IGNORED

Should I go for the snark factor? KJV Class

emilymea

I've had a ton of state mandated training the last couple days. One of the classes I had was on spiritual development. During the class the instructor (who is employed by the same church I work for currently) went on and on about KJV only for bible study (even though the church preaches in NIV). Then at the end she talked all about YEC and the creation museum.

Turns out the church I work at is having a conference by the guy from the creation museum - complete with children's activities about dinosaurs.

My poor brain can't wrap itself around this.

I'm pretty conservative religously and politically, but I'm a theistic evolutionist. This whole situation rubs me the wrong way.

Should I go for the snark factor?

If you think you can stomach it, then by all means go. Make sure you report back with your findings and of the type of people who went.

My parents' church had one and I had to leave because the guy was preaching out and out lies.

I'm confused...if you work at a church, why is there state-mandated training?

I guess I should explain that I work in the child care facility. The state requires so many hours of CDA approved training each year for all childcare workers in class A and class B facilities.

Haven't quite figured out how spiritual development falls under that category.

I've had a ton of state mandated training the last couple days. One of the classes I had was on spiritual development. During the class the instructor (who is employed by the same church I work for currently) went on and on about KJV only for bible study (even though the church preaches in NIV). Then at the end she talked all about YEC and the creation museum.

Turns out the church I work at is having a conference by the guy from the creation museum - complete with children's activities about dinosaurs.

My poor brain can't wrap itself around this.

I'm pretty conservative religously and politically, but I'm a theistic evolutionist. This whole situation rubs me the wrong way.

Should I go for the snark factor?

I was just curious, what is a theistic evolutionist? I've always thought there was room for belief in God-directed creation and evolution to co-exist (obviously I'm not a Young Earth-er), but I hadn't heard this term before.

Also, if you go to the conference, you could be a journalist and report here for the rest of us. Sounds like it could be interesting!

I personally would love to hear what these people say - I would guess there would be snarking galore.....but you belong to this church and I presume that you believe in many(?most) of their other beliefs and I suspect that many of your friends and family belong to this group. Would it cause problems for your job or your friends/family if you snarked? Would you lose your job? Would people shun you?

Snarking is all good clean fun till someone loses an eye (or job or friend as the case may be).

edited to add: If it won't cause problems for you I'd love to hear your snarking report!

I was just curious, what is a theistic evolutionist?

Theistic Evolutionist is someone who believes in evolution, and believes that evolution was either directed by God/Divine Being, or evolution is part of God's master design, or both.

If there is a Q/A can you please ask how the koala bears and kangaroos got to Australia, and only Australia. Did Noah drop them off on his way to Mt. Ararat, or did some of his sons take them over by boat afterward when they went to populate the continent. Thanks.

Theistic Evolutionist is someone who believes in evolution, and believes that evolution was either directed by God/Divine Being, or evolution is part of God's master design, or both.

Thanks! Nice to know there's a real name for what I believed after all my reading trying to make sense of evolution and creation because I guarantee you that my fundie education didn't teach me squat beyond the notion that God made the earth and Darwin is just plain eeeeeeevil.

If there is a Q/A can you please ask how the koala bears and kangaroos got to Australia, and only Australia. Did Noah drop them off on his way to Mt. Ararat, or did some of his sons take them over by boat afterward when they went to populate the continent. Thanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should you go? Don't you mean "should I rent a secret video camera hidden in a pair of glasses or should I get one to hide in my headcovering? YOu HAVE to go, its your duty as an FJ'er!!

Thanks for explaining for me, Alecto. I had to run across town to get something and missed the question.

I personally would love to hear what these people say - I would guess there would be snarking galore.....but you belong to this church and I presume that you believe in many(?most) of their other beliefs and I suspect that many of your friends and family belong to this group. Would it cause problems for your job or your friends/family if you snarked? Would you lose your job? Would people shun you?

Snarking is all good clean fun till someone loses an eye (or job or friend as the case may be).

edited to add: If it won't cause problems for you I'd love to hear your snarking report!

I don't think it would cause problems for me. No one at works knows my snarking habbit. I only work for this church and agree with them on most basic points, but I have my theological disagreements with them.

I may just go. It could be fun(ny)... or it could just give me a major head ache.

The nun who taught religion my senior year told us that God started evolution and when it reached a certain point, He gave humans an immortal soul. This nun was way ahead of her time since I was in HS in the 60's.

Please please PLEASE get copies of the handouts and scan/post them! Particularly the handouts for the children.

Also take your iphone (or digital camera) and take little movies of the talk and post that too.

I don't think it would cause problems for me. No one at works knows my snarking habbit. I only work for this church and agree with them on most basic points, but I have my theological disagreements with them.

I may just go. It could be fun(ny)... or it could just give me a major head ache.

In that case: looking forward to hearing your report!! :D

Should you go? Don't you mean "should I rent a secret video camera hidden in a pair of glasses or should I get one to hide in my headcovering? YOu HAVE to go, its your duty as an FJ'er!!

My thoughts exactly! :lol:

Just be sure to take some Aleve before you go, in case the headache part turns out to be true!

Bring a similarly-minded friend so when it gets too much you can look at each other, see your thoughts mirrored in each other's expressions, and burst into silent giggles - that's how my friend and I got through our last Bible study when it took a turn for the crazy conservative evangelical side of things...

Grrrr. Creationism is my pet peeve. I automatically get a visual of our society being flushed down the toilet when I hear the word.

Please go and report back. Meanwhile, I'll try to develop a sense of humor about all this.

Bahahahhahahaha. *dies laughing*

...and from the linked page;

The Bible is clear that representatives of all the kinds of air-breathing land animals and birds were present on the Ark. A technical term used by some creation scientists for these kinds is baramin—derived from the Hebrew words for created kind. Within these baramins is all the information necessary to produce all current species. For example, it is unlikely that the Ark contained two lions and two tigers. It is more likely that it contained two feline animals, from which lions, tigers, and other cat-like creatures have developed.

Do they mean by....EVOLUTION?? :doh:

Archived