IGNORED

Mormon Garments.

Witsec7

It seems like the garments might have been more practical at the time when Mormonism was invented. They're not so different from the type of underwear people wore in the 1800s. I'm just kind of surprised they haven't evolved into something more useful for modern-wear. If the point is to wear the symbols of your religion close to your body and preserve some sort of modesty, couldn't that be just as easily accomplished with a fitted tank top/yoga top/sports bra and a pair of boyshorts?

They have evolved some. Back in the day they were like long underwear and covered from wrist to ankle. I think the whole point of keeping them a bit longer and with some amount of sleeve is to enforce modesty standards and keep shorts/skirts longer and tank tops and very low necklines forbidden.

The funny part of all this is I usually wear pettipants, which are sort of silky long shorts type underwear, under skirts and dresses and usually go for a camisole or higher neckline. I used to have a lot of Mormons assuming I was Mormon and thought it was because I was fairly religious and into survivalism and stuff, until a Mormon friend clued me in that the elastic line from the underwear and the camisole lace could leave tell-tale lines under my clothes that looked a lot like the ones left by garments. (and my pseudo-Mormon underwear only coast about $25 a set, not $40, but then again I wasn't trying to go for that look so they have no symbols stitched on)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the real question is, if Mitt wins (please, no!), will the White House staff wash the magic underwear? Are non-Mormons even allowed to touch it? Or will he have to bring in an LDS person for laundry duty?

So the real question is, if Mitt wins (please, no!), will the White House staff wash the magic underwear? Are non-Mormons even allowed to touch it? Or will he have to bring in an LDS person for laundry duty?

I was wondering what kind of high end Mormon underwears the Romneys wear. They can't be wearing the same stuff the middle class Mormons are wearing. After all if she's going to be wearing a t-shirt that costs 2k then she could not possibly wear some cheapo polyester undergarments. Maybe there's a La Perla equivalent for Mormons?

BTW: I cannot get out of my mind the idea of a red thong worn over thermal undies.

I was wondering what kind of high end Mormon underwears the Romneys wear. They can't be wearing the same stuff the middle class Mormons are wearing. After all if she's going to be wearing a t-shirt that costs 2k then she could not possibly wear some cheapo polyester undergarments. Maybe there's a La Perla equivalent for Mormons?

BTW: I cannot get out of my mind the idea of a red thong worn over thermal undies.

LOL Do they make patriotic magic undies?

Non-Mormons are not allowed to even *see* the garments. Which is why I am always surprised when NieNie posts photos of herself (in the old days) and her husband wearing just their garments. I've seen one pair, on my best friend, but as she said "I'm only letting you see these because you used to be a Mormon, so you know what they're about". UM yeah. And yes, she kept them on during all 5 of her births. :roll:

Non-Mormons are not allowed to even *see* the garments. Which is why I am always surprised when NieNie posts photos of herself (in the old days) and her husband wearing just their garments. I've seen one pair, on my best friend, but as she said "I'm only letting you see these because you used to be a Mormon, so you know what they're about". UM yeah. And yes, she kept them on during all 5 of her births. :roll:

Is that normal for Mormon women to do?

do they take them off for sex?

Mormons are taught that you must always have the garments on in someway, ie: having them hanging off your foot when you take a bath. You are to never fully take off the dirty ones before replacing them with the clean ones (they are two piece generally). When they become unwearable, you are to cut out the symbols and burn the rest of the garment.

So, with my friend, the top stayed on, the bottom hung off the foot for birth, and probably sex.

Under the trunks. I cannot remember how my friend did it with a bathing suit but she must have done something, because she absolutely kept them on during her births.

When you asked about swimming I just instantly went back to being 12 at girl's camp (Mormon girls camp) and having all of us having to bend over in our suits to make sure they were "modest and appropriate".

Yeah, nothing creepy there.

If they are supposed to burn them once they wear out, my next-door neighbors were certainly in violation using them as dusting cloths. Wow. And wearing them to give birth? Uh, okay. Honestly, they are probably nicer than the ugly hospital gowns the nurses want you to wear during a hospital birth. I wore a sports bra and obviously nothing else and the nurse thought I was crazy. Yay for hospital births -- not.

As far as I know, we all get our garments from the same place. They lowered the cost a few years ago, the ones I prefer are about $4 apiece.

Some fabrics cost more than others, cause they cost more. :D You can get special order ones to accomodate different body types, or if you have a mastectomy, or an ostomy bag, or something like that.

