IGNORED

We're in the lead! (Kim C pushes pro-life clinic)

Hisey

Kim C and her husband Perry have been shamelessly begging, pleading, bribing and pushing their readers to vote in the "Cultivate Wines" charity giveaway. They want the pro-life clinic The Morning Center to win the $50,000 grand prize. They could give a hoot about the other charity, Reece's Rainbow, that helps orphans with disabilities to find homes. (never mind that there is a biblical commandment to help orphans, and no biblical mention of prenatal care).

http://www.cultivatewines.com/give

Well, the Coughlins and their fundie friends have been winning their fight--the Morning Center has been ahead as much as 500 votes, and I'd pretty much given up. Then today, Reece's Rainbow started shooting ahead, closing the gap. Sometimes they were only 17 or so votes from first place. If you kept reloading the page, the vote would change every time.

At last, this evening, Reece's Rainbow pulled into the lead. I enjoy Perry's sad little comment about it on his Facebook page. But the race isn't over yet. If you share my disgust for prolife clinics masquarading as "pre-natal care clinics", then give Reece's Rainbow your vote. They are the only other charity that has a chance to win, so voting for anyone else is like voting for a third-party presidential candidate.

While I hope to see a different group "win", the pro-life center will still be receiving $5,000:

The top 3 organizations will win $5,000 each, the three causes in 2nd = $4,000 each, 3 in 3rd = $3,000 each, 3 in 4th = $2,000, 3 in 5th = $1,000 each.

I didn't realise you could vote daily! I'll be doing so until the competition closes. There's just something so neat about disappointing a fundie.

I got a fb message from a friend asking me to vOte for the anti choice clinic. One of the things she stressed was the fact they didn't perform evil abortions.

Ok I voted, but I found it a little depressing that the charities that deal with sustainability, bullying, and micro development are running so far behind orphans, dogs, and evangelical pre natal care. Not that they don't all do great work, but we do seem to like our charity cute and/or furry.

Ok I voted, but I found it a little depressing that the charities that deal with sustainability, bullying, and micro development are running so far behind orphans, dogs, and evangelical pre natal care. Not that they don't all do great work, but we do seem to like our charity cute and/or furry.

If I didn't know the awful conditions that kids with special needs are subjected to, I'd be all over that anti-bullying one. Those programs are SO important!

Kim C and her husband Perry have been shamelessly begging, pleading, bribing and pushing their readers to vote in the "Cultivate Wines" charity giveaway. They want the pro-life clinic The Morning Center to win the $50,000 grand prize. They could give a hoot about the other charity, Reece's Rainbow, that helps orphans with disabilities to find homes. (never mind that there is a biblical commandment to help orphans, and no biblical mention of prenatal care).

http://www.cultivatewines.com/give

Well, the Coughlins and their fundie friends have been winning their fight--the Morning Center has been ahead as much as 500 votes, and I'd pretty much given up. Then today, Reece's Rainbow started shooting ahead, closing the gap. Sometimes they were only 17 or so votes from first place. If you kept reloading the page, the vote would change every time.

At last, this evening, Reece's Rainbow pulled into the lead. I enjoy Perry's sad little comment about it on his Facebook page. But the race isn't over yet. If you share my disgust for prolife clinics masquarading as "pre-natal care clinics", then give Reece's Rainbow your vote. They are the only other charity that has a chance to win, so voting for anyone else is like voting for a third-party presidential candidate.

I don't know how you could be sad to see an organization that helps special needs orphans get the care they need. I have some high school classmates trying to adopt a little girl with downs syndrome from the Ukraine and its super expensive, like down payment on a house expensive.

While I hope to see a different group "win", the pro-life center will still be receiving $5,000:

Those are actually the awards for the 4th quarter vote; the current voting is for 3rd quarter. (Their website's a little confusing on that, I had to read it twice before I noticed.) If I'm reading the page right, for this quarter 1st place gets $50,000 and the 5 runners-up get $10,000 each.

It's become a voting war at this point, hasn't it?

