IGNORED

Bathroom Baby has a room AND a bed now?? Life's good for T1.

Morton Fan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That looks like a crib mattress on the floor. Better than a pack and play in the bathroom, but still not really a bed.

Many Montessori parents do this, I think it is to give the child a greater ability to get into and out of bed themselves. But that's probably giving That Wife to much benefit of the doubt, isn't it?

That looks like a crib mattress on the floor. Better than a pack and play in the bathroom, but still not really a bed.

Oh no! I think you're right upon second look. Will T1 EVER get some lumbar support?!

Oh no! I think you're right upon second look. Will T1 EVER get some lumbar support?!

What does a bed frame have to do with lumbar support? A mattress on the floor provides plenty of support for the child as well as giving them the ability to explore their environment on their own. If that is poor parenting then lock me up, cause that is how we plan to sleep our children. Floor beds are perfect options if you so choose to do that.

What does a bed frame have to do with lumbar support? A mattress on the floor provides plenty of support for the child as well as giving them the ability to explore their environment on their own. If that is poor parenting then lock me up, cause that is how we plan to sleep our children. Floor beds are perfect options if you so choose to do that.

Yep, we had DSs mattress on the floor from 10mos (when he started climbing out of the crib) to 2 1/2. On the recommendation of his doctor, we put DSs mattress on the floor and ultra-childproofed the room: dead bolted the closet shut, bolted the furniture to the wall. locked all the dresser drawers except the bottom ones and put a door knob cover over the inside doorknob. (DS was climbing out of bed and falling- he'd also managed to climb out unscathed a few times and we found him asleep in the couch or at the foot of our beds. So, yes, we were fine with the door knob cover and a baby monitor.)

At least he's not sleeping in the bathroom anymore. Yes, lots of parents put mattresses directly on the floor when children are first transitioning to their toddler bed. If they roll out of bed, they aren't going to be injured. Maybe T1 is hiding the cheese in his bed room?

I am curious if the kid has more then 4 toys. It's one thing to be minimal it's another to just disregard their importance, cause they seem messy.

I went straight from a crib to an actual bed- pretty young too, I wasn't even 2- and I didn't have any issues with falling out of the bed, or problems exploring. Same with my siblings and niece. In fact, I would get out of my own crib before that and then back in.

I honestly don't care if the kid is temporarally in a mattress on the floor, but it's not a good long term solution because it keeps air from circulating around the mattress, which can cause it to get funky. It's also not an actual "real bed." And it's the "real bed" in a "real Bedroom" thing that I kind of wonder about.

At least he's not sleeping in the bathroom anymore. Yes, lots of parents put mattresses directly on the floor when children are first transitioning to their toddler bed. If they roll out of bed, they aren't going to be injured. Maybe T1 is hiding the cheese in his bed room?

I agree with this.

I agree with this.

Yes, a bed on the floor is still a massive step up from the bathroom pack-n-play he's apparently been slumbering in for 2.5 years!

I went straight from a crib to an actual bed- pretty young too, I wasn't even 2- and I didn't have any issues with falling out of the bed, or problems exploring. Same with my siblings and niece. In fact, I would get out of my own crib before that and then back in.

I honestly don't care if the kid is temporarally in a mattress on the floor, but it's not a good long term solution because it keeps air from circulating around the mattress, which can cause it to get funky. It's also not an actual "real bed." And it's the "real bed" in a "real Bedroom" thing that I kind of wonder about.

A floor bed is a "real bed". Circulation issues can be solved by lifting the mattress, not that difficult. Everyone has their own idea of a "real bed" I suppose, but really to say it isn't is quite silly.

Letting a child climb out of their own crib is highly dangerous. Children often fall and can have severe neck injuries and it's really not worth the risk. Just because you nor your siblings were injured does not mean it's not a possibility.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/ma ... -each-year

The above article talks about children who climb out and get injured. Even if you choose NOT to do a floor bed, please take precautions so your child can not climb out of their cribs.

(link not broken, no need it's a health site)

I don't think there's anything wrong with a floor bed, but I'm more worried that she never interacts with T1, and doesn't allow him any toys. So there's still plenty wrong with her parenting even once you take the kid out of the bathroom. That kid's been in the bathroom for far too long, and her doing what she should have been doing all along isn't praise worthy to me. If she talks about actually interacting with him and letting him have toys, then i might be satisfied. Though I really hope she doesn't put a second child in a bathroom, since she seems to think that's a perfectly good place for a baby.

A floor bed is a "real bed". Circulation issues can be solved by lifting the mattress, not that difficult. Everyone has their own idea of a "real bed" I suppose, but really to say it isn't is quite silly.

Letting a child climb out of their own crib is highly dangerous. Children often fall and can have severe neck injuries and it's really not worth the risk. Just because you nor your siblings were injured does not mean it's not a possibility.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/ma ... -each-year

The above article talks about children who climb out and get injured. Even if you choose NOT to do a floor bed, please take precautions so your child can not climb out of their cribs.

(link not broken, no need it's a health site)

I don't have kids and probably won't have them. BUT even if I do, I will put them in a real bed unless there is another issue. In our culture a mattress on the floor is not a real bed. If it were a mat or something made to be put on the floor and rolled up daily it wouldn't be an issue- but look at the photo- it is a mattress on the floor.

And you don't have kids yet either, so you can't say if a floor bed will be what works for you or not. I'm all for what works for one family may or may not work for another, but I don't think that a mattress on the floor is sanitary. There is too much of a risk for mold and dust build up, which can increase allergies in a child.

And FWIW, my parents forbid me to climb out of the crib, and tried to figure out how I was doing it in order to prevent it, but they could never catch me in the process. (and they weren't about to put a mattress on the floor, so before I was 2 I got my own bed, which I still have in my guest bedroom, it's an old family child sized bedroom set from the 1860's- twin bed and a dresser.)

