IGNORED

Missionaries TO Canada-Or Canadians Are Lost In Darkness.

debrand

Bring it, Crazy Missionary Lady!

I just had a confrontation with some mormon missionaries today, wherein I informed them that I think they are diagnosibly mentally ill given their insistence on belief in and endless nattering about unverifyable absurdities.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bring it, Crazy Missionary Lady!

I just had a confrontation with some mormon missionaries today, wherein I informed them that I think they are diagnosibly mentally ill given their insistence on belief in and endless nattering about unverifyable absurdities.

I'll have to try that (minus the diagnosable bit, probably). I once had a conversation with some mormon missionaries in which I repeatedly insisted I was a happy, fulfilled, charitable little heathen, and they said "we're very glad for you. If you have any friends that might be seeking spiritual discovery please give them our card." I thought at the time that getting an atheist to evangelize for you was being A Bit Lazy on the spiritual warfare front.

I grew up with a woman who married a rising star in the fundie reformed Presbyterian church. He pastors several churches in the Newcastle upon Tyne area. Apparently the UK is crawling with US missionaries.

I know Ireland is (mostly) not the UK, but one of the members of my church back in high school decided to take his family there and be missionaries. He asked us to help raise money in support of his tickets, which he said were going to cost $500 per person. I was SUPER jealous, as I had a friend in Ireland in the hospital at that time, and was trying to raise money to go see her, but no one would raise money for ME.

In one of his fund raising sermons he said, "my children are going to grow up speaking Irish."

He wouldn't listen when I tried to tell him otherwise. I mean, yeah the Irish use different words sometimes, but even most of those, I think, are British vs American English. The kids would learn a few words in Irish probably, but my friend in Ireland says they all speak English.

I gave up trying to convince him and decided he'd see for himself when I wasn't around to gloat.

I also remember how strange it was that he was going to Ireland. Then I was told that Ireland is mostly Catholic, and at the time, I decided that made sense. (Again, going through fundy lite stage at that time.)

Southern Alberta is full of heathen Mormons, y'know.

And before missionizing in Quebec, you'd think these bozos might have read up on the Quiet Revolution and what preceded it. But probably not. I bet they don't even speak French!

Obviously they were preying to the pope which you know is heretic.

I don't have any friend in Montreal who was born there and believe in god. I have many friends who are gay and really not interested in religion.

Plus the United Church of Canada are actually nice protestants so I don't think they'd convince anyone with their going to hell theory (and no sex, no alcohol, etc).

Obviously they were preying to the pope which you know is heretic.

I don't have any friend in Montreal who was born there and believe in god. I have many friends who are gay and really not interested in religion.

Plus the United Church of Canada are actually nice protestants so I don't think they'd convince anyone with their going to hell theory (and no sex, no alcohol, etc).

When I tell Evangelicals that I belong to the United Church, I get the same look they give Muslims. Like they pity me. I used to assume telling them I was Christian would stop them from giving me the Jesus talk, but nope, when they ask which church I belong to, I might as well tell them I'm an atheist for all they're gonna care.

The United Church has a pretty teeny influence on the Canadian population - much less than the Evangelical churches. The Catholic Church is still big here, but, while I consider it to be a pretty fundie institution, American missionaries probably see them as needing saving as much as the rest of us. I mean, they teach evolution in their schools! How misguided can you get?

I consider it an honour to live in a country that "needs" fundie missionaries to convert the citizens. I've heard talk of sending missionaries to the UK too. (No idea why they ignore all of the other godless European countries).

(snip)

SOTDRT doesn't teach foreign languages. America only speaks English!

Can we send missionaries to their homes? Do you know how offended they would get if the same tactics that they use on other people were used on them?

SOTDRT doesn't teach foreign languages. America only speaks English!

Well everyone knows that Bible was revealed in English and KJV is the only one that matters.

I am still very curious to see what they use in their missions in France.

Ugh. There's already a sizeable fundy-lite population in the GTA suburbs. My own town is host to a large fundy-lite Baptist church and a vociferous and whackadoodle congregation of the William Branham church.

I think they'll find their niche already filled.

As a white person married to an evangelical, I disagree. My suburb is mostly white and full of mostly white evangelical churches, as is true in many GTA suburbs.

Your general point, that evangelical churches tend to be segregated based on race/culture, is certainly true though. :)

Halton? I'm betting that you aren't in southern York Region or Peel. Every so often I'm in Milton, and get a bit of culture shock.

