IGNORED

Missionaries TO Canada-Or Canadians Are Lost In Darkness.

debrand

onmission.com/onmissioncb.aspx?id=8590001234

When I attended an IFB church, we had guest speakers from Canada. It seems strange that American missionaries would target Canada but they do.

Most of this city is pre-Christian, meaning nobody in the family tree was a Christian. Forty-three percent say they’re atheists,†says Jeff Phillips, a church planter who moved his family from Texas to Vancouver a year ago to start The Crossings in downtown Vancouver. “We see the diversity and spiritual darkness, and we desire to be on the front lines of that.â€

and

In Vancouver, any semblance of organized religion is often met with mistrust.

“We’re very organized,†says Phillips. “But we don’t let anybody know that or they might not come.â€

Most of The Crossings’ meetings are monthly dinners hosted by volunteer families throughout the city where Vancouver residents experience more friendship and community than organized religion.

“In a place like Vancouver we have to present the gospel of belonging before we preach the gospel of redemption,†says Phillips. “This is what you have to do if you’re going after the lost and the multi-cultural mindset.â€

Phillips’ wife, Sara, says she’s never been friends with so many non-Christians. “My whole life I feel like I’ve been in a Christian bubble,†says Sara. “This is the first time I feel like I’m the only light among my friends.â€

and

In Quebec organized religion is scoffed at, and Jesus is barely remembered as a historical figure.

and

We need to point churches to the three cities of Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, with a specific emphasis on Montreal. It’s easily the darkest city in North America,†adds Christopherson.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I attended an IFB church, we had guest speakers from Canada. It seems strange that American missionaries would target Canada but they do.

and

and

and

As a Canadian, these guys are deeply offensive to me. Do they not understand that the majority of Canadians identify as Christians, at least in terms of their heritage? (I do realize that there has been a steady decline of Christians as reported in the census, but my point still stands that most of this country at least have some Christians in their family trees, even if they are not self identified as Christians).

Trust me, the last thing I want in Canada is Deep South style IFB Christianity! :evil:

Bygrace3.blogspot.ca/ is an American missionary in BC, Canada. She wrote a super condescending post a couple of years ago about how lame Canada Day is compared to the 4th of July. Way to respect those you say you love, eh?

Oh, Canada!

Lousy lazy missionaries. They can't be arsed dealing with the discomfort and tropical diseases found in traditional missionary destinations but still want the glory so decide to spin a story about Christianity being practically obsolete up north. Twits.

You're not a real missionary until you're riddled with worms and malaria.

I consider it an honour to live in a country that "needs" fundie missionaries to convert the citizens. I've heard talk of sending missionaries to the UK too. (No idea why they ignore all of the other godless European countries). Though it seems kind of like wussing out a bit, like you want to keep up appearances and save souls and everything, but also really don't want to leave the "developed" world. (I'd rather they come here though. At least the population is slightly less vulnerable, on the whole.)

“We see the diversity and spiritual darkness, and we desire to be on the front lines of that.â€

That bit is particularly telling, and particularly gross.

Yeah, mission life in Vancouver must be really tough. :roll:

Mrs. Biblethumper should keep her "light" to herself.

They target the UK too. I found a blog the other week from an IFB couple who were missionaries in the UK. Somewhere down south in Devon. I think it was so brave of them to come here, especially to our crime ridden English Riviera... I mean they could have gone to Moss Side in Manchester, or maybe Tower Hamlets in London. But no, they chose Devon. Right.

Silly fundies. That darkness isn't Satan. That darkness is WINTER.

No it is the blinders they wear do they don't have to see the real world.

They target the UK too. I found a blog the other week from an IFB couple who were missionaries in the UK. Somewhere down south in Devon. I think it was so brave of them to come here, especially to our crime ridden English Riviera... I mean they could have gone to Moss Side in Manchester, or maybe Tower Hamlets in London. But no, they chose Devon. Right.

Hey, there are some pretty scary tractors in the West Country ;) along with some scary accents!

I saw an American fundie in Liverpool once. How I laughed.

Eh, I'm not deeply offended at all - just LMAO.

Then again, there's no Christianity in my family tree, and that would describe many of our friends as well. Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are not exactly Christian fundie hotspots, and we're multicultural. No kidding, Captain Obvious.

Eh, I'm not deeply offended at all - just LMAO.

Then again, there's no Christianity in my family tree, and that would describe many of our friends as well. Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are not exactly Christian fundie hotspots, and we're multicultural. No kidding, Captain Obvious.

He must be referring to the big Asian minority in Vancouver.

Anyway, in Montréal, francos are not interested in your religion. Some of the recent immigrants (particularly from Haiti) already have their churches (tongue speaking and all) and they don't need you.

What is so dark about Montréal? Anyway... they should work on having a strong community and work on their own christianity before going to tell anyone else how they are dark and non-christians.

:lol: Devon, why yes that hotbed of heathens. Good of them to pick one of the most beautiful, least populated, gorgeous places to live in the UK, shows such sacrifice on their part.

Send them to Glasgow :D

:lol: Devon, why yes that hotbed of heathens. Good of them to pick one of the most beautiful, least populated, gorgeous places to live in the UK, shows such sacrifice on their part.

Send them to Glasgow :D

Don't forget one of the safest and most conservative either. :lol:

Bizarrely, they have put their child in the local village primary school too. I'll try and find the link again.

