Witsec5

I did not want to ruin the 19 K&C God Save us All thread With Duggar math so I thought I would start a new thread. Who knows maybe give TLC some ideas-LOL. Anyway for the first contribution I have decided to calculate all of the plastic utensils, plates, and cups the Duggars use per year (not counting Josh, Anna and the kids) assuming two meals per day and not recycling anything. The prices assume that they buy these items by the case of 1000. They probably don't. Their cup usage could be even greater than my calculations. I also calculated the sheer number of plastic items going into the landfill.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is that I'm tired of all of the folksy "fun facts" trivia TLC puts out.

21 x 2 = 21 people counting Grandma 1 plastic fork each x two meals a day = 42 forks per day 21 x 2 = 42 (1 plastic knife each x two meals a day = 42 knives per day) 21 x 2 = 42 (1 plate or bowl each for two meals = 42 paper or plastic plates per day)

21 x 2 = 42 (1 8 ounce foam cup each for two meals = 42 foam cups per day)

42 x 7 = 294 forks per week, 294 knives per week and 294 plastic/paper plates or bowls per week, and 294 foam 8 ounce cups per week 294 x 52 weeks in a year = 15288 plastic forks per year, 15288 plastic knives per year, 15288 plastic/paper plates per year, 15288 foam 8 ounce cups per year

Case of paper plates 1000 count is 36.99 plus tax at Staples. $36.99 x 15.28 = $565.20 on paper plates

1000 plastic forks are 17.14 on Amazon.com 17.14 x 15.288 = 262.03 on plastic forks

1000 plastic knives 19.99 at Staples $19.99 x 15.288 =305.61 on plastic knives

1000 8 ounce foam cups $24.98 with shipping online

24.98 x 15.28 = 381.61 for foam cups 565.20 plates + 262.03 forks + 305.61 knives + 381.61 foam cups = $1514.45

61152 pieces of plastic for the landfills per year

I did not want to ruin the 19 K&C God Save us All thread With Duggar math so I thought I would start a new thread. Who knows maybe give TLC some ideas-LOL. Anyway for the first contribution I have decided to calculate all of the plastic utensils, plates, and cups the Duggars use per year (not counting Josh, Anna and the kids) assuming two meals per day and not recycling anything. The prices assume that they buy these items by the case of 1000. They probably don't. Their cup usage could be even greater than my calculations. I also calculated the sheer number of plastic items going into the landfill.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is that I'm tired of all of the folksy "fun facts" trivia TLC puts out.

21 x 2 = 21 people counting Grandma 1 plastic fork each x two meals a day = 42 forks per day 21 x 2 = 42 (1 plastic knife each x two meals a day = 42 knives per day) 21 x 2 = 42 (1 plate or bowl each for two meals = 42 paper or plastic plates per day)

21 x 2 = 42 (1 8 ounce foam cup each for two meals = 42 foam cups per day)

42 x 7 = 294 forks per week, 294 knives per week and 294 plastic/paper plates or bowls per week, and 294 foam 8 ounce cups per week 294 x 52 weeks in a year = 15288 plastic forks per year, 15288 plastic knives per year, 15288 plastic/paper plates per year, 15288 foam 8 ounce cups per year

Case of paper plates 1000 count is 36.99 plus tax at Staples. $36.99 x 15.28 = $565.20 on paper plates

1000 plastic forks are 17.14 on Amazon.com 17.14 x 15.288 = 262.03 on plastic forks

1000 plastic knives 19.99 at Staples $19.99 x 15.288 =305.61 on plastic knives

1000 8 ounce foam cups $24.98 with shipping online

24.98 x 15.28 = 381.61 for foam cups 565.20 plates + 262.03 forks + 305.61 knives + 381.61 foam cups = $1514.45

61152 pieces of plastic for the landfills per year

Dont forget the thousands of cans from their cream of whatever soup, beans, veggies etc that we know they arent recycling!

I used all disposable stuff for about 2 months during a time I was in extreme pain and loss off mobility prior to a surgery. I felt so guilty! It was just such a burden to load and empty the dishwasher or stand at the sink, but I seriously angsted about my decision for a solid week.

But, you know, even with pure laziness, it is not hard to load and unload a dishwasher of glassware. Putting away cutlery can be fussy, but drinking glasses? If everybody had their own glass, kept track of it, rinsed it, etc throughout the day, and then they ran all 20+ through their nice industrial dishwasher at the end of the day and then got them out the next morning, it would be so easy.

Have they ever explained this?

On the other hand, at least one of the girls doesn't spend eons doing dishes.

Instead of opening a can, maybe the Duggars can get fresh veggies and fruits and use a recycled bag. Saves a lot of resources. These people are just selfish.

<-- Shuddering environmentalist having a panic attack while just trying to picturing that.

edited to add "while" and "trying to" to make it look lyke i kan haz teh speekz.

If Grandma can do everyone's laundry, can't they designate someone to do the dishes? It's something even the younger boys can do. I agree that it's not hard to have each person use their own glassware. Label it with the kid's name and each child puts it in the dishwasher at night (or designated time of day). It's also not hard to provide plates, utensils and bowels for each child. They have a industrial dishwasher, they can do a lot of dishes with one load. Plus, given their frugal leanings ("buy used, save the difference"), it makes more sense to wash dishes than to use paper plates. Maybe the older girls are feeling overloaded with childcare and housework and paper plates is a way to cut back. That seems like even more reason to enlist the younger boys to help. After all, if the boys are taught the joy of quiverful lifestyle, they should know what it's like to do keep the dishes washed for 21 people.

<-- Shuddering environmentalist having a panic attack just picturing that.