If they are supposed to burn them once they wear out, my next-door neighbors were certainly in violation using them as dusting cloths. Wow. And wearing them to give birth? Uh, okay. Honestly, they are probably nicer than the ugly hospital gowns the nurses want you to wear during a hospital birth. I wore a sports bra and obviously nothing else and the nurse thought I was crazy. Yay for hospital births -- not.

You don't have to burn them. Some people prefer that. I personally just throw them in the trash after cutting out the marks. One of my exhusband's cousins used to make rugs out of them. :lol:

Is that normal for Mormon women to do?

do they take them off for sex?

I don't know how to multiquote.

Yes. And every Mormon woman I know owns lingerie. It's a popular gift at friend bridal showers.

And swimming or the beach---I can't imagine swimming with them on.

Oh, and wearing the bra over them--I personally do, probably because my mother did. I also feel that it makes my bras last longer.

Women can wear their bra over or under---there's nobody checking.

I don't know how to multiquote.

Yes. And every Mormon woman I know owns lingerie. It's a popular gift at friend bridal showers.

And swimming or the beach---I can't imagine swimming with them on.

Oh, and wearing the bra over them--I personally do, probably because my mother did. I also feel that it makes my bras last longer.

Women can wear their bra over or under---there's nobody checking.

Unless you are flying somewhere. And then the TSA is checking. ;)

Mormons believe that the holy garment will protect them from fire, bullets, knives and other assaults if the person wearing the garments have kept all of their "temple covenants".
So, I guess Mitt doesn't need Secret Service protection...right???

I wonder if, like other issues, what you are "supposed" to do with your garments varies from state to state or stake to stake? I was raised in San Diego and the things we were supposed to do seems different from people in other places.

I wonder if, like other issues, what you are "supposed" to do with your garments varies from state to state or stake to stake? I was raised in San Diego and the things we were supposed to do seems different from people in other places.

I would think you would have been told if that was the case. But hey nothing like keeping secrets from your own followers.

FWIW, the official LDS sites all concur about the burning of the garment once the magik symbols are removed.

I would think you would have been told if that was the case. But hey nothing like keeping secrets from your own followers.

FWIW, the official LDS sites all concur about the burning of the garment once the magik symbols are removed.

Meh. I live in an apartment. I'm not burning anything except candles.

There are many different styles of garments, although they all are generally the same cut. They differ in materials, trim (some have lace, some have elastic) and fit. When my roommate went through the temple for the first time before her wedding, her mom bought her a pack of each different kind so she could find the ones she liked best. I imagine Ann Romney wears the lacy, satiny kind. I don't think there's a lot of variation in the men's garments though.

Speaking of Ann Romney and garments, she doesn't always wear them. Photos of her in public appearances have been dissected on lds.net and other forums. In this picture, she's clearly not wearing the top.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Ann+Romney ... Jij6F5K3Kt

Hey, I've lived with the image burned into my brain for 14 years. You're welcome.

Mormons are taught that you must always have the garments on in someway, ie: having them hanging off your foot when you take a bath.

I have never heard of this, and definitely saw my mother without anything on at all while she was changing. Emesbe, have you been told to keep one footin while bathing? Seems a little extreme.

There are many different styles of garments, although they all are generally the same cut. They differ in materials, trim (some have lace, some have elastic) and fit. When my roommate went through the temple for the first time before her wedding, her mom bought her a pack of each different kind so she could find the ones she liked best. I imagine Ann Romney wears the lacy, satiny kind. I don't think there's a lot of variation in the men's garments though.

Speaking of Ann Romney and garments, she doesn't always wear them. Photos of her in public appearances have been dissected on lds.net and other forums. In this picture, she's clearly not wearing the top.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Ann+Romney ... Jij6F5K3Kt

Hey, I've lived with the image burned into my brain for 14 years. You're welcome.

I have never heard of this, and definitely saw my mother without anything on at all while she was changing. Emesbe, have you been told to keep one footin while bathing? Seems a little extreme.

Nope. How in blazes would you do that when showering, anyway?

From what I understand, at least from my ex-mormon friend, you are allowed to take your garments off when swimming, bathing, having sex, working out, and for medical reasons. He had a cousin who had severe allergies to everything, and could only wear 100% non-dyed cotton against his skin - so he was excused from wearing garments.

The bra is supposed to be worn outside the garment top by tradition. And yes, that's just weird. I'm guessing most modern Mormon women don't do that anymore.

My cousin does.

Yesterday there were pictures of Mrs. Romney and her son in bathing suits in FL and they did not appear to have the garmies on. Also a few days ago she had on an evening dress that appeared to be too low on top for the underware as well.

Archived