IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

Stop it,you guys! Stop it! I still have nightmares about the canned whole chicken and every single time I see the title of this thread, I have flashbacks to when I saw those pictures.

*holds self, and rocks back and forth. "it wasn't real, it wasn't real"*

/sarcasm (but those pictures really did gross me out LOL)

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My mom says they used to make sandwiches using something called "potted meat." I know it is some type of meat from a can. I don't even know if you can buy it anymore. It doesn't sound very appetizing to say the least!

It's still around. It's like Deviled Ham.

But grosser.

I can't get over the whole canned chicken.

I remember canned asparagus from being a kid. Salty, mushy, a little stringy. I wouldn't buy or eat it now, but I kinda remember it fondly. It wasn't a vegetable (other than, y'know, actually being a vegetable) it was more it's own thing.

I buy jarred and pickled asparagus for bloody marys. It's delicious.

Canned bacon That should be a crime. Do you cook it or is it already cooked?

I think you had to cook it but I could never figure out how the bacon got through the canning process uncooked.

I think you had to cook it but I could never figure out how the bacon got through the canning process uncooked.

There was a woman we talked about here - she lived in Rural Idaho and canned her own bacon. She was/is a prepper. I'm not sure that I will want to eat canned bacon during the zombie Apocalypse, personally, but to each their own I suppose. I have my 7-10 days of emergency food (I live in a place where it is suggested due to the ration of stores to people/earthquakes/ice storms/distance from farms) but it is bacon free. Just canned veggies, alcohol, pasta, rice, and pilot bread. There is probably some SPAM too, because while I have never had it, I think they give you some when you enter our state. It's everywhere.

So let me get this straight they wrapped canned chicken in canned croissants covered it in canned soup, was the cheese real?

I think I'm going to be sick. :shock:

I can't even wrap my head around that. It would be so much easier to cook for that many people if they cooked from scratch! Opening cans of chicken... that's revolting.

My first semester at college, I was still figuring out the art of feeding myself with only dorm facilities available. I like asparagus, so I grabbed a can of asparagus at the store. Imagine my surprise when I opened that can! Just awful. It's barely reminiscent of actual asparagus.

In general, meat should not come from a can. Canned carrots are gross, IMO. Spaghetti sauce from a can tastes like metal to me. I only made that mistake once.

Isn't bacon pretty much cooked anyway, or is that just smoked hams. I think if the bacon is smoked, it's pre-cooked. I still wouldn't line up to eat it raw, but maybe it's not as pathogen-rich as it sounds.

I use San Marzano tomatoes when I'm making my marinara sauce. Love San Marzano tomatoes!

I do use canned chickpeas whenever I make my roasted chickpeas for a snack. They're so good and so healthy :).

Ugh, I remember seeing canned whole chicken while watching "Chopped" on Food Network a few months ago. I can't remember if it was the appetizer or entree round but I remember them pulling out canned whole chicken. It took me about a month to even eat chicken again. Blech.

If you are a recovering cannibal, why eat Spam, when you could have canned hufu-- tofu made to resemble the taste of human? (Other than the fact that according to wikipedia it was only ever fictional, I guess.)

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2005/ ... le-eating/

Wow, that is certainly unusual....He would do so well in the zombie apocalypse, I bet zombies couldnt tell the difference.

Perhaps, but offensive doesn’t seem to be in Nuckols’ vocabulary. He is currently developing three new “exciting†products: Delicious Baby Seal, Endangered Panda, and Underprivileged Child.

That really made me laugh...I have a sick sense of humour.

2ioYaK7.jpg

and the description.

Haggis is made from taking the organs of a sheep, like the heart, liver and lungs, and mixing it with onion, oatmeal and spices, then stuffing it into the stomach of a sheep and cooking it. Canned haggis is all of the above stuffed into a can where it sits for who knows how long before a brave soul, read drunk people of Scotland, eats it.

:lol: Yum

Stop it,you guys! Stop it! I still have nightmares about the canned whole chicken and every single time I see the title of this thread, I have flashbacks to when I saw those pictures.

*holds self, and rocks back and forth. "it wasn't real, it wasn't real"*

/sarcasm (but those pictures really did gross me out LOL)

My first exposure to whole chicken in a can was watching and episode of "Chopped" where that was one of the basket ingredients.

I enjoy that show, but mostly because the people who put the baskets together are totally MEAN.

2ioYaK7.jpg

and the description.

:lol: Yum

I suspect I would like the vegetarian approximation of haggis. As I just mentioned on another thread, my father used to make meatloaf with ground beef, oatmeal, copious onion and garlic, baked in the microwave with a topping of steak sauce. Less organ meaty, perhaps, but otherwise similar. My brother and I loved it. It made bewitching next-day sandwich lunches. My brother requested that it be made in quantity for his wedding reception. It is the one meaty thing I have consistently missed since becoming a vegetarian.

I remember having sandwiches with that in for my lunch at school. It was disgusting.

Yes, that exists here. My mother bought it occasionally when I was small (yes, for sandwiches). Yes, it is thoroughly DIS.GUST.ING. Falls into the category of I would have to be literally dying of starvation to eat it.

Psst- OKTBT- The first time I saw your new avatar, I could only think it was Cthulhu in a can or something, and now I crack up every time I see you post!

Archived