IGNORED

Extreme Cheapskates

bellicosebroad

:lol: :lol:

I can see that happening. But I also can see scenarios where Kate refuses to take food or other items for a potluck or other work event. My brother worked at a bank where potlucks and showers happened quite often. He said there were a few people known in the office who were against potlucks or other events. Those people didn't participate at all.

I also think people who have knew Kate prior to her appreance on Extreme Cheapstakes might have been leery about talking food from her. The guy friend on the show kind of had suspected that the food was from a dumpster.

I just wonder what the fallout from appearing on shows like this is. I said earlier that maybe seeing herself on TV would give her a wakeup call, would get her to realize that she's well off enough financially not to be getting her food out of the dumpster and risking illness. That's a positive, IMO, but it also "outs" her in a major way. Some of what she does is truly cringe worthy (the hygiene factor with washing clothes in used shower water, frex) . I can see there being some significant backlash.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are probably some backlash/fallouts for all the people who appear on this show. I do wonder if there was a falling out between Greg the Zumba guy and his two roommates after it was revealed that Greg wasn't paying rent for the townhouse. There was also Terrence who wasn't happy about having to pay for his aunt and uncle when they went out to eat. I can see other relatives of Terrence being pissed about that after seeing the episode.

I do hope the participants do have wake up calls about some of the things they do. Kate hopefully will realize she doesn't need to dumpster dive. She could learn various ways to keep grocery costs down. Terrence and Greg might realize that their attitudes are bit crappy when it comes to eating out in restaurants with other people.

I think if those featured in the program want to do offbeat things like dumpster diving for food, foraging, or eliminating toilet paper - more power to them. I personally wouldn't do it. But, that's just me. I do think that if they're going to do these things that they shouldn't expect their guests and their friends to HAVE to be okay doing it too.

How much effort does it take to buy an extra roll of toilet paper and leave it out for guests? Or to just use the money you've saved and buy food that is purchased from a store shelf to feed your guests/someone else's kids. That's my problem with the whole thing. If you don't have the money/refuse to use money - at least tell them beforehand so they can eat before coming over.

I dunno *shaking head* I'm not getting the dumpster diving hate, here.

Some anarchos I know don't use TP either, they use water in a pot by the side of the loo. I am not down with this, because it's really impractical for women in a colder climate, unless you're wearing a skirt (for reasons which I shall not go into but should be kinda obvious) ;) They always had ONE ROLL sitting beside for people who couldn't deal. They wouldn't buy in bulk and there were two things you could do to show respect to their environmental concerns - not flush if you'd only had a pee and weren't bleeding, and not go mental with the TP and use up half the roll. Consideration, both sides.

However, with dumpster diving, it's slightly different. For example, divers probably take more care over the food than most. For us, meat and milk would have been out anyway, and I would turn a wary eye on anyone who used those in any meal and didn't tell people. But I am also thinking the conditions of a potluck meal are different from a dinner party. We had our rough equivalents of dinner parties and people who came round would not only know where the food came from, there'd be a 50/50 chance they'd do the same thing themselves. But if I went to a potluck and took some food I had made, I would not use dumpster food, because although it's handy and free, and I don't think it will upset your stomach, in a room full of people not used to the concept it would be alienating to them. If I told them at the time they would not want to eat it, if I told them afterwards they would feel tricked.

It took me a while because I come from a very straight-laced (as the far Left goes) tradition. I still feel the culture clash to this day and it is the case that we...just...don't. Don't do things like that. So when I met anarchos who thought it was OK to eat from bins or break off from the middle of a march because they'd run out of Buckfast, only to return when they had obtained some* I couldn't make head nor tail of it. It wasn't what we do. Took me ages to accept it.

I can imagine that it would be 10000 times worse to imagine eating from a bin if you weren't even prepared for such a thought. So I'm not slagging anyone. I'm just saying, it's honestly not disgusting (except the recovery phase, which can be), the food will be absolutely fine if you avoid certain categories (I know no-one who thinks milk from bins is good but I do know people who will eat meat) and it's mostly a psychological barrier which stops you (if they don't lock the bins where you are). Here endeth the rant.

* Do you have this in America? We say "Buckie" :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine

Lucky bastards. The stuff tastes like Calpol :lol:

What would be a US equivalent for a, um, not regarded highly drink?

Lucky bastards. The stuff tastes like Calpol :lol:

What would be a US equivalent for a, um, not regarded highly drink?

Gypsy Rose, Night Train and Maddog 20/20 are about the bottom of the barrel in fortified wines.

Gypsy Rose, Night Train and Maddog 20/20 are about the bottom of the barrel in fortified wines.

