IGNORED

The Phillips family's rather random trip to England

Pclee

That's not first class, or even business. (I've flown both, thanks to cashing in frequent flier miles.) And I'd be surprised if it were economy with extra legroom, based on how close they are to the seats in front of them.

Hay-on-Wye is pretty awesome. Wigtown isn't bad either (the Scottish equivalent). You all should come over and we'll do a UK FJcon.

If I didn't know better and was just looking at these pictures without knowing the fundie background, I would probably just think this was the trip of some rich girls with their mother. All of them look pretty classy and their photos show expensive bags and shoes, and they all look pretty happy. I have the impression that the Phillips kids are pretty spoiled and they get to do things that none of the other fundie kids enjoy. Just like Beall gets to vote but none of the other fundie wives do. Sometimes, I think that the Phillips' just sell a nice story to the rest of the group so they can make money and live their rich, abundant lifestyle with nannies, trips to Europe, and lots of nice clothes.

That plane picture is ridiculous. Who wears a hat on a plane? Who wears that much jewellery? I used to fly a lot and I own a lot of pearls, and you couldn't pay me to wear an 18" strand on a plane (well, I'm guessing Be All's is 20, but her neck's a bit bigger than mine). Just... irritating.

Do these people get dressed up to cram themselves into tiny seats and eat a few stale biscuits? Christ that's sad.

I wore a hat the last time I flew. (I then wore the same hat every day of vacation. My (prescription) sunglasses had gone missing just before we left, and the hat made being outdoors a lot more pleasant.) No jewelry, though.

I wore a hat the last time I flew. (I then wore the same hat every day of vacation. My (prescription) sunglasses had gone missing just before we left, and the hat made being outdoors a lot more pleasant.) No jewelry, though.

I'm the queen of hats. I wear them every second I'm outdoors and all through cloudy, grey winters (hey, you can still get burnt!) but even I draw the line at hats on a plane.

Not snakes though.

• 5 weeks later...
England looks so boring from their perspective. I do often wonder why tourists want to come here. Seriously, they took a picture of 'A sword similar to that which Lord Cardigan would have worn during the Charge of the Light Brigade'. Really? How is that the memory that you want to take home with you? "I saw something similar to a historical prop!" After that there are pictures of gates, pictures of fields, and a small town high street. Cripes, we're dull!

*raises hand guiltily* I admit that the first thing I thought, seeing the pics of the field, was "why on earth would you photograph that?". Then I remembered 14 year-old me visiting the UK for the first time, and an embarrassing series of photos that show fields, pastures and hedges. At the time, it was ZOMG, so different from home!!!11! So, I can't snark on them too much for that, since I'm guilty as charged. After living in the UK for more than a decade, I understand your sentiments though. Love it here, but I have long stopped taking pictures of random fields.

Meanwhile, the military history geek inside me is crying over bad pictures, and in fear of what Doug Phillips is a tool, might do to the Crimean War while dressing up. :cry:

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/11/10458/ <-- he mentions that he took "100 Americans this year on a journey to Scrooby, England, and the little manor house where the Pilgrim congregation was birthed." Could it have been part of that?

I love the UK, I've been all over the country and always enjoy going back, but that sounds like a mighty boring trip...

I can't be the only one who, seeing that photo of Beall holding the pink vase, thought for a moment that it was a bong.

The real question is, does England know that Doug Phillips is a tool?

Dammit, Al! I'm sorry he sent fundies over to your side of the pond, Mr. Kirkland. I don't know what's gotten into him lately. ignore my Hetalia reference... :doh:

Archived