IGNORED

Mormon Garments.

Witsec7

Yesterday there were pictures of Mrs. Romney and her son in bathing suits in FL and they did not appear to have the garmies on. Also a few days ago she had on an evening dress that appeared to be too low on top for the underware as well.

Garments are not supposed to be worn while swimming, just as one wouldn't wear a bra and panties with a swimsuit. They are underwear.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garments are not supposed to be worn while swimming, just as one wouldn't wear a bra and panties with a swimsuit. They are underwear.

This isn't necessarily true (or at least, not necessarily practiced). When my family moved to Utah when I was a tiny kid, we used to frequently see people in swimsuits with their garments underneath. A lot of things with Mormonism evolve, and garments are no exception (they're barely a cap sleeve now; they used to be an entire short-sleeved shirt - and before that, long-sleeved as someone mentioned), and I believe this is one of them. It seems the 'rules' used to be much more strict.

They have evolved some. Back in the day they were like long underwear and covered from wrist to ankle. I think the whole point of keeping them a bit longer and with some amount of sleeve is to enforce modesty standards and keep shorts/skirts longer and tank tops and very low necklines forbidden.

The funny part of all this is I usually wear pettipants, which are sort of silky long shorts type underwear, under skirts and dresses and usually go for a camisole or higher neckline. I used to have a lot of Mormons assuming I was Mormon and thought it was because I was fairly religious and into survivalism and stuff, until a Mormon friend clued me in that the elastic line from the underwear and the camisole lace could leave tell-tale lines under my clothes that looked a lot like the ones left by garments. (and my pseudo-Mormon underwear only coast about $25 a set, not $40, but then again I wasn't trying to go for that look so they have no symbols stitched on)

Have not thought of pettipants in eons!!! Wore them in junior high under kilts. No pants allowed--public school not withstanding.

Meh. I live in an apartment. I'm not burning anything except candles.

I was told it was sufficient to cut the marks out and destroy them so they were unrecognizable and then to cut the garment fabric up so that it also was not recognizable as underwear. I remember one of the guys I knew drying his car with rags from garments and he told me this. When I went through for my endowment years later, the temple matron confirmed it in the "instructions" she read us.

I wonder how much then is also personal perference or even a good ol'case of holier than thou? My Mom was not a temple Mormon ( being married to a Catholic and all) and I officially left the church at 18, and so never had my own. My friend was very very strict in her wearing of them, and I believe her folks and in-laws were too.I do know things evolve a lot in this church, so what was "the thing" 20 years ago could be very different now.

ETA: Mirele I didn't mean you were holier than thou. I meant the attitude towards wearing them that some people have.

The bra is supposed to be worn outside the garment top by tradition. And yes, that's just weird. I'm guessing most modern Mormon women don't do that anymore.

The 30-something woman I saw in my gym locker room wore her bra on the outside.

Oh, and wearing the bra over them--I personally do, probably because my mother did. I also feel that it makes my bras last longer.

Women can wear their bra over or under---there's nobody checking.

This just seems like it would be awfully uncomfortable, especially on hot and sweaty days.

I had a student in my last job who had Army-brown ones (I know this because they kept showing under his PTs) which was a first for me.

This just seems like it would be awfully uncomfortable, especially on hot and sweaty days.

I had a student in my last job who had Army-brown ones (I know this because they kept showing under his PTs) which was a first for me.

The ones I prefer to wear are a silky material which tends to dry very quickly. If I am sweating I can pull it away from my body----so it's not so bad.

Sometimes it is hot. But they are also nice in the winter.

So, I guess Mitt doesn't need Secret Service protection...right???

So when did Mormons start wearing the garments? Because IIRC correctly, Joseph Smith (and his brother) were shot to death.

I performed an experiment this morning. I put on a silk undershirt to mimic the Mormon garment, and then put a bra over it. It was just totes uncomfortable for me.

I performed an experiment this morning. I put on a silk undershirt to mimic the Mormon garment, and then put a bra over it. It was just totes uncomfortable for me.

They do take some getting used to.

They do take some getting used to.

I guess it's pretty difficult to be accurately fitted for a bra when one has to wear clothing under the bra. I've been inspired to ask the woman who fits my bra's if she's run into these issues.

Did you take a photo?

Did you take a photo?

Nope, but it all looked pretty grotesque in the mirror. I wore one of my good bras and it kept slipping on the silk. I guess I should have tried to use some double sided tape to keep the bra in place. No amount of adjusting kept the traps in place.

Nope, but it all looked pretty grotesque in the mirror. I wore one of my good bras and it kept slipping on the silk. I guess I should have tried to use some double sided tape to keep the bra in place. No amount of adjusting kept the traps in place.

You would think they'd come up with a design that has a built-in bra, right? Lots of garments (ha ha) have built-ins -- look at the exercise industry!

You would think they'd come up with a design that has a built-in bra, right? Lots of garments (ha ha) have built-ins -- look at the exercise industry!

I thought the same, esp. now that they have two piece garments for women.

Archived