IGNORED

Video of alleged Mormon temple endowment ceremony

artmama

Back to the baptism bullshit. It seems that as an adult joining the LDS you must get dipped. And at the same time they will dip others against their will. I wish the fuck these folks would hear the dissonance. I don't want a fucking planet, I don't believe in your planet, or Jos. Smith's magic stick either, or the underwear. And I will keep pointing this shit out as long as you keep dipping folks without their permission.

This was a timely thread - last night I had a heated discussion with my sister, a recent LDS convert. She told me that she was working on our family tree. I paused and asked her if she was planning to baptize by proxy our deceased family members. She seemed a little startled but said that's what she was planning once she was able to enter the temple. I asked her that if the time came, she not do that to me. When she asked me why, I told her that I actively reject her religion, if I wanted to be a Mormon I would've joined when she did, and if she went against my wishes, she would be disrespecting me. She didn't like that.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard that the way the baptism works is that it gives you a chance to change your mind beyond death. So, like if they baptized Ann Frank or your grandma or whatever basically it would give them the opportunity to convert after their death if they chose to. Doesn't make it any less creepy, but that's what I heard.

I went to visit an LDS temple visitor's centre in Washington D.C. (not LDS, just as a visitor/curious spectator), and specifically asked the guide/missionary there about that, and that's pretty much exactly what she told me. That when they do those proxy baptisms, it is intended to give the deceased person a choice to join LDS if they want to, but that it's still up to them. The baptism won't "mean anything" if the deceased person rejects it.

I went to visit an LDS temple visitor's centre in Washington D.C. (not LDS, just as a visitor/curious spectator), and specifically asked the guide/missionary there about that, and that's pretty much exactly what she told me. That when they do those proxy baptisms, it is intended to give the deceased person a choice to join LDS if they want to, but that it's still up to them. The baptism won't "mean anything" if the deceased person rejects it.

Yeah, this is why I don't have a huge problem with it. On the very very very very minuscule chance that the Mormons are right and God is a being with the mentality of a 12 yr old boy, requiring super secret handshakes and password to get into his club, hey, sweet, I'm glad to have the choice.

And on the very likely chance Mormons are wrong? Their baptisms by proxy mean nothing.

I like Mormons more than our typical fun die Christians because 1) pretty much nobody goes to Mormon hell (even us heathens go to like the third level of heaven, which joseph smith said was so awesome that if you saw it, you'd kill yourself immediately to get there), and 2) there's still hope after death, which seems a lot more fair than "oh sorry you died without hearing about Jesus? Eternal hellfire and torture for you!"

You go to your bishop and he asks a bunch of questions. They're all yes/no questions (some are, do you have a tesimony of Jesus Christ, do you sustain the current prophet/presidency/general authorities of the church, do you keep the word of wisdom, are you a full tithe payer, and so on. You can find the exact questions online). Then you go to the stake president and get asked the exact same questions. They sign a little card with your membership record number then when you go to the temple you give the person at the front desk your card and they scan it like a library card. The recommends need to be renewed every couple of years.

How hard would it be to create a fake card and skip the bishop and stake president? I'm not thinking of doing it, but I'm curious how tight security is.

That's really fascinating about it actually being a little card that gets scanned. I like the library analogy!

It is linked up to your membership record number so you'd have to make up a number that actually works and links to a person of your same gender. Or... find an ex-mo with a temple recommend that is current.

Yeah, I think it's in the Doctrine & Covenants that anything that happens in the whatever kingdoms has to have some sort of analogy here, so if you convert in heaven, it doesn't count until someone does it proxy for you on Earth.

It is linked up to your membership record number so you'd have to make up a number that actually works and links to a person of your same gender. Or... find an ex-mo with a temple recommend that is current.

I have a valid membership record number that I'm not using... just saying.

;)

:lol: I love how Adam, Eve and the prophets fell onto earth with perfect seventies hair.

Seriously, that was creepy to watch. The thread about it on exmormon.org has been taken down, does anyone know why?

Yeah, this is why I don't have a huge problem with it. On the very very very very minuscule chance that the Mormons are right and God is a being with the mentality of a 12 yr old boy, requiring super secret handshakes and password to get into his club, hey, sweet, I'm glad to have the choice.