Same happened in Canada when Kandace Hagen, a PEI activist, was competing against other causes for funding for her campaign to bring abortion access to her province. The contest was called Active-8, and to vote you just had to submit your name and a comment on why you supported the cause you were voting for. At least on this one you can't vote hundreds of times from the same computer and get away with it...totally not still butthurt over that... The judges decided to award both candidates the prize money, but it's frustrating that pro-lifers were voting under obviously false names with generic copy-pasted comments, as if they wanted the person whose cause they were voting for (adults with developmental disabilities, if I remember correctly) to know that they didn't actually support their cause. Kandace was winning by quite a bit in the hours before the midnight cutoff, but her opponent's vote count mysteriously shot up so that she was winning by a handful of votes at the cutoff. The organizers weren't as stupid as the spammers expected, thankfully. My partner found it hard to believe that someone who thinks they have the moral high ground would cheat that obviously, until I reminded him that some people literally believe that you can save "babies" by blocking abortion access. :roll:

I wonder if the people organizing these competing charities things realize that their contest will be highjacked by the abortion debate when they accept such controversial candidates. Not that I don't encourage everyone with a useable facebook account to vote those fuckers down, but these things get predictable.

I recall something similar happening with the recent incarnation of Lilith Fair when they had a charity contest of some kind. One of the charities nominated was a CPC. I think the Lilith Fair organizers ended up removing it from the running once they found out that it conflicted with their mission and values.

I have a few friends who adopted via Reeces Rainbow.. I hope they win.. I do think that Kim mentioned on her blog that she would be happy if Reeces Rainbow won.

I shared on Facebook and hope you all will too... Reece's Rainbow is an amazing cause, even if Kim C's stupid cause wasn't a part of the voting.

I will also share on Facebook. I hope Reece's Rainbow wins. There were few other charities that I liked such as that literacy training program.

I noticed Patricia Heaton was heavily pushing Reece's Rainbow too. Odd, because she's outspoken about being pro-life. Anyway, maybe it helped.

This stuff was posted on the other thread about this vote, but I think it bears repeating. If you read the website for the Morning Center, it has gems like:

Morning Center provides free full-service prenatal and maternity care to women in urban and underserved areas, in a manner that demonstrates and testifies to the love of Christ and presents His saving grace. Every woman and community we serve receives the highest quality care, as if we are serving Jesus, and each staff member is as concerned about a woman’s spiritual needs as her maternity needs.

We believe a woman’s body has been perfectly designed by God for birth and in normal circumstances a baby can be born with no medical intervention.

Oh, yeah, perfectly designed for birth, except for all those times that it's not. It was only in the last few decades that childbirth ceased to be the number 1 killer of women and infants. That's exactly the kind of attitude I want to see from the people who claim they want to provide me with prenatal and L&D care :roll:

And apparently RC Sproul Jr. (or one of his minions) is reading here, and posted this on FB the other day:

Discovered yesterday that a group of women are voting for our nearest competitor less because they have a passion to help those with Down syndrome, but because they hate Christians who love the unborn. That's just ugly. Beauty, however, will be the babies saved and the souls won through the ministry of The Morning Center. Please vote, share, and do so daily until the end of the month.

He flat-out calls it a ministry, and admits that their mission is saving babies and winning souls. Sorry, Sproul, but hiding your religious manipulation behind a smokescreen of free medical care for vulnerable people is about as ugly as it gets.

I find it amazing that the Coughlins can shamelessly make this into a political issue. There are so many worthy charities on this list! Including the one for disabled orphans. How can fetuses be so much more important?! Aren't the disenfranchised women and girls in Africa worthy of a mention? Can't they even say, "Well, it's a tough choice because of all the worthy charities on the list, but .. . "

I find it amazing that the Coughlins can shamelessly make this into a political issue. There are so many worthy charities on this list! Including the one for disabled orphans. How can fetuses be so much more important?! Aren't the disenfranchised women and girls in Africa worthy of a mention? Can't they even say, "Well, it's a tough choice because of all the worthy charities on the list, but .. . "

They're probably getting a kickback or some sort of discount from Scamaritan Ministries, since they run the Morning Center. Or else they're just hoping for additional referrals from readers. Every new family that they refer to SM means that they pay less for their "insurance" coverage.

KimC had her baby, but I haven't dragged myself over to her page to see if it was born on a chicken poop-covered porch, or if Perry the graceful dropped it.

Hey San Antonio FJites, you need to give us a report on Kim and Perry's new digs, whether it's a nice neighborhood, appropriate for chickens, etc.

Archived