The bigger question is still unanswered. Is the cheese still locked up? :lol:

I've wondered this a lot, Experiencedd, since she's now expecting delightful blessing number two. She mentioned in earlier posts/tweets that she felt she had to eat frequently to curtail nausea, and the nausea seems to have continued well into the second trimester. Will TH let this slide? Perhaps she can make a PowerPoint presentation to plead her cheese case.

So with t2 on the way will she/he have to sleep in the bathroom? Real estate is expensive as hell in san fran and you know the family will prioritize a tiny, cute apartment in the heart of the city over a bigger space in the outskirts.

The first thing you do when a toddler looks like he's able to climb out of his crib is to childproof the hell out of the room and put them in a bed. Children can be seriously injured if parents allow them to climb, and the younger they are the more dangerous it can be. Once DD was close to 2 and we caught her trying to climb out, the transition had to be made. We have a convertible crib, so we pulled the toddler rail out of the basement and installed it.

I'm not surprised - T1 was almost certainly able to climb out of the Pack & Play, regardless of where it was. I'd go to IKEA and get a $59 toddler bed rather than put a crib mattress on the floor, but that's a personal preference.

I don't have kids and probably won't have them. BUT even if I do, I will put them in a real bed unless there is another issue. In our culture a mattress on the floor is not a real bed. If it were a mat or something made to be put on the floor and rolled up daily it wouldn't be an issue- but look at the photo- it is a mattress on the floor.

And you don't have kids yet either, so you can't say if a floor bed will be what works for you or not. I'm all for what works for one family may or may not work for another, but I don't think that a mattress on the floor is sanitary. There is too much of a risk for mold and dust build up, which can increase allergies in a child.

And FWIW, my parents forbid me to climb out of the crib, and tried to figure out how I was doing it in order to prevent it, but they could never catch me in the process. (and they weren't about to put a mattress on the floor, so before I was 2 I got my own bed, which I still have in my guest bedroom, it's an old family child sized bedroom set from the 1860's- twin bed and a dresser.)

I don't have a kid yet, no, but that doesn't matter. I don't have to have children to know that I will be trying a floor bed and that letting your children climb out of a crib is dangerous. Just because you don't think it's sanitary doesn't make that true. I'm not sure what having or not having children has to do with that.

You were under 2 and your parent "forbade" you from climbing out? Seriously? You were a small child who couldn't understand the safety issues. They made a choice to give you a bed on a frame. And that is fine. Just as if they had given you a floor bed.

I don't have a kid yet, no, but that doesn't matter. I don't have to have children to know that I will be trying a floor bed and that letting your children climb out of a crib is dangerous. Just because you don't think it's sanitary doesn't make that true. I'm not sure what having or not having children has to do with that.

You were under 2 and your parent "forbade" you from climbing out? Seriously? You were a small child who couldn't understand the safety issues. They made a choice to give you a bed on a frame. And that is fine. Just as if they had given you a floor bed.

It has to do with you accusing me of hurting my kids and thinking that one way is the only way.

I actually remember being told to not climb out of the bed and why. I also remember being told to not pick up my little sister who is 40 months younger than me. And when I asked my mom about a couple of vague memories I have, they were from the house that they lived in before I was a year old. Yes, I was an odd child.

I have severe allergies as an adult (no idea why, I fit all the childhood factors where I should not have these allergies, except that my grandma had extreme allergies and my aunt does too.), I can't imagine being a child and reacting to something and not knowing why, or being able to tell their parents how they feel. (And I do have memories of being frustrated about not being able to communicate with my parents. The fact that I remember these things has become a family joke.) Why, why, why would you put your child at higher risk for allergies, since early exposure to household molds is a major risk factor? Why?

My mom told me that on one of the many occasions I climbed out of my crib, I caught my foot in the string of toys that was hanging above the crib. She heard me crying in a weird way and when she ran in there, I was dangling by my ankle upside down over the floor. I think that's when I got a regular bed.

I also remember being told to not pick up my little sister who is 40 months older than me...Yes, I was an odd child.

You must've been an odd child to be 40 months younger than your little sister. :lol:

Eh, I was a Montessori kid so maybe it really is a thing with us, but I definitely slept on a futon for most of my formative years. I slept with my mom/brother until I was about 4 because we lived in a really small house in rural Greece, but by the time we moved back to the states I just slept on a ~mattress on the floor~.

Everything worked out for me. :)

It has to do with you accusing me of hurting my kids and thinking that one way is the only way.

I actually remember being told to not climb out of the bed and why. I also remember being told to not pick up my little sister who is 40 months older than me. And when I asked my mom about a couple of vague memories I have, they were from the house that they lived in before I was a year old. Yes, I was an odd child.

I have severe allergies as an adult (no idea why, I fit all the childhood factors where I should not have these allergies, except that my grandma had extreme allergies and my aunt does too.), I can't imagine being a child and reacting to something and not knowing why, or being able to tell their parents how they feel. (And I do have memories of being frustrated about not being able to communicate with my parents. The fact that I remember these things has become a family joke.) Why, why, why would you put your child at higher risk for allergies, since early exposure to household molds is a major risk factor? Why?

No where did I accuse you of harming your children.

You may have a memory but that doesn't mean you understood what the statement meant nor the consequences if you continued to do such. We can all have vague memories of childhood.

I have hideous allergies and I can sleep on a floor bed just fine. It's about cleanliness. Keep it clean, make an effort to eliminate the dust surrounding the bed, and keep a schedule up in order to keep the area clean. You should be doing that anyway. There are loads of ways you can expose your children to allergens, you can't keep everything from them at all times.

Archived