IGNORED

Sister Wives

Alecto

Were there so few polygamist women to choose from that Kody started marrying women (specifically Janelle and Christine) even though he admittedly wasn't attracted to them?

Or, maybe Meri wanted him to marry women he wasn't attracted to so that he would still get into the inner circle of heaven (or whatever it is called), yet Meri wouldn't have to share him w/ an woman he actually loved.

If I recall correctly one of them was a status marriage. I think Christine.... maybe. She was the daughter of a big name in the church.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall correctly one of them was a status marriage. I think Christine.... maybe. She was the daughter of a big name in the church.

anybody have any sources for this information? I'd like to read more about that if there is more.

anybody have any sources for this information? I'd like to read more about that if there is more.

From sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/cast-of-polygamy-players.html

The Apostolic United Brethren (AUB): Also known as the Allred Group after its founder, Rulon Allred, Christine Brown’s grandfather. This Church is headquartered in Bluffdale, UT. This is a more liberal fundamentalist group and is the most well-known group to be currently accepting new members. The AUB is known for allowing members to make their own decisions regarding marriage, and disallowing underage marriage. Authorization to court must be obtained by church authorities Hus­bands are expected to consult with and obtain the consent of existing wives before considering courtship with another potential bride.

Looks like her grandfather was the founder of the church, which I'm sure made her a "good catch."

"Looks like her grandfather was the founder of the church, which I'm sure made her a "good catch."

I think also that Robyn's first husband is a grandson of the founder. He and Christine are first cousins. So she is both "mom" and first-cousin once removed to Robyn's children (except the one she had with Kody). Luckily, Janelle's mother married Kody's father after her child-bearing years. With all the inbreeding, I guess it's suprising that this lot isn't even stupider than they are.

I'll probably watch the train wreck. Just to see Kody be suprised that with 4 huge houses, four wives, 17 kids, no jobs and extravagant spending, he actually has financial problems.

"Looks like her grandfather was the founder of the church, which I'm sure made her a "good catch."

I think also that Robyn's first husband is a grandson of the founder. He and Christine are first cousins. So she is both "mom" and first-cousin once removed to Robyn's children (except the one she had with Kody). Luckily, Janelle's mother married Kody's father after her child-bearing years. With all the inbreeding, I guess it's suprising that this lot isn't even stupider than they are.

I'll probably watch the train wreck. Just to see Kody be suprised that with 4 huge houses, four wives, 17 kids, no jobs and extravagant spending, he actually has financial problems.

Intermarrying in polygamous sects seems to be the norm though. When the YFZ Ranch here in Texas was raided they removed a boatload of kids and the majority of them shared something live five or six last names. Granted, part of that also has to do with a huge number of wives popping out kiddos whenever possible.

I have to admit that it's easier for me to give up the Duggars than watching this train wreck. I cant help it. I'm weirdly fascinated by this whole polygamy thing. It doesnt piss me off the way crazy fundies like the Duggars do.

I think I like this show the most because they 1) emphasis that faith is a choice for the kids and 2) it's expected the kids go to college. Also, they admit it isn't perfect, but they are trying. It humanizes them, I think.

Of course there are several things which make me scratch my head

1) How does the financing work out? In Utah, it almost seemed like it made sense with two adults working full time, one stay at home mom and one mom working part time/going to school. But in Nevada? I don't get it

2) What the heck happened between Meri and Janelle 'back in the day' before Christine joined the family? Everyone admits it was 'bad', but really?

3) Why on earth would anyone think Kody is a catch? I cannot stand him - he comes across like a lost little boy who needs his wives to care for him, about him and constantly pick up after him. I'm glad they don't practice the whole 'being sweet' and 'submitting' to him; they clearly tell him when there is a problem and the expectation is that he will change to accommodate.

I think I like this show the most because they 1) emphasis that faith is a choice for the kids and 2) it's expected the kids go to college. Also, they admit it isn't perfect, but they are trying. It humanizes them, I think.

Of course there are several things which make me scratch my head

1) How does the financing work out? In Utah, it almost seemed like it made sense with two adults working full time, one stay at home mom and one mom working part time/going to school. But in Nevada? I don't get it

2) What the heck happened between Meri and Janelle 'back in the day' before Christine joined the family? Everyone admits it was 'bad', but really?

3) Why on earth would anyone think Kody is a catch? I cannot stand him - he comes across like a lost little boy who needs his wives to care for him, about him and constantly pick up after him. I'm glad they don't practice the whole 'being sweet' and 'submitting' to him; they clearly tell him when there is a problem and the expectation is that he will change to accommodate.

That one boggles the mind too. Why would four women want to be married to this oaf?? If he was Brad Pitt or Ewan McGregor, that would be one thing... :)

Well, sometimes the wives talk about how a problem in their relationship with Kody is their fault. And I think that's kind of like submitting. There's something wrong with that.

Guest Anonymous

I'd like to see how they are doing now since last season all four women put a down payment on land so they could build homes together. I still don't know how they could afford to do that since it seems like a bulk of their money is from the show. Maybe the women's jewelry line is doing well. I checked it out online and I didn't like it and it seemed way overpriced.

I know ! The financial questions are, by far, the most interesting. How did they afford to move? How did they afford rent on four homes? How do they think they will be able to afford building homes? The mind boggles.

Any idea what happened with the gym? I did think Janelle could have made that work. She seemed committed and capable. She's really grown on me. I think she's easily the most realistic of them all.

• 2 weeks later...

TLC! However, I would like to be educated on the details of how Robyn was released from her debt, her numbers bumped up and approved for a good sized loan in 2 weeks? Oh, right...TLC magic!