And on the very likely chance Mormons are wrong? Their baptisms by proxy mean nothing.

I like Mormons more than our typical fun die Christians because 1) pretty much nobody goes to Mormon hell (even us heathens go to like the third level of heaven, which joseph smith said was so awesome that if you saw it, you'd kill yourself immediately to get there), and 2) there's still hope after death, which seems a lot more fair than "oh sorry you died without hearing about Jesus? Eternal hellfire and torture for you!"

This is a bit OT. There are things about Mormons that I find more likable than the fundie Christians we discuss here. Some of the Mormon mommy bloggers are pretty likable compared to people like Zsu, Lori, etc. I like that the LDS church does promote education for women. They are some annoying Mormon bloggers NieNie is an example. But if I had to choose between having NieNie or Zsu as a neighbor, I would go with NieNie.

(snip)

But the spooky Mormon hell dream made it look almost fun. This thread is 7 pages, it's due for a Book of Mormon reference.

IuhSq7Tn1iE

For me the video was a mixture of creepy and corny, which pretty much sums up my experience with the LDS church. Whoever said that witnessing a sustaining vote is unnerving was dead on; to an outsider it had a cult-like quality. My husband was raised Mormon. When we met he was still trying to convince himself he believed. Not knowing much about it, I went to church with him several times. There were a lot teachings that made me very uncomfortable and prompted me to research it. This, of course, led to me stating I would never join and if that mattered to him he needed to date someone else.

People go to hell in the Mormon faith. From my understanding Mormon hell, or the outer darkness, is a place reserved mostly for apostates. Nothing like doubling down on the guilt for members considering leaving.

I have had adult men touch my sleeve in utah to see if I was wearing garments under my clothing. They always got the get the fu$K away from me response. No one is allowed to touch me unless I tell them its ok.

For me the video was a mixture of creepy and corny, which pretty much sums up my experience with the LDS church. Whoever said that witnessing a sustaining vote is unnerving was dead on; to an outsider it had a cult-like quality. My husband was raised Mormon. When we met he was still trying to convince himself he believed. Not knowing much about it, I went to church with him several times. There were a lot teachings that made me very uncomfortable and prompted me to research it. This, of course, led to me stating I would never join and if that mattered to him he needed to date someone else.

People go to hell in the Mormon faith. From my understanding Mormon hell, or the outer darkness, is a place reserved mostly for apostates. Nothing like doubling down on the guilt for members considering leaving.

As an ex-mo, it's my understanding you have to have had the witness of Jesus Christ in order to get sent to Outer Darkness. Apparently only apostles (not apostates) get that witness. So the rest of us, we'll be in the Telestial Kingdom with our non-Mormon, ex-Mormon, jack-Mormon and inactive friends. (There's no marriage in the Telestial Kingdom.)

:lol: I love how Adam, Eve and the prophets fell onto earth with perfect seventies hair.

Seriously, that was creepy to watch. The thread about it on exmormon.org has been taken down, does anyone know why?

IF it was a thread on the Recovery message board, it's because they can't keep more than a week or so of messages - there's no archives.

There should be links to the video somewhere via the many sub-boards on exmormon.org. Also, Utah LightHouse Ministry and many other support groups for people leaving the LDS have links and resources. Just google exmormon and

The Washington area temple is just off the Beltway (I-495) in Kensington, Maryland and looks way too much like Emerald City. For many years as you drove southbound on the Beltway, you could see where someone had spray-painted "SURRENDER DOROTHY" on a railroad bridge over the Beltway. Unfortunately, the grafitti is gone now, but it was so cool when it was there.

I have a question. Is it possible that this video is of a wackier than usual group of Mormons ? You know how there are normal, everyday Christians, then the ones that are really over the top, like, say the Duggars or snake handlers ? I'm trying to find out if EVERY Mormon participates in this kind of ceremony, or maybe it's only certain areas of the country ? Posted this on my FB and a friend believes that this is one of the more extreme groups of Mormons, while I believe it isn't. What I really want to know is the truth from my Ex Mormon friends here. Thanks !

