IGNORED

Rape Is Something God Intended

Witsec7

He can't in the same breath say that God doesn't want rape to happen, but when it does and a child is conceived it is God's will. That defies logic.

Oh, wait. I'm talking about a conservative Republican candidate. All logic goes out the window.

He can't in the same breath say that God doesn't want rape to happen, but when it does and a child is conceived it is God's will. That defies logic.

Oh, wait. I'm talking about a conservative Republican candidate. All logic goes out the window.

QFT.

Also we must remember the only legitimate rape is stranger rape since by being acquainted with a male means you probably consented even if you said no. And honestly, even stranger rape is iffy since you were probably wearing something that exposed your knees and are an evil temptress. A baby is just a punishment for your sin.

OMG must shower. Feel gross.

I am fortunate that when I decided I wanted to get pregnant, I had no fertility issues. I do have relatives and friends who did not have/are not having as easy a time as I did trying to conceive. One friend could not bear to see me during my pregnancy because it was a reminder to her of the trouble she was having, and now that my son's been born, she still hasn't been able to visit me. All that to say, following this politician's line of reasoning, if God had that woman raped because that baby needed to be created, couldn't he have instead had, say, my friend who's been trying to conceive for going on three years now and her husband conceive that baby instead? I'd imagine that hearing stuff like, "God intended the raped woman to become pregnant!" is a slap in the face to couples having trouble conceiving on their own. I mean, couldn't God let that fetus be conceived under non-traumatic circumstances?

edited to clarify a murky sentence

QFT.

I voted against this idiot in the Indiana primaries and I'll be voting against him again in the general election. *Sigh* I'm still scratching my head as to how he got onto the ballot in the first place (well, maybe not - this is not one of the more progressive states in the nation). What an asshole.

I just read about this guy on WaPo. It's like some people want to be seen as sooooo prolife that they try to make up reasons for why abortion should never take place. Ok, I get that alot of people object to abortions. However, if your platform (i.e Tea Party) is based on the idea of smaller government, less gov't interventions, and personal liberty, why would you want to restrict abortions? People should carry and conceal weapon anywhere and everywhere because it's not the gov't business but the gov't must have intimate knowledge of what a woman's uterus?

What really upsets me is because rape/incest victims are considered "blameless", some try to minimize the rape-pregnancy connection by saying crap like it doesn't happen "that often" or it's the women's fault anyway. You know, to make it sound like it *is* the victim's fault. It's a new one to hear that a rape victim was meant to carry her rapist child, endure a 9 months reminder of her rape and go through the physical trauma of an unwanted pregnancy and delivery. I guess people have to justify stupid.

I know that some prolifers truly see life beginning at conception, and see abortion as termination of that life but I also think some people see abortion as a threat to female subordination. To them, female reproduction and sexuality should be controlled and a women who don't know her place should be punished. Abortion is seen as a way for wayward women to escape punishment for deviant behavior. Pregnancy is a reward for married women and a punishment for single women. Abortion disrupts that logic by allowing women to "get away" with "illicit" sex. And that is ultimate horror to these fundies.....

One of my best friends used birth control every sexual encounter she had *except one* and conceived on that. She aborted it and told me apologetically but without regret. (She knows that I am pro-choice but that I hope that abortion will be rare.)

That was a good 25 years ago and a few years back I asked her if she'd ever had the guilt that the ultra-conservatives swear happens. She said calmly, "Never." She knew she didn't want to procreate, ever, and she did what was legal and right for her. The "post-traumatic stress" that supposedly is universally felt became a fairy tale to me right then and there.

The bolded is exactly what I figured out the ultra-conservative Lutherans (specifically, Todd Wilken of "Issues, Etc." and his guests) were telling me when they said every fetus was sacred - even if conceived by rape - and that women are blessed and special not to be expected to be pastors, and that not every man is meant to be a pastor but every woman is meant to be a wife and mother!, and .... you get the drift. It isn't about life, it's about authority and "the order of creation -- the one that benefits us men!"

It was listening to those far-righters that got me thinking outside the box, instead of just nodding and agreeing with them because they were pastors and they were Lutheran so they had good hearts and scholarship and knew the Bible way better than I ever could, so they must be right. So I am grateful that they bawled out their women-hating words, because they made me think.