Given that I'm both Canadian and a Christian, this strikes close to home. We really do not need their particular brand of 'Christianity' here. I think it's very, very telling that this guy honestly believe that there are two different gospels, and that the 'gospel of belonging' and the 'gospel of redemption' are two different things.

Also, WTF at people in Quebec barely remembering Jesus as a historical figure? Yes, Quebec is pretty secular, but I can guarantee you that French Canadian Catholics know who Jesus is.

Given that I'm both Canadian and a Christian, this strikes close to home. We really do not need their particular brand of 'Christianity' here. I think it's very, very telling that this guy honestly believe that there are two different gospels, and that the 'gospel of belonging' and the 'gospel of redemption' are two different things.

Also, WTF at people in Quebec barely remembering Jesus as a historical figure? Yes, Quebec is pretty secular, but I can guarantee you that French Canadian Catholics know who Jesus is.

we cuss his name every day :D got to love Québec's cuss wods :lol:

we cuss his name every day :D got to love Québec's cuss wods :lol:

Let's say I'm discussing Bible passages in French and want to discuss the building of the tabernacle. Is there any way to have a clean religious conversation in Quebec? To mention a sacred chalice in a tabernacle?

[in Quebec, saying shit is no big deal, but chalice or tabernacle is downright badass.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

I'm reading the article about Toronto - this is seriously funny stuff. I'm picturing Samantha Bee and Jason Jones doing a piece on them for The Daily Show.

Let's say I'm discussing Bible passages in French and want to discuss the building of the tabernacle. Is there any way to have a clean religious conversation in Quebec? To mention a sacred chalice in a tabernacle?

[in Quebec, saying shit is no big deal, but chalice or tabernacle is downright badass.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

Well for tabernacle, the cuss work is more tabarnak (have heard tabarnouche, tabarouète too). For chalice, then yeah it would sound really funny!

I know someone who works as a Baptist missionary in France. She has been there for about 10 years, I can't think what she's been doing all this time. Surely there can't be that many opportunities for converting the French.

I know someone who works as a Baptist missionary in France. She has been there for about 10 years, I can't think what she's been doing all this time. Surely there can't be that many opportunities for converting the French.

I would like to sign up to be a "missionary" in France. I would wax lyrical about my beliefs as I drink excellent wine and eat excellent food at some cafe or bistro. When strolling through the museums and shops I would be a model of perfect womanhood for the Parisiennes (who are just not chic enough - don't you know). :D

This reminds me of that couple who is going to New Mexico to be missionaries to people who already believe in Christ. It is like "We want to be missionaries, but we don't want to go anywhere hard, or dangerous, or that doesn't have Walmart, so let's pick New Mexico! They got Catholics so we can pretend to be missionaries to heathens while not really doing anything!"

I think it's kind of cute that this is a "thing". Since I'm already Canadian, can I volunteer to proselytize in the UK sometime around Christmas? I have some cousins and I'm pretty sure they're heathens, also they don't get as much snow so I'm pretty sure the Word will be clearer, unmuffled by white fluffy flakes. You know, that, and I'll have a month off in December and a vacation would be nice.

I found a blog the other week from an IFB couple who were missionaries in the UK. Somewhere down south in Devon.

Oh, please please please share!

I love how fundies think that just because not all Canadians aren't their brand of what they think true Christianity is or aren't Christians, that they're lost in the dark. Fundies are the true 1s lost in the dark, not even acting like Christ. And they say Canadians are lost in the dark? Seriously.

:lol: Devon, why yes that hotbed of heathens. Good of them to pick one of the most beautiful, least populated, gorgeous places to live in the UK, shows such sacrifice on their part.

Send them to Glasgow :D

I should be highly offended by this, but the thought of these guys in Glasgow...On the plus side, they'd not know they were being sworn at, unless they had an interpreter.

Ugh. There's already a sizeable fundy-lite population in the GTA suburbs. My own town is host to a large fundy-lite Baptist church and a vociferous and whackadoodle congregation of the William Branham church.

I think they'll find their niche already filled.

There's one of those in Edmonton too - they seem to be a secretive bunch

On behalf of Free Jinger, I will be going forth as a missionary to the UK. Please send funds to support me as I spread light and love in this dark little place where most of the people have not even heard the message of Free Jinger. It is sad and I need to go as quickly as possible. It will be a sacrifice, with them not even knowing what side of the road to drive on and talking with a weird accent, but I shall press on. But I can't do this without your money. So send it.

Archived