IGNORED

Video of alleged Mormon temple endowment ceremony

artmama

I am saying alleged until I can confirm it, but this was posted on reddit and the consensus seems to be that it is real.

I have a lot of thoughts on this, I need to make them come out in a way that makes sense, but having been raised in various denominations of evangelical christianity, the things we were taught about the LDS church were not positive. This video does nothing to dispel that, in fact I think this is probably one of the creepiest things I have ever seen.

This is a shortened clip, but that youtube account also has one that is listed to be the entire ceremony, it is about 1:15 long.

http://youtu.be/6udew9axmdM

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a thread on exmormon about the video, but only two or three people have discussed it and they seem to have implied that the video is real. Sometime back, I looked at exmormon.org after the Rock Center special on Mormonism aired and one poster mentioned that the temple ceremonies were ripped off from Freemasonry.

If this video is legit, then Big Love really got it right in that scene where Jeanne Triplehorn and Ellen Burstyn go to temple.

Dustin Lance Black was a writer on Big Love. He also wrote the screenplays for Milk and J.Edgar. He was raised Mormon and I recall reading somewhere that he gave the other writers a lot of insights into Mormonism and the fundamentalist Mormon sects.

If this video is legit, then Big Love really got it right in that scene where Jeanne Triplehorn and Ellen Burstyn go to temple.

My thoughts exactly.

Wow, that was blandly theatrical. That's quite an accomplishment.

I just can't with grown-ass adults playing dress-up and super-secret handshakes. Secondhand embarrassment for days.

That's what I thought when I saw it too.

If Obama was a Mormon, conservatives would be using this video to prove how he is a cult member who is just trying to become president so he can persecute the "real" Christians. But since it is their canidate who is a Mormon, you end up with people like Billy Graham supporting Mitt and trying to make everyone forget that he used to talk bad about Mormons.

well that put me to sleep. no wonder Mormons say it is boring as hell.

I kept waiting for something to really happen. :think:

If Obama was a Mormon, conservatives would be using this video to prove how he is a cult member who is just trying to become president so he can persecute the "real" Christians. But since it is their canidate who is a Mormon, you end up with people like Billy Graham supporting Mitt and trying to make everyone forget that he used to talk bad about Mormons.

This.

This.

That ceremony was really boring, but it seems as if the writers of Big Love got it right for the temple scene.

I have been glancing through some of the reddit posts and there are posts by active Mormons on there. I got annoyed with the below post.

While it may be interesting and some people flock to a video like this to fulfill their curiosity, in the end the Mormon religion is full of family oriented people who help one another, believe in service toward their fellow man, and are not bothering anyone. Live and let live

The Mormons aren't bothering anyone? Yeah right, Prop 8 will not be forgotten. I know that some Mormons are against Prop 8. But this Mormon defender acts as if the LDS church hasn't bothered anyone. I heard a rumor somewhere that the LDS church baptized Pat Tillman. The Tillman family members are atheists and one of the Pat's brothers was pissed at a memorial service in which Maria Schriber and John McCain said that Pat was with the God. The brother replied and said something like, "Pat isn't with God. He didn't believe in God. He is fucking dead." If the Tillman family knew about Pat being baptized in absentia, they will be pissed. The LDS church and other religions have all bothered someone or groups of people at various times. So fuck that "they aren't bothering anyone" bullshit.

About those guys who keep knocking on my door?

And yes about Prop 8.

Check out the comments. Hordes of people are taking the "oh yeah??? Well OSammy FartBama is a sekrit MOOSLIM!!! They don't just shun people, they do honor killings!!!11!1!" and crap.

And yes about Prop 8.

I have never encountered Mormon missionaries, but I know people who have and they have said some missionaries are very aggressive while others aren't. When it comes down to it someone is always going to be bothered by a Mormon missionary, Jehovah's Witness, or any other person who goes door to door for religious reasons.

And yes about Prop 8.

Have you tried the Orgazmo response? (contains NSFW words, no naughty images)

-Q4K8D6-KmM

I wonder if all the secrecy is more from the persecution (before they got to Utah there was real persecution of Mormons) or because of how odd the rituals seem to outsiders.

Check out the comments. Hordes of people are taking the "oh yeah??? Well OSammy FartBama is a sekrit MOOSLIM!!! They don't just shun people, they do honor killings!!!11!1!" and crap.

I don't see much of a difference between airing this video to try and scare Romney supporters and the airing of Reverend Wright rants to try and scare Obama supporters.

I think the Romney and his staff will ignore this. There was an article in Rolling Stone a week or two ago. It was written by Mikal Gilmore and he detailed how Romney almost never talks about certain figures in the LDS church.

Wow.

That whole thing was just bizarre. No wonder they don't let cameras in.

I tried to go to reddit, but it's down all of a sudden.

Why do they keep asking God to hear the words of their mouths? Is he deaf or something?

Archived