I am fortunate that when I decided I wanted to get pregnant, I had no fertility issues. I do have relatives and friends who did not have/are not having as easy a time as I did trying to conceive. One friend could not bear to see me during my pregnancy because it was a reminder to her of the trouble she was having, and now that my son's been born, she still hasn't been able to visit me. All that to say, following this politician's line of reasoning, if God had that woman raped because that baby needed to be created, couldn't he have instead had, say, my friend who's been trying to conceive for going on three years now and her husband conceive that baby instead? I'd imagine that hearing stuff like, "God intended the raped woman to become pregnant!" is a slap in the face to couples having trouble conceiving on their own. I mean, couldn't God let that fetus be conceived under non-traumatic circumstances?

My children who are to date inexplicably infertile asked me how I could still believe that God has a plan, and that everything happens for a reason, when crackheads and Snooki have no trouble conceiving. They offered as their personal beliefs that there probably is a god but that life is random, and there's no real reason to pray. IOW, a major blow to their lifelong spiritual beliefs, but I have to begin to acknowledge that they have a point. A hideous, merciless rape can produce a baby but the love of two married, committed people can't? The point for this discussion (I promise it isn't all about me and mine, heh) is that the ultra-nuts who proclaim pregnancy-by-rape something God-ordained and precious are about as sure of God as my kids are. The difference is that the ultras are using their positions of power to invoke "God" as further evidence that they belong in authority, because they speak for God.

I know an adopted guy who forced himself on women. I've often wondered if he was the child of a rapist. Think about that, ultras.

The italicized is a whale of a good argument against the small-government folks who want to govern women out of personhood. I lean toward libertarianism and smaller government (more private efforts at community help) but I am no tea partier, never could be.

The rant is ended, I'm logging off now to save bandwidth! LOL :shhh:

I'm in the same frame of mind as all of you. When I read about this guy last night I was stunned by his perverse idea of a god. So a loving, devoted couple who have been trying for years cannot get pregnant but 14 year old who has been raped and may face years of shame, may even be thrown out of the house by her parents, god gives her a baby? Who is this misanthropic god? Why do people worship him? I expect to hear any day now that this new version of the Christian god is demanding blood sacrifices, starting with gays.

just waiting for some rapist to use this as a defense

'hey, I was an instrument of God, I enacted his will in carrying out the rape'

seriously, this man is standing for election? and people are actually still considering still voting for him?

On the other side of this, there is a bill in Pa. that will deny additional food stamp benefits to a woman who has a child while receiving TANF benefits unless she proves she was raped.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/10 ... its-raped/

I know that extra TANF (cash aid) benefits are denied to women who have an additional child while on aid, this has been happening even in liberal California since welfare reform but food stamps were never effected. Now they want to take food out of the mouths of children who had no choice about what families that they were born into.

Of course now he's saying that he didn't mean that the rape was God's intention, just the pregnancy.

To which Rachel Maddow said something like (I wish I could remember it exactly): "So . . . God just comes along . . . at some point . . . during the rape?" :shock:

edited because I just heard it again, and wrote it down. The exact quote was:

"God. . . arrives . . . I guess . . . once the rape is underway, and then decides you should get pregnant from it."

With that wonderful "are they fucking kidding me?" expression on her face.

That pretty much nails how bizarre the thinking of these assholes is.

"I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize life is that gift from God. I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

Oh gee, I'm so glad that you struggled with yourself for a long time- after all, you must have been very concerned about what might happen in your... Uterus... Wait.

On the other side of this, there is a bill in Pa. that will deny additional food stamp benefits to a woman who has a child while receiving TANF benefits unless she proves she was raped.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/10 ... its-raped/

I know that extra TANF (cash aid) benefits are denied to women who have an additional child while on aid, this has been happening even in liberal California since welfare reform but food stamps were never effected. Now they want to take food out of the mouths of children who had no choice about what families that they were born into.

Wow, you don't often see women being blatantly punished for carrying their pregnancies to term. That's horrid. I hope fundies are protesting this, even though they can't be arsed about poor single mothers in general.

Mitt has not officially withdrawn support from this guy but John McCain just came out requesting an apology from Mourdock.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Wednesday night he will no longer support Richard Mourdock, unless the Indiana Senate candidate apologizes for his recent comments on rape.