There's a great blog with lots of activity about this show, in case it hasn't been mentioned before, it is sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com. They really snark on the show. It's quite fun.

I don't know that I believe that they don't "submit" to him. It's been hinted at and outright stated a few times that whatever Kody says goes. They've said things like "I was going to say something, but once he puts his foot down that's it." or something. Which in a normal marriage might indicate just a lot of stubbornness but this isn't a normal marriage, this is a fundamentalist Mormon marriage. I highly doubt that it's "equal".

Anyone check out mysisterwifescloset.com? The photo on the HOME page is odd -- it looks like Robyn has SUPER long arms wrapping up all four sisterwives. Also... their jewelry is interesting. The Claddagh hands are a little creepy.

RE: Meri's wet bar

Am I missing something, they do not consume alcohol right? Ok, perhaps she wants it for the basement , but they do not have basements in Nevada ?

It seems, the wet bar has turned into one of those " points" she has to make. It probably started as a fun " thinking out loud " idea. Then maybe someone said something that offended Meri and now she needs the wet bar to prove some point.

Happy Thanksgiving! I am very thankful for FJ!,!!1!!!

Kody doesn't drink alcohol for sure. There was an ep where he went to a bar with his brother and sat there drinking water and feeling awkward. If Kody doesn't drink I can't picture Meri drinking either. It's generally frowned upon in the mainstream LDS church and I imagine the FLDS church is similar in that regard.

The more I watch this train wreck, the angrier I get at Meri. She uses the "woe is me, I can't have more children so I should have the same size house and budget as the others" but when given the chance for another child she won't make a decision. Clearly she doesn't want the work of another baby, but won't admit that because then she would lose the perks of being the pitiful wife with "only" one child. What's worse is that she has convinced Mariah that she really wants another baby, so Mariah runs away crying when Robyn announces a pregnancy, and can't understand why her mother won't take the surrogacy offer.

The more I watch this train wreck, the angrier I get at Meri. She uses the "woe is me, I can't have more children so I should have the same size house and budget as the others" but when given the chance for another child she won't make a decision. Clearly she doesn't want the work of another baby, but won't admit that because then she would lose the perks of being the pitiful wife with "only" one child. What's worse is that she has convinced Mariah that she really wants another baby, so Mariah runs away crying when Robyn announces a pregnancy, and can't understand why her mother won't take the surrogacy offer.

I wouldn't take a surrogacy offer from anyone, much less someone like Robin or whatever. You can't honestly see how something like that could fuck the dynamics of an already dysfunctional family situation? Seriously?*

*nothing against people who have had functional surrogacy. This is not a functional family to begin with.

I can understand the hesitancy of surrogacy via Robyn, but she's also refused in vitro. Plus, she's contributing to the family dysfunction by insisting on the same size house and budget for one child as Janelle and Christine, who each have six children.

Meri is annoying, agreed. However, I don't think anyone should have to consent to something as invasive and expensive and heart wrenching as IVF if they don't want to. It's okay to want a baby and not want IVF and not want surrogacy.

First, let me point out I do not think they should be buying four mini McMansions.

But if they were actually in a good financial situation, I think it is only fair that Meri purchase the same size house. Yes the housing market sucks in Nevada but a house is still an asset. In 30 years when those houses are hypothetically paid off, Meri is entitled to a home worth a similar amount as the other wives. It's all about money and fairness. Perhaps Meri is worried Kody will die prematurely and would like to have an asset she can sell if necessary. It would not be fair for the other wives to have larger assets to sell when all the kids are grown and out the house.

Alternatively, i think they could attempt to purchase the homes individually and then place them into one trust. Make each of the four wives a equal beneficiary of the trust. Therefore, equally splitting the ownership of the assets.

This family really needs to seek the advice of a financially professional. First to get there finances in line and then to plan for situations that could challenge them in the future. I think they were doing "ok" back in Utah. Sure they didn't have room for Robyn. But that could easily have been fixed with an addition or even a trailer, if zoning laws would permit one on their property. Plus they have a bunch of children heading to college in the next few years. That is going to free up space. I think tlc went to Kody's head. It is hard to imagine how they will ever be able to afford to retire. I feel like next season on Sister Wives, is going to look like the show "Downsizing".

First, let me point out I do not think they should be buying four mini McMansions.

But if they were actually in a good financial situation, I think it is only fair that Meri purchase the same size house. Yes the housing market sucks in Nevada but a house is still an asset. In 30 years when those houses are hypothetically paid off, Meri is entitled to a home worth a similar amount as the other wives. It's all about money and fairness. Perhaps Meri is worried Kody will die prematurely and would like to have an asset she can sell if necessary. It would not be fair for the other wives to have larger assets to sell when all the kids are grown and out the house.

Alternatively, i think they could attempt to purchase the homes individually and then place them into one trust. Make each of the four wives a equal beneficiary of the trust. Therefore, equally splitting the ownership of the assets.

This family really needs to seek the advice of a financially professional. First to get there finances in line and then to plan for situations that could challenge them in the future. I think they were doing "ok" back in Utah. Sure they didn't have room for Robyn. But that could easily have been fixed with an addition or even a trailer, if zoning laws would permit one on their property. Plus they have a bunch of children heading to college in the next few years. That is going to free up space. I think tlc went to Kody's head. It is hard to imagine how they will ever be able to afford to retire. I feel like next season on Sister Wives, is going to look like the show "Downsizing".

That house will represent debt, not an asset. Her name is on the mortgage. Houses take money to operate, aside from paying down the mortgage - you don't pay property taxes, insurance or utilities on a savings bond. If the house is simply replacing what you would be renting, it can be a good deal, but otherwise it's a non-liquid asset that isn't producing income and that actually costs money to maintain.

Archived