IGNORED

Post a youtube

JesusFightClub

Alright I know most people here probably don't listen to this type of music.. But this is my current favorite.

1ohvhmGSfxI

I also can't get Kanye Wests new song out of my head :x

ETA: Why isn't it showing up as a video?! :cry: :angry-cussingwhite:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright I know most people here probably don't listen to this type of music.. But this is my current favorite.

I also can't get Kanye Wests new song out of my head :x

ETA: Why isn't it showing up as a video?! :cry: :angry-cussingwhite:

Oh FFS... read the thread, it's been explained several times.

Guest Anonymous

In the last 24 hours, I've become obsessed with this song:

HO1OV5B_JDw

Liking it makes me feel like such a loser!

'Hoooney, is that true...?'

Raul Midon - State of Mind

zzaClXAt3aY

Bob Mould - The Descent PLEASE NOTE: Skip to :21 before playing.

Ieb_T9ylY4o

Liszt's Totentanz (as played by Valentina Lisitsa)

zGBXA1tBiLw

Billy Bragg - Tank Park Salute

5heTJ65bdhU

Hüsker Dü - Eight Miles High (one of the most glorious things ever recorded if not the most glorious thing)

xBKyBlJ_JN8

I am loving these to a quite unreasonable extent. Here's one of mine (WARNING GRAPHIC).

Edit - What the fuck? I did just letters and numbers after the V and it didn't show. This is is it

PIzJT7j5VHA

sogba, you're a legend! I am so thick at embedding stuff it's untrue. This is not my computer and the person who owns it disapproves of embedding so I dunno if it's that or I'm just daft.

(It's running Firefox)

I've played this about a dozen times during the past few days. Don't much care for the rest of the concerto (or Grieg generally, I'm sorry to say), but love the final movement -

Urnbp7Jm0EE

JFC!

I've had "Let the People Sing" in my head all week. I thought the third video on your original post was going to be that one for sure, once I saw the Hoops emblem. Took me four tries to get it to play on the iPad (wtf?). Still, what a treat! Thanks for that.

You know, I've actually been (slowly) collecting IRA type songs for their relevance to a character I'm working on, so JFC, you've helped my probably super-sketchy looking playlist a little bit today. :)

I can't wait to listen to everyone's songs. As for me, this is what youtube has for my recent history:

Matlida the Musical - Naughty

PkluLV0WHdU

Bebe - Siempre Me Quedara

z-HKvYDTpoc

Lucia - Silence

UAm_uoV1z5k

The Dubliners - Song for Ireland

kz_dHcduUTU

Les Miserables - Do You Hear the People Sing

to1PCOpLcYU

Joanna Newsom - '81

Greq05zAS9g

By the way, something I just worked out about embedding videos. If the link looks like this www.youtube.com/watch?v=RANDOMLETTERS&f ... rrelevancy, you just have to copy the RANDOMLETTERS bit, I think.

Jaynie, I can help you with songs you would hear in republican pubs over here and perhaps slightly with some aspects of republican culture. I'm more interested in the technical side but I will try the best I can if you have questions. I'm not unfamiliar with it.

(There ought to be a thread on "I am writing a character, can you give me some help". I think loads of people would do.)

Jaynie, I can help you with songs you would hear in republican pubs over here and perhaps slightly with some aspects of republican culture. I'm more interested in the technical side but I will try the best I can if you have questions. I'm not unfamiliar with it.

(There ought to be a thread on "I am writing a character, can you give me some help". I think loads of people would do.)

It's very early days yet so questions are limited, but I would much appreciate song recommendations! (I always feel a bit like I'm going to end up on some sort of watch list when I google this stuff). The character in question is a musician who grew up in a...IRA happy household? I'm not actually sure on the specifics yet :lol: . I just figured that a musician might take to the songs of his childhood...

By the way, the Ask Me Anything threads are pretty good for writing stuff, though of course you have to wait for someone with relevant interests to start one...

It's very early days yet so questions are limited, but I would much appreciate song recommendations! (I always feel a bit like I'm going to end up on some sort of watch list when I google this stuff). The character in question is a musician who grew up in a...IRA happy household? I'm not actually sure on the specifics yet :lol: . I just figured that a musician might take to the songs of his childhood...By the way, the Ask Me Anything threads are pretty good for writing stuff, though of course you have to wait for someone with relevant interests to start one...