Not all Mormons go to the Temple, but all Mormons that do go to the Temple do that. There are some extreme groups of Mormons but they do the exact same things only with more polygamy. (Mainstream Mormons only have polygamy in heaven)

If you're in the temple, that's whatcha do. It's all scripted so every temple plays the same video, same handshakes, same old biddies that give you the death glare if you don't have the veil stuff memorized like they do. In the Salt Lake temple they do what are called 'live sessions' where instead of the video, they have actual people there acting it out. But um... Adam and Eve are fully clothed. ;) And about a hundred years old. Hehe.

IF it was a thread on the Recovery message board, it's because they can't keep more than a week or so of messages - there's no archives.

There should be links to the video somewhere via the many sub-boards on exmormon.org. Also, Utah LightHouse Ministry and many other support groups for people leaving the LDS have links and resources. Just google exmormon and

Every time someone tried to post the video link on the Recovery (exmormon.org) board it was quickly taken down by the board admin due to concerns of copyright infringement. The exmormon.org board is heavily moderated and takes down links frequently. It's pretty frustrating actually.

That said, I always chuckle that the COJCOLDS has nearly every ceremony, etc. copyrighted. There is just something funny to me about the irony of a god being concerned with copyright infringement on his supposedly timeless ceremonies.

That said, I always chuckle that the COJCOLDS has nearly every ceremony, etc. copyrighted. There is just something funny to me about the irony of a god being concerned with copyright infringement on his supposedly timeless ceremonies.

:lol: :clap: :lol:

Now that is a sure sign that something is wrong with a "religious observance."

I am related to a famous historical Mormon, as well as Mittens and I'm listed in all the Geneology records. I had better not be baptized. srsly. They don't appear to have my Daughter yet.

ETA for the Mormons-My ancestor was parley Pratt's Mother.

That was the most bizarre religious ceremony I have ever seen. As far as my family and I appearing in LDS records, it doesn't bother me. I'm not LDS and don't share their beliefs, so whatever. Having said that, I can see where others would have a problem with it, and the baptizing of Holocaust victims is just plain wrong.

My grandmother was excommunicated in the 40's because she asked too many questins, This is no longer practiced The person my be disowned but not excommunicate. I waar this as a badge of honor and proudly let all missionaries that com to the door that my grandma was excommunicated for asking too many questions. Half run away and bring their bishop to the next meeting to try and convert me. The other half accept the fact that I am not going to become Mormon. These missionaries are welcome to come get a fresh cold bottle of water from me any time they need it. Its an agreeable situation all around. They also get granola bars and other treats. I do the same thing for the census works that come by.

Utah where I lived for most of my life is a hard mission serve. Most people there know enough about the church to make an informed decision to join or not join. I do feel bad for the men who have to go door to door. I have done the door to door petition thing so I know its hard itits is o meet quota. I usually invite the missionaries out ot the patio (which is a public area) for a cold beverage (ie soda or water). on a hot summer night We talk about video games, gardening board games exc. so the conversations are enjoyable for everyone.

I am on the list of people the church feels it to convert. My grandfathers (on my moms side) dyeing wish was that all of his grandchildren get named in the church. I dont mind that my parents went though with this. It shows that they loved and respected my grandfather. I dont agree with the practice of baptizing the dead. I have ask my family members to not preform one for me after I die. I think that the practice is disrespectful to dead because their wishes are not being respected as the dead. I have no power to stop a family member from submitting my name for a baptism and no way to opt out. I would not mind the practice if there was a way for the living to opt out.

I have a Mormon family I'm close to, they have been true friends for decades. I will never ever discuss their religion with them. I enjoy sharing holiday dinners with them and family celebrations. Because of them, and only because of them I extend kindness to missionaries who knock at my door. Like Funnyhat, I don't engage them in religious discussions but do invite them in for a bit of shade and a cool drink in the summer, or to dry out in front of the fire during the winter.

That being said I'm changing my ground rules and the next time some missionaries come knocking, I do want to discuss this video with them. Perhaps even ask them to view it on the small screen.

Archived