IGNORED

Meghan McCain: 'I'm not voting with my vagina'

doggie

Yep. I get so frustrated with my friends who talk about issues as though they are freestanding. "Oh, I'd love to worry about women's rights, but I'm too busy focusing on the economy." Guess what! Women's rights affect the economy! If we have a zillion accidental babies because women have issues getting contraception and abortions, that is going to take women out of the workplace more, it is going to affect the overall education level of HALF OF THE POPULATION, it's going to cause a rise in the funds that WIC and Medicare need, it's going to affect how much we spend in public schooling, child protective services, family courts, etc. I mean, no issue exists in a bubble, but especially not something like reproductive rights.

With the concurrent slashing of the social safety net that these people espouse, it's going to mean a lot of dead babies.

DEAD BABIES

There's your hypocrisy right there.

Why does she assume that voting with one's pocketbook would mean voting Republican?

For those who are not wealthy (that is, the majority), the vagina, the pocketbook and the sense of morality may be lining up quite nicely.

When I see that "I'm not voting with my vagina" bullshit, I just want to strangle the woman who said it. Because, in my mind, she is basically saying that she does not value her reproductive rights, she does not value her right to free choice OR even better, she cares more about money than either of those things.

ETA AND also, most annoyingly of all, she does not value the rights of the OTHER women in the country, and / or is willing to put her money ahead of those rights.

Can someone lend me a vagina to vote with, my dick is too short to reach the handle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why I take birth control...if I don't I'm in unbearable pain about 2 days a month. Like can't move, can't even speak kind of pain. Birth control was the only thing that made me able to function. The only other choice would be missing 2 days a month of work which would probably mean I couldn't keep a job which would be bad for the economy. But unwanted children often mean a woman can't work as much as she would have, mean she will have a lot less money, and is overall bad for the economy. So if you care about the economy, you should make sure women have reproductive freedom.

There's no election in the near future over here so no opportunity to vote with my lady parts then, and our elections don't have women's reproductive rights as an issue , because no one would elect an openly anti choice leader of this country. But I sincerely hope every female American FJ member votes as though your lady parts depend on it. Because they do.

Same here, the reason I went on birth control had nothing to do with trying to prevent an unplanned pregnancy, but to reduce cramping and days so heavy that a pad and a tampon weren't enough at times. It also got rid of the mood swings from PMS as well as stopping the monthly breakouts a week before the cycle started. Besides, having access to contraception and being able to decide when to have children is important for the economy as others have mentioned, so I'm definitely voting with my uterus as well as for my niece as her economic future is at stake, as well as her health.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: I think it's alright just to vote on behalf of the rights of the vagina possessors that you know. I'd think voting with your vagina takes practice, so it wouldn't work with one your were just borrowing :lol:

:lol: I think it's alright just to vote on behalf of the rights of the vagina possessors that you know. I'd think voting with your vagina takes practice, so it wouldn't work with one your were just borrowing :lol:

Well I mean, I guess if you've done enough kegels you could hold a pen with it. Unless you're Michelle Duggar.....then you'd need one of those jumbo markers......and a small elephant to climb on in and hold it in it's trunk. ;)

ETA Damn rogue apostrophe!

Is that a challenge?!? :twisted: What do I win if I succeed in making an X with my vagigripped pencil ? :D

I have had 2 children although it was so long ago I am SURE the valastic has snapped back into its

original vice grip shape.

I'll join the challenge! I delivered both of my babies "unto Caesar", so I think I could get the job done! Those poor little elderly poll workers are going to have heart attacks when I lift my skirt! :-o

Aw man I thought I was so clever with the pen thing, I didn't realize it had already been done on this thread! Always a day late and a vagina short I tell ya!

I'm generally not a single-issue voter either, but I truly believe that the Tea Party Republicans want to strip women of their rights in society. They've pretty much openly declared war on women. Reproductive choice is just the opening salvo because they can cloak it in religion. I had my tubes tied after my second child was born, so access to birth control does not affect me. I am the mother of a daughter and I'll be goddamned if she's brought up in the American Taliban.

It can affect every aspect of a woman's life because some women don't take birth control just to protect from pregnancy. They take it so they can be a fully functional person every day of the month. I remember an opinion piece during the whole Sandra Fluke mess, on CNN's religion page from a young Catholic women in her early twenties, who said she had been on birth control since she was 16 because it helped her function. It helped regulate her body so she wasn't biting the heads off her family and she could concentrate on her school work.

Since the Repugs insist on treating my vagina and related parts as their personal battleground, damn straight I'll be voting with it. :lol:

For me, the buck stops here. When it's a question of my (or any woman's) personal autonomy and privacy, no other issue matters until the American Taliban is kicked back under the rock they crawled out from.

Aw man I thought I was so clever with the pen thing, I didn't realize it had already been done on this thread! Always a day late and a vagina short I tell ya!

LOLOLOLOL! :lol:

Translation: I'm rich enough to be able to get a safe abortion even if it becomes illegal in the U.S. and I care more about staying rich than making sure poorer women also have control of their reproductive health.

This. This times a thousand.

Translation: I'm rich enough to be able to get a safe abortion even if it becomes illegal in the U.S. and I care more about staying rich than making sure poorer women also have control of their reproductive health.

Which is stupid logic. It's cheaper to pay for birth control than the costs of a poor woman's pregnancy and birth. The average cost of a birth without complications is around $10,000 here in the US. It also saves on the costs of raising a child. It is one less child that will need government to pay for their health care. It's one less child needing public dollars for schooling. It is one less child that grows up and repeats the cycle of poverty all over again.

If you want to understand the power of legalization of abortion on the crime, which the Republican's should support, read Freakonomics. It will surprise you.

I am voting mail in this year so my vagina can vote in the privatize of my home not in a public voting booth. It is has it mind made up and ready to go.

Now that I think about it, there's no way to prevent my vagina from coming into the voting cubicle with me, so I guess I'll be voting with my vagina after all. My brain, heart, and wallet will also be present, my internal organs are working on a coalition vote.

This should take care od everything. Now your pocketbook IS your vagina!

wwwdotartgoddess.com/purses.html

Shall we send one to Ms. McCain?

there's also the fact that McArdle and her husband both were trained by and received funding from various Koch-brother funded groups like the Cato Institute.

http://shameproject.com/profile/megan-mcardle/

She LITERALLY votes with her pocketbook - she's a hack who works for regular organizations but gets side money from rightwingers to do it.

This post is about Meghan McCain, who is the daughter of AZ Senator John McCain. Not Megan McArdle.

ack, thank you! I didn't realize anyone published McCain's stuff anywhere so i skimmed over her name in the OP (I used to read McArdle on the Atlantic).

Guest Anonymous

I'm generally not a single-issue voter either, but I truly believe that the Tea Party Republicans want to strip women of their rights in society. They've pretty much openly declared war on women. Reproductive choice is just the opening salvo because they can cloak it in religion. I had my tubes tied after my second child was born, so access to birth control does not affect me. I am the mother of a daughter and I'll be goddamned if she's brought up in the American Taliban.

Romney talked about binders of women and us needing flex time to get home on time to get dinner on the table, and then blamed single-parent households, most headed by women, as the reason for violent. In one evening, and when he knew millions were being watched. If he admits this publicly, what is he thinking privately?