IGNORED

The Walking Dead

Alecto

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the show too! Has anyone read the books? (Comics/graphic novels. Not sure what they are considered)

I have read the first four and they are different but the general plot is the same. Like most shows I guess!

I read the comics, they're pretty good. I got tired of the women never getting to have real parts, after a while.

Jennylee, i have to ask, are you named after the Jennylee who won Beauty and the Geek? Because if so that's awesome.

• 2 months later...

Any opinions on Sunday's episode? I thought it was decent, although my husband and I agree that during a zombie apocalypse we would do things a little differently. :D I do love the way the walkers look though! The screwdriver guy was especially creepy.

Omg. Why are the walkers getting smart now! I need them dumb and slow. Thet are starting to organize.

I have never read the books but, I guess Carl gets shot in the eye instead of how he was. I am thankful that they picked the belly.

I didn't want to put that^ if someone didn't see yet!

And also, when I shop I think hmmm. Do I have enough water in case of a zombie apocalypse?

I like this show. I was excited for the premiere. But I think I want to like this show more than I do. It's...okay. I like the storyline and the plot twists draw me in, if nothing else. But the dialogue was even worse in this last ep than it was last season -- weren't they supposed to hire new writers to combat this problem?? The opening monologue made me physically cringe. It's been done before and can be done very, very well but...not in this case. The main characters are all cliches. My husband was so upset at the ending of last season because he thought the doctor was the most interesting character in the show, by far. And he was only in one (two-ish) episode!

Not gonna touch if what the characters are doing is what the majority of people would do in reality. It's a tv show. But I do expect certain things from a tv show that this one isn't really delivering. But I'll keep watching because the story intrigues me.

The shots of Atlanta and the empty interstate on one side with the burnt up cars on the other were particularly creepy to me since that's in my neck of the woods.

hey, i was born in atlanta! lived in mcdonough until '97 when we moved. so...hello! lol

anyway, this was one series i really wanted to get into but just didn't have a chance to. i'm thinking of requesting season 1 on dvd for christmas... :D

I read the comics, they're pretty good. I got tired of the women never getting to have real parts, after a while.

Unfortunately its a chronic problem with comics, especially mainstream ones. I find its usually the independents that actually have women with personalities and actual purposes. I've been lucky enough to meet many writers/artists and I've been told that it is institutionalized at the the mainstream comic presses to have flat female characters and up their sex appeal.

I noticed a real difference in the show versus the books about the role of women in the Walking Dead world. At least in the show so far the women talk back and participate in searches and dangerous activities.

Unfortunately its a chronic problem with comics, especially mainstream ones. I find its usually the independents that actually have women with personalities and actual purposes. I've been lucky enough to meet many writers/artists and I've been told that it is institutionalized at the the mainstream comic presses to have flat female characters and up their sex appeal.

I noticed a real difference in the show versus the books about the role of women in the Walking Dead world. At least in the show so far the women talk back and participate in searches and dangerous activities.

I hate Rick's wife in the comics. She's the most annoying thing ever.

and I was actually glad she died O_O

I still think Andrea is looking shitty on the show vs in the comics she's much better...

• 4 weeks later...

I hate this show. I keep wanting to like it b/c when there's a great moment, it's so incredibly creepy and magnificent - for instance, the zombie hoard in the season 2 premiere. So I keep watching. But I hate myself for watching it b/c it makes me angry. I haven't seen a scripted drama in years that is so damn sexist. And I'm not even an uber-feminist, although I consider myself feminist, in general. The women are props, for the most part, and when they do take some sort of action, they're whiny, self-involved, dependent or just make huge mistakes that almost kill people. Andrea is "punished" by the writers for wanting to carry a gun, so they make her shoot one of the group. Lori is sexually assaulted and does nothing about it. Also - Carol praying about feeling bad that she wanted her husband, who was contemplating molesting their daughter, to die? WTF? And this week's episode? Gah! Worst handling of abortion ever. Plus, the women are (mostly) relegated to "female" chores -- food, cleaning, laundry -- while the men stroll around with huge guns and shoot things and make the Big Decisions. It's basically the fundie version of post-apocalyptic heaven.

It's hard for me to express how uncomfortable this show's treatment of women makes me. It does not surprise me that the writing staff is entirely male. It's strange b/c I noticed it almost immediately in the first few episodes, but many of my friends don't see it until i point it out and then they're like, "OMG. Sexism. It's so there."