Jaynie, have you read Maura's Angel? http://www.lynnereidbanks.com/books/maurasangel.html It's a kids book and although I haven't read it since I was about 12 I immediately thought it might give you some interesting background (if I'm remembering it correctly!).

pFJzJUYsNr4

Some of you have undoubtedly seen this, but it's always fun to watch again. The sad thing is, I could see it topping actual music charts in certain parts of the US...

Jaynie, have you read Maura's Angel? http://www.lynnereidbanks.com/books/maurasangel.html It's a kids book and although I haven't read it since I was about 12 I immediately thought it might give you some interesting background (if I'm remembering it correctly!).

I will definitely look into it, thanks!

v=IzBRvqgivjg&sns=em

This is a classic rebel song sung while drunk at every party. It's a tear jerker. Will post more

Youtube says that doesn't exist, no matter how much I play with the code...:(

Thank you bssnowdog.

Jaynie, I'm Irish. Most Irish house parties end up in a sing song and this includes ira and rebel songs whether you're ira happy or not. It's just part of the culture, it's ingrained in us!

Here are some popular ones

The Foggy Dew

The Fields of Athenry

The Tricoloured Ribbon-o (often sung by a female)

The Croppy boy

The Wild Rover (not so much a rebel song)

Come out you Black and Tans

No Man's Land (or Willy Mc Bride) - often sung by a female also

Grace - in the clip above

Also, anything by The Wolfe Tones is generally very rebel oriented. The above list is only a tiny sample but these ones are very well known and the ones you hear most often, aka everyone will know the words! In terms of artists, they're sung by multiple artists (usually bearded men!) so you can choose your favourites. I'll have a think about some more.

Thank you bssnowdog.

Jaynie, I'm Irish. Most Irish house parties end up in a sing song and this includes ira and rebel songs whether you're ira happy or not. It's just part of the culture, it's ingrained in us!

Here are some popular ones

The Foggy Dew

The Fields of Athenry

The Tricoloured Ribbon-o (often sung by a female)

The Croppy boy

The Wild Rover (not so much a rebel song)

Come out you Black and Tans

No Man's Land (or Willy Mc Bride) - often sung by a female also

Grace - in the clip above

Also, anything by The Wolfe Tones is generally very rebel oriented. The above list is only a tiny sample but these ones are very well known and the ones you hear most often, aka everyone will know the words! In terms of artists, they're sung by multiple artists (usually bearded men!) so you can choose your favourites. I'll have a think about some more.

Thanks Irishy! I've actually heard a few of these (mostly in Dubliners format) but I'll be looking into the others for sure. I did spend quite a lot of time clicking through different versions of Grace yesterday, so my ears and my muses thank you (although my school assignment, which got successfully put off, does not :lol: !)

The ones I know tend to come from the more...violent end of the spectrum, Jaynie, so I knew Irishy would be able to give you much better ideas.

Christy Moore is also worth looking into, and I would say if you walked into any republican pub in Scotland you would expected to know The Fields of Athenrye (the whole pub will sing along to that, you better too) and Come out ye Black and Tans. If you go into some pubs you'll get "Up the 'RA" which despite its vaguely suggestive name is not a song about shagging members of the IRA :oops: There are actually two versions of this, and it's technically illegal in Scotland because it's classed under "sectarian hatred" very strangely as it's not about that. It has a rather bad reputation, but my understanding is the coppers know when to say "I never heard owt" and stroll nonchalantly away.

People say "'RA" as a small word, usually for the Provos, and "Oglach" which means like "Volunteer". If someone dies they are Oglach [whatever their name was] anyway. Here is Oglach Alan Ryan, who was RIRA (and I hope I can fucking get this embedding nonsense right for once).

2Uh5V7G8Geo

I hasten to point out the RIRA are, well, what they are, and this from me is no message of support. Irishy will be able to explain this better than me. You can also note the colour party (the guys, and I think at least one woman, with berets and covered faces).

It also may be helpful to know the difference between the stickies (Official IRA) and the Provos (Provisional IRA) but it depends how much detail you want to put into this.

There's uproar over this Alan Ryan funeral. The RIRA are the ones responsible for the Omagh bomb.

I'm flying but check out Joxer Goes To Stuttgart by Christy Moore for a flavour of Irish v English sentiment.

Archived