Imagine if Serial Mom (Kathleen Turner) moved in next door to the Duggars.

I used all disposable stuff for about 2 months during a time I was in extreme pain and loss off mobility prior to a surgery. I felt so guilty! It was just such a burden to load and empty the dishwasher or stand at the sink, but I seriously angsted about my decision for a solid week.

But, you know, even with pure laziness, it is not hard to load and unload a dishwasher of glassware. Putting away cutlery can be fussy, but drinking glasses? If everybody had their own glass, kept track of it, rinsed it, etc throughout the day, and then they ran all 20+ through their nice industrial dishwasher at the end of the day and then got them out the next morning, it would be so easy.

Have they ever explained this?

On the other hand, at least one of the girls doesn't spend eons doing dishes.

I was bedridden with a complication of vascular EDS. When going to cardiac rehab and PT/OT the first thing I was able to do again was the dishwasher. It was one of the 7 points of functional recovery from long term/chronic illness. At first I would only be able to stand do do a few dishes and have to lay down and worked my way up after 3 months to be able to unload or load the dishwasher without stopping. I was lucky when I was very sick my husband stayed up late loading the dishwasher at night and unloading in the morning. Even though I would have felt okay using paper plates during such a severe illness I wanted to use our extra money for something else. I felt guilty but I used our extra money towards the butcher who would pre-cut our meat, getting take out once a week, or having my husband take the kids somewhere special every week since we were all kind of stuck at home.

I can't even imagine why they can't use the commerical washer. My oldest has high functioning autism and works in the school kitchen and washes the dishes with the commerical washer. He says it is fun and very easy to use. There are kids who function much lower then him who use the commerical dishwasher so the Duggars have no excuse. Im sure some of the howler engery could be worked out using the dishwasher. I'll even give the Duggars a pass with paper plates when they lived in the small house but why buy the commerical kicthen and have 2 kitchens if they only are using part of them. Make one kitchen and get a school room(and the closet doesn't count!)

Instead of opening a can, maybe the Duggars can get fresh veggies and fruits and use a recycled bag. Saves a lot of resources. These people are just selfish.

There are alternatives to cream of crap soup using fresh ingredients. I think that the Duggar girls are just too busy to make the substitute.

This is tragic. I get very distressed when people don't recycle. To the extent that I have carried bottles or containers around for hours until I find a recycling bin. Luckily they are appearing more and more often in public.

Everything is a lot easier when you don't believe in global warming and think you are going to be raptured any moment. Then who cares if the land fills are overflowing!

I don't get why they have the shiny industrial dishwasher, yet they still use plastic everything. It takes minutes to do a load of dishes in that thing, and with all the howlers they have running around, there are enough people to load and unload it. Eating off real dishes still wouldn't take more than 4-5 loads a day.

Using paper plates and cups for parties maybe twice a year is one thing, but eating off plastic every single day? I don't get it. I guess this is my inner snob showing, but something about that is just so... Uncivilized. But then again, we're talking about the Duggars here.

I dont see why they use paper plates when they have a dishwasher. Surely all they need to do is ask each kid to put their plate in the dishwasher after theyve finished eating, then turn the dishwasher on, and then when its finished, someone can put the plates away. It would probably take them less than 10 minutes to put away each load, and could even be done by one of the kids, although seriously, what do Michelle and JimBob do other than advise people on how to parent, and breed like rabbits.

Let's not forget disposable diapers.

The average baby uses 5000 before potty training

5000 x 19 =95,000

It takes 250-500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose compared to 6 months for a reusable cloth diaper.

Let's not forget disposable diapers.

The average baby uses 5000 before potty training

5000 x 19 =95,000

It takes 250-500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose compared to 6 months for a reusable cloth diaper.

I'll give them a pass on that one. So many of my friends have tried cloth diapering, and exactly one of them used them until her kid was potty trained. Most of them gave up after less than a month. Of course none of my friend have 19 kids...

Do they really only eat twice a day? Not that I'd look forward to another meal like the ones they eat, but my kids always needed to eat about 6 times a day. Although not with plates and flatware at every meal.

Do they really only eat twice a day? Not that I'd look forward to another meal like the ones they eat, but my kids always needed to eat about 6 times a day. Although not with plates and flatware at every meal.

I'm assuming that's just to give them some benefit of the doubt. They might use real dishes every once in awhile, and they obviously eat out sometimes. But that's probably an underestimate, really.

It's ok guys, the whole world can fit in Jacksonville, and since the space you take up while standing is all you need to stay alive, we've got a whole 7 continents worth of space to bury our garbage!

I get upset by how they don't have each child responsible for themselves. They should bus their own dishes after each meal and load the dirty dishes into a dishwasher. They should at a minimum fold or hang their own laundry and take turns with the linens. They think with the jurisdictions that they are teaching responsibility, but they are not teaching self-sufficiency. The kids need to be responsible for themselves for the mess that they make and for what they use.

I get upset by how they don't have each child responsible for themselves. They should bus their own dishes after each meal and load the dirty dishes into a dishwasher. They should at a minimum fold or hang their own laundry and take turns with the linens. They think with the jurisdictions that they are teaching responsibility, but they are not teaching self-sufficiency. The kids need to be responsible for themselves for the mess that they make and for what they use.

I get upset by that stuff too. It would only take most of the family members about 30 to 60 seconds to load up their plates, silverware, and glasses into the dishwasher. One of the older kids or Mullet could load up the younger kids' dishes into the dishwasher.

Do they really use paper/plastic plates and disposable dishware that often? :o I've only seen the specials and a few moments from the shows over time, so I'm taking your words for it. I don't want to believe it! With so many kids to help, they really have no excuse.

Archived