Let us not forget the very bottom of the fermented libations barrel here in the States, Colt 45. You can't get any lower in malt beverages. :P

Ah! We have 20/20 too! I used to drink it when I was a kid :oops:

*runs away to Google the rest*

Do you have horrible disgusting ciders that come in 2 litre bottles and cost £3? When me and my second youngest brother were broke we used to live next door to each other and get those all the time. White Lightning, Frosty Jack, Ice Dragon....?

What grossed me out the most was the chick "demonstrating" how she goes to the bathroom. It must have been the producers idea because she could have explained it just as easily without visual aids.

That bathroom demonstration also grossed me out. Out of curiosity, I decided to look through twop thread for Extreme Cheapskates. Some of the posters think the show is fake and staged. I think parts of the show are staged, but not everything is. One person thinks that the dumpster diving scenes that Kate and a person on another episode did were staged. Some are saying that they think Kate has mental problems and is lonely. I get a lonely vibe from Kate and I think she is very socially awkward.

I live in a huge college town. At my apartment complex, there are tons of students moving in and out. They just place bags of stuff they don't feel like packing by the dumpsters. I have no shame in admitting I take them to at least have a look if there is anything good.

I have gotten some really good novels, and there are ALWAYS textbooks. I check half.com for each of them, and if there isn't a good offer, they go off to Goodwill.

There are treasures mixed in, though. There was a TESOL book that got me 75.00, and I've sold at least half of the good textbooks I've gotten.

DVDs and CDs (I got several seasons of the Simpsons, some really funny cult comedies, and a few classic rock CDs this way) and even clothes show up. I don't often keep the clothes (okay, once there was a SERIOUSLY cute scarf). I clean up what I find, and what I don't keep gets dropped off at Goodwill.

I've never done anything with food, though. I'm not entirely sure I'd feel comfortable.

I live in a huge college town. At my apartment complex, there are tons of students moving in and out. They just place bags of stuff they don't feel like packing by the dumpsters. I have no shame in admitting I take them to at least have a look if there is anything good.

I have gotten some really good novels, and there are ALWAYS textbooks. I check half.com for each of them, and if there isn't a good offer, they go off to Goodwill.

There are treasures mixed in, though. There was a TESOL book that got me 75.00, and I've sold at least half of the good textbooks I've gotten.

DVDs and CDs (I got several seasons of the Simpsons, some really funny cult comedies, and a few classic rock CDs this way) and even clothes show up. I don't often keep the clothes (okay, once there was a SERIOUSLY cute scarf). I clean up what I find, and what I don't keep gets dropped off at Goodwill.

I've never done anything with food, though. I'm not entirely sure I'd feel comfortable.

I got one of my favorite sweaters and even a TV that way. We have all analog TVs (4) in this house and haven't paid more than $20 for any of them (we had two when we moved in here, tossed those as definitely the worse for wear, and got "new" ones plus two more so every room has one now). I think it's crazy that people are tossing perfectly good TVs just because they want an LED/LCD, but whatev. ;-) We'll ride this trend for all it's worth until no one is tossing them anymore.

Has anyone watched the newer episodes? I watched one the other day that featured a woman named Victoria who became an extreme cheapskate after having hard times as a single mom. She is in her 40s or 50s and she pees in a bottle to save on water bills and she dumpster dives for food.

Has anyone watched the newer episodes? I watched one the other day that featured a woman named Victoria who became an extreme cheapskate after having hard times as a single mom. She is in her 40s or 50s and she pees in a bottle to save on water bills and she dumpster dives for food.

I saw the teaser for that and deliberately avoided it. Just, ewww. "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down" is about as far as I'll go to save on the water bill -- and then only to within reasonable limits.

• 7 months later...

Didn't her boyfriend move in and she talked him into peeing in a bottle too?

Didn't her boyfriend move in and she talked him into peeing in a bottle too?

Yep. If that were me, I'd have split. These people just don't seem to enjoy life.

ETA I just think about Roy, and I get sympathy pissed for his poor wife. He married her because she had dental insurance, he got her dumpster gifts for their 25th wedding anniversary, and broke his promise by asking strangers for their leftovers at the restaurant he took her to. He's a mental tool, and I have to question her self esteem and mental capacity for selling herself so short and settling for a man who doesn't think she's worth a retail Hallmark card. I don't care how many dogs they rescue, he's a jerk.

I wonder if these people sack away thousands upon thousands of bucks. What do they dow ith it?

I wonder if these people sack away thousands upon thousands of bucks. What do they dow ith it?

I remember them saying that the lady who peed in a bottle was a millionaire. I have no idea what they do with it. maybe they just like to check their bank balance numerous times a day and get turned on by the zeros?

Archived