IGNORED

VF and pearls

rock_girl

Somewhat off topic, but who are these Verrets? Blog please?

ETA: Oh, wait, here we are. They even have a picture of Michelle with a pearl bracelet on, extolling the glories of TTC.

And that womb-man lady, also in pearls.

http://theblessingoflife.blogspot.com/

I just went to that address and it says it's been removed. Already? That was pretty quick, and this isn't even a terribly active thread.

Here in the South, we tend to wear them with anything...and I mean anything. In particular, I have a Mikimoto pearl and diamond ring that I will even wear with sweatpants. It's also a very sentimental piece from my grandmother, which is probably the biggest reason it goes where I go. It was the last of my grandmother's "good" jewelry that was left after their home was broken into.

I bought a long strand of fake pearls recently. I shave my head (though this time I left a mohawk) and I thought the combination of really unfeminine hair and pearls would be fun. Plus, I'm the first to admit, I love some really tacky looking stuff. I doubt anyone will confuse me for a VFer.

I love pearls, they have a great vintage vibe, and I'm assuming that is what these girls are going for (esp Beall's girls, they look like they live for vintage stuff!).

As someone who went to college in the South and joined a sorority, pearls with a bummy t-shirt and jeans were definitely a thing. I still like pearl earrings, but necklaces and bracelets are harder to wear.

I also did cotillion, but we didn't get gifts out of it. And all the boys told me that they would not dance with me, so I danced with this one boy who was told by all the other girls that they wouldn't dance with him, and it was a sad and terrible time. The cotillion teacher and my mom were friends, and they thought we had become a cute junior high couple, but really we'd been outcast from the rest of the group. It probably would have been more bearable if we'd become friends and it had been us against the world, but instead we reminded each other of what failures we were in the social hierarchy, so it was a resentful pairing. Anyway, there are worse things than not going to cotillion.

In Tudor/Elizabethan times the pearl represented purity and virginity, the VFers may be picking up on that too.

I spent 15 years working for a major accessory chain -stopping just last year - and the items with pearls in them were bought by people for pretty much just two occasions: weddings and less often, proms.

The problem is with pearls is that they look lovely when they are real. When they are not real, they just look tacky. Which is why all those in the pictures just look like people trying really hard.

Pearls are my birthstone (I'm pearls and roses...don't get much more classic than that). I lost the pendant I got from my Dad on my 21st, but still have the studs, plus a second set of studs in case I double up. I have a 20" strand of 8mm and the "floating" look that was big 10 years ago. I think those are more in the 6-7mm range. They are sitting in their respective boxes gathering dust. I almost NEVER wear necklaces and if I do, I am more of putting a pendant (silver, tourquoise, amber) on a silver or steel chain.

TBH, I live in a community with a big retirement community down the street (MIL lives there) and even THEY aren't big into pearls when they dress up; we've been there for a couple holiday meals since we're the only ones left in the immediate area and I don't have time to cook huge meals for just 3.

The biddies around here tend to have some really cool mid-century pieces, both necklaces and pins, some with stones (could be real, could be costume), others are really cool sculptural pieces that I covet. The MIL wears pearl studs sometimes, but typically just favors round gold studs and a simple cross or pendant on yellow gold chains.

It must have to do with where you came from (unless you were a monied WASP from the Northeast...think Jackie Kennedy or Barbara Bush and their triple-strands. Sure, the ones Bar wears now are fake but you KNOW she has the real ones stashed away for special occasions. I imagine Caroline got Jackie's set (they were either Tiffany or Cartier, IIRC).

My grandmother bought all 6 of the granddaughters in my family pearl necklaces for their 12th birthdays. The boys all got cufflinks for their 12th.

I thought I was hot stuff when I got mine. I lost the necklace in a move when I was 16 though, and I was pretty bummed about it. They were super nice pearls too. They are a pretty common sight around here, but usually the fake ones.

My grandmother bought all 6 of the granddaughters in my family pearl necklaces for their 12th birthdays. The boys all got cufflinks for their 12th.

I thought I was hot stuff when I got mine. I lost the necklace in a move when I was 16 though, and I was pretty bummed about it. They were super nice pearls too. They are a pretty common sight around here, but usually the fake ones.

Nice pearls are competitively priced these days, thanks to vendors who have a relationship with the farmers and wholesalers, purchase directly and sell via the internet. Not sure if it's ok to post links here, but one of my favourite companies (no personal connection, save for the fact that they've made a fortune off me over the years) has great value akoyas (salt water, perfectly round, beautiful lustre; probably what you received from your grandmother) if you want to replace your strand. I'd be happy to pm you their link.

Right now I'm stalking their natural gold akoya range. Atm, it's the closest I'm getting to naturally gold pearls until I convince one of my relatives I'm worth the golden south sea strand I've been coveting for the past 18 months :violin:.

Ok, I'm gonna play the adolescent male here. "Pearl necklace" anyone (and please don't make me explain that)

:lol: To be honest that's my first thought as well. I am evidently a 12yo boy :oops:

:lol: To be honest that's my first thought as well. I am evidently a 12yo boy :oops:

Things I learn on the webs!

Ok, to the original topic, ;). You have piqued my interest in learning more about jewelry pearls!

And for fun, I'm gonna start wearing my faux-pearls everywhere, like I used to wear the gold chains in the '80s.

VF has hijacked my faith, they're not gonna intimidate me away from wearing pearls [sic] with jeans, everything!!

Ha HA I'm such a pitiful rebel. :)

Ok, I'm gonna play the adolescent male here. "Pearl necklace" anyone (and please don't make me explain that)

You people make me google the strangest thing, next time please post a "not-work-appropriate"-warning ;)

Archived