I think I'm flattered at that. Shows that we don't accept that kind of fundie over here. The majority of Canadians do identify as Christian, but we don't have that kind of fundie so I suppose it doesn't count to these people. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are probably their worst nightmare, with how many different cultures we have, and how accepting we are of them all. I'd be surprised if they were seen as anything but crazy weirdos in any of these cities.

and

and

and

I should really read the rest of the thread before I comment, but I can't resist. Former Vancouverite, currently living in Montreal, two of the finest cities in which to live in Canada, in my opinion. I suppose the church bells that wake me up at 8:30 am every Sunday morning are some kind of delusion? I acknowledge that Montreal is pretty secular, but I count practicing Christians among my friends here, and certainly Quebec is pretty Catholic compared to the rest of Canada demographically. I won't even entertain the thought that these evangelical know-it-alls don't consider Catholics to be Christians.

Vancouver is even more secular than Montreal, in my opinion, but that's probably because you're way more likely to be friends with gay people, muslims, hindus, and atheists, and learn that it's possible that people of this description can be wonderful, so long as you aren't carrying the secret agenda of trying to convert them. I am not familiar with crossings church, and I left Vancouver in the summer of this year. But I personally wouldn't feel too comfortable to discover a new friend had invited me to a dinner party for the express purpose of winning me back to the fold of the church. Probably Vancouverites are just being friendly to these people without realizing that their "live and let live" ethos is not shared by their new friends, who have an ulterior motive.

Yeah, mission life in Vancouver must be really tough. :roll:

Mrs. Biblethumper should keep her "light" to herself.

yeah, all that yoga practicing, running on the sea wall, and avoiding breathing in pot smoke in when out in public places is a really trying way to live.

He must be referring to the big Asian minority in Vancouver.

What's interesting is that there are giant Chinese and Korean evangelical churches in downtown Vancouver and in the suburbs. I don't think there's a parallel South Asian Christian community (at least not of comparable scale). But a significant amount of Asians are Christian in Vancouver. so "Multicultural" as in "non-white" does not necessarily mean "non-Christian" in Vancouver.

I grew up with a woman who married a rising star in the fundie reformed Presbyterian church. He pastors several churches in the Newcastle upon Tyne area. Apparently the UK is crawling with US missionaries.

What's interesting is that there are giant Chinese and Korean evangelical churches in downtown Vancouver and in the suburbs. I don't think there's a parallel South Asian Christian community (at least not of comparable scale). But a significant amount of Asians are Christian in Vancouver. so "Multicultural" as in "non-white" does not necessarily mean "non-Christian" in Vancouver.

The same is true in Markham, a suburb of Toronto. There are massive Chinese evangelical churches, as well as Chinese Catholic churches.

The same is true in Markham, a suburb of Toronto. There are massive Chinese evangelical churches, as well as Chinese Catholic churches.

Pretty much all the evangelical Christians in all of Toronto are various variations of non-white. There are many Asian evangelical Christians, as well as black and hispanic. We don't really have any white evangelical Christians. Though I think by multicultural they mean accepting of all people whatever race, religion or sexual orientation. Though the version of fundies they are might get laughed at a little because they're totally a foreign concept here.

Pretty much all the evangelical Christians in all of Toronto are various variations of non-white. There are many Asian evangelical Christians, as well as black and hispanic. We don't really have any white evangelical Christians. Though I think by multicultural they mean accepting of all people whatever race, religion or sexual orientation. Though the version of fundies they are might get laughed at a little because they're totally a foreign concept here.

As a white person married to an evangelical, I disagree. My suburb is mostly white and full of mostly white evangelical churches, as is true in many GTA suburbs.

Your general point, that evangelical churches tend to be segregated based on race/culture, is certainly true though. :)

This is hilarious. I had an Evangelical friend who went on a mission to France. It looked very harrowing, all that sight-seeing and food-tasting (wine-tasting too, she was no Duggar). But of course, now the French are just as much of an unenlightened horde as those backwards non-white people we've been saving from themselves for centuries. :roll:

I was aware of American Evangelism spreading North, and of Americans coming here to spread it (I've been trapped and proselytized to by more Americans than Canadians at this point), but I always assumed they were just here on invitation by Canadian Evangelicals, and that Canada was absorbing this part of American culture like we do so many others. I didn't realize there was a conscious effort to save us :pray:

ETA Evangelical churches have a scary presence in suburbs. And this is in Ontario, I hear it's worse in Alberta.

Yeah, I think you're right in your assessment of what they probably mean by multicultural or "diverse," intended in a not exactly positive sense, as it's followed immediately by the phrase "spiritual darkness." And religious fundamentalists are extremely rare in Vancouver. (I've never met a religious fundie personally in Vancouver, though in recent years I've seen a lot more women on the street wearing face-covering hijab, so some people with fundamentalist beliefs are definitely there. I probably wouldn't know if someone was a Christian fundamentalist unless I spoke with them about religion, but given Vancouver's high cost of living and generally secular attitudes, I doubt too many Christian fundamentalists would live there). The towns in the lower mainland 100km or so from Vancouver are filled with mainstream evangelicals, alongside large numbers of people of other faiths, like sikhism, for example.

This is hilarious. I had an Evangelical friend who went on a mission to France. It looked very harrowing, all that sight-seeing and food-tasting (wine-tasting too, she was no Duggar). But of course, now the French are just as much of an unenlightened horde as those backwards non-white people we've been saving from themselves for centuries. :roll:

I was aware of American Evangelism spreading North, and of Americans coming here to spread it (I've been trapped and proselytized to by more Americans than Canadians at this point), but I always assumed they were just here on invitation by Canadian Evangelicals, and that Canada was absorbing this part of American culture like we do so many others. I didn't realize there was a conscious effort to save us :pray:

ETA Evangelical churches have a scary presence in suburbs. And this is in Ontario, I hear it's worse in Alberta.

Southern Alberta is full of heathen Mormons, y'know.

And before missionizing in Quebec, you'd think these bozos might have read up on the Quiet Revolution and what preceded it. But probably not. I bet they don't even speak French!

Archived