"I think it depends on what he does," McCain told CNN's Anderson Cooper, when asked if he still counts himself among Mourdock's supporters. "If he apologizes and says he misspoke and he was wrong and he asks the people to forgive him, then obviously I’d be the first. ... But, you know, in the years that I’ve been around, I’ve made a few, Anderson, and I’ve asked for people's understanding and forgiveness when I won't -- when I own up to it," he continued. "It’s when you don't own up to it when people will not believe you."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/2 ... 13217.html

Mitt has not officially withdrawn support from this guy but John McCain just came out requesting an apology from Mourdock.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/2 ... 13217.html

"I misspoke" is not a get out of jail free card. As far as I'm concerned, that phrasing indicates a refusal to take responsibility for the words that come out fo your mouth. It's like apologizing for your words when it's really the thought process behind those words that is offensive. How hard is it to say "I said a really terrible thing, but I realize now that I was wrong." Those words would show me that you have reevaluated your position, rather than just apologizing for vocalizing that position. But then again, we're talking about politicians here. It's pretty much in their job description not to own up to ever having had a shitty position on anything.

Colbert was brilliant last night. After resetting the "days since last rape reference by a Republican candidate" scorecard, he basically said he was going to give the Republican candidates some advice: Grab a pencil and listen. Women have the vote now, and rape does not have support among women voters. So, the next time you are about to mention rape, take that pencil and jam it into your eye, twirl it around until it gets to that part of your brain that feels compelled to discuss rape.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, and now his precious little feelings are hurt.

You know what, asshole? You are a wildly privileged son of a gun if saying some stupid shit and getting called out for it is the worst thing that's ever happened to you. I'm sure you think a little thing like being raped and impregnated against your will, and then being denied an abortion would never compare to your super serious man pain. Go step on all the Legos, forever.

CARMEL, Ind. — An emotional Richard Mourdock told fellow Republicans here that this “has been one of the toughest days of my life†as the GOP Senate candidate acknowledged creating “quite a firestorm†from his controversial comments on rape and abortion.

“Today has not been a fun day,†a teary-eyed Mourdock told a private dinner meeting of the Hamilton County Republican Party. “Professionally, emotionally, it’s been one of the toughest days of my life quite frankly.â€

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/10 ... z2AKVWA3O1

I can't with this today. Cry more, Mourdock. I sincerely hope he has to do his crying at his damn house and not from a seat in the Senate.

Oh, and now his precious little feelings are hurt.

You know what, asshole? You are a wildly privileged son of a gun if saying some stupid shit and getting called out for it is the worst thing that's ever happened to you. I'm sure you think a little thing like being raped and impregnated against your will, and then being denied an abortion would never compare to your super serious man pain. Go step on all the Legos, forever.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/10 ... z2AKVWA3O1

I can't with this today. Cry more, Mourdock. I sincerely hope he has to do his crying at his damn house and not from a seat in the Senate.

So what exactly were all of us meanies misinterpreting here?

His stance on abortion in cases of rape? Nope, he opposes it.

His belief that every conception is intended by God, even when it results from rape? Nope, that's exactly what he said.

The fact that he somehow forgot that in the 21st century there are modern recording devices, modern media including the internet which allow your words to go viral, and that women have the vote? That seems to be the most likely explanation.

An apology means nothing if it doesn't indicate an actual change of heart and action. "I just heard the stories of thousands of women, I realized just how harsh my position was and am now convinced that I need to change my stance on abortion" would be an apology. "Hey, I'm really sad that I had to face the consequences of my actions, and I'm sorry that you heard exactly what I said and called me on it instead of ignoring it or putting some mythical position spin on it" is not an apology.

God the biggest failure in bc ever devised. He lets children be born to people who can't support them and they starve to death to parents that torture rape and exploit them. Lets children raped by family get pregnant with twins that will kill them.

God you suck at bc

“Today has not been a fun day,†a teary-eyed Mourdock told a private dinner meeting of the Hamilton County Republican Party. “Professionally, emotionally, it’s been one of the toughest days of my life quite frankly.â€

This is just napalm grade, concentrated and refined arseholeish-ness!

a self pity fest from a man who can somehow feel no empathy or compassion for victims of rape

hey, maybe god intended it not to be such a fun day for you

try to take something good out of this tragedy

“Someone getting pregnant through rape simply means biology continues to function,†Reese said. “That doesn’t mean God wills it.

“If we look at the Scriptures, we see a God who weeps with those going through pain, who is compassionate for those who suffer and condemns those who do injustice,†Reese said

CNN. Thank you for some sanity

Archived