IGNORED

Ungodly pumpkins

BelieveinScience

I'm friends with a fundie lite (I guess youd call her that) and she posted about how she didn't like halloween decorations and they spoiled her walks etc.. Someone responded saying "Last year, the boys wanted to know what a jack o'lantern was... I told them (for lack of anything more original) it was an "ungodly pumpkin." This year, any venturings-out in public are accompanied by unusually loud and clear declarations of "Look, Mommy! Annover ungodly pumpkin!"

Call me stupid, but how does a face on a pumpkin make it ungodly?

And what makes a pumpkin "godly" to begin with?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good questions. :think: When you get an answer could you share it with me please?

I know the story behind the Jack-O-Lanterns but other than that I haven't got a clue.

When I was in Christian school they told us that the evil faces carved into pumpkins represented demons. We were allowed to carve pumpkins but they had to be joyful. Of course they also didnt like Christmas trees and one of my classmates families went so far as to put up a giant cross at Christmas to put their gifts under. They were a bit loony.

I want to know how Halloween decorations spoil your friend's walks. Does she not realize the monsters are fake or something?

Good questions. :think: When you get an answer could you share it with me please?

I know the story behind the Jack-O-Lanterns but other than that I haven't got a clue.

I'm so tempted to ask why its considered ungodly.

When I was in Christian school they told us that the evil faces carved into pumpkins represented demons. We were allowed to carve pumpkins but they had to be joyful. Of course they also didnt like Christmas trees and one of my classmates families went so far as to put up a giant cross at Christmas to put their gifts under. They were a bit loony.

You should have carved an angry Christmas tree into the pumpkin :twisted:

This needs to be made a post count status or something. I wanna be an 'Ungodly Pumpkin.' :lol:

Me too! If I didn't already have a title in mind whenever the next round of donations happens, I'd be arm-wrestlng you for this one. :lol:

The tradition of the jack o lantern I am farmilar with comes from my Scottish heritage.

The other world(s) spirits traveled this world on Halloween. Jack o lanterns were carved to distract or trap the spirits thus protecting the house and it's inhabitants from harm. The spirits the jack o lanterns trapped were viewed as mischievous or evil. In some Christian communities, the tradition morphed. They started thinking of jack o lanterns as being houses of evil or evil themselves.

There were no jack o lanterns allowed at my Christian school. A classmate had jack o lantern earrings in newly pierced ears and they made her put band aids over them. We were seven just young Satan worshipers.

"Ungodly Pumpkins" sounds like what will happen if you don't read and follow the advice in Raising Godly Tomatoes :lol: Raise those godly tomatoes or they might turn into ungodly pumpkins!!!!!!

I'm sure any fundies in my neighborhood hate me. I've got evil pumpkins & skulls all over my front porch. I do hope I spoil someone's walk! :evil:

"Ungodly Pumpkins" sounds like what will happen if you don't read and follow the advice in Raising Godly Tomatoes :lol: Raise those godly tomatoes or they might turn into ungodly pumpkins!!!!!!

If you see me carrying my jack o lantern with me, don't worry. He is just tomato staked. I must keep him by my side constantly. I must not let my jack o lantern be ungodly.

Guest Anonymous

Well, duh, an ungodly pumpkin represents fun and a godly one represents a woman in the kitchen making pies from it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm so tempted to ask why its considered ungodly.

Don't feel pressured to as you'll have to face the repercussions of asking, but if you do please share the answer with us. I'm carving pumpkins this weekend - I wanna know how to make them as ungodly as possible.

I'm friends with a fundie lite (I guess youd call her that) and she posted about how she didn't like halloween decorations and they spoiled her walks etc.. Someone responded saying "Last year, the boys wanted to know what a jack o'lantern was... I told them (for lack of anything more original) it was an "ungodly pumpkin." This year, any venturings-out in public are accompanied by unusually loud and clear declarations of "Look, Mommy! Annover ungodly pumpkin!"

I...what is this I don't even.

Why not just say "It's a pumpkin that some people carve into funny shapes" if you don't want to get into the backstory? And if you wanted to discourage the kids from asking to do it themselves, you could say "Some people like it but in our family we don't think it's right to do that. The pumpkin could be scary and we don't think that makes God happy." Or "pleases God" for older kids.

Hell, they should try explaining things to Small. Why do men have nipples, was a question which troubled her for ages. (To be honest, I'm not sure about this myself.)

Picture of a tragic pumpkin abortion (won't someone think of the baybeez?):

20101013-pumpkinseeds-500.jpg

Those heathen pumpkins, living a lifestyle of sin and defrauding casual walkers... :naughty:

I raised 12 pumpkins of my own this year and now have a quiverfull of pumpkins. They are currently in the shed lined up in order of size.

Archived