I hate this show. I keep wanting to like it b/c when there's a great moment, it's so incredibly creepy and magnificent - for instance, the zombie hoard in the season 2 premiere. So I keep watching. But I hate myself for watching it b/c it makes me angry. I haven't seen a scripted drama in years that is so damn sexist. And I'm not even an uber-feminist, although I consider myself feminist, in general. The women are props, for the most part, and when they do take some sort of action, they're whiny, self-involved, dependent or just make huge mistakes that almost kill people. Andrea is "punished" by the writers for wanting to carry a gun, so they make her shoot one of the group. Lori is sexually assaulted and does nothing about it. Also - Carol praying about feeling bad that she wanted her husband, who was contemplating molesting their daughter, to die? WTF? And this week's episode? Gah! Worst handling of abortion ever. Plus, the women are (mostly) relegated to "female" chores -- food, cleaning, laundry -- while the men stroll around with huge guns and shoot things and make the Big Decisions. It's basically the fundie version of post-apocalyptic heaven.

It's hard for me to express how uncomfortable this show's treatment of women makes me. It does not surprise me that the writing staff is entirely male. It's strange b/c I noticed it almost immediately in the first few episodes, but many of my friends don't see it until i point it out and then they're like, "OMG. Sexism. It's so there."

TLo recaps this on their blog and they've noticed the same thing. I started to notice when all the women were doing was laundry and being basically helpless and whiny. I brought it up to my husband during the last episode and he started to say that it would be normal for women to revert back to doing the "domestic" stuff and blah blah blah. He shut up when I raised an eye brow at him, since he's the one that cares about cooking and cleaning around here.

last episode... ugh

yeah it's sexist, the comic is too. Although Andrea is more empowered in the comic. It makes me feel of lord of the rings, not many women in it but managed to make you hate each one of them.

• 9 months later...

Is it just me or are Bible tracts getting increasingly disturbing? Recently at our town's National Night Out event someone gave my daughters a tract that told the story of an abused chil; who was kicked out onto the streets and living in a cardboard box when God finally decides to show the poor little mite his love and mercy by allowing him to freeze to death in his cardboard abode just hours after talking to a street preacher and getting saved. It had my daughters in tears on the way home and pissed me off so badly I ripped it to shreds when we got home. What kind of sick fuck do you have to be for a kid dying of hypothermia to be considered a happy ending? And why couldn't their Almighty god provide the poor kid with a home and a loving family? The whole thing was a great big pile of WTF.

That tract is outrageously long. I stopped reading it like a third of the way through. That thing would bore the crap out of Jesus I think.

I wonder if anybody is actually converted through those things. I was raised fundy-lite and then my dad got crazy fundy right after my mom died. My husband was too. With all the fundamentalist Christians I know personally, not one has ever said "I was saved by the grace of God through a tract I found!"

I'm disturbed by the amount of hate in some of these things. I only looked through a few of those but the hating they're doing on Islam and Catholicism is frightening. As a kid, and even an adult, this would not have converted me. Rather it would've made me throw it away and never look back.

• 5 weeks later...

Not overwhelmed with the premiere last night. Graphic walker kills are so last season. And why would they go up into the towers to shoot walkers if they're so worried about being low on ammo? Wouldn't it be better to just kill as many thru the fence as possible first? Why is that gal bringing her 2 armless friends everywhere on a chain? Are they planning to use (SPOILER) *that character* who got bitten last night as a medical experiment or will they just give him a horrible death? I hope they don't write him out.

When I saw that it began at 9 and the "Talking Dead" was at 11 I thought it was going to be a two hour episode. When it ended at 10 I was like really, that's it? It would've worked better as a special two hour season premiere episode.

Not that the show has stayed exactly true to the comics but here are some "spoilers" from them.

Michonne has the two walkers chained up armless with their lower jaws ripped out so they bite her because they mask her smell from other walkers. Also one use to be her best friend and the other her boyfriend.

In the comics Dale was still alive when they got to the prison and it was he who got his leg amputated but it looks like since he died in the show they gave that storyline to Hershel. They cut off his leg because a bite from a walker is so infectious it's almost certain death so they thought this was the best chance of saving his life.

I am quite enthralled by the series, but at the same time it freaks me the heck out! lol! I'm such a baby and I like half watch and half surf so I can turn away in the graphic/scary parts! :oops:

I am interested to see the Michonne character progress and see what happens with Andrea and her, I'm thinking chemistry! But I am probably wrong! Definitely want to know more about her *pets* too.

I've read spoilers of the Comic books, and wondering about Lori's future and if they will stray from the comics or stick with that.

The Prisoners are interesting me too, I'm kind of shocked that they have been locked in the cafeteria for what about a year? since the outbreak started!? Seems kinda weird! So will definitely have to tune in next time to see what the deal is there!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the latest ep!

I wasn't a huge Lori fan, but man I wept!

And T-Dog, no!

I'm wondering where Carol has gone, and if there is still someone in the prison we don't know about!

Its certainly going to be a very interesting next few episodes!

Archived