IGNORED

Rape Is Something God Intended

Witsec7

Says Richard Mourdock, the latest in a long line of white male politicians who wish to redefine this crime.

Indiana GOP U.S. Senate candidate Richard Mourdock declared Tuesday night he opposes aborting pregnancies conceived in rape because "it is something that God intended to happen."

Debating Rep. Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.) in their final Senate race showdown, a questioner asked them and Libertarian candidate Andrew Horning to explain their views on abortion.

All three said they were anti-abortion. But Mourdock went the further, putting himself in territory near Missouri GOP Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin, the anti-abortion congressman who infamously asserted that women don't get pregnant from "legitimate rape."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/2 ... 07482.html

Willard had been funding his campaign but withdrew support and is naturally distancing himself. No surprise there.

ETA:

"The only exception I have to have an abortion is in the case of the life of the mother," said Mourdock, the Tea Party-backed state treasurer. "I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize life is that gift from God. I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

Funny how it's only "something God intended to happen" when it's convenient for them. 'Cause, you know, they'd never be like "meh, pregnant people wanting abortions is something God intended to happen, so let's not mess with the consequences of that."

Really, God allowed everything to happen. He allowed my dog to poop on the couch, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't clean it up.

First of all, Mr. Mourdock, as a white male (which is a position of privilege) in a position of privilege, you're hardly qualified to start defining what an aborton is or isn't, who should have access to one, etc., and it's equally as pompous to presume to speak for God. Not only that, but (I assume) having not ever been raped, you're in no position to judge what a person - a woman - should or shouldn't do under such circumstances. Pregnancy is a risk in and of itself. Not as bad as it used to be, granted, but complications still do arise. I'm sick of all these politicians thinking they have the right to decide how the rest of society should live. :evil:

Guest Anonymous

If this dude gets prostate cancer, it's because God intended it, so I hope he doesn't want any treatment for that.

I'm having a lot of "stop the planet, I want to get off" moments lately. This is one of them.

I just read about this guy on WaPo. It's like some people want to be seen as sooooo prolife that they try to make up reasons for why abortion should never take place. Ok, I get that alot of people object to abortions. However, if your platform (i.e Tea Party) is based on the idea of smaller government, less gov't interventions, and personal liberty, why would you want to restrict abortions? People should carry and conceal weapon anywhere and everywhere because it's not the gov't business but the gov't must have intimate knowledge of what a woman's uterus?

What really upsets me is because rape/incest victims are considered "blameless", some try to minimize the rape-pregnancy connection by saying crap like it doesn't happen "that often" or it's the women's fault anyway. You know, to make it sound like it *is* the victim's fault. It's a new one to hear that a rape victim was meant to carry her rapist child, endure a 9 months reminder of her rape and go through the physical trauma of an unwanted pregnancy and delivery. I guess people have to justify stupid.

I know that some prolifers truly see life beginning at conception, and see abortion as termination of that life but I also think some people see abortion as a threat to female subordination. To them, female reproduction and sexuality should be controlled and a women who don't know her place should be punished. Abortion is seen as a way for wayward women to escape punishment for deviant behavior. Pregnancy is a reward for married women and a punishment for single women. Abortion disrupts that logic by allowing women to "get away" with "illicit" sex. And that is ultimate horror to these fundies.....

I just read about this guy on WaPo. It's like some people want to be seen as sooooo prolife that they try to make up reasons for why abortion should never take place. Ok, I get that alot of people object to abortions. However, if your platform (i.e Tea Party) is based on the idea of smaller government, less gov't interventions, and personal liberty, why would you want to restrict abortions? People should carry and conceal weapon anywhere and everywhere because it's not the gov't business but the gov't must have intimate knowledge of what a woman's uterus?

What really upsets me is because rape/incest victims are considered "blameless", some try to minimize the rape-pregnancy connection by saying crap like it doesn't happen "that often" or it's the women's fault anyway. You know, to make it sound like it *is* the victim's fault. It's a new one to hear that a rape victim was meant to carry her rapist child, endure a 9 months reminder of her rape and go through the physical trauma of an unwanted pregnancy and delivery. I guess people have to justify stupid.

I know that some prolifers truly see life beginning at conception, and see abortion as termination of that life but I also think some people see abortion as a threat to female subordination. To them, female reproduction and sexuality should be controlled and a women who don't know her place should be punished. Abortion is seen as a way for wayward women to escape punishment for deviant behavior. Pregnancy is a reward for married women and a punishment for single women. Abortion disrupts that logic by allowing women to "get away" with "illicit" sex. And that is ultimate horror to these fundies.....

Which explains why anti-choice people feel the need to invent a reality in which people who have abortions are tormented with guilt - it's not because they think it's a good argument for why abortion should be banned (I mean think of it, it's a terrible argument), it's because they like to make believe that the world is their definition of fair.

I have no words. I'm waiting for someone to say rape should be decriminalized, because it seems the GOP politicians are doing their best to say the most outrageously misogynistic things about women.

Thing is: How many of them would be saying this if it was their wife? Or daughter? How many of these men would stand by their pregnant wife if their wife was pregnant by a rapist? I doubt the number is high!

I suppose God didn't "intend" it in cases when the woman's life is threatened...? Either that argument works for every case or it works for none.

I have no words. I'm waiting for someone to say rape should be decriminalized, because it seems the GOP politicians are doing their best to say the most outrageously misogynistic things about women.

^ this. I'm really scared of when it happens.

So god has a woman raped so they will get pregnant? or does he just use the opportunity to make a baby? I just love his god makes me want to convert. Lets take bets on how long it takes the duggers to support him.

All this, plus it's not just the pregnancy! That child they want to force a raped woman to have is forever a reminder of what happened to her. I just can't imagine. Not everyone would be able to ever treat that child the same, love it, bond with it, etc. If the woman is single, these same types of people will now be judging her as a single mother. If she's married, can you imagine a spouse that would be able to accept the child into their family? And if they still have no compassion for the mother, what do they think the quality of life would be like for that poor child?

Thing is: How many of them would be saying this if it was their wife? Or daughter? How many of these men would stand by their pregnant wife if their wife was pregnant by a rapist? I doubt the number is high!

I don't think these men think that far ahead. Most (if not all) of them probably have that 'it won't happen to me and mine' mentality.

So what's the purpose of god intending the rape of a woman that doesn't get pregnant? Just the usual power trip, with sexual debasement on the side?

I lived in Indiana for several years while going to grad school. While I didn't agree with Richard Lugar on everything, he wasn't batshit crazy misogynistic like this Mourdock fucker. I was sad that the tea party took Lugar out (especially since it looks like the Democrat in the race may not reap the benefit from the GOP nominating rancor).

And as other commenters have alluded, it's awfully convenient that the tenet of free will is rather - shall we say - flexibly interpreted and enforced in the fundie world view. God generally seems to want what powerful fundie men want, which is awfully convenient.

So what's the purpose of god intending the rape of a woman that doesn't get pregnant? Just the usual power trip, with sexual debasement on the side?

To punish her for cavorting about with the opposite sex or for dressing like she 'wanted' it, or for simply straying from her father's authority!

Sarcasm, of course. I actually felt sick typing that, but I don't think it's that far-fetched to these lunatics.

And as other commenters have alluded, it's awfully convenient that the tenet of free will is rather - shall we say - flexibly interpreted and enforced in the fundie world view. God generally seems to want what powerful fundie men want, which is awfully convenient.

Funny how God speaks to only prominent, wealthy, conservative white guys, for sure. Makes you wonder about religion on the whole, for sure.

Also, and OT, I am slightly east of the Creation Museum - are you close to Cincy? If so, that makes yet another FJer. We need a meetup.

To punish her for cavorting about with the opposite sex or for dressing like she 'wanted' it, or for simply straying from her father's authority!

Sarcasm, of course. I actually felt sick typing that, but I don't think it's that far-fetched to these lunatics.

To the bolded, I think that's right, and part of the "doesn't happen to me or mine" mentality. They think there are things you can do that encourage rape and things you can do that discourage rape, and encouraging it means dressing like a slut or the like.

Sad, but most likely true.

To the bolded, I think that's right, and part of the "doesn't happen to me or mine" mentality. They think there are things you can do that encourage rape and things you can do that discourage rape, and encouraging it means dressing like a slut or the like.

Sad, but most likely true.

Well every 'modesty guide' out there has some variation of the "don't advertise it, if it's not on the menu," or "when you dress immodestly you make guys think you are available for sex." So in their twisted minds, that would be the logical next step.

I've noticed that the only people who talk about God's involvement in impregnation are those who are clueless about the female reproductive system and about science in general. Another unintended consequence of abstinence-only sex ed?

Why doesn't God intend for men to stop raping women? That would solve the problem. He's supposed to be fucking omnipotenet after all.

Why doesn't God intend for men to stop raping women? That would solve the problem. He's supposed to be fucking omnipotenet after all.

The Christian god doesn't actually seem to have a problem with rape. Between commanding his soldiers to take brides from the virgins among the people they just slaughtered (I doubt the girls were all that eager to consent to sex with the men that had just killed their fathers, mothers, brothers, and married sisters) and requiring rape victims to marry their rapists (almost certainly guaranteeing further rape), he seems to be pretty pro-rape. Or, at least, pro-rapist.

"The only exception I have to have an abortion is in the case of the life of the mother," said Mourdock, the Tea Party-backed state treasurer. "I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize life is that gift from God. I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

I am fortunate that when I decided I wanted to get pregnant, I had no fertility issues. I do have relatives and friends who did not have/are not having as easy a time as I did trying to conceive. One friend could not bear to see me during my pregnancy because it was a reminder to her of the trouble she was having, and now that my son's been born, she still hasn't been able to visit me. All that to say, following this politician's line of reasoning, if God had that woman raped because that baby needed to be created, couldn't he have instead had, say, my friend who's been trying to conceive for going on three years now and her husband conceive that baby instead? I'd imagine that hearing stuff like, "God intended the raped woman to become pregnant!" is a slap in the face to couples having trouble conceiving on their own. I mean, couldn't God let that fetus be conceived under non-traumatic circumstances?

edited to clarify a murky sentence

Archived