again who is always at Fran's. She seems to be somewhat off, and might be mentally disturbed. Better make sure she can get across the street safely."

WHAT is her deal about flat shoes? They look cute, and, depending, can look very "ladylike." Aren't they better for your back than heels anyway? (correct me if I'm wrong.)

And anyway, some of us CAN'T handle even the "slight high heels" because we'd fall and break our necks in anything besides flats. In that picture, I would constantly be tripping somehow...

My go-to boots are flat, and they never match my hat. Guess I "live off ugliness." And I love the feeble attempt at practical justification with the "shock absorption" comment.

Oh, and I can open my own damn doors. And pull out my own chairs. And leap over puddles. When I'm just going about my damn day, no, I'm not about to waste time waiting for some guy to acknowledge my femininity. The way most guys acknowledge femininity around here is less chivalrous, but both behaviors "other" women.

There is a big construction project going on right outside where I work and the road is often blocked. I'm able to wear t-shirt and jeans to work and I don't wear makeup and I wear sneakers. I needed to cross the street to get to the grocery store on the other side and the construction workers stopped traffic for me so I could cross safely. Must have been the sneakers and jeans.

1) That seems like an unbelievably bland outfit.

2) Since when do construction workers need a "well-put-together" outfit to check a woman out?

Maybe when one of them is the Construction Worker from the Village People?

I agree--that is a horribly bland outfit. Last I checked, "matchiness" is dated (though I confess being guilty of it--but, hey, I get a pass at my age).

And, ohhhhhh, don't get me started on what she had to say about the Obama ladies' ensembles on Election Night. I think our First Lady rocks her look, no matter what she wears. Oh, and did no one send Kidist the memo that hose are not de rigeur as they were a decade ago?

I actually tend toward the conservative/classic in dress style as a preference, but even I think that outfit might be a tad bland. Then again, I have been known to rock the hippie-meadow muffin look occasionally too, right down to the handknit socks and Birks. :whistle:

What a bland outfit. I dont think that guy helped her because of the way she was dresses (if he did, he wouldnt be a decent guy, as if he was, he would help anyone regardless of the way they were dresses), he was just nice or thought she was a lost crazy woman.

Slight heel, matching stuff= Stayin' Alive

ScreenShot070%20copy.jpg?1312040367

Hey, where did you find my dad's wedding suit? Only thing missing is the perm.

Maybe when one of them is the Construction Worker from the Village People?

I agree--that is a horribly bland outfit. Last I checked, "matchiness" is dated (though I confess being guilty of it--but, hey, I get a pass at my age).

And, ohhhhhh, don't get me started on what she had to say about the Obama ladies' ensembles on Election Night. I think our First Lady rocks her look, no matter what she wears. Oh, and did no one send Kidist the memo that hose are not de rigeur as they were a decade ago?

That really irked me. Trashing the precious Sasha and Malia Obama? No way.

Ugh, the shallowness of the fundies again. Jesus loves you, unless you're ugly. Or not matching. Or wearing flats. Or, I'm guessing from today's racist rant ("Resistance"), non-white.

And since she is feeling superior, I'm going to take this opportunity to point out that she lacks the ability to write properly.

I had taken the time to look feminine, which means that I wasn't going to:

a. Refuse any help, attributing such help to male chauvinism

b. Did need help, since my coat could get soiled by the gravel dust, and my shoes had a slight heel, and I was losing some balance on the pebbles of gravel

c. I did look concerned and unsure how to tackle this obstruction

Last I checked, all lettered points should be a continuation of "...I wasn't going to."

...I wasn't going to did need help...

...I wasn't going to I did look concerned...

Grade A writing, there!

'Sheen' - the construction worked noticed the 'sheen' of her boots and this is why he helped her cross the road... :lol:

I thought I was reasonably attentive to what I wear, but I can't say I've ever tried to judge the effect the sheen of my boots would have on people.

If she was really hardcore, she'd do a Beau Brummell and clean them with champagne.

Sweet Jesus, is she wearing tan, brown, black AND gray in the same outfit? And this lady feels qualified to judge fashion. :roll:

This lady is certified insane! Seriously, what a weirdo.

So some nice guy helped her across some rubble, and HOLY MOLY! It's all because she decided to be a true lady. Because if she had worn her sweats that day [God forbid!] the man may have just pushed her out into oncoming traffic instead.

Phew! Dodged a bullet there.

I was genuinely shocked that Obama won the elections. I was in a kind of haze yesterday, trying to understand what this could possibly mean (for me, at least).

Finally, I this is what I surmised:

From now on, I will assume that any non-white I come across: Chinese, Muslim, black, Middle Eastern, Asian, African, Korean, Jamaican, Egyptian, Ethiopian, Japanese, Philippino, wants Canada to fail, wants white Americans to fail, wants to destroy the historical white-created Western civilization to fail.

They will be my enemies.

As much as it was a shocking outcome (I really thought Romney would win), it stands now as a proof that we can no longer stay with the status quo of letting unassimilable, unassimilated, non-Western groups have such decisive, and devastating, effects on our society and culture.

We have to strategize:

1. To reduce the numbers of these population groups

2. To reduce the effect of these population groups

3. To keep on going despite negative, even possibly dangerous, repercussions against us

This election's outcome is the straw that (should) break the camel's back. It is up to us to make that analogy clear and final.

Kidist, Kidist, Kidist. I hate to break this to you, but you are black.

I am white. You are black. If you stood the two of us side by side, no-one would be in any doubt as to which was the black one. That would be, um, you.

If you look at yourself in the mirror, you're looking at one of those eeebil non-whites, because you are black. For the avoidance of doubt, that would be BLACK. As in not white.

I can understand people have political differences with Obama, but you have such a confused view of your own ethnicity it's difficult to know where to start. You aren't white. You're not Caucasian either. And that doesn't matter. I wish I could get you to understand it doesn't matter, because as we say in Scotland "we're a' Jock Tamson's bairns". To translate that, it means "we're all John Thomson's kids". It means we're all equal. You and me, the Chinese bloke down the street, the First Nations girl you see catching the bus every morning. The Asian lady who determinedly is trying to memorise the chapter of the Qu'ran on the train. The gay folk holding hands. We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns and we are not your enemies.

I am so sad you don't see that and I hope, one day, you will.

Since when do construction workers need a "well-put-together" outfit to check a woman out?

Good question. I live in a fairly agricultural area and quite often we have truck drivers stopping through. Today there were a bunch at the doughnut shop. I was walking by and all of them watched me come and watched me go.

I was dressed fairly simply. Black sneakers, blue jeans, black shirt, light blue jacket and a buckle hat. The jacket I have is big enough to hide any shape that I have.

I'm also nothing to look at. Some people will stop and look. It's human nature.

I liked Michelle Obama's dress.

Hardly anyone wears hose or tights anymore. The last time I wore tights was for a 1940's costume and that was a few years ago.

miss goofy is violating a few very fashion rules regarding matching:

shoes and purse should match, as well as belt if worn.

gloves, scark and shoes should match. the exception would be leather gloves.

you should only wear 1 neutral color at a time.

i remember these from my '80s-tastic emily cho book. "how to dress

which showed you how to build a serviceable wardrobe. she told you what order to purchase core pieces in, as you can afford to buy them. her advice still stands solid, although i might not buy the bell-bottomed dress slacks.

WHAT is her deal about flat shoes? They look cute, and, depending, can look very "ladylike." Aren't they better for your back than heels anyway? (correct me if I'm wrong.)

And anyway, some of us CAN'T handle even the "slight high heels" because we'd fall and break our necks in anything besides flats. In that picture, I would constantly be tripping somehow...

Exactly, there are so many cute flat shoes! I'm literally on my feet for at least 8 hours a day when I work, I don't feel like going home in heels. My feet hurt enough as it is after a long day. And I'm tall, I tower over people when I wear some of my very cute, but also very uncomfortable, stilettos.

- My boots have a slight heel (not those unwalkable stilts all the rage these days, or flats for the majority which lives off ugliness which hit the pavement with no shock absorption ), and have a slight sheen

Back in the 60s and 70s, women in some occupations were banned from wearing patent leather shoes, because the patent leather might reflect what was under their skirts. Was the construction worker looking at the "slight sheen" of kidist's shoes? :